LTH Home

Shelf-stable office food?

Shelf-stable office food?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Shelf-stable office food?

Post #1 - June 14th, 2004, 7:20 pm
    Post #1 - June 14th, 2004, 7:20 pm Post #1 - June 14th, 2004, 7:20 pm
    Far more often than I'd like, I get stuck at my desk, unable to go out for a meal. This is generally unplanned, so bringing a brown bag isn't an option. The area around my office has only a few delivery options, some of them not reasonably priced for a meal for one.

Refrigeration space is tight and subject to regular purges, so my ability to keep perishable food is limited. There is a microwave oven available.

I'm looking for ideas of provisions I can keep in my desk drawer against these occasions. My last experiment, canned chipotle chicken salad from Costco (made by Sycamore Farms) was an extreme failure, strongly reminiscent of spicy dog food. Really terrible.

I've done the canned tuna thing, but I don't like it all that much without the addition of mayo and other perishables. In winter, ramen and canned soup are OK, if tiresome, but I don't really want that in the summer.

Obviously, anything that requires much in the way of preparation is out -- I don't have the facilities, and if I had the time, I probably could go out.

Any ideas?
  • Post #2 - June 14th, 2004, 7:37 pm
    Post #2 - June 14th, 2004, 7:37 pm Post #2 - June 14th, 2004, 7:37 pm
    Tell your editor that you're the frickin' FOOD columnist and you're going out to get some actual FOOD?
  • Post #3 - June 15th, 2004, 8:00 am
    Post #3 - June 15th, 2004, 8:00 am Post #3 - June 15th, 2004, 8:00 am
    Leah

In a past life I had a similar problem. My emergency stash included Crisp bread,sardines,cashews,beef jerky and the occasional dried sausage.

Other provisions might inclued various potted meats,or cheese in handy spray cans. Check out Lincolnwood Produce at the corner of Lincoln and Touhy for a truly global collection of things potted and pickled. There's nothing like a "tavern" size jar of pickled eggs to give a crowded office that festive "air".

Before you know it your collegues will be inviting you out for lunch!! :wink:

John
    Last edited by JSM on June 15th, 2004, 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #4 - June 15th, 2004, 8:23 am
    Post #4 - June 15th, 2004, 8:23 am Post #4 - June 15th, 2004, 8:23 am
    I am in a similar situation right now, and I'd pretty much echo JSM's suggestions:

Various nuts: cashews, almonds, BBQ soy nuts (Trader Joe's is my favorite source)
    Canned sardines, kipper snacks, or smoked oysters (I never met seafood in a can that I didn't love)
    Whole wheat or rye bread crisps (my favorite, and no trans-fat!, they come in paper packages. The brand is Kava, I think)
    Dried hard salami, other sausages, or jerky
    Dried fruit
    Dry soups (split pea, black bean)
    Non-sweet Asian snacks: Wasabi peas, sesame crisps, etc.

Since you have a microwave you could also try cous cous. Boil some water, add the cous-cous, cover for 5 minutes, then add some raisins, slivered almonds (or pine nuts), spices of your choice, and enjoy.

Check out smaller Asian markets for a ton of dried goodies both sweet and savory. And as JSM said, Lincolwood Produce (or Marketplace on Oakton) is great for pickled items.

You might want to get yourself a large air-tight rubbermaid tub if you have a place to stash it. You'd be surprised how quickly little critters can get into dried food.
  • Post #5 - June 15th, 2004, 8:24 am
    Post #5 - June 15th, 2004, 8:24 am Post #5 - June 15th, 2004, 8:24 am
    I've always kept a box of cereal in my desk, although I know many people don't consider eating it without milk. I also often have granola and/or trail mix (my homemade stuff is always sort of a hybrid). Along those lines, dried fruit is another idea (I like the cherries and cranberries). Of course the classic peanut butter with marshmallow cream on crackers is always an option!
  • Post #6 - June 15th, 2004, 9:06 am
    Post #6 - June 15th, 2004, 9:06 am Post #6 - June 15th, 2004, 9:06 am
    Hi,

I know this will surprise people, but I am fascinated by shelf-stable food. Hormel makes a series of TV-style dinners, which are shelf-stable with no refrigeration needed similar to military meals-ready-to-eat (MRE). I bought a couple some years ago just to satisfy my curiosity. They are found in the same section of the grocery store where you buy Chili Con Carne, Beef Stew or Chicken and Dumplings in cans.

