LTH Home

The Spice House

The Spice House
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 5
  • The Spice House

Post #1 - September 14th, 2011, 1:03 pm
    Post #1 - September 14th, 2011, 1:03 pm Post #1 - September 14th, 2011, 1:03 pm
    Just visited the Spice House for the first time. Learned about them in one of my culinary classes. Was at the location in Geneva. I thought it was a great place. Big selection, friendly and knowledgable staff, and the place smelled great. The prices seemed reasonable, but have nothing to compare it to. I was wondering if anyone knows about any other spice places that I can check out. I live in the far northwest suburbs, but am willing to drive for a good place. Thanks for any info anyone can send my way.
  • Post #2 - September 14th, 2011, 1:08 pm
    Post #2 - September 14th, 2011, 1:08 pm Post #2 - September 14th, 2011, 1:08 pm
    http://www.penzeys.com/

Terrible website, awesome stores.
  • Post #3 - September 14th, 2011, 2:03 pm
    Post #3 - September 14th, 2011, 2:03 pm Post #3 - September 14th, 2011, 2:03 pm
    lunanoir wrote:http://www.penzeys.com/

Terrible website, awesome stores.

Actually, the penzeys site is not related to The Spice House -- or, rather, it's related but not the same. The Spice House is the family business that goes back a generation, and which was taken over by Patty Penzey Erd and her husband Tom Erd. Then Patty's brother started up Penzey's, to compete with his sister's business. Penzey's is okay for what it is, but it's not as fine or amazing as The Spice House.

http://www.thespicehouse.com/

And The Spice House has a wonderful website. Makes you dream of all the things you could be making.
    Last edited by Cynthia on September 14th, 2011, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #4 - September 14th, 2011, 2:05 pm
    Post #4 - September 14th, 2011, 2:05 pm Post #4 - September 14th, 2011, 2:05 pm
    I know they aren't related, she asked for other spice stores to check out besides The Spice House.
  • Post #5 - September 14th, 2011, 2:06 pm
    Post #5 - September 14th, 2011, 2:06 pm Post #5 - September 14th, 2011, 2:06 pm
    lunanoir wrote:I know they aren't related, she asked for other spice stores to check out besides The Spice House.

Sorry. With no quote from the OP, I thought your comment was referring to The Spice House post in general -- especially since no website was given for The Spice House.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #6 - September 17th, 2011, 7:51 am
    Post #6 - September 17th, 2011, 7:51 am Post #6 - September 17th, 2011, 7:51 am
    Just to add info...

The Spice House has three locations in the Chicago area (Evanston, Geneva, and Chicago/Old Town) and two in Milwaukee. Penzey's has two locations in the Chicago area (Naperville, Oak Park) and several dozen nationwide.
  • Post #7 - September 17th, 2011, 3:26 pm
    Post #7 - September 17th, 2011, 3:26 pm Post #7 - September 17th, 2011, 3:26 pm
    Somewhat surprisingly, there is no previous dedicated thread here about The Spice House but it is mentioned all over our forums. It also happens to be a Great Neighborhood Resource and here's a link to its nomination thread, where links to several other mentions are provided:

The Spice House, which earns its praise every day

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #8 - June 16th, 2012, 2:52 pm
    Post #8 - June 16th, 2012, 2:52 pm Post #8 - June 16th, 2012, 2:52 pm
    A quick thread bump for a place that doesn't get enough press on LTH (not that everyone doesn't love it, just doesn't get mentioned much).

I swung by the Old Town location this morning to re-stock my spice shelf. As always, the staff was extremely helpful and set me up with everything I needed in quick order. I can think of no other retail establishment that I enjoy visiting as much (or smells as good!)

-Dan
  • Post #9 - February 21st, 2013, 12:02 pm
    Post #9 - February 21st, 2013, 12:02 pm Post #9 - February 21st, 2013, 12:02 pm
    Tom and Patty Erd, owners of the The Spice House, are talking spices on Wisconsin Public Radio: http://stream.wpr.org/wpr/jca/jca130221c.mp3
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #10 - April 6th, 2015, 3:31 pm
    Post #10 - April 6th, 2015, 3:31 pm Post #10 - April 6th, 2015, 3:31 pm
    Patty Erd (Cinnamon Girl) is quoted in the recently posted FiveThirtyEight piece discussing spice trends, Out With The Caraway, In With The Ginger: 50 Years Of American Spice Consumption.

