Alternative Dining in CHicago

Posted August 26th 2011, 1:49pm
Hi- I did not see any posts about this. I love to make salsa when I have lots of tomatoes in my garden, or when I can purchase decent ones for not much money at the farmer's market. I prefer to eat salsa where the tomatoes have been pealed, but sometimes that is time consuming. Is there anyone here that does not peel their tomatoes when they make salsa?

The last batch of salsa I made, I used mint instead of cilantro, and I think I added too much mint, because I could hardly taste the hot pepper. I got the recipe from Henry Brockman's blog a few weeks ago His sister says that she never uses cilantro in her salsa, and uses mint instead, because it is much easier to find this time of year when tomatoes are ripe. Henry and his sister come to the Evanston farmer's market every Saturday. If anybody is interested in the recipe, I could post a link to it. Thanks for any input, Nancy
Posted August 26th 2011, 1:55pm
Hi

I don't peel tomatoes mostly, unless I am doing a "fresh tomato pasta sauce" and already have the water boiling, so I'll dunk them in the water bath just before I put in the pasta. Then I peel, cut in half to squeeze out the seeds, fast chop, and by the time my pasta is done cooking, I have a hot fresh tomato sauce. Never for salsa or salads, though I will squeeze out the seeds sometimes.

Leek
SAVING ONE DOG MAY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD, BUT IT CHANGES THE WORLD FOR THAT ONE DOG.
American Brittany Rescuealways needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog.

Posted August 26th 2011, 2:05pm
I hardly ever peel tomatoes; never for salsa.
Posted August 26th 2011, 2:15pm
It really depends on the tomatoes. Sometimes they have thick skin in which case I do peel them. Cris crossing before the quick hot water, makes it very easy to peel them, so I dont usually mind doing it.

Posted August 26th 2011, 3:26pm
Nupe, never peel--but I use the blender after rough chopping everything.

Geo

Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
Posted August 26th 2011, 7:37pm
Fresh salsa, no. Roasted, yes.
Posted August 26th 2011, 9:34pm
I've eaten and prepared them both ways, and in all honesty (I'm sure the foodie gods will be aghast by this), I've yet to discern the utility of peeling a tomato for any recipe.

Lead Moderator
Posted August 27th 2011, 1:11am
Grizzly wrote:I've eaten and prepared them both ways, and in all honesty (I'm sure the foodie gods will be aghast by this), I've yet to discern the utility of peeling a tomato for any recipe.

Random tomato skins rolled up like scrolls are appealling? :)

For a fresh salsa, I don't peel. For those I preserve for the future, I will skin.

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
Posted August 27th 2011, 7:36am
Speaking of peeling tomatoes, I just taught Sparky to make the homemade tomato sauce that I can every year, and found this terrific method for peeling tomatoes. It won't work for fresh tomato sauces/salsas, but if you're cooking them, it's amazingly easy - plus, sometimes the seed pods pop out in one frozen chunk, too.

I don't like to parboil tomatoes because I think you lose a bit of juices in the process. I often roast mine to get the skins off, but it means heating up the house in the middle of summer...this method works just fine and has neither drawback.

Lead Moderator
Posted August 27th 2011, 7:54am
MHays,

FYI - Last weekend I blanched and peeled at least a half bushel of tomatoes. When it was time to squueze out the seeds, I had a sieve over a pitcher. I squeeze enough seeds and juice into the sieve, I had about 3/4 gallon tomato juice afterwards.

Skins, cores and seeds were recycled.

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Posted August 27th 2011, 9:20am
Nah, lazy.

I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen. ~ Chef Bruce

Late-Nite Eats Database
Posted August 27th 2011, 12:57pm
Cathy2 wrote:MHays,

FYI - Last weekend I blanched and peeled at least a half bushel of tomatoes. When it was time to squueze out the seeds, I had a sieve over a pitcher. I squeeze enough seeds and juice into the sieve, I had about 3/4 gallon tomato juice afterwards.

Skins, cores and seeds were recycled.

Regards,

I do the same - except I toss all the seeds and cores into the pot and sieve them after they're thoroughly cooked and mushy. Then I reduce the juice and add back in the "petals" to make a chunky sauce. This time I felt able to toss the skins completely in the compost, as they came off totally clean.

Posted August 27th 2011, 8:08pm
Cathy2 wrote:
Grizzly wrote:I've eaten and prepared them both ways, and in all honesty (I'm sure the foodie gods will be aghast by this), I've yet to discern the utility of peeling a tomato for any recipe.

Random tomato skins rolled up like scrolls are appealling? :)

For a fresh salsa, I don't peel. For those I preserve for the future, I will skin.

Regards,

Well, I predicted a "foodie god(ess)" would object...

But that said, for a cold, fresh tomato sauce, with simple sea salt, olive oil pepper and fresh basil...

"Random tomato skins rolled up like scrolls" just aren't an issue.

With respect to Cathy2, I agree that a canned, preserved sauce or tomato benefits from being peeled.

Lead Moderator
Posted April 15th 2014, 2:07pm
Couldn't find a better place to drop this, slicing a quantity of cherry tomatoes at once:

Cathy2

Posted April 15th 2014, 4:35pm
Oh that's brilliant! Thanks, Cathy!

“Assuredly it is a great accomplishment to be a novelist, but it is no mediocre glory to be a cook.” -- Alexandre Dumas
Get a Taste of Burma

Online Information