I have a girlfriend who is in the military reserves. She always has a few MRE's in the trunk as an emergency dinner. You can buy MRE's at Army surplus stores. It is fun to try out the chemical heater installed in MRE's to see whether they work satisfactorily.

Best regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #7 - June 15th, 2004, 9:50 am
    Post #7 - June 15th, 2004, 9:50 am Post #7 - June 15th, 2004, 9:50 am
    I recommend a visit to a nutritionist. They will provide you with several examples. While I pooh poo'd anyone who would mention it for years, I was quite enlightened. They take a much different focus on food, but they know there stuff. But, if you don't wish to go that route, I can provide you with what I picked up.

Much of this is from my experience as a downtown office worker, who is overweight and tends to overeat at the slightest provocation. I used to eat nothing for about 12 hours and then gorge myself on a meal fit for two or three. (In case you are wondering, its about 40 bls off and it will be a year in September.)

If you are sitting at your desk and you are too busy to go out for lunch, most likely you are stressed and you will tend to overeat. If you do keep food within reach make sure you package it or buy it pre-packaged in serving sizes. It will keep you from mindless munching a whole jar of peanuts.

Second, easily digested foods are better for you when under stress. Don't discount meal replacements. A can of slimfast, ensure, myoplex are great things to keep at the office. However, you want to look for more protein than carbs. Protein will burn longer and you won't feel like even though you ate at your desk, you still missed a meal.

In the alternative some items that are not easy to digest, but things like jerky (or kippered beef, as I prefer), slim jim's or small summer sausage sticks, have some burn power.

Personally, I like the meal replacement bars from Myoplex. They come in peanut butter and chocolate, smores, chocolate coconut, apple cinamon, etc. Along with a liter of water, you will be surprised how filling these are. They are "engineered" to be about 300 calories, right obut the size of a light meal (some of the drinks are not enough calories and that is why you feel like you are starving, shoot for at least 300-400 cal.).

For packaged goods, Sunkist now has individually packaged flavored prunes (cherry and lemon)...you should have seen the stock boy's face when I bought about fifteen bags at Woodman's. Ocean Spray has individual packed flavored craisins (more sugar than needed, but a nice boost). I also saw some pre-pak gorp or trail mix, though most processed crap has too much sugar. Pack your own with better cerals and don't take extra sugar unless it has a tiny "m" on it.

I also buy nuts in bulk (tamari almonds from Whole Foods/Trader Joes) and package them 2 tablespoons in a snak size zip lock. Soy nuts, dried fruits. Because I tend to overeat, I don't keep these at the office, but carry two or three in my briefcase each morning.

I hope this is helpful. If anyone who like to discuss it in more detail, feel free to ask questions or send me a private email.

Regards,
    Peter Daane
  • Post #8 - June 15th, 2004, 10:26 am
    Post #8 - June 15th, 2004, 10:26 am Post #8 - June 15th, 2004, 10:26 am
    Second, easily digested foods are better for you when under stress. Don't discount meal replacements. A can of slimfast, ensure, myoplex are great things to keep at the office. However, you want to look for more protein than carbs. Protein will burn longer and you won't feel like even though you ate at your desk, you still missed a meal.

I never heard of easily digested foods being ideal when you are under stress. I would have thought the opposite. Do you have any comments on the physiology? You learn something everyday.

How does Slimfast really taste? My Grandfather drank Ensure the last years of his life. He even got a yeast infection in his throat because he was not eating enough. I was never tempted to try it and gave his stock away to the Senior Center after he died. Do any of these drinks taste palatable?

Flavored prunes are pretty good. The industry is trying to reform the name by shifting to dried plums rather than the negative connotations surrounding prunes.