--
    edc
  • Post #11 - April 8th, 2015, 6:00 pm
    Post #11 - April 8th, 2015, 6:00 pm Post #11 - April 8th, 2015, 6:00 pm
    Just wanted to add that as a long, long time customer of the Evanston/Central St. location, I find Spice House to be by far the best source for ground chile by variety. They carry a TON of them - New Mexican, Ancho, Guajillo, Pasilla, Chilpotle, and several others, as well as very high quality Mexican oregano, both whole leaf and ground, which is tough to find (the standard-issue stuff found at Mexican groceries is full of twigs, and it's a pain in the ass to clean). Buen provecho!

The Spice House
    1941 Central Street
    Evanston, IL 60201
    847-328-3711
  • Post #12 - April 9th, 2015, 7:37 pm
    Post #12 - April 9th, 2015, 7:37 pm Post #12 - April 9th, 2015, 7:37 pm
    It is hard to choose, but my 2 favorites from The Spice House are Schezuan peppercorns and Smoked paprika.
  • Post #13 - April 8th, 2017, 5:33 pm
    Post #13 - April 8th, 2017, 5:33 pm Post #13 - April 8th, 2017, 5:33 pm
    Article by Caitlin Penzey Moog, of The Spice House family: Salt grinders are bullshit, and other lessons from growing up in the spice trade
  • Post #14 - April 8th, 2017, 5:55 pm
    Post #14 - April 8th, 2017, 5:55 pm Post #14 - April 8th, 2017, 5:55 pm
    Nice read - Thanks!
  • Post #15 - April 8th, 2017, 6:01 pm
    Post #15 - April 8th, 2017, 6:01 pm Post #15 - April 8th, 2017, 6:01 pm
    excelsior wrote:Article by Caitlin PenzeyMoog, of The Spice House family : http://www.avclub.com/article/salt-grin ... owi-253193

I loved this piece. Thanks for posting it.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #16 - April 8th, 2017, 6:18 pm
    Post #16 - April 8th, 2017, 6:18 pm Post #16 - April 8th, 2017, 6:18 pm
    excelsior wrote:Article by Caitlin Penzey Moog, of The Spice House family: Salt grinders are bullshit, and other lessons from growing up in the spice trade

This . . . "Don’t put your salt in a grinder. All you’re doing is making your salt smaller than it was before."

This . . . "There’s never been a scientifically rigorous study that’s linked MSG with any negative effects."

And this . . . "Chocolate is far more vanilla than vanilla."

Great stuff - thanks for the link.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #17 - April 10th, 2017, 5:28 pm
    Post #17 - April 10th, 2017, 5:28 pm Post #17 - April 10th, 2017, 5:28 pm
    My niece Caity has this incredible job as deputy managing editor at The A.V. Club. She gets to do some really cool stuff, like recently she interviewed George Saunders in person. She also volunteered my Mom to do an interview with Dick Van Dyke, as they wanted the interviewer to be of the same generation. How fun is that? Sadly, her days of helping out at The Spice House are behind her!
  • Post #18 - April 11th, 2017, 12:49 pm
    Post #18 - April 11th, 2017, 12:49 pm Post #18 - April 11th, 2017, 12:49 pm
    excelsior wrote:Article by Caitlin Penzey Moog, of The Spice House family: Salt grinders are bullshit, and other lessons from growing up in the spice trade

I loved this piece too. Thanks for sharing excelsior! Caity paints a vivid picture of her grandparents' spice shop and the photos are fun too:

