LTH Home

Carnivore, a Real Butcher Shop, Opening Today

• Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Carnivore, a Real Butcher Shop, Opening Today

Post #1 - August 23rd, 2014, 8:24 am
    Post #1 - August 23rd, 2014, 8:24 am Post #1 - August 23rd, 2014, 8:24 am

“We found out about three hours ago that we could open tomorrow,” said Carnivore co-owner Brad Knaub. It was yesterday afternoon, and I was biking to the gym, when I pulled over to see what was going on in the building on Pleasant near Marion. Peering in the window, I saw empty cases and cardboard boxes, some random vegetables on stacked crates, everything cleaned up but still in disarray. Knaub was in there, and he signaled me to come on in.

The place didn’t look like it was ready to open, but at that point, heck, there were still 18 hours or so before they planned to open on Saturday morning, and Knaub and his business partner Erik Williams seemed like they had the enthusiastic energy to stay up all night getting things ready.

Knaub told me they’d have beef and pork ready to go the following day (the day of this posting), plus some fish and more vegetables. Carnivore is buying whole animals to break down (they're real butchers), but they’ve also built up relationships with local farms and foragers, so there’s going to be a lot more available at Carnivore than just meat.

Right now, Knaub and Williams are trying to get the word out. To do that, they’ve been making meat on a grill in front of the store and giving it away. “We handed out 300 hamburgers,” said Knaub, all in the name of creating the buzz needed to get a new business going.

In Oak Park, years ago, we used to go to Blase’s on Lake Street near Ridgeland; it was a small butcher shop, and we went there a lot, because my kids and I kind of liked the way the old-timey butcher cut the meat by hand in front of us. After a few years, it closed.

Then when Marion Street Cheese Market moved from the north side of the tracks to the south, Erik Larson told me that it was his plan to open a real butcher shop serving sustainably raised meat and poultry. Then, the recession hit and those plans were, it seems, abandoned.

Blue Ribbon butcher shop has been going strong for many years, so despite the dashed dreams of Blase’s and the aborted Marion Street Cheese Market butcher shop, there’s still a chance a butcher store can make it in central Oak Park. Knaub and Williams seem like the guys who could do it.

As it turns out, I actually “met” Williams online probably 9 years ago on LTHForum.com. Knaub says he used to be a regular visitor to the forum as well, though he only lurked.

With the addition of Carnivore and, not too long from now, Sugar Beet, the food shopping opportunities in Oak Park are looking much brighter. Got to say, though, with a name like Carnivore, it’s likely the market will catch some heat from militant animal lovers.

Carnivore Oak Park
    1042 Pleasant Street
    773.368.5554 (Brad’s personal number; business number is still being worked out with AT&T)
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #2 - August 23rd, 2014, 10:06 am
    Post #2 - August 23rd, 2014, 10:06 am Post #2 - August 23rd, 2014, 10:06 am
    PTL!
  • Post #3 - August 30th, 2014, 2:09 pm
    Post #3 - August 30th, 2014, 2:09 pm Post #3 - August 30th, 2014, 2:09 pm
    Last night I was at a dinner party where I was served mussels purchased from this place, and today I stopped by to make my own purchases. I will have to say, sorry, upfront, that they prices are amazing. Really high. I understand where they are sourcing and all, and I also understand the need to pay for high quality, but hey. Ground meat was $8/lb; all the steaks and such topped $20 per. I do not think there were any cuts at all in the "everyday" price range. The fish was stunning in its gorgeousness, prettier than either Eataly or Boston Seafood in my opinion, but at prices, again, that seemed much more. The prices reminded me of a place in, like New York City or Harrod's Food Court. High.

That said, I very much liked what I ate last night and what I purchased today. Today's purchase included a long piece of breakfast sausage re-tied into chipolata style chubs; house-made bacon, cut to order, and house cold smoked salmon. I'll add that the service met the quality of the product. I am very glad they are close to me. I'm just not quite sure I can buy from them as much as I'd like.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #4 - August 31st, 2014, 9:31 am
    Post #4 - August 31st, 2014, 9:31 am Post #4 - August 31st, 2014, 9:31 am
    Vital Information wrote:Ground meat was $8/lb; all the steaks and such topped $20 per. I do not think there were any cuts at all in the "everyday" price range.

I am very glad they are close to me. I'm just not quite sure I can buy from them as much as I'd like.

