LTH Home

The Spice House

The Spice House
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 5
  • Post #31 - January 18th, 2018, 1:55 pm
    Post #31 - January 18th, 2018, 1:55 pm Post #31 - January 18th, 2018, 1:55 pm
    There is a lot of pepper and lemon in it too. I'm not curry-experienced enough to say more. Definitely taste it it next time you're at the store. My house always smells great after cooking with it. :D
  • Post #32 - January 20th, 2018, 10:42 am
    Post #32 - January 20th, 2018, 10:42 am Post #32 - January 20th, 2018, 10:42 am
    seebee wrote:If your cue rub is doing well on the shelf, I'd be surprised if your wing rubs wouldn't follow suit?

While I've never addressed it directly with Tom or Patty Erd I get the impression they aren't keen on offering other than their own blends, which they do a terrific job with, Wiviott Rub an exception.

Offer stands if you'd like to try Gunpowder.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #33 - January 21st, 2018, 10:57 pm
    Post #33 - January 21st, 2018, 10:57 pm Post #33 - January 21st, 2018, 10:57 pm
    Caitlin Penzey Moog wrote:"Don’t put your salt in a grinder. All you’re doing is making your salt smaller than it was before.

Super late response, but I have a salt grinder that we put out on our table for meals, and all I’ll say is that if you have young, salt-loving children (I have 4 boys, age 12 down to 2), it certainly helps with keeping them from oversalting, as it’s a lot easier to get out of their hands prior to too much salt than a regular shaker. And I bought the salt grinder at The Spice House, to boot.
  • Post #34 - January 24th, 2018, 5:38 pm
    Post #34 - January 24th, 2018, 5:38 pm Post #34 - January 24th, 2018, 5:38 pm
    Looking for some LTH Insights about which Spice House blend might be best for a turkey-vegetable soup.

We have frozen stock made from Sun Wah Beijing Turkey and the meat to go with it. Carrots, celery, onions and potatoes for the vegetables, perhaps with some greens.

Which Spice House blend will add flavor and body to the soup, without overpowering the Sun Wah turkey flavor?

Please keep in mind that the group is averse to hot peppers (darn it!) and includes a vegetarian or two (who have graciously allowed for TURKEY stock, with the meat as an optional add-in).

Thanks for your help. For me, adding flavor and body to soups for a general group is always a puzzle.
  • Post #35 - January 24th, 2018, 10:11 pm
    Post #35 - January 24th, 2018, 10:11 pm Post #35 - January 24th, 2018, 10:11 pm
    Sunny taste of Singapore would be my first choice.It does have red pepper in it so there might be a tiny bit of heat which most people would not mind.
    Sunny taste of Spain would be my second choice.
    Both spices are salt free;a 2.5 oz bag runs about $4.75 compared to $6.15 in the glass jar so I would go with each one and try both.But ask the staff at the Spice House when you go.They are very knowledgeable and will find you the best one for what you are cooking.
  • Post #36 - January 25th, 2018, 1:13 pm
    Post #36 - January 25th, 2018, 1:13 pm Post #36 - January 25th, 2018, 1:13 pm
    jimd wrote:Which Spice House blend will add flavor and body to the soup, without overpowering the Sun Wah turkey flavor?

If you are looking to add body, you can reduce your stock, add a thickener such as corn starch, or puree some of the vegetables - potato for instance. Adding rice or noodles can also do that, especially if you cook them in the soup.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #37 - January 26th, 2018, 9:24 am
    Post #37 - January 26th, 2018, 9:24 am Post #37 - January 26th, 2018, 9:24 am
    leek wrote:
    jimd wrote:Which Spice House blend will add flavor and body to the soup, without overpowering the Sun Wah turkey flavor?

If you are looking to add body, you can reduce your stock, add a thickener such as corn starch, or puree some of the vegetables - potato for instance. Adding rice or noodles can also do that, especially if you cook them in the soup.

I like a healthy bit of marjoram in my post-Thanksgiving turkey soup. It goes well with the smoky taste my leftovers give because I roast the turkey with bacon strips on top for the first few hours; the Sun Wah turkey may have a similar flavor. To add body to the soup, I agree with Leek's suggestions. You could also saute your veggies first and then add some flour to them before adding the stock. Also I usually put barley in the soup, which also adds body.
  • Post #38 - February 10th, 2018, 6:46 am
    Post #38 - February 10th, 2018, 6:46 am Post #38 - February 10th, 2018, 6:46 am
    We ended up using Spice House’s Bavarian Seasoning, but in such a small amount that it may not have had much effect. The soup was one of our better versions – though it was not surprising, considering that the stock and the meat came from Sun Wah Beijing Turkey.