The large back room bore witness to my grandparents’ esoterica, jumbled onto yet more shelves, which overflowed with spices and their appurtenances, cookbooks and philosophical treatises, photos of Julia Child cooking with our spices next to photos of my siblings and me mixing seasonings as toddlers, art projects and paints, Hershey bars and mint gum, tiny boxes from China containing cloves, and sheaves of paper of extensive handwritten notes.
  • Post #19 - January 13th, 2018, 2:20 pm
    Post #19 - January 13th, 2018, 2:20 pm Post #19 - January 13th, 2018, 2:20 pm
    Hey all.
    Looking for a new spice blend to try from the Spice House. I went through a phase a long time ago of caring about their blends and trying different ones, but I kinda got burnt out, and just started using individual spices. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Spice House, but, I've just settled into buying individual spices, and only having one or two of my go-to blends. The wife cleaned out the spice cab a few weeks ago, and we had a bunch of stuff that was old and neglected - tossable. For blends, think I could survive with only:

Galena Rib Rub
    Wiviott's rub
    Pullman (This past summer, I've deemed Pullman by far my favorite for everyday seasoning for sauteed vegetables, starches, and meats. It's just my all time favorite "go to.")
    Salt Free Adobo

Once in a while, the wife will replenish the individual spices we go through, and inevitably, come home with two jars of things that will be thrown away in a year. I'm pretty sure I'd do the same thing if I went - she just goes far more frequently than me.

Anyone have an endorsement for a SH blend or anything else I can mention to the wife to secifically get? I cook anything and everything. For the most part, I'm not interested in their Indian inspired stuff - I like to go to Indian Grocers for that stuff.

Cross referencing their site:
    - Argyle (had it, not useful)
    - Back Of The Yards (similar to Pullman, but I like Pullman 1k times better)
    - Chicago Steak - Pullman is still better
    - Lake Shore Drive - I actually liked this a lot, but it's pretty simple to replicate using
    individual spices that you pretty much already have on hand.
    - Sunny Paris - ditto
    - Milwaukee Ave Steak - Pullman is better.
    - Ukie Village blend - Pullman is better.
    - Old World Central - This was the only thing I think I've ever NOT liked from SH
    - Thai Red Curry - not bad or anything, but, I'm making my own paste, or using Maesri.
    - Jamaican Jerk - laughable, imo.

Anyone become a fan of a particular blend? I'd like to give it a whirl.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #20 - January 14th, 2018, 8:02 am
    Post #20 - January 14th, 2018, 8:02 am Post #20 - January 14th, 2018, 8:02 am
    We've used the Bicentennial Rub quite a bit over the years. Particularly good on poultry. You have to like black pepper to enjoy this one. I believe this is one of their longest running mixes.

We have been using their Street Cart Shawarma spice quite a bit lately. Just chop up some thighs and saute with a heavy sprinkle of this. Very quick and tasty for a midweek dinner. I've even put it on scrambled eggs.
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #21 - January 14th, 2018, 8:51 am
    Post #21 - January 14th, 2018, 8:51 am Post #21 - January 14th, 2018, 8:51 am
    seebee wrote:Galena Rib Rub
    Wiviott's rub
    Pullman (This past summer, I've deemed Pullman by far my favorite for everyday seasoning for sauteed vegetables, starches, and meats. It's just my all time favorite "go to.")
    Salt Free Adobo

Seebee,

As I know you like heat, balanced heat at that, I made up Gunpowder wing rub a year or so ago that I have The Spice House blend for Barn & Co, its one of 9 house made rubs and sauces we use on our wings. Gunpowder is what Texans call powdered jalapeno, though there are 8 spices and wee bit of brown sugar for balance in the blend. We also have Fire wing rub which is Wiviott rub with the addition of powdered habanero, sounds right up your alley.

Though Gunpowder and our BBQ rubs are only for Barn, Spice house produces rubs and blends for some restaurants with the chefs proprietary blends, I will let you have some Gunpowder rub to try. For example Spice House blends our main brisket, pork and chicken rubs, which I developed, though we add kosher salt and a bit of brown sugar for balance at the restaurant. This way its fresher, we pick it up once a week or so in set batches, easier on the morning prep cook and consistent in flavor.

One of the Spice House blends I use/enjoy, both at Barn and home, is herbs de Provence, no heat but tasty . Glad you dig the Spice House Wiviott Rub. Also, both my books Low & Slow 1 & 2 have lots of spice and BBQ rubs in them, you might like a few.

Re: Maesri Thai curry paste, I've been mixing equal parts green with yellow mustard for years as a BBQ slather, give it a try. I think you will be surprised at the mellow yet well defined spice flavor this brings to low slow smoked or grilled meats.

