LTH Home

Kimchi or bust!

Kimchi or bust!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Kimchi or bust!

Post #1 - September 2nd, 2011, 3:14 pm
    Post #1 - September 2nd, 2011, 3:14 pm Post #1 - September 2nd, 2011, 3:14 pm
    Following the lead of the sauerkraut thread, does anyone make their own kimchi? I have been using this recipe from Fine Cooking:
    http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/homemade-kimchi.aspx

It's inauthentic in its use of anchovies, but makes really excellent kimchi. Kimchi is so easy-- you will never want to pay $4 for a side of kimchi again. We had lunch at the Super H food court and my husband declared, after sampling my side of kimchi, "yours is better!".

Here is some of my homemade on a pulled pork sandwich:
    kimchi

Anyone else??

Jen
  • Post #2 - September 3rd, 2011, 12:10 pm
    Post #2 - September 3rd, 2011, 12:10 pm Post #2 - September 3rd, 2011, 12:10 pm
    "Following the lead of the sauerkraut thread, does anyone make their own kimchi?"

Two years ago I made a batch in a 5l Harsch crock but elected to use only vegetarian matter. Recipe was out of a Korean book.
    Turned out very nice and I canned what we couldn't eat.
    Canning dulls the crispness of the kimchi and with excellent quality kimchi available fresh from many sources including H Mart, I don't think I will make it anymore.-Dick
  • Post #3 - September 4th, 2011, 9:01 am
    Post #3 - September 4th, 2011, 9:01 am Post #3 - September 4th, 2011, 9:01 am
    its been a while since I made my own, but when I did I had very good results from this book
  • Post #4 - February 28th, 2012, 6:45 pm
    Post #4 - February 28th, 2012, 6:45 pm Post #4 - February 28th, 2012, 6:45 pm
    My last batch of kimchi is getting a bit old, but I made this old Gourmet recipe for Kimchi and Sweet Potato pancakes, which was really delicious-- great way to use up old kimchi.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... kes-350207

The cooking tempers the kimchi whiff into a very pleasant funk and the sweet potatoes add a pleasant texture, good color, and vitamins-- to make up for all those great kimchi probiotics you cook to death in that delicious shallow fat frying. My grandmother used to make a similar pancake with zucchini (and no kimchi), so I suspect this would be good with zukes, or white potatoes, or what have you.

Jen
  • Post #5 - August 25th, 2018, 12:23 pm
    Post #5 - August 25th, 2018, 12:23 pm Post #5 - August 25th, 2018, 12:23 pm
    Hi,

Today I saw a passing reference somewhere about 'vegan kimchi.' If we are talking the pickled cabbage, isn't it vegan irregardless? I just could not understand the emphasis on vegan.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - August 25th, 2018, 12:27 pm
    Post #6 - August 25th, 2018, 12:27 pm Post #6 - August 25th, 2018, 12:27 pm
    The vast majority of kimchi recipes have fish sauce, fermented or dried shrimp, or dried anchovies.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #7 - August 25th, 2018, 12:37 pm
    Post #7 - August 25th, 2018, 12:37 pm Post #7 - August 25th, 2018, 12:37 pm
    Giovanna wrote:The vast majority of kimchi recipes have fish sauce, fermented or dried shrimp, or dried anchovies.

Giovanna

Thank you, I did not think of that.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #8 - August 25th, 2018, 6:57 pm
    Post #8 - August 25th, 2018, 6:57 pm Post #8 - August 25th, 2018, 6:57 pm
    Giovanna wrote:The vast majority of kimchi recipes have fish sauce, fermented or dried shrimp, or dried anchovies.

Giovanna

Or oysters
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #9 - August 26th, 2018, 6:42 am
    Post #9 - August 26th, 2018, 6:42 am Post #9 - August 26th, 2018, 6:42 am

Giovanna

I actually think there are quite a few that may avoid seafood, I think they are sometimes called water kimchi but most of the offerings I see here contain some sort of seafood.

I tend to make my own and call it vegan for that very reason. It is also helpful for those with seafood allergies for that reason.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more