Thanks for enlightening information.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #9 - June 15th, 2004, 11:01 am
    Post #9 - June 15th, 2004, 11:01 am Post #9 - June 15th, 2004, 11:01 am
    Regular prunes taste good, if you like plums. No need to mess with them.

As for shelf-stable lunch things, if you like Indian food, there are lots of things available. Some come in their own plastic dishes, some in pouches that you must put into or onto a microwaveable container. A good quality paper plate will do, with a paper towel over.

Available anywhere along Devon Ave., also at Trader Joe's.
  • Post #10 - June 15th, 2004, 12:22 pm
    Post #10 - June 15th, 2004, 12:22 pm Post #10 - June 15th, 2004, 12:22 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Flavored prunes are pretty good. The industry is trying to reform the name by shifting to dried plums rather than the negative connotations surrounding prunes.

Thanks for enlightening information.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Some people would consider the "negative connotation" to be a positive connotation. :lol:
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #11 - June 15th, 2004, 2:11 pm
    Post #11 - June 15th, 2004, 2:11 pm Post #11 - June 15th, 2004, 2:11 pm
    I love prunes and always have a bag (or can) in my desk at work. A lot of what I've been seeing marketed as "dried plums" are different varieties of plums other than the standard variety that is used.

For example, I was in NY and stopped in the famous Russ & Daughters Deli. They have a beautiful array of dried fruits in the window, one of which was labeled "dried plums". They were actually bright red plum halves and very tart and tasty. A big difference from the standard purple variety.

I've been looking for these dried plums since I've returned from NY and I can't find them anywhere.
  • Post #12 - June 15th, 2004, 4:27 pm
    Post #12 - June 15th, 2004, 4:27 pm Post #12 - June 15th, 2004, 4:27 pm
    They have dried plumbs at the Fruit stand market thingy in Skokie, I forget the name of the place. However, those were not very tastey.

Digestion is an energy consuming process, that is why you may get tired after a meal and then revitalized when it digests. A heavy lunch time meal puts me in PLC or post-lunch coma. Rather than provide you with the information, see the medline website it is great. The little information that I know is that a rush of blood is required for the reflexive muscles that aid digestion. This rush of blood to your tummy, does not help the tired and drained over-stressed body. Something easier to digest, such as simple carbs, turns to blood sugar quickly, but also burns away quickly. An easy to digest protein is the desired goal. But don't take my word, there are experts on the web.

Slim fast isn't awful, but has a lot of sugar. I find the myoplex deluxe bars quite tastey, but it ain't exactly prime rib with trimmings. They are however, easily on par with [insert fast food] and much better for me if I am in a hurry.

pd
  • Post #13 - June 15th, 2004, 10:43 pm
    Post #13 - June 15th, 2004, 10:43 pm Post #13 - June 15th, 2004, 10:43 pm
    Slim fast isn't awful, but has a lot of sugar.

There is a price for everything, isn't there. I am somewhat surprised about the high sugar content, it almost seems to counter the diet element it suggests.

A heavy lunch time meal puts me in PLC or post-lunch coma.

Yes, I understand this dilemma. I am also in trouble if I allow myself to not eat enough, with possibly a parallel drop in blood sugar, because my whole being just drags. Everything is exponentially more difficult to execute. I guess intuitively I have already done what you suggest: on days of heavier or more stressful activity, I do tend to eat smaller and more frequent mini meals.

Again, thanks for the insight.

Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #14 - June 17th, 2004, 7:52 am
    Post #14 - June 17th, 2004, 7:52 am Post #14 - June 17th, 2004, 7:52 am
    I keep WeightWatchers 2 point bars in my desk. I bring fruit with me every day. These two things don't really make a meal, but you could round them out with some of the other suggestions. JSM thanks for making me laugh with your egg idea. :lol:
  • Post #15 - June 17th, 2004, 12:26 pm
    Post #15 - June 17th, 2004, 12:26 pm Post #15 - June 17th, 2004, 12:26 pm
    I do consulting work, so I never had a "permanent desk".. When I am on a longterm project, I usually like to have the following stashed in a drawer somewhere:
    - Peanut butter
    - Nutella
    - Crackers
    - Peanuts

