LTH Home

savory chocolate ideas?

savory chocolate ideas?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • savory chocolate ideas?

Post #1 - June 25th, 2012, 2:54 pm
    Post #1 - June 25th, 2012, 2:54 pm Post #1 - June 25th, 2012, 2:54 pm
    Hi Forumites,
    I am looking for ideas for 1 or 2 taste treats that incorporate chocolate in a savory way. Snacks rather than entrees (i.e. not mole) as they will be served at a stand-up after-dinner party - would love your thoughts about things beyond chocolate dipped pretzels.
  • Post #2 - June 25th, 2012, 5:28 pm
    Post #2 - June 25th, 2012, 5:28 pm Post #2 - June 25th, 2012, 5:28 pm
    I have a cocoa infused balsamic vinegar which makes an excellent vinaigrette in a salad with died fruits - you need the sweetness to offset bitter greens and cocoa.

I've seen chocolate/olive mixtures but the don't do anything for me.

With a creamy cheese and nuts you can make a cheese ball that includes chocolate
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #3 - June 25th, 2012, 6:25 pm
    Post #3 - June 25th, 2012, 6:25 pm Post #3 - June 25th, 2012, 6:25 pm
    If you're against mole, that's fine, but don't say you're against it because it can only be served as an entree. I'm feeling little one bite puff pastry shells filled with a dot of mole and shredded duck. Perhaps a piece of roasted cauliflower for the vegetarian types.

Mole rubbed wings (sauceless)
    cumin
    garlic
    onion
    chocolate
    cinnamon
    chile
    yougetthedrift

I'm gonna try wings like this real soon. Balancing the chocolate powder sounds really tricky.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #4 - June 25th, 2012, 8:09 pm
    Post #4 - June 25th, 2012, 8:09 pm Post #4 - June 25th, 2012, 8:09 pm
    seebee wrote:If you're against mole, that's fine, but don't say you're against it because it can only be served as an entree. I'm feeling little one bite puff pastry shells filled with a dot of mole and shredded duck. Perhaps a piece of roasted cauliflower for the vegetarian types.

Mole rubbed wings (sauceless)
    cumin
    garlic
    onion
    chocolate
    cinnamon
    chile
    yougetthedrift

I'm gonna try wings like this real soon. Balancing the chocolate powder sounds really tricky.

Yeah, along the lines of what seebee mentions, I've done lamb chops dusted with cocoa, cinnamon and ground hot chile peppers . . . so, along the lines of a mole, but different and a great and easy appetizer. I can't see why you can't apply that same mix of three to nuts or other snack-type items . . . or just lamb or the like.
  • Post #5 - June 26th, 2012, 6:52 am
    Post #5 - June 26th, 2012, 6:52 am Post #5 - June 26th, 2012, 6:52 am
    Clever, Seebee, thanks! I hadn't thought to devise puff-pastry as the vehicle, but that does sound good!
  • Post #6 - June 26th, 2012, 1:40 pm
    Post #6 - June 26th, 2012, 1:40 pm Post #6 - June 26th, 2012, 1:40 pm
    Vosges did a chocolate bar with mushrooms in it.
    http://www.cocova.com/default/products/ ... shroom-bar
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #7 - June 26th, 2012, 2:08 pm
    Post #7 - June 26th, 2012, 2:08 pm Post #7 - June 26th, 2012, 2:08 pm
    Pie Lady wrote:Vosges did a chocolate bar with mushrooms in it.
    http://www.cocova.com/default/products/ ... shroom-bar

I was so pumped to try that one, but ended up disappointed because, like all
    Vosges chocolates, the flavors were just too subtle. It tasted like a regular chocolate bar, only with the slightest hint of earthiness.
  • Post #8 - June 26th, 2012, 2:13 pm
    Post #8 - June 26th, 2012, 2:13 pm Post #8 - June 26th, 2012, 2:13 pm
    I'll say. But it was a neat idea.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #9 - October 17th, 2018, 7:55 am
    Post #9 - October 17th, 2018, 7:55 am Post #9 - October 17th, 2018, 7:55 am
    I made mocha hummus once, some people loved it, others didn't like it or wouldn't try it. Sorry, I didn't measure, but perhaps the question marks for sauce is 1 and the others are 2. But you can put in less, than add to taste after everything else is blended together. You might also try mint extract instead of coffee...I think I will. Or....no I'll keep this idea secret till I try it.

The 1/3 can of chick peas is because I open one can and make three flavors, each in small serving container with a stick blender so there is minimal cleanup.

Chocolate Hummus

1/3 can drained chick peas,
    ? T Chocolate Sauce,
    ? T cocoa powder,
    ? t decaf instant coffee
    1 T Tahini
    1 T lime juice,
    1 T olive oil
    1 clove garlic (diced)
    Chick pea liquid as needed
    --Carey aka underdog

Contact