LTH Home

Gravlax, a comparison between Atlantic and Copper River

Gravlax, a comparison between Atlantic and Copper River
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Gravlax, a comparison between Atlantic and Copper River

Post #1 - June 21st, 2004, 9:38 pm
    Post #1 - June 21st, 2004, 9:38 pm Post #1 - June 21st, 2004, 9:38 pm
    Last week, inspired by GWiv's post on his Copper River salmon gravlax. I went to Whole Foods and picked up two pieces of center cut CRS, skin on, about one pound each. The fish, along with three packages of dill set me back about $47. When I got home, I had to break out the needle nose plyers to remove the pin bones.

I used a pretty standard formula for the curing mixture. Kosher salt, sugar, cracked peppercorns, and the dill. Cured it for forty eight hours, turning it over every twelve hours, weighted down during the curing process.

I've got to say, this was some mighty tasty gravlax. The lovely Donna and I had it for breakfast Sunday morning on everything toasted bagels with sweet butter. The texture was like satin and not fishy at all. There was no need for capers, onion, etc...

This afternoon I drove over to Isaccson and Stein and picked up two pieces of Atlantic salmon fillet, skin on ($5.99 per pound), walking out of there for less than $13. It's funny to me that that the cheaper fish already had the pin bones removed. Much lighter in color but larger, thicker fillets, impeccably fresh. I wonder if they'll take a little bit longer to cure do to the thickness?

I am anxious to taste the Atlantic, and I predict that it will be almost as tasty as the CRS, and for 1/4 the price. Should be interesting.

Evil Ronnie
  • Post #2 - June 22nd, 2004, 10:23 am
    Post #2 - June 22nd, 2004, 10:23 am Post #2 - June 22nd, 2004, 10:23 am
    Can I ask which Whole Foods location had the CRS?

I stopped at the one on North Avenue on Friday evening to pick some up, and was pointed to the Atlantic Wild Salmon filets when I inquired about the Copper River Variety. When I restated my request the lone guy behind the counter just got surly and said "That's it, tight there!"

Dirk's was already closed at that point, but he had a gorgeous looking tuna loin that had already been cut into 3 steaks. I ended up making due with that.
    -Pete
  • Post #3 - June 22nd, 2004, 1:06 pm
    Post #3 - June 22nd, 2004, 1:06 pm Post #3 - June 22nd, 2004, 1:06 pm
    Same store Pete,

The countermen are a bit surly at that location. I was told that the new stuff comes in on Tuesdays. Chances are that much of the Monday merchandise has been hanging around since Friday.

Evil Ronnie
  • Post #4 - June 22nd, 2004, 1:28 pm
    Post #4 - June 22nd, 2004, 1:28 pm Post #4 - June 22nd, 2004, 1:28 pm
    When buying fish from Whole Foods, I highly recommend the store on Ashland and School for both quality of product and service over any other WF fish department I have ever been in.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #5 - June 22nd, 2004, 3:32 pm
    Post #5 - June 22nd, 2004, 3:32 pm Post #5 - June 22nd, 2004, 3:32 pm
    When buying fish from Whole Foods, I highly recommend the store on Ashland and School for both quality of product and service over any other WF fish department I have ever been in.

That doesn't speak well of the quality of Whole Food's fish. I live just a few blocks from that Whole Foods and I still go to Dirk's for all my fish, which in my post-pregnant state is at least once a week. I have had such terrible fish from that Whole Foods - at least three or four bad experiences that turned me off so completely that I don't even walk near the fish counter.
    MAG
    www.monogrammeevents.com

"I've never met a pork product I didn't like."
  • Post #6 - June 22nd, 2004, 3:49 pm
    Post #6 - June 22nd, 2004, 3:49 pm Post #6 - June 22nd, 2004, 3:49 pm
    MAG wrote:

That doesn't speak well of the quality of Whole Food's fish. I live just a few blocks from that Whole Foods and I still go to Dirk's for all my fish, which in my post-pregnant state is at least once a week. I have had such terrible fish from that Whole Foods - at least three or four bad experiences that turned me off so completely that I don't even walk near the fish counter.

I'm surprised. My experiences ther have been quite the opposite.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #7 - June 23rd, 2004, 8:25 am
    Post #7 - June 23rd, 2004, 8:25 am Post #7 - June 23rd, 2004, 8:25 am
    The New York Times has a great article about wild Yukon Salmon in its food edition today. Does anyone know of a source for it here in Chicago?

The article is linked below. Membership is required. But its free.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/23/dining/23SALM.html
  • Post #8 - June 23rd, 2004, 10:11 pm
    Post #8 - June 23rd, 2004, 10:11 pm Post #8 - June 23rd, 2004, 10:11 pm
    Evil Ronnie wrote:I've got to say, this was some mighty tasty gravlax.

Evil,

As they say in BBQ circles, you done flung a craving on me. I see gravlax in my very near future.

Enjoy,
    Gary
  • Post #9 - June 23rd, 2004, 10:51 pm
    Post #9 - June 23rd, 2004, 10:51 pm Post #9 - June 23rd, 2004, 10:51 pm
    Gary,

Just removed those pieces of Atlantic from the cure, and you know it's pretty darn good stuff. A little less fatty and rich, but for $6 a pound, it's hard to beat. Coincidentally, I picked up some bagels and bialys at NYBB yesterday so with some sweet butter, looks like I'm set for the weekend. Nice color but not as red as the king or sockeye. Looks as though the Copper River season is over. Whole Foods only advertised line caught kings in today's newspaper.

I'd love to get one of those Yukon River Kings. Sounds like they'd be good hot smoked.

I look at so much salmon at the club that it's hard to get excited about it, but it was your post that inspired me to do gravlax.

Evil Ronnie

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more