The Spice House, Count me a Fan!
    Last edited by G Wiv on January 15th, 2018, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #22 - January 15th, 2018, 7:43 am
    Post #22 - January 15th, 2018, 7:43 am Post #22 - January 15th, 2018, 7:43 am
    Seebee,

Just to confirm - the Pullman mix you have found to be the best is the Pullman Pork Chop Seasoning? Checking because I would like to give it a try.
  • Post #23 - January 15th, 2018, 8:50 am
    Post #23 - January 15th, 2018, 8:50 am Post #23 - January 15th, 2018, 8:50 am
    bw77 -
    Yes, that's the one. I've also had the Bicentennial, and I fully prefer the Pullman. The Pullman is also pepper forward, BUT, the hickory smoke powder is the draw for me. I'm sure that's a big reason why I tend to reach for it as a default. Looks like to has less salt than the Bicentennial, so if you do try it, you might have to adjust the salt level you've been used to and add your own.

Gary -
    If your cue rub is doing well on the shelf, I'd be surprised if your wing rubs wouldn't follow suit? I'd be a buyer. You've NAILED the heat level for my taste with that cue rub. Truth be told, I'm not sucking up, but I have a few "everyday" rubs that I use interchangeably, and even mix together to make larger batches of a rub for bigger smokes (like for parties or standard guests.) BUT, I bust out the Wiv rub for when I'm doing something special for the fam.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #24 - January 16th, 2018, 8:49 pm
    Post #24 - January 16th, 2018, 8:49 pm Post #24 - January 16th, 2018, 8:49 pm
    Hmm..we are addicted to the Milwaukee Ave. seasoning. It’s a staple in our household. Will definitely be picking-up some Pullman next visit.
  • Post #25 - January 16th, 2018, 9:04 pm
    Post #25 - January 16th, 2018, 9:04 pm Post #25 - January 16th, 2018, 9:04 pm
    The Gateway to the North maple seasoning is really good on pork.
  • Post #26 - January 16th, 2018, 10:33 pm
    Post #26 - January 16th, 2018, 10:33 pm Post #26 - January 16th, 2018, 10:33 pm
    Yes Gateway to the North gives beef a teriyaki taste.And it's excellent on pork.So is the sweet chili garlic.Hard to pick just one.Lake Shore seasoning would be up there as well as Ukranian Village.Ukranian Village however has a Very High Sodium level or I would use it more.
  • Post #27 - January 17th, 2018, 8:51 am
    Post #27 - January 17th, 2018, 8:51 am Post #27 - January 17th, 2018, 8:51 am
    I guess this is an indication of why they need many varieties - to me, Gateway to the North is too sweet. In fact, just about anything Teriyaki-like tastes too sweet to me. Its great that we can all have something that suits our own tastes.

I noticed last evening that we had an unopened bottle of Milwaukee Ave. Steak Spice in the cabinet. I sprinkled it on some chicken thighs and the family noticed and approved. Paprika with some bbq taste. I will find more uses for this, but personally, I can't see putting a spice like this on a steak. To me, a steak should be salted, charred on the outside and red in the center and a spice like this would be a distraction. As I say, though, I will find uses for it.
  • Post #28 - January 18th, 2018, 1:18 pm
    Post #28 - January 18th, 2018, 1:18 pm Post #28 - January 18th, 2018, 1:18 pm
    While not in the same family discussed above, I love Sunny Singapore. Its one of the salt less blends and is curry focused. I love to rub it on chicken thighs or mix it into you hurt and bake on top of salmon. So good!
  • Post #29 - January 18th, 2018, 1:18 pm
    Post #29 - January 18th, 2018, 1:18 pm Post #29 - January 18th, 2018, 1:18 pm
    Youghurt
  • Post #30 - January 18th, 2018, 1:38 pm
    Post #30 - January 18th, 2018, 1:38 pm Post #30 - January 18th, 2018, 1:38 pm
    Is that more of a Thai curry or an Indian curry? I don't know where Singapore would fall on that range. There's a flavor in the standard type Indian curry blend that I don't like. Not sure what it is.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more