LTH Home

Bibimbap Recipe?

Bibimbap Recipe?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Bibimbap Recipe?

Post #1 - December 30th, 2014, 8:04 pm
    Post #1 - December 30th, 2014, 8:04 pm Post #1 - December 30th, 2014, 8:04 pm
    Santa brought me a Korean stone bowl (dolsot) for bibimbap. Plenty of recipes on the Internets, but hoping to get something tried and try from the fine folks here at LTHforum.
  • Post #2 - April 9th, 2018, 8:55 pm
    Post #2 - April 9th, 2018, 8:55 pm Post #2 - April 9th, 2018, 8:55 pm
    Hi Bill/SFNM--How did your Bibimbap experiments/experiences go? We've been tinkering with this at home and I just bought a few ceramic/clay pots from Joong Boo market to play around with. Would love to here tips from the pros...
  • Post #3 - April 16th, 2018, 7:28 am
    Post #3 - April 16th, 2018, 7:28 am Post #3 - April 16th, 2018, 7:28 am
    IMG_0202.jpg Bibimbap

Here's a recent version (pre-egg/ssamjang). We've done a lot of variations on this theme (not necessarily authentic) using whatever's in the vegetable bin. Still working on getting the clay pot heated properly for optimal rice crispiness but getting closer...
  • Post #4 - April 16th, 2018, 7:50 am
    Post #4 - April 16th, 2018, 7:50 am Post #4 - April 16th, 2018, 7:50 am
    thaiobsessed wrote: Still working on getting the clay pot heated properly for optimal rice crispiness but getting closer...

What method are you using to heat the dolsot? Hot oven? Blowtorch?
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #5 - April 16th, 2018, 7:55 pm
    Post #5 - April 16th, 2018, 7:55 pm Post #5 - April 16th, 2018, 7:55 pm
    What method are you using to heat the dolsot? Hot oven? Blowtorch?

Gas burner--I heat the dolsot about 5 minutes, add light coating of oil, then add cooked short grain rice and heat another 5 minutes (next time I'm going to do 8 minutes--I want the rice a tiny bit crispier).
  • Post #6 - April 16th, 2018, 8:10 pm
    Post #6 - April 16th, 2018, 8:10 pm Post #6 - April 16th, 2018, 8:10 pm
    thaiobsessed wrote:Hi Bill/SFNM--How did your Bibimbap experiments/experiences go? We've been tinkering with this at home and I just bought a few ceramic/clay pots from Joong Boo market to play around with. Would love to here tips from the pros...

Hi, thaiobsessed. Sorry to say the bowl remains unused. Not even sure where it is. But your post has inspired me to look for it. Any recipes you've used as a baseline?
  • Post #7 - April 21st, 2018, 1:37 pm
    Post #7 - April 21st, 2018, 1:37 pm Post #7 - April 21st, 2018, 1:37 pm
    Any recipes you've used as a baseline?

I've been winging it based on an amalgam of online recipes. It involves lots of steps but it's pretty easy to assemble.
    For most the vegetables, eg. carrots, bell peppers, zucchini, I slice/julienne/chop them as needed and saute individually in a little grape seed oil, then toss with a little soy, sugar and sesame oil. Same procedure for spinach and soy bean sprouts but I blanch them rather than saute. I've been using flank/skirt/hanger steak and I don't marinate it but I salt it/sear it over high heat, then toss with soy/sugar/sesame oil. I've been using sushi rice soaked for a few hours, then cooked in the rice cooker.
    To assemble, I heat the dolsots with a little vegetable oil, then add sushi rice and heat some more, then add the toppings +/- a fried egg and toss with ssamjang. For the ssamjang, I've been using a doenjang/gochujang mix (I make a base recipe with mostly doenjang, then add extra gochujang to mine--I like it spicy) with a little rice vinegar, crushed garlic, sugar or honey, sesame oil, +/- minced scallions. I've been making the ssamjang and vegetables a day in advance so that it's a pretty easy weeknight dinner to sear the steak and assemble.
    I don't make any claims about authenticity but it tastes pretty good. I haven't yet tried adding fernbrake or bellflower.
    I've also made it in a cast iron pan and that works nicely too
    It's a work in progress...
  • Post #8 - April 21st, 2018, 6:48 pm
    Post #8 - April 21st, 2018, 6:48 pm Post #8 - April 21st, 2018, 6:48 pm
    thaiobsessed wrote:
    .... It's a work in progress...

Thank you for taking the time to detail your process. I did find my dolsot, so maybe I'll give this a try next weekend. Again, thank you!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more