Marijuana: Hot New Ingredient for 2011

Marijuana: Hot New Ingredient for 2011
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - May 13th, 2010, 1:30 pm
    Post #31 - May 13th, 2010, 1:30 pm Post #31 - May 13th, 2010, 1:30 pm
    Here's an actual recipe for those that are interested:

Firecracker

Two crackers (saltines, Ritz, graham, whatever you prefer)
    Peanut Butter
    About a small joint's worth of cannabis (approx. little less than .5 grams)
    Aluminum foil

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
    Remove stems from cannabis and break into small pieces.
    Chop up finely on cutting board and set aside
    Spread peanut butter evenly on each cracker
    Sprinkle cannabis on each cracker and put together to make sandwich
    Wrap cracker sandwich in aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
    Let cool and eat on an empty stomach
    Don't plan any serious activity but expect to wait about an hour before you begin to feel uplift.

It's the heating of the compounds in cannabis that activate the reaction you are looking for and not so much the peanut butter/fat as a solvent. While cooking in butter or oil to make an extract is viable and proven method, the firecracker is a quick and dirty way to accomplish, well, whatever it is you are looking to accomplish.

In all seriousness, maybe this will serve as a reference to someone who chooses to help out a loved one in need of some pain or nausea relief.
  • Post #32 - May 13th, 2010, 2:29 pm
    Post #32 - May 13th, 2010, 2:29 pm Post #32 - May 13th, 2010, 2:29 pm
    man if they make the weed legal i gotta be careful... if someone puts it in food i'll be in trouble... stuff really trips me up (not in a good way)

the brownies certainly are not a myth! :o

and the butter, man that's real too... toooo real!
  • Post #33 - May 13th, 2010, 3:18 pm
    Post #33 - May 13th, 2010, 3:18 pm Post #33 - May 13th, 2010, 3:18 pm
    Ganja is the new bacon.
    I want to have a good body, but not as much as I want dessert. ~ Jason Love

There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I write stuff.
  • Post #34 - May 14th, 2010, 7:39 am
    Post #34 - May 14th, 2010, 7:39 am Post #34 - May 14th, 2010, 7:39 am
    David Hammond wrote:Though the use of cannabis in cooking certainly predates Gertrude Stein’s charmed circle, here’s the infamous recipe for "brownies" from friend Alice B. Toklas’ cookbook:

"Take 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, 1 whole nutmeg, 4 average sticks of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon coriander. These should all be pulverized in a mortar. About a handful each of stone dates, dried figs, shelled almonds and peanuts: chop these and mix them together. A bunch of canibus sativa can be pulverized. This along with the spices should be dusted over the mixed fruit and nuts, kneaded together. About a cup of sugar dissolved in a big pat of butter. Rolled into a cake and cut into pieces or made into balls about the size of a walnut, it should be eaten with care. Two pieces are quite sufficient. Obtaining the canibus may present certain difficulties.... It should be picked and dried as soon as it has gone to seed and while the plant is still green."

You know, I always thought pot brownies were, well, brownies. I had a friend (of a friend of a friend) who would just stir some into a box of Pillsbury brownie mix. I have to say, the recipe above sounds a lot more appealing than (my friend said) those were.
  • Post #35 - May 14th, 2010, 10:57 am
    Post #35 - May 14th, 2010, 10:57 am Post #35 - May 14th, 2010, 10:57 am
    David Hammond wrote:Though the use of cannabis in cooking certainly predates Gertrude Stein’s charmed circle, here’s the infamous recipe for "brownies" from friend Alice B. Toklas’ cookbook:

"Take 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, 1 whole nutmeg, 4 average sticks of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon coriander. These should all be pulverized in a mortar. About a handful each of stone dates, dried figs, shelled almonds and peanuts: chop these and mix them together. A bunch of canibus sativa can be pulverized. This along with the spices should be dusted over the mixed fruit and nuts, kneaded together. About a cup of sugar dissolved in a big pat of butter. Rolled into a cake and cut into pieces or made into balls about the size of a walnut, it should be eaten with care. Two pieces are quite sufficient. Obtaining the canibus may present certain difficulties.... It should be picked and dried as soon as it has gone to seed and while the plant is still green."

But these aren't heated.

?
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #36 - May 14th, 2010, 11:42 am
    Post #36 - May 14th, 2010, 11:42 am Post #36 - May 14th, 2010, 11:42 am
    Leek,

Just a thought: maybe they are more like bourbon balls for the cannibis oriented people.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #37 - May 14th, 2010, 11:56 am
    Post #37 - May 14th, 2010, 11:56 am Post #37 - May 14th, 2010, 11:56 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Leek,

Just a thought: maybe they are more like bourbon balls for the cannibis oriented people.

Regards,

I think that's it...

