LTH Home

Where to buy candied citron and orange peels?

Where to buy candied citron and orange peels?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Where to buy candied citron and orange peels?

    Post #1 - December 8th, 2010, 2:34 pm
    Post #1 - December 8th, 2010, 2:34 pm Post #1 - December 8th, 2010, 2:34 pm
    Where can I get candied orange peels and citron in Chicago? Thanks.
  • Post #2 - December 8th, 2010, 5:16 pm
    Post #2 - December 8th, 2010, 5:16 pm Post #2 - December 8th, 2010, 5:16 pm
    queryrunner wrote:Where can I get candied orange peels and citron in Chicago? Thanks.



    Do you need large quantities of orange peel? If not it's pretty easy to make it yourself. Sorry, I can't tell you where to find your items this time of year.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

    Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #3 - December 8th, 2010, 7:07 pm
    Post #3 - December 8th, 2010, 7:07 pm Post #3 - December 8th, 2010, 7:07 pm
    the spice house has dried orange peel. it's good quality, but of course, not as full bodied as freshly zested peel. can't help on the candied citron. justjoan
  • Post #4 - December 13th, 2010, 10:10 am
    Post #4 - December 13th, 2010, 10:10 am Post #4 - December 13th, 2010, 10:10 am
    You might try Trader Joe's. I've seen it there in years past. (And they almost always have chocolate-covered orange peel, which might make an interesting fruitcake.)
  • Post #5 - December 13th, 2010, 10:26 am
    Post #5 - December 13th, 2010, 10:26 am Post #5 - December 13th, 2010, 10:26 am
    I picked up "glazed" orange peel at Fresh Farms Niles the other day. The strips of peel are, I would say, poached in syrup and lightly coated with sugar. The orange peel is pretty soft and moist and would probably work well in fruitcake. I found it in a plastic tub with their dried fruits and nuts just as you turn the corner from produce towards the bakery.
  • Post #6 - December 13th, 2010, 5:38 pm
    Post #6 - December 13th, 2010, 5:38 pm Post #6 - December 13th, 2010, 5:38 pm
    LAZ wrote:You might try Trader Joe's. I've seen it there in years past. (And they almost always have chocolate-covered orange peel, which might make an interesting fruitcake.)


    Do be careful, as they also have chocolate covered orange jellies :) Quite good, but different. IIRC the tubs look very similar.
    Leek

    SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #7 - December 14th, 2010, 9:45 am
    Post #7 - December 14th, 2010, 9:45 am Post #7 - December 14th, 2010, 9:45 am
    At this time of year, I see candied orange and citron (the type for fruitcake, not the confectionery type like the TJ's chocolate dipped) in just about every supermarket around.
  • Post #8 - December 14th, 2010, 9:48 am
    Post #8 - December 14th, 2010, 9:48 am Post #8 - December 14th, 2010, 9:48 am
    Is it possible to buy a fresh citron to make your own? Anyone seen one around?
    i used to milk cows
  • Post #9 - December 16th, 2010, 11:03 am
    Post #9 - December 16th, 2010, 11:03 am Post #9 - December 16th, 2010, 11:03 am
    teatpuller wrote:Is it possible to buy a fresh citron to make your own? Anyone seen one around?

    I saw Buddha's hand citron at Treasure Island recently. It's not the same variety that's usually used but it would probably be ideal for candying. It has a very short season (I think we're at or near the end) so if you want to look for it I wouldn't waste any time.
  • Post #10 - December 16th, 2010, 11:41 am
    Post #10 - December 16th, 2010, 11:41 am Post #10 - December 16th, 2010, 11:41 am
    Buddha's Hand was also at Fresh Farms in Niles last weekend.
  • Post #11 - December 16th, 2010, 12:34 pm
    Post #11 - December 16th, 2010, 12:34 pm Post #11 - December 16th, 2010, 12:34 pm
    I HAVE seen those come to think of it. I just never put 2+2.
    i used to milk cows
  • Post #12 - December 28th, 2010, 12:07 pm
    Post #12 - December 28th, 2010, 12:07 pm Post #12 - December 28th, 2010, 12:07 pm
    I have some leftover candied orange and I tried to use them in these molasses cookies, but the dough and heat did not soften them up. They're pretty old and I think these cookies would have tasted all right had they not had hard little bits in them. Any idea how to re-soften candied fruit, or is it a lost cause?

    Thanks!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    In the world of apples, Pink Lady runs the whorehouse. ~ James Napoli

    Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #13 - December 28th, 2010, 12:55 pm
    Post #13 - December 28th, 2010, 12:55 pm Post #13 - December 28th, 2010, 12:55 pm
    Maybe try soaking in warm water or brandy? That might un-candy them, though...
    Leek

    SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #14 - December 28th, 2010, 7:21 pm
    Post #14 - December 28th, 2010, 7:21 pm Post #14 - December 28th, 2010, 7:21 pm
    Hi,

    The homemade peel I make does get hard and sharp as pine needles if they are left open. I use these to flavor tea.

    Regards,
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #15 - December 28th, 2010, 9:57 pm
    Post #15 - December 28th, 2010, 9:57 pm Post #15 - December 28th, 2010, 9:57 pm
    I recently made Panettones for the Food Desert Project and used the solids from strained orange marmalade in place of candied orange peel. Works in a pinch.
  • Post #16 - January 10th, 2011, 3:03 pm
    Post #16 - January 10th, 2011, 3:03 pm Post #16 - January 10th, 2011, 3:03 pm
    Now that fruitcake season is over, I'm having trouble finding candied/glace cherries. Where can I find these (not the kind in the syrup) out in this direction (Niles area)? Jewel and Fresh Farms don't have them. I contacted Trader Joe's and I'm waiting for a response.

    Thanks!
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love
    There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach
    In the world of apples, Pink Lady runs the whorehouse. ~ James Napoli

    Late-Nite Eats Database
  • Post #17 - January 30th, 2011, 3:37 pm
    Post #17 - January 30th, 2011, 3:37 pm Post #17 - January 30th, 2011, 3:37 pm
    Saw candied cherries, citron, etc today at Strack and Van Til on Elston in Chicago.
    Leek

    SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #18 - December 4th, 2011, 1:48 pm
    Post #18 - December 4th, 2011, 1:48 pm Post #18 - December 4th, 2011, 1:48 pm
    I'm thinking of making pannetone for my office holiday gifts this year. Where can I find higher-quality candied fruit than the stuff in the supermarket? Preferably without artificial additives. Or how much of a PITA is it to make from scratch?
  • Post #19 - December 4th, 2011, 5:48 pm
    Post #19 - December 4th, 2011, 5:48 pm Post #19 - December 4th, 2011, 5:48 pm
    Eva Luna wrote:I'm thinking of making pannetone for my office holiday gifts this year. Where can I find higher-quality candied fruit than the stuff in the supermarket? Preferably without artificial additives. Or how much of a PITA is it to make from scratch?

    Its not difficult, its just time consuming. The resulting product is way better than anything I've ever found in store.

    Some favorite recipes

    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/candied_citrus_peel/

    http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2011/02/ca ... on-recipe/

    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/candied_kumquats/

    http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/12/candied-ginger/
  • Post #20 - December 4th, 2011, 7:49 pm
    Post #20 - December 4th, 2011, 7:49 pm Post #20 - December 4th, 2011, 7:49 pm
    Athena wrote:
    Eva Luna wrote:I'm thinking of making pannetone for my office holiday gifts this year. Where can I find higher-quality candied fruit than the stuff in the supermarket? Preferably without artificial additives. Or how much of a PITA is it to make from scratch?

    Its not difficult, its just time consuming. The resulting product is way better than anything I've ever found in store.

    Some favorite recipes

    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/candied_citrus_peel/

    http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2011/02/ca ... on-recipe/

    http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/candied_kumquats/

    http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2008/12/candied-ginger/


    Interesting - I may have to give it a shot. The first recipe says to cook slowly for several hours in syrup. Have you ever done it in a Crock-Pot?
    Also, any favorite recipes for candied cherries or pineapple? Or glaceed fruits?
  • Post #21 - December 4th, 2011, 8:16 pm
    Post #21 - December 4th, 2011, 8:16 pm Post #21 - December 4th, 2011, 8:16 pm
    If you don't want to make your own and are open to something a little different, consider fruta cristalizada—Mexican candied fruit. Cremeria Santa Maria has a good selection of quality stuff. You should find citron and pineapple as well as sweet potato and some I can't identify. Have a look at G Wiv's nice photos as well as happy_stomach's in the following post. PS: I think the cow might be gone for the winter.

    Cremeria Santa Maria
    3424 W 26th St
    Chicago
    773-277-1760
  • Post #22 - December 4th, 2011, 8:27 pm
    Post #22 - December 4th, 2011, 8:27 pm Post #22 - December 4th, 2011, 8:27 pm
    Rene G wrote:If you don't want to make your own and are open to something a little different, consider fruta cristalizada—Mexican candied fruit. Cremeria Santa Maria has a good selection of quality stuff. You should find citron and pineapple as well as sweet potato and some I can't identify. Have a look at G Wiv's nice photos as well as happy_stomach's in the following post. PS: I think the cow might be gone for the winter.

    Cremeria Santa Maria
    3424 W 26th St
    Chicago
    773-277-1760


    That could be fun to check out in any case - thanks! And hey, most of my co-workers are actually Mexican, anyway...
  • Post #23 - December 4th, 2011, 8:35 pm
    Post #23 - December 4th, 2011, 8:35 pm Post #23 - December 4th, 2011, 8:35 pm
    Eva Luna wrote:
    Interesting - I may have to give it a shot. The first recipe says to cook slowly for several hours in syrup. Have you ever done it in a Crock-Pot?
    Also, any favorite recipes for candied cherries or pineapple? Or glaceed fruits?

    I've never tried a Crock-Pot (don't have one), but I don't see why it shouldn't work. I haven't made glaceed pinapple in a while, but I've got a recipe somewhere using canned pineapple which works very well & I'll see if I can dig out. The kumquat recipe above will give you glaceed fruits if you just dry them out a bit.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more