Thanx for your helpful advice. Always nice to have The LTH Living Cookbook to fall back on.
  • Post #39 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:27 am
    Post #39 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:27 am Post #39 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:27 am
    Recently subscribed to Mark Bittman's newsletter. Enjoyed the articles, photos, recipes and learning more about his Spice House connection.
    Nice praise for an LTH favorite.
    One More Thing...
    As you’ve probably noticed, we have an initial partner in this newsletter project: The Spice House, an online spice outfit based in Chicago. (Some of you have reached the conclusion that I now run a spice company; cool as that would be…no. Just wanted to clear that up.)

One of the principals at Spice House is a friend named Charlie Mayer, who I met ages ago, when he was producing All Things Considered segments with, among others, Melissa Block. Charlie recorded while Melissa and I cooked in her DC kitchen, and—especially after Charlie and I discovered that both of us were pilots—we became friends. (I stopped flying, mostly, when I began writing for the Times Opinion section: That was a conflict of interest, time-wise, that could’ve been deadly. Both opinion-writing and flying take concentration, something that I don’t have in excess.)

Anyway, global sourcing is complex, and this is especially true for spices. Sustainable production and fair labor practices are issues here and elsewhere, and Charlie and The Spice House are more focused on these things than most. (Part of my job here is to help move the needle further in the right direction.) Plus, their stuff is fresh and good. They are a nice crew to have in our corner as we start this newsletter, both because they give a shit, and because, well…cooking…spices…it kind of makes sense. And it’s fun to have an excuse to work with Charlie again.

https://mailchi.mp/2a373fbedccd/good-news-for-the-most-interesting-food-city-in-the-us?e=9c1e9ff124
  • Post #40 - October 23rd, 2018, 3:54 pm
    Post #40 - October 23rd, 2018, 3:54 pm Post #40 - October 23rd, 2018, 3:54 pm
    The Spice House in Old Town, Chicago is my Candy Land. I never found the proprietors particularly welcoming or friendly. I was a regular(we lived a couple blocks away on the LSD) and never got a, "hi there." But, what, in my case, they lacked in friendliness, the store itself was a magical realm. Bins and large glass jars full of spices and mixes, big burlap sacks of cinnamon piled up in great redolent heaps. I remember being advised by a staff member my first visit to taste whatever I cared to and toss the rest on the floor.
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #41 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:08 pm
    Post #41 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:08 pm Post #41 - October 23rd, 2018, 9:08 pm
    Christopher Gordon wrote: I never found the proprietors particularly welcoming or friendly... and never got a, "hi there."
    I haven't placed any stock in friendly greetings in stores since I commented on a very friendly greeting from a Blockbuster employee who told me management made them do that because people who were greeted upon entering a store were less likely to shoplift.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #42 - December 11th, 2018, 5:31 am
    Post #42 - December 11th, 2018, 5:31 am Post #42 - December 11th, 2018, 5:31 am
    Not a big hot coco fan but The Spice House Coco Masala with a touch extra cayenne hits the spot. I liked salted carmel but Masala is where it’s at! #lowslowbbq

SpiceHouseCoco1.jpg Hot Coco Powder, The Spice House

The Spice House Coco Masala, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #43 - July 9th, 2019, 8:59 am
    Post #43 - July 9th, 2019, 8:59 am Post #43 - July 9th, 2019, 8:59 am
    Email I just received :(

Dear Spice friends,

Sadly, there was a fire at The Spice House in Old Town yesterday. Thankfully, through the quick actions of our store associates and the Chicago Fire Department, the fire was quickly extinguished and, most importantly, no one was hurt. Unfortunately, however, our beloved store incurred some serious damage and we will be closed for a short while to rebuild and repair.

We apologize for our unexpected closure. While we’re rebuilding, we would like to offer FREE SHIPPING on all orders, no minimum required, when you purchase spices online. Use code OLDTOWNSHIP at checkout. You can also visit our other store locations at Navy Pier and Evanston.

The Spice House has proudly been a resident of historic Old Town since 2001. Since then, we’ve made tens of thousands of spice friends and created many more fond memories in Old Town. We look forward to continuing to serve our Old Town community and customers when we return.

Sincerely,
    Eric Medina
    General Manager
    The Spice House | Chicago
  • Post #44 - July 9th, 2019, 8:59 am
    Post #44 - July 9th, 2019, 8:59 am Post #44 - July 9th, 2019, 8:59 am
    Via email:
    Sadly, there was a fire at The Spice House in Old Town yesterday. Thankfully, through the quick actions of our store associates and the Chicago Fire Department, the fire was quickly extinguished and, most importantly, no one was hurt. Unfortunately, however, our beloved store incurred some serious damage and we will be closed for a short while to rebuild and repair.