We bought the ground beef on day one, and it was very, very good. I, too, was surprised at the price, but it was worth it.

I concur with the last sentiment and there's no doubt this is not an everyday meat market.
  • Post #5 - August 31st, 2014, 4:25 pm
    Post #5 - August 31st, 2014, 4:25 pm Post #5 - August 31st, 2014, 4:25 pm
    Are the prices more or less on par with Butcher & Larder, or are these even higher?
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #6 - September 29th, 2014, 1:47 pm
    Post #6 - September 29th, 2014, 1:47 pm Post #6 - September 29th, 2014, 1:47 pm
    stevez wrote:Are the prices more or less on par with Butcher & Larder, or are these even higher?

I guess about the same. Two things I would say differentiate the two places. First, the inventory, especially what's on display is larger at Carnivore--there's a lot less of that negotiate, what do you have aspect to shopping at the Oak Park place. Second, while there was goat tongue today and plenty of sausages, the overall offal-ness of Carnivore is lower.

OK, all that said, Carnivore really makes me want to become rich. I walk in and the store is absolutely filled with things I want to buy from locally foraged wild mushrooms (actually not that expensive) to duck confit to house made gefilte fish! I walked out today with beef cheeks, pastrami, italian sausage, eggs and house cold smoked salmon. Call it restraint.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #7 - September 29th, 2014, 7:45 pm
    Post #7 - September 29th, 2014, 7:45 pm Post #7 - September 29th, 2014, 7:45 pm
    What's the total amount of cash spent on the bottom of your receipt say?
  • Post #8 - October 17th, 2014, 1:42 pm
    Post #8 - October 17th, 2014, 1:42 pm Post #8 - October 17th, 2014, 1:42 pm
    This place is incredible, the people who run it are incredible, and the burger I bought yesterday for $8 was incredible. I wanted to take a picture of everything they had for sale so that I could plan a month's worth of menus around it all, it looked so good. They were loading some fresh fish onto the display ice when I was there, and the guys behind the counter were practically salivating at their beauty and the prospect of what they planned to do with them.
  • Post #9 - January 11th, 2015, 6:23 pm
    Post #9 - January 11th, 2015, 6:23 pm Post #9 - January 11th, 2015, 6:23 pm
    These guys are the best thing to happen to Oak Park in a long time:

• Post #10 - January 13th, 2015, 7:13 pm
    Post #10 - January 13th, 2015, 7:13 pm Post #10 - January 13th, 2015, 7:13 pm
    David Hammond wrote:These guys are the best thing to happen to Oak Park in a long time:

Agreed - I've been thrilled with the salmon, bacon, and duck breasts so far, justifiably dear as they are. They also have a small selection of citrus, garlic/shallots/onions, hardwood for smoking, and frozen soups and stews at favorable prices. The space has evolved since the first photos in this thread and even since the nice DH video, and looks great.

Note that lunch is extremely basic at the moment - four $8 options all involving throwing something in the case on the grill with some bread and basic accoutrement. For those keeping a ketchup tally, there is one bottle of Heinz in the back of house for an owner's buddy. The sausages revolve (Italian and merguez this week). Chips and drinks are available, and there is only seating for about 10-12 (four on stools). When there's a line at the counter people will be right on top of your eating area.
  • Post #11 - March 14th, 2018, 6:28 pm
    Post #11 - March 14th, 2018, 6:28 pm Post #11 - March 14th, 2018, 6:28 pm
    Reminded by the gnr nomination that I have yet to even step foot in this place:

Carnivore fans -
    Let's say I was a cheapskate, especially when it comes to overpriced food. I generally find myself scoffing at overpriced anything. I will, however, spend and splurge on plenty if it's really good.

For a cheapskate like me, what would you recommend I try, cooked or not, from Carnivore, that will guarantee I'd want to come back and try more? We eat EVERYTHING at the seebee house, so nothing's really off limits. I'd love to give this place a really fair shake, and either write it off, OR love it, and let the Mrs in on the secret of high priced gourmet store, which is right up her alley, even tho she can't cook - figure that one out. I'll go in with an open mind and open wallet. A one two punch of Carnivore / Sugar Beet after jr's Sunday hockey would be right up our alley for a fancy Sunday dinner.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #12 - March 14th, 2018, 8:06 pm
    Post #12 - March 14th, 2018, 8:06 pm Post #12 - March 14th, 2018, 8:06 pm
    Seebee, I'd recommend the bacon hamburger.
  • Post #13 - March 15th, 2018, 8:54 am
    Post #13 - March 15th, 2018, 8:54 am Post #13 - March 15th, 2018, 8:54 am
    David Hammond wrote:Seebee, I'd recommend the bacon hamburger.