I could go for a Nutella and PB sandwich right now talking about it. That sounds pretty darn good.. :)
  • Post #16 - June 17th, 2004, 2:32 pm
    Post #16 - June 17th, 2004, 2:32 pm Post #16 - June 17th, 2004, 2:32 pm
    If you are doing Ramen and canned soup you can stash a microwave safe bowl or two, right? If so try a variety of the shelf stable Indian foods, like TastyBite ... really not bad at all. You can find them at Marketplace on Oakton, TJ's, probably elsewhere locally, or on the web. To go with them I've picked up Papadum that are ready to cook - I keep the stack of 'em sealed in a ziploc until ready nosh on a few, then nuke them for 20 seconds - some are really great, you can them at the any number of grocery stores on Da'bomb.

Might be a little heavy for summer, but it would be a change of pace
  • Post #17 - June 17th, 2004, 3:17 pm
    Post #17 - June 17th, 2004, 3:17 pm Post #17 - June 17th, 2004, 3:17 pm
    Hi,

Until this thread, I never knew there was shelf stable Indian food available. I love learning something new, it keeps me young and vital ... I'm not that old either!

CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #18 - June 17th, 2004, 10:51 pm
    Post #18 - June 17th, 2004, 10:51 pm Post #18 - June 17th, 2004, 10:51 pm
    Cathy,

The MREs that are most common are called HEATER MEALS. They come in a ready to eat container with the chemical packet. When the chemical packet is activated and the food is placed on top, the food is heated to about 160F. Both the food and the heating packet are in seperate self contained containers so there is no chance of contamination.

I taste tested them on one of my OTR truck rides last year when I picked one up at my favorite truck stop and they were pretty decent.

TJs had some shelf stable Indian food but IMO, it was a real PITA to cook in an office microwave. I think that it would have takes about 10-15 minutes in the microwave to cook the rice so I used it up at home one night.

Ensure is a liquid that is generally served to patients that are having problems eating enough food to get their necessary nutrients. Back in the old days when it use was fairly restricted, it was generally given to the elderly and to cancer patients. It provides about 300 calories per 8 oz serving. We used to mix it with ice cream for oncology patients to boost the calories to 500 cal per 12 oz serving.

Personally, I do not like the fact that it has been marketed by Ross Labs as a meal replacement in this day of obesity. I do not think that that use in appropriate.

Personally, as I get older, I have learned the discipline to set a lunch time and to leave the building (generally to walk in one of the forest preserves). I have started to block out the 12-1 hour on my Outlook so that noone can commit me to a meeting. (If someone insists on meeting during this hour, I will schedule them for meetings at 6 pm. They tend to get the idea quickly.)

Joe
  • Post #19 - June 18th, 2004, 1:36 am
    Post #19 - June 18th, 2004, 1:36 am Post #19 - June 18th, 2004, 1:36 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hormel makes a series of TV-style dinners, which are shelf-stable with no refrigeration needed similar to military meals-ready-to-eat (MRE). I bought a couple some years ago just to satisfy my curiosity. They are found in the same section of the grocery store where you buy Chili Con Carne, Beef Stew or Chicken and Dumplings in cans.

I've always been a little afraid of these, and partly what I was hoping for in this thread was that somebody could endorse some decent ones. I'm thankful for the Indian-food suggestion and will try to follow it up soon.

I also hadn't really thought about sausage -- the kinds I usually eat need to be refrigerated, but I will seek out some of the more shelf-stable types. (Also, I guess you can keep mustard at room temp. It doesn't go off -- it just loses potency.) The couscous suggestion is great, too.

I usually do keep crackers of some kind. I'm trying to avoid too much in the way of nuts and salty snacks because pdaane is right about stress and sitting there snarfing down whole jarfuls. The combination of long sitting and lots of salt is not a good one, either -- I wind up with ankles the size of balloons.

I should have mentioned that the meal I'm working through is, more often than not, dinner. (At lunch time, it's easier to find someone else willing to go in on a delivery or get somebody who's going out to bring back something.) I work long, strange hours, often all night. On the other hand, yesterday I had two business lunches and a business dinner. It's not a healthy lifestyle, but it's the one I've got.

