LTH Home

Misadventures in Lamb Shanks Vol 2: Broken bones and ashes

Misadventures in Lamb Shanks Vol 2: Broken bones and ashes
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Misadventures in Lamb Shanks Vol 2: Broken bones and ashes

Post #1 - March 18th, 2013, 7:47 am
    Post #1 - March 18th, 2013, 7:47 am Post #1 - March 18th, 2013, 7:47 am
    You may remember last year's lamb shank adventure where I broke my countertop with 48 hours of heating from a sous vide vessel.

Well, Passover approaches again, and so again I'm making tasty lamb shanks more than a week ahead of time. Why so early? For one, I do a demo seder for the confirmation class at St Pauls UCC every year the Sunday before Pesach (SueF is head of the Youth Education committee, so I get volunteered) -- and this year it's a week earlier than that, since the following Sunday is Easter.

So the last time I was in H-Mart, I bought a very meaty lamb shank, with more than just the usual skinny shanky muscles (soleus?) -- it had a small fist-sized knob barely hanging on (probably gastrocnemius). Delicious. Tossed it in the freezer without rewrapping (shameful, but it was only a few days).

When I thawed it out, I flipped it out of the foam tray, and found that the shank bone had been sliced through in about six places, miraculously barely cutting any meat at all. But that makes a pretty stupid-looking sacrificial lamb bone -- what, am I going to thread them on a string? Whose idea was this? I realize I'll get more marrow and flavor in the sauce, but, but, no lamb shank bone.

Being March 17th, I looked for Irish lamb stews. Some called for beer of several varieties including an ale. Others called for bacon... hey wait, I've got this bottle of Maple Bacon Ale someone gave me as a gift. That would be perfect! (note, I am aware of the sacreligiosity of using pork on the passover sacrifice. I don't really care)

I tasted it: not liking beer much at all, I'm no expert, but this stuff reminded me of a hoppy version of what's left in the water pan after a long cook on my Weber Smoky Mountain: more ashtray than bacon (it contains smoked malted barley as well as applewood bacon)... but I was hopeful the ashy flavor would get tamed by cooking. After BTB/RTS (thanks, Anne Burrell, for that shortcut) it was still rather hoppy-bitter (a little sugar, a pinch more salt), but not too smoky. I was worried a half-hour later when the kitchen smelled like my WSM, but apparently those flavors are rather volatile, as the finished dish has very little smoke flavor at all -- quite rich, with tender meat and near-pureed veg. I plan on serving tonight, reheated and simmered with some potatoes.

Sacrificial Sacrilege Stew
    Serves 2
    1 Meaty lamb shank
    Flour, salt and pepper
    2 Tbs olive oil
    2 carrots, cut into coins
    2 short stalks celery, cut into thin moons
    1 medium onion
    1.5 cups diced mushroom
    2 tbs tomato paste
    Bacon Maple Ale to cover to 3/4 height of the shank
    1/2 tsp Thyme
    2 bay leaves

Preheat oven to 350F
    Remove as much silverskin from the shank as possible. It's not really possible, but the thought counts.
    Dust with flour, sprinkle salt and pepper
    Heat oil in a dutch oven on high
    Brown the meat on all sides, about 2 minutes per side
    Remove the meat to a platter, add the celery, carrot and onion to the pan and turn the heat to medium. Cook until softened. Add the tomato paste and stir until it coats everything, about a minute. It may darken somewhat.
    Add the mushrooms and cook another 2 minutes.
    Add the Thyme and Bay, then return the meat to the pan. Add enough ale to bring it up to about 3/4 the height of the meat.
    Bring to Boil, then reduce heat and taste, adjusting for salt and perhaps sugar (about 1 tsp)
    Place in oven for two hours. The sauce may have reduced a bit much, dilute with water or stock or it may be a little salty. Serve.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #2 - March 25th, 2013, 6:40 am
    Post #2 - March 25th, 2013, 6:40 am Post #2 - March 25th, 2013, 6:40 am
    JoelF, I love this -especially your name for the recipe. I've never thought to use beer with lamb, only wine, so this might be something new to try.

I'm also recalling a UCC Seder I helped shop and cook for years ago - we had 14 tables, so we needed 14 lamb shanks for 14 ritual foods plates. I put a good bit of mileage on the car for a couple of weeks before the event looking for that many lamb shanks all over rural Connecticut. However, we were rewarded even before the big day with lots of lamb to eat.
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #3 - March 25th, 2013, 7:45 am
    Post #3 - March 25th, 2013, 7:45 am Post #3 - March 25th, 2013, 7:45 am
    I eventually managed to get a bone for this week, but it was a close thing. The butcher near me, Ascot Meats, said they'd have one for me by Friday, but when I got there, he said that he'd gotten shorted on lamb by his supplier, and didn't have shanks to bone out. I've yet to buy a nice steak from Ascot, I mostly rely on them for odd things such as chicken skin, but their stuff always looks good.

Luckily Mariano's in Arlington Heights was able to help out. The meat counter initially said they didn't think they had anything, and checked, and said no, but then one of the other butchers said, "Are you looking for a seder bone?" and went off in search, eventually finding something (and charging nothing for it).

Ascot Prime Meats
    5 North Wolf Road
    Prospect Heights, IL 60070
    (847) 297-6651
    http://ascot-meats.com

Mariano's Fresh Market
    802 E Northwest Hwy
    Arlington Hts, IL 60004
    (847) 253-5439
    http://www.marianosfreshmarket.com/
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #4 - March 25th, 2013, 8:31 am
    Post #4 - March 25th, 2013, 8:31 am Post #4 - March 25th, 2013, 8:31 am
    You can always get seder bones at Sunset, too, and they usually don't charge as well.
    Plus I see gorgeous lamb shanks (w meat) all the time at Fresh Farms.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more