I second this, and I think you'd also do OK adding a few links from the sausage selection.
  • Post #14 - March 15th, 2018, 10:55 am
    Post #14 - March 15th, 2018, 10:55 am Post #14 - March 15th, 2018, 10:55 am
    Weird, the bacon burger is one of the few things I'm not a fan of. But all the sausages, or the meat and fish, or the fried chicken sandwich, or getting there on chicken and waffle day or sushi day, or the prepared soups ... mmm. Some of my favorite things I've had have been prepared for organized dinners hosted in the store.
  • Post #15 - March 15th, 2018, 12:36 pm
    Post #15 - March 15th, 2018, 12:36 pm Post #15 - March 15th, 2018, 12:36 pm
    Their website is kinda sparse. I see a list of sandwiches, and their location. Do they have specific specials on certain days? From the Gnr nom, I see "Sushi Friday" (in warmer months.) Now I read "chicken and waffle day?"

You guys been keeping these things secrets?

I fully understand if it's just, "maybe there's a special, maybe there ain't."
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #16 - March 15th, 2018, 7:01 pm
    Post #16 - March 15th, 2018, 7:01 pm Post #16 - March 15th, 2018, 7:01 pm
    Ok, if I go to the Mercato delivery site, I can view some product.
    I'm scoffing at some of the Asian ingredients, like the super exotic Sambal Oelek, or the Roland Brand Rice Wine Vinegar ("ooooooooooooh, I wonder what that is, should we try it?") Ok, sorry, sorry, my bad.

I'ma try and buy a bunch of stuff this wknd - lil bit of everything. Ooo! Curry sausages definitely seem like they belong in my belly.

"Metropolitan Farms Whole Tilapia....$5.12/lb" Seriously?

You ppl better not be fkn with me about this place.
  • Post #17 - March 16th, 2018, 12:12 am
    Post #17 - March 16th, 2018, 12:12 am Post #17 - March 16th, 2018, 12:12 am
    seebee wrote:Their website is kinda sparse. I see a list of sandwiches, and their location. Do they have specific specials on certain days? From the Gnr nom, I see "Sushi Friday" (in warmer months.) Now I read "chicken and waffle day?"

You guys been keeping these things secrets?

I fully understand if it's just, "maybe there's a special, maybe there ain't."

That’s what it is. Also, the restaurant component is not really for dinnertime (Sundays they have generally closed at 5; other nights they may not be prepping hot food after 5, YMMV, call ahead and be charmed). Best success would be some summer weekday you happen to have a long lunchbreak when the produce is peak, seafood in full swing, time for a burger or grilled banger or merguez with caramelized veg. Winter though (now) they experiment with cured meats, still have great bread, root veg, mushrooms, pantry supplies. Try the refrigerated stocks and soups, ask for samples of the meats (the smoked turkey is sensational right now), talk to Brad, I think you’ll enjoy.
  • Post #18 - March 16th, 2018, 9:19 am
    Post #18 - March 16th, 2018, 9:19 am Post #18 - March 16th, 2018, 9:19 am
    All good.
    I'll buy a bunch of stuff to make dinner, and see how we fare. That was my plan, for the most part. The Mrs and I will want to try some of everything, I'm sure.
  • Post #19 - March 16th, 2018, 6:21 pm
    Post #19 - March 16th, 2018, 6:21 pm Post #19 - March 16th, 2018, 6:21 pm
    seebee wrote:"Metropolitan Farms Whole Tilapia....$5.12/lb" Seriously?

You ppl better not be fkn with me about this place.

The fish/seafood section is problematic. Last time I was in (two weeks or so ago), Eric told me if he had to do it over, he might not even put in a seafood counter. Perishability is a bigger problem with fish/seafood than with meat, and it's harder to move fish, which may have something to do with the name of the place. I, too, find the surf stuff a little on the high side...and when I walk in, I'm thinking meat. MEAT.
  • Post #20 - March 17th, 2018, 9:06 am
    Post #20 - March 17th, 2018, 9:06 am Post #20 - March 17th, 2018, 9:06 am
    The fish was interesting when they opened but now just cursory. They should just ditch it altogether.
    i used to milk cows

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more