Thanks for the ideas! (Thank you, too, Mike G, but my editor wouldn't understand a big white space where my copy ought to be -- and anyway he's long since gone home to his own dinner by then. Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be journalists!)
  • Post #20 - June 18th, 2004, 1:07 pm
    Post #20 - June 18th, 2004, 1:07 pm Post #20 - June 18th, 2004, 1:07 pm
    I just wanted to suggest the cameo apple. It is the best consistently available apple from the supermarket. Look for its colorful green, yellow, and red skin with a black label. I have had people walk into my office while I'm snacking on one say they can smell it all the way across the room. It has a good crunch, isn't mealy, and has the perfect sweetness. My husband eats a cameo with peanut butter for several lunches a week, and it has helped him loose a whole pant size down to a 32. As for shelf life, they stay fresh at room temp for at least 10 days.
  • Post #21 - June 19th, 2004, 3:15 am
    Post #21 - June 19th, 2004, 3:15 am Post #21 - June 19th, 2004, 3:15 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    How does Slimfast really taste? My Grandfather drank Ensure the last years of his life. He even got a yeast infection in his throat because he was not eating enough. I was never tempted to try it and gave his stock away to the Senior Center after he died. Do any of these drinks taste palatable?

Having had quite a bit of Ensure, I can tell you that meal "replacements" developed by chemical companies leave a lot to be desired in the taste department. A somewhat better tasting competitor is Boost, though too much of that can get on your nerves as well. The best alternative I've found is a more recent product by the company that makes Boost called Breeze. It's a fruit-flavored drink that goes down easy (and is clear), unlike the shake-like drinks already mentioned. Reply if you've found better.
  • Post #22 - June 23rd, 2004, 12:58 pm
    Post #22 - June 23rd, 2004, 12:58 pm Post #22 - June 23rd, 2004, 12:58 pm
    Below is my morning smoothie recipe. The greatest advantage to MRP (meal replacement powders) is that they are a known quantity of calories. Trying to hit that target of eating few enogh calories to lose weight, but not so little that you are tired or hungry and can't focus on anything but your next snack.

My recipe includes nutrition backup.

pd

GOOD MORNING SMOOTHIE

It is my custom blend designed to meet the following goals:
    1. Fat burns efficiently in presence of calcium (yogurt) and Omega 3s (flax seed).
    2. Protein in morning helps avoid hunger pang roller coaster.
    3. High fiber digests slowly (or is not digested) and keeps you feeling full.
    4. The protein drink mix is a set volume of calories, less likely to overload calories.
    5. Fruit for flavor (flavored mixes taste artificial) and anti-oxidant (bit more fiber).

Smoothie:

1-envelope of Champion Nutrition Vanilla 280 cal. 42g Protein. Myoplex and LaBrada are also good brands, see nutritionexpress.com. Mix is mostly low-fat milk whey protein loaded with vitamins and minerals. You might do the same with dry powdered milk or low-fat milk and multi-vitamin.

1/2 Cup Low Fat yogurt (not fat free which is only 10 calories more than low fat).

4 tablespoons ground flax seed (omega threes and fiber, use Flax oil at first for more pleasing texture, less fiber.)

1/4 cup fruit (blueberries, raspberries and black berries have high anti-oxidant). Banana adds good texture and potassium, but more calories than I want....use it starting out.

2 tablespoons Benefiber (or other soluble fiber, fiber in soft part of beans rather than skin). I am experimenting with other types of soluble fiber that do not thicken, because I don't like the pudding effect of the drink by the time I get to work. Benefiber is great, but it is expensive for daily use. Currently, testing Maltodextrin. Psyllium seed is one of the best, but this sets up into pudding effect. I sometimes pour off the amount I am taking to work, then add tblspoon of Psyllium husk to blender and drink immediately

[UPDATE: I now use 1 tablspoon Benefiber and 1 tablespoon of a psyillium seed/apple pectin mix sold at whole foods.]

1 liter ice cold water.

Blending works best. I usually fill two 50ml bottles to take along to work. I drink the rest for breakfast (usually another 50 ml. left).