We apologize for our unexpected closure. While we’re rebuilding, we would like to offer FREE SHIPPING on all orders, no minimum required, when you purchase spices online. Use code OLDTOWNSHIP at checkout. You can also visit our other store locations at Navy Pier and Evanston.

The Spice House has proudly been a resident of historic Old Town since 2001. Since then, we’ve made tens of thousands of spice friends and created many more fond memories in Old Town. We look forward to continuing to serve our Old Town community and customers when we return.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #45 - July 19th, 2019, 9:00 am
    Post #45 - July 19th, 2019, 9:00 am Post #45 - July 19th, 2019, 9:00 am
    More kind words from Mark Bittman for The Spice House in his newsletter today.
    This issue highlights spice rubs/blends:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/Bittman-newsletter

I recently stocked up on my spices. It's such a treat to open my box from The Spice House when it arrives, such wonderful aromas. My son even asked for a bag of black Tellicherry pepper for one of his birthday gifts. My whole family is hooked on this product. I bought a bag for our house too. I already regret that I didn't order the largest bag because we go through it so quickly.
  • Post #46 - July 19th, 2019, 4:36 pm
    Post #46 - July 19th, 2019, 4:36 pm Post #46 - July 19th, 2019, 4:36 pm
    I only buy spices from the Spice House in Evanston. All spices are dated when they come into my house. Ground spices are thrown out after around a year and whole spices are thrown out after around 2 years. I love the Spice House.
  • Post #47 - September 30th, 2019, 2:41 pm
    Post #47 - September 30th, 2019, 2:41 pm Post #47 - September 30th, 2019, 2:41 pm
    Does anybody know if the Old Town location is still closed? I posted on mashupmom about the free shipping when you enter the code OLDTOWNSHIP, and somebody there tried it, and said it did not work. I thought the code was going to be good until the Old Town store opened up again. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #48 - September 30th, 2019, 3:10 pm
    Post #48 - September 30th, 2019, 3:10 pm Post #48 - September 30th, 2019, 3:10 pm
    NFriday wrote:Does anybody know if the Old Town location is still closed? I posted on mashupmom about the free shipping when you enter the code OLDTOWNSHIP, and somebody there tried it, and said it did not work. I thought the code was going to be good until the Old Town store opened up again. Thanks, Nancy

Their website says the Old Town location is temporarily closed and does not provide a phone number for that store. There's a banner offering free shipping on orders "at $45" but no discount code is provided. Apparently, you must call 312-676-2414 to redeem that offer. Maybe that's the Old Town location's phone number. It's not specified.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #49 - September 30th, 2019, 4:03 pm
    Post #49 - September 30th, 2019, 4:03 pm Post #49 - September 30th, 2019, 4:03 pm
    The code is SHIPOLDTOWN

According to their latest email newsletter, the Old Town location is scheduled to open at the end of October
  • Post #50 - October 1st, 2019, 7:46 am
    Post #50 - October 1st, 2019, 7:46 am Post #50 - October 1st, 2019, 7:46 am
    Katie wrote:I haven't placed any stock in friendly greetings in stores since I commented on a very friendly greeting from a Blockbuster employee who told me management made them do that because people who were greeted upon entering a store were less likely to shoplift.

Well???
    Did it prove to be true?
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #51 - October 1st, 2019, 12:00 pm
    Post #51 - October 1st, 2019, 12:00 pm Post #51 - October 1st, 2019, 12:00 pm
    seebee wrote:
    Katie wrote:I haven't placed any stock in friendly greetings in stores since I commented on a very friendly greeting from a Blockbuster employee who told me management made them do that because people who were greeted upon entering a store were less likely to shoplift.

Well???
    Did it prove to be true?

I didn't steal anything that time, and now Blockbuster is gone so I can't run any more tests.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #52 - November 16th, 2019, 3:36 pm
    Post #52 - November 16th, 2019, 3:36 pm Post #52 - November 16th, 2019, 3:36 pm
    If it was mentioned upthread, I missed it but I was bummed to learn recently that The Spice House (all locations, website, etc.) was sold about a year ago. I was wondering why prices seem to have steadily crept up and Gary Wiviott's Rub was stupidly renamed Chicago Fire Barbecue Rub. Hey Spice House, sabod! :x

=R=
  • Post #53 - November 16th, 2019, 4:17 pm
    Post #53 - November 16th, 2019, 4:17 pm Post #53 - November 16th, 2019, 4:17 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:If it was mentioned upthread, I missed it but I was bummed to learn recently that The Spice House (all locations, website, etc.) was sold about a year ago. I was wondering why prices seem to have steadily crept up and Gary Wiviott's Rub was stupidly renamed Chicago Fire Barbecue Rub. Hey Spice House, sabod! :x

