LTH Home

Behold, the Instant Pot

Behold, the Instant Pot
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - December 1st, 2017, 12:37 pm
    Post #61 - December 1st, 2017, 12:37 pm Post #61 - December 1st, 2017, 12:37 pm
    Crock pot has now come out with their own version of the Instant Pot, and it is cheaper. Over at mashupmom, Rachael just posted yesterday an article that appeared recently in Comsumer Reports where they tried the seven functions of the Instant Pot, and compared the functions to their stand alone competitor. For instance they tried doing pressure cooking with the Instant Pot, and with a machine that only does pressure cooking, and compared the two machines. I will have to see if I can find the article. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #62 - December 1st, 2017, 1:03 pm
    Post #62 - December 1st, 2017, 1:03 pm Post #62 - December 1st, 2017, 1:03 pm
    Thanks Nancy, looks like it is this article: https://www.consumerreports.org/instant ... -face-off/
  • Post #63 - January 11th, 2018, 11:58 pm
    Post #63 - January 11th, 2018, 11:58 pm Post #63 - January 11th, 2018, 11:58 pm
    I love constantly stumbling upon stories that sing the praises of the Instant Pot, especially because they're coming from all segments of the cooking world . . .

The “Butter-Chicken Lady” Who Made Indian Cooks Love the Instant Pot

at newyorker.com, Priya Krishna wrote:Within a few months of posting her viral chicken recipe, Pitre had landed a book deal for the “Indian Instant Pot Cookbook,” which was released in September, 2017, by Rockridge Press, the publisher of the best-selling “The Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook.” Pitre’s book, which is officially endorsed by Instant Pot, includes recipes for making dal without pre-soaking the legumes; homemade paneer, an Indian cheese, in about fourteen minutes; and biryani, a complex rice dish that’s typically reserved for special occasions, in just five minutes (the secret is adding the rice in a thin, even layer on top of the vegetables, and then using the manual setting to cook the biryani on high pressure). Pitre is not the only food blogger to exploit the Instant Pot’s potential for Indian cooking. According to a representative from the company, India is among the most active countries on the Instant Pot Community Facebook group; at least twelve other cookbooks are devoted to I.P. Indian. But Pitre, who writes with wonky approachability and a droll willingness to answer just about any question (Q: “My family hates curry. Should we still try this?” A: “If all else fails, lie to your family and say this is an Italian . . . dish and see if they notice.”) has gained the most mainstream appeal. Her book has more than a hundred thousand copies in print.

=R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #64 - January 12th, 2018, 9:57 am
    Post #64 - January 12th, 2018, 9:57 am Post #64 - January 12th, 2018, 9:57 am
    I would consider one but the Bluetooth model is discontinued and the 1 * ratings on Amazon lead me to believe the product and quality control is still in it’s infancy.
    I will wait.-Richard
  • Post #65 - January 15th, 2018, 5:57 pm
    Post #65 - January 15th, 2018, 5:57 pm Post #65 - January 15th, 2018, 5:57 pm

I ended up trying this recipe the other day and it was very good. Right out of the box I'd give it a solid B-. However, by paying attention to my own cooking instincts and making a few minor, corresponding adjustments, I think the final product could have been greatly improved.

First, I should have bloomed the spices before just adding them raw to the pot. The recipe advises to add raw spices, undrained tomatoes and cut up chicken to the instant pot, per the recipe. The recipe also calls for quite a bit of butter that gets added in near the end. Some of this butter would have been easy enough to divert to the start of the recipe, which is what I should have done. I should first set the pot to Saute' mode, melted some of the butter (maybe 25% of it) and then added the spices to bloom them. Or, I should have seasoned the chicken with the spices and sauteed it in some of the butter before adding the tomatoes.

Secondly, the recipe calls for the cut-up chicken to be cooked in the IP for 10 minutes on High Pressure, after which it should be removed so you can use a stick blender to smooth out the sauce. This would have been much easier to accomplish had I not followed the instructions to the letter and cubed the chicken before cooking it (fwiw, I used boneless skinless thighs). Removing so many small pieces of cooked chicken from the IP was tedious and time-consuming, somewhat defeating the purpose of using the IP to begin with. Since the chicken eventually gets added back into the blended sauce anyway, I should have cooked those pieces whole and waited until after the initial 10-minutes on High Pressure to to cut it up.

I think that with these changes the recipe could be elevated from a B-, possibly even to somewhere in A territory. As it was, the dish fell somewhere in the upper-middle of versions I've had. It was very good; respectable but lacking some nuance that more careful cooking technique -- while still only using the IP -- would have almost certainly imparted.

=R=
    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain

Another beer before happy hour to put me in the mood for drinkin', uh huh huh, oh, forget thinkin' --Beaver Nelson

I find it a matter of note that in New York or Terre Haute, school cookies always seem to be oatmeal --Mr. French
  • Post #66 - January 19th, 2018, 4:22 am
    Post #66 - January 19th, 2018, 4:22 am Post #66 - January 19th, 2018, 4:22 am
    Not sure how long it will last but the 6 quart Ceramic Coated Non-Stick Inner Cooking Pot is currently available

https://store.instantpot.com/products/i ... er-pot-6qt

I bought 2 so I should be set for a good long time

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more