Finally, I also eat two Brazil Nuts for selenium, to prevent prostate cancer.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated. pdaane@yahoo.com

Additional Notes:
    I am not a doctor or nutritionist, but this works for me and I have had this information reviewed by healthcare professionals.

YOU MUST INCREASE YOUR WATER INTAKE to get the beneficial effects of a high fiber diet. Some of these fibers absorb 50x their volume in water.

Nutrition Information:

Champion Nutrition MRP
    Calories 280

Total Fat 3g
    Sat Fat 1g

Total Carbohydrate 23g
    Dietary Fiber 4g
    Sugars 3g

Protein 41g

Flax Seed (Ground)

Per Tablespoon
    X 4 Tablespoons
    Calories 28.4 114

Total Fat 1.96g 8g
    Omega 6 .25 1g
    Omega 3 1.05 4g

Total Carbohydrate 1.98g 8g
    Dietary Fiber 1.61g 6g

Protein 1.13g 4g

Yogurt (Ground)

Per Cup
    Unchain your lunch money!
  • Post #23 - June 23rd, 2004, 3:22 pm
    Post #23 - June 23rd, 2004, 3:22 pm Post #23 - June 23rd, 2004, 3:22 pm
    Morning smoothie:

I've tried a morning drink similar to what you describe; maybe exactly. For me, the texture is a little thin and the flax seeds milling around a little off-putting. Like everything else, if I had to do it, then I would oblige myself to like it. Maybe if you processed it a bit longer, the flax would be more a background texture instead of so prominent. (I would also be tempted to add some artificial sweetner, but I guess that is not in the health plan)

At least for your initial morning drink, if you substituted ice cubes for some of the water, then you will have a better initial texture. Sure it will eventually melt, so what you drink later will be similar to what you have already.

Banana may have a lot of calories but it sure has a lot of potassium, vitamin K, natural fiber and such. So rather than a whole banana, go for half and cover the other half well for the next day or freeze it. It also contributes to a creaminess texture when you process it.

When I have made smoothies with blueberries, the drink's texture thickens quite a bit.

Any hoot, if this works for you, then it is quite acceptable as-is.
    Cathy2

• Post #24 - June 23rd, 2004, 4:51 pm
    Post #24 - June 23rd, 2004, 4:51 pm Post #24 - June 23rd, 2004, 4:51 pm
    So Peter, the doctor just gave me the same advice he evidently gave you (don't have three plates of fried chicken on Lawrence Ave. in the same night-- he said nothing about the transsexuals however) and reading this, I have to ask-- you really drink that s**t?

Okay, obviously you do, and you've found a way to make it palatable, but-- I guess I'm of the philosophical conviction that the only way I'm going to drop the poundage he says I should, well, the pounds he really says would require a concentration camp, but as for the pounds I find credible for a broad-shouldered fella such as moi, I guess I think I need to find a Mediterranean diet/reasonable portions sort of approach that I can live with and meets my demands for high flavor, ethnic interest, all those good things, combined with a Fats Goldberg-like plan of being allowed to go off it every third or fourth day. And that if I'm relatively successful at that, it may be slow progress but it will last, and keep me happy, and not make me hate life so much I'd rather eat well and be done with it quicker.

Whereas you seem to have acquired an impressive array of knowledge about adding selenium by taking exactly two Brazil nuts (and call me in the morning) and such things. The one that interests me most is the omega whatever, insofar as it has positive effects and not merely the absence of negative ones. (I've always thought this was the single biggest source of dietary confusion-- my father, for instance, was convinced that the diet Pepsi in his vodka not only reduced calories but actively mitigated the ill effects of the vodka, too.) You came by all this knowledge with help, I suppose?
  • Post #25 - July 2nd, 2004, 5:33 pm
    Post #25 - July 2nd, 2004, 5:33 pm Post #25 - July 2nd, 2004, 5:33 pm
    Last weekend I picked up two new brands of shelf-stable Indian foods on Devon--Ashoka and Swad. Slicker packaging, almost as slick as Tamarind Tree, and sleeker, you could slip them into your laptop case.

So far I tried the Ashoka Navratan Korma. Navratan Korma is a favorite of mine, but this one had a horrible taste, I could not finish it. And I'm a charter member of the clean plate rangers.

Of the Swad, I have tried the peas pulav. It's about the same as Tasty-Bite. My problem with them both are that they are hard, almost crusty. You need to poke and prod them and stir them to get them to even approximate rice as we would like to know it.

And that's not what I'm into when I'm grabbing a nuked meal.
  • Post #26 - July 6th, 2004, 12:10 pm
    Post #26 - July 6th, 2004, 12:10 pm Post #26 - July 6th, 2004, 12:10 pm
    Mike,

I am sorry for the delayed response, someone recently mentioned that you posted a question here.

The short answer is yes, some help from a nutritionist and a healthnut trainer. However, most of the information comes from reading. Below you will find a link guide to some nutrition information.

As I have said on this forum before nutrition communication in this country is done very poorly. Much of the weight loss information you read about is for short-term loss (get inot that bikini for summer). I looked to the gold standard, the national weight loss registry. To qualify you have to have loss over 30 ponds and kept it off for 3 years. (The average on the sight is 60 bls over 6 years) [don't quote me on these numbers, but go look at it yourself.

NWLR identifies the three key factors to weightloss: exercise, nutrition and behavior modification (e.g. package measured snaks, eat off a smaller dinner plate). Once you see these items as the true gold, it is easier to work through all the crap.

Yes, to your first question also....I do drink this crap, but I started out with a smoothie using flax oil, rather than seed and gradually got to this formula. It starts with ordering soup instead of fries with the meal and within a few weeks it is a lot less difficult.

Finally, you identified my greatest struggle. I feel a psychologoical need to enjoy food. What I need is a map to the minefield, not to stay away from the minefield. This is where the smoothies fit in. I was eating very poorly for breakfast (and stuff just to eat, not necessarily enjoy) so why not put the smoothie in place and at least that is one third of the meals each day. It will take me about 5 years to lose the desired weight, but you know what in 5 years I am going to be 5 years older anyway.

Also, you may wish to check out the "Belly-Off" chat group at Men's Health Mag website, some great personal stories and a few tips to trim calories.

pd

Peter
  • Post #27 - July 6th, 2004, 12:14 pm
    Post #27 - July 6th, 2004, 12:14 pm Post #27 - July 6th, 2004, 12:14 pm
    Oh, yeah, some recent tests indicate that calories burn more efficiently in the presence of calcium and an Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio of 2:1 (as opposed to about 14:1 avg. American). I don't know if there is any conclusive evidence on this yet, but stay tuned. Calcium and Omega 3s are good for you for other reasons, so why not. Omega 3s are in certain fish oils and flax seed.

pd
  • Post #28 - July 17th, 2004, 1:47 pm
    Post #28 - July 17th, 2004, 1:47 pm Post #28 - July 17th, 2004, 1:47 pm
    The Home Economist in Skokie has dried soups and dried fruits in bins so you can buy as little or much as you want.
  • Post #29 - July 17th, 2004, 10:12 pm
    Post #29 - July 17th, 2004, 10:12 pm Post #29 - July 17th, 2004, 10:12 pm
    As for the shelf stable Indian food, I have recently gotten hooked on the some of the Swad products. My fav is the Dal Tadka (lentils with onion, tomatoes and cumin). Amazingly enough, when you read the label, there is not a lot of junk in there (and I always read the labels).

Lately, I've been playing around with it and mixed it with rice, topped with pistachios and raisins. Made a downright yummy dinner (my "meat and potatoes" husband and three year old even liked it).

Something you could do at your desk (if you get the microwave rice).
  • Post #30 - July 23rd, 2004, 9:38 am
    Post #30 - July 23rd, 2004, 9:38 am Post #30 - July 23rd, 2004, 9:38 am
    Anybody tried making homemade stuff and canning it in appropriate sized jars?

Certainly would avoid the lack of quality in what's easily available, but certainly more work.

Can't comment more since the refrigerator/freezer situation at my work is rather nice and I haven't had to go this route.

But I do can all my homemade broths and they've all been fine, and don't take up all my freezer space.

Nancy

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more