This recipe, though it appeared in the book "authored" by Toklas, was apparently not hers, which means she, Gertrude, Pablo, Man Ray and others probably did not sit around 27 rue de Fleurus saying things like "Whoa, look at the weird way the sun is shining on that African mask!"

Or maybe they did.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #38 - May 17th, 2010, 7:14 pm
    Post #38 - May 17th, 2010, 7:14 pm Post #38 - May 17th, 2010, 7:14 pm
    to think......with mobile food trucks and possibly marijuana putting themselves on the "finally legal" side of things in this city, there's gonna be a whole host of people that'll be hard-pressed to leave the house at night. ;)

We're on page two and i can't believe this thread hasn't gotten locked yet.

Really, in someone else's opinion, the best way to use it in cooking is to infuse it in butter. If you can cook well with butter, you can cook pretty well with bud. Nothin more to it, because as far as this someone else is concerned, the flavor of the leaf hasn't really added anything positive to anything they've ever eaten.
  • Post #39 - May 17th, 2010, 7:54 pm
    Post #39 - May 17th, 2010, 7:54 pm Post #39 - May 17th, 2010, 7:54 pm
    All the above being said, I will admit to a certain amount of discomfort with this subject matter. I like the idea of this thread locked for bringing politics into it, but I feel like having posted here and having read it makes it seem like I'm tacitly agreeing with something I vehemently oppose in practice.
  • Post #40 - May 17th, 2010, 8:23 pm
    Post #40 - May 17th, 2010, 8:23 pm Post #40 - May 17th, 2010, 8:23 pm
    Mhays wrote:All the above being said, I will admit to a certain amount of discomfort with this subject matter. I like the idea of this thread locked for bringing politics into it, but I feel like having posted here and having read it makes it seem like I'm tacitly agreeing with something I vehemently oppose in practice.

Whenever this thread has drifted into politics, which it risks doing if we start addressing the issues contained in the link you provided, it's come back on the culinary track. As long as the focus stays on food, there's no reason to lock this thread.
  • Post #41 - May 18th, 2010, 2:43 am
    Post #41 - May 18th, 2010, 2:43 am Post #41 - May 18th, 2010, 2:43 am
    Mhays wrote:...something I vehemently oppose in practice.

that's a pretty good food related link ;)

(had to take a nibble, not a bite ;))
  • Post #42 - May 18th, 2010, 7:41 am
    Post #42 - May 18th, 2010, 7:41 am Post #42 - May 18th, 2010, 7:41 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Khaopaat wrote:...so apparently sautéing up your wacky terbacky in butter, or mashing it up & soaking it in some olive oil, is actually a pretty efficient way to go.

LOL! I've also heard from a friend that this method is very effective but have no first-hand knowledge of it. 8)

=R=

Some of my friends back in college used to saute it in oil and add it to tomato sauce. From what they said the flavor was not unlike oregano
    trpt2345
  • Post #43 - May 19th, 2010, 8:29 am
    Post #43 - May 19th, 2010, 8:29 am Post #43 - May 19th, 2010, 8:29 am
    Kim Severson has a piece in today's New York Times that tracks a slightly different culinary aspect of marijuana . . .

Kim Severson @ NYT wrote:Nevertheless, a handful of chefs are unabashedly open about marijuana’s role in their creative and recreational lives and its effect on their restaurants.

The chefs and restaurateurs Frank Falcinelli and Frank Castronovo said most of their projects — going to Sicily to import olive oil to sell at their two Frankies Spuntino restaurants; the concept for their Brooklyn restaurant Prime Meats; even a new restaurant planned for Portland, Ore. — were conceived with the creative help of marijuana.

Roy Choi, who owns the fleet of Kogi Korean taco trucks in Los Angeles, likens the culinary culture that has grown up around marijuana to the one that rose up around the Grateful Dead years ago. Then, people who attended the band’s shows got high and shared live music. Now, people get high and share delicious, inventive and accessible food.

“It’s good music, maybe a little weed and really good times and great food that makes you feel good,” he said.

Marijuana Fuels a New Kitchen Culture

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #44 - May 21st, 2010, 10:09 pm
    Post #44 - May 21st, 2010, 10:09 pm Post #44 - May 21st, 2010, 10:09 pm
    Wow...

I had NO IDEA what kind of crowd I have been hanging out with here... :roll:
    Suburban gourmand
  • Post #45 - May 22nd, 2010, 6:01 am
    Post #45 - May 22nd, 2010, 6:01 am Post #45 - May 22nd, 2010, 6:01 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Kim Severson has a piece in today's New York Times that tracks a slightly different culinary aspect of marijuana . . .

People working in kitchens using marijuana? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. This is hardly new.
    trpt2345
  • Post #46 - May 22nd, 2010, 8:33 am
    Post #46 - May 22nd, 2010, 8:33 am Post #46 - May 22nd, 2010, 8:33 am
    trpt2345 wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Kim Severson has a piece in today's New York Times that tracks a slightly different culinary aspect of marijuana . . .

People working in kitchens using marijuana? I'm shocked, shocked I tell you. This is hardly new.

Yeah, I did think it was kind of a 'dog bites man' story but figured it was somewhat relevant to this discussion.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #47 - August 11th, 2010, 8:50 am
    Post #47 - August 11th, 2010, 8:50 am Post #47 - August 11th, 2010, 8:50 am
    JeffB wrote:Full legality for recreational use is a formality.

Seen 2 weeks back-- guys on Hollywood Blvd. with posterboard signs in a style I associate with car washes and going out of business mattress sales -- "Anxiety, Migraines? Call Dr. Weed. Rx $60."

Coming back from taking the waters in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, The Wife and I stopped in Idaho Springs for some delicious root beer at Tommyknocker Brewery (I know, alarmingly wholesome). In the few blocks we drove into Idaho Springs, we saw two dispensaries – these places are popping up like…weeds!
  • Post #48 - August 11th, 2010, 3:25 pm
    Post #48 - August 11th, 2010, 3:25 pm Post #48 - August 11th, 2010, 3:25 pm
    Instead of making brownies, another option (that works great with melted butter) is rice krispie treats! The regular kind doesn't mask the quite obvious taste (so I've heard...) but mix in a little peanut butter or make a PB frosting and you're good to go.

I will also second the notion of a different experience had eating vs. smoking: eating is indeed a slower process and more like what I assume 'tripping' would be. It radiates from your tummy instead of your head, if that makes sense.
  • Post #49 - August 11th, 2010, 3:32 pm
    Post #49 - August 11th, 2010, 3:32 pm Post #49 - August 11th, 2010, 3:32 pm
    grace21 wrote:Instead of making brownies, another option (that works great with melted butter) is rice krispie treats! The regular kind doesn't mask the quite obvious taste (so I've heard...) but mix in a little peanut butter or make a PB frosting and you're good to go.

I will also second the notion of a different experience had eating vs. smoking: eating is indeed a slower process and more like what I assume 'tripping' would be. It radiates from your tummy instead of your head, if that makes sense.

Many of the dispensaries in Colorado seem to serve up the weed in baked or other confections, including ice cream. Aside from the obvious pleasures of tummy radiation, consumption also avoids filling the lungs with smoke which I believe actually contains toxic tars, etc. on par with tobacco.
  • Post #50 - August 27th, 2010, 12:28 pm
    Post #50 - August 27th, 2010, 12:28 pm Post #50 - August 27th, 2010, 12:28 pm
    The story of the serious cannabis chef has been reported on Chow, Thrillist, Grub Street, and other sites.

Some quotes:

“What I do is get medicine to people who need it, in a really pleasurable way. I'm trying to make awesome food that's healing.”

“I do a Guinness-hash demiglace that tastes like Guinness with some sweetness from the mirepoix, and then a tiny tiny hint of the THC.”

“I'm careful about how much THC I put into the foods; I've learned a lot about that with the parties I've done so far. The first one I did, people got so loaded that they literally had to be helped out to their cabs. I want you to be knocked down but I don't want you to not be able to talk or be hallucinating or in a coma with lipstick on your forehead because you can't find your face.”

“I'm the French Laundry of the weed world.”
  • Post #51 - August 29th, 2010, 10:46 am
    Post #51 - August 29th, 2010, 10:46 am Post #51 - August 29th, 2010, 10:46 am
    I wanna try this guy's tasting menu!! :lol:
  • Post #52 - November 3rd, 2010, 11:06 pm
    Post #52 - November 3rd, 2010, 11:06 pm Post #52 - November 3rd, 2010, 11:06 pm
    electric mullet wrote:Here's an actual recipe for those that are interested:

Firecracker

Two crackers (saltines, Ritz, graham, whatever you prefer)
    Peanut Butter
    About a small joint's worth of cannabis (approx. little less than .5 grams)
    Aluminum foil

Preheat oven to 325 degrees
    Remove stems from cannabis and break into small pieces.
    Chop up finely on cutting board and set aside
    Spread peanut butter evenly on each cracker
    Sprinkle cannabis on each cracker and put together to make sandwich
    Wrap cracker sandwich in aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
    Let cool and eat on an empty stomach
    Don't plan any serious activity but expect to wait about an hour before you begin to feel uplift.

It's the heating of the compounds in cannabis that activate the reaction you are looking for and not so much the peanut butter/fat as a solvent. While cooking in butter or oil to make an extract is viable and proven method, the firecracker is a quick and dirty way to accomplish, well, whatever it is you are looking to accomplish.

In all seriousness, maybe this will serve as a reference to someone who chooses to help out a loved one in need of some pain or nausea relief.

Electric mullet, I was reviewing this thread and was reminded of what a simple daily preparation this would be (ingredients would all be kept fresh and it’s dosage controlