LTH Home

hummus bil'tahina (hummus w/ tahini حُمُّص)

hummus bil'tahina (hummus w/ tahini حُمُّص)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - March 10th, 2015, 6:29 pm
    Post #61 - March 10th, 2015, 6:29 pm Post #61 - March 10th, 2015, 6:29 pm
    gastro gnome wrote:I've been making hummus based on this recipe for the last few years. As mentioned upthread, I think that buying better quality tahini was the best thing the quality of the hummus. But following these simple steps has always yielded a tasty project. I did like the recent versions I've been making with dried beans enough to consider buying a pressure cooker.

Will just about any one do the job or does it matter what type I buy? Darren72, do you also use it for canning?

Disclaimer: I am NOT a canning expert but there are multiple very experienced canners that post here - and I'd defer to them for more info on good candidates for PC's that both cook and can. With the rise in popularity of counter-top electric pressure cookers it's important to note that the National Center for Home Food Preservation doesn't support the use of *any* electric multi-purpose cookers for pressure canning: http://www.hippressurecooking.com/consu ... i-cookers/
    I point this out only because, as noted in the linked article, some of the makers of these devices were claiming they were safe for pressure canning (and apparently one still is).

Many stovetop pressure cookers may be used for pressure canning with the usual downside being their much more limited capacity vs a dedicated pressure canner (which may or may not matter depending on your desired quantity).
    Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
  • Post #62 - June 14th, 2018, 11:52 am
    Post #62 - June 14th, 2018, 11:52 am Post #62 - June 14th, 2018, 11:52 am
    First time making hummus specifically from this recipe. It's good, thank you for the details.

I cooked my own chickpeas from dried, and skinned maybe 2/3 of them. I did not use any baking soda in the cooking. It did not end up perfectly smooth, but I don't think it was the skins. Each chickpea had a little tiny bit (the radicle) that is a little harder than the rest of the bean, even after a lot of cooking, and those didn't grind much. I wonder if different beans would make a lot of difference, or if sometimes you just get beans that maybe have germinated a little. These were from Local Foods Market bulk bin. I'm not sure I've noticed that before.

I used Soom tahini (available at Plum Market) since I had heard good things about it. I added a little too much of the cooking water, so it was a bit loose - it didn't hold a "moat". Now that I'm eating it cold, the next day, it's stiffer.

See here for your chickpea anatomy lesson
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #63 - June 14th, 2018, 12:25 pm
    Post #63 - June 14th, 2018, 12:25 pm Post #63 - June 14th, 2018, 12:25 pm
    leek wrote:I used Soom tahini (available at Plum Market) since I had heard good things about it.

Thanks for the post leek - I didn't know that Soom was available here. I've been buying it on Amazon for a few years since Solomonov raved about it. Of course, it's local to Philadelphia, but he's right . . . it's better than most others I've tried. I've also heard the homemade tahini at Middle Eastern Grocery (Foster & Clark) is excellent but I've yet to try it.
  • Post #64 - June 14th, 2018, 1:33 pm
    Post #64 - June 14th, 2018, 1:33 pm Post #64 - June 14th, 2018, 1:33 pm
    I had erroneously stated that the Soom tahini at Plum was organic - I bought the regular in a 16oz jar, the packaging color is the same as the organic, but this was not that.

edited to fix error
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more