=R=

I noticed that the last communication I received was from “Dan”, but figured maybe they had elevated a manager to take on some additional responsibilities. I meant to check online but forgot about it. They did change all the packaging and eliminated some of my other favorite blends (RIP Sunny Spain”). Any intel on what Patty and Bill are doing now?
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #54 - November 17th, 2019, 3:07 pm
    Post #54 - November 17th, 2019, 3:07 pm Post #54 - November 17th, 2019, 3:07 pm
    I found this February 2018 New Yorker article that provides a potted, or if you prefer, jarred history of the family business that became the two family businesses that are Penzey's and The Spice House. The article does not mention the sale of the latter, which seems to have happened sometime later in 2018 or in 2019.
  • Post #55 - November 17th, 2019, 3:13 pm
    Post #55 - November 17th, 2019, 3:13 pm Post #55 - November 17th, 2019, 3:13 pm
    Katie wrote:The article does not mention the sale of the latter, which seems to have happened sometime later in 2018 or in 2019.

Spice House website wrote:In 2018, with kismet and good fortune, business partners Dave Grossman and Dan Yates met and befriended Tom and Patty. Dave and Dan had respectively built successful careers in finance and technology, and were both wanting for a mission more tangible and human scale, something to love and share with family and friends. With a shared passion for food and culture, they saw the untapped potential stored up in the lifetimes of work and expertise that Bill, Ruth, Patty and Tom had poured into the Spice House. Happily, Tom and Patty also saw something in Dan and Dave—successful business builders who could bring their vision to a national and then global scale.

Our Future

Now as the new owners of The Spice House, Dave and Dan are committed to sustaining and strengthening the company’s core tenets of premium quality, freshness, and variety—all the while honoring culinary traditions and experiences around the world.
  • Post #56 - November 17th, 2019, 11:25 pm
    Post #56 - November 17th, 2019, 11:25 pm Post #56 - November 17th, 2019, 11:25 pm
    Spice House website wrote:Our Future

Now as the new owners of The Spice House, Dave and Dan are committed to sustaining and strengthening the company’s core tenets of premium quality, freshness, and variety—all the while honoring culinary traditions and experiences around the world.

Just curious . . . do price increases and a rationalization of the product line fall under quality, freshness or variety? :?

=R=
  • Post #57 - November 18th, 2019, 12:26 am
    Post #57 - November 18th, 2019, 12:26 am Post #57 - November 18th, 2019, 12:26 am
    What is strange is that Patty and her husband did a program on spices at the Culinary Historians in July, and they were then listed as the proprietors of the Spice House.
  • Post #58 - November 18th, 2019, 12:13 pm
    Post #58 - November 18th, 2019, 12:13 pm Post #58 - November 18th, 2019, 12:13 pm
    Just depressing. What we loved about going there--the Evanston store is literally walking distance from our house--is that it's a small, locally owned place. Nothing fancy, no international franchised cartel of spice sellers. Apparently that's no longer the case. From their website: "Happily, Tom and Patty also saw something in Dan and Dave—successful business builders who could bring their vision to a national and then global scale."
    Oh goody. We're going national and, because that's not enough for Dave and Dan, then we're going global. They may have been "successful business builders" but this makes it pretty clear that they don't even understand the essence of what they bought. :(

(What's even curiouser is that, looking specifically for stories about the sale on the internet, there is virtually nothing. Almost as if both sides were embarrassed about the transaction and no one wanted to publicize it--at all. )
    Gypsy Boy

"I am not a glutton--I am an explorer of food." (Erma Bombeck)
  • Post #59 - November 18th, 2019, 12:38 pm
    Post #59 - November 18th, 2019, 12:38 pm Post #59 - November 18th, 2019, 12:38 pm
    To be fair, savory spice is a chain and their Lincoln Square location offers a similar experience to the spice house imo.

Ill give them the benefit of the doubt and hope the store continues on. I wouldn't mind having more spice shop locations around to go to vs settling on what's available at the grocery store.
  • Post #60 - November 18th, 2019, 1:42 pm
    Post #60 - November 18th, 2019, 1:42 pm Post #60 - November 18th, 2019, 1:42 pm
    We had been Spice House customers for decades, but we now visit Steven and Natalie at Epic Spices and love their quality, freshness, variety, prices, and awesome personal service.

Epic Spices
    1725 W. Chicago Ave.
    Chicago, IL 60622
    http://www.epicspices.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide