LTH Home

Salt-packed capers source?

Salt-packed capers source?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Salt-packed capers source?

Post #1 - June 11th, 2004, 2:58 pm
    Post #1 - June 11th, 2004, 2:58 pm Post #1 - June 11th, 2004, 2:58 pm
    Several months ago I bought some salt packed capers (rather than pickled and in liquid), ate them, and loved them. When I ran out I bought a jar of the old pickled kind and realized I had ruined myself for one more regular food item and had to have the salt-packed kind. I've been to Whole Foods on Ashland (where I'm 95% I bought them before), Trader Joe's on Lincoln, People's Market in Evanston, and Treasure Island on Clybourn and can't find them now!

Does anyone know where I can find them, preferably on the north side? Thanks!
  • Post #2 - June 11th, 2004, 3:31 pm
    Post #2 - June 11th, 2004, 3:31 pm Post #2 - June 11th, 2004, 3:31 pm
    Try the Italian specialty shops; that's where I always get them. But note that each store is occasionally out of one brand or the other and sometimes out of all.
    1) Conte di Savioa (Taylor Street, north side of street, near Bishop).
    2) Bari Foods (Grand, north side of street, just east of Racine, next to D'Amato's).
    3) Riviera (deli on first block of Harlem north of Belmont, west side of street).
    4) Caputo's (Italian full-service grocery, on west side of Harlem ca. 2700?, a few blocks south of Belmont).
    5) Isola Imports (Grand, a little further west then Bari, south side of street; they should always have them since they market their own imported capers from Italy).
    6) Fox and Obel (Streeterville near Navy Pier; they should have them but I haven't looked; if they do, they'll probably be really good but really overpriced).

I get the ones from Pantelleria if I have a choice. The bigger ones that you often find from the Abruzzi are good but not my favourites.

A
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.
  • Post #3 - June 11th, 2004, 6:06 pm
    Post #3 - June 11th, 2004, 6:06 pm Post #3 - June 11th, 2004, 6:06 pm
    Bari has them, two kinds, good quantity, good price.
  • Post #4 - June 11th, 2004, 6:26 pm
    Post #4 - June 11th, 2004, 6:26 pm Post #4 - June 11th, 2004, 6:26 pm
    annieb wrote:Bari has them, two kinds, good quantity, good price.

Sometimes...

(Sometimes for weeks they have none, so strike while the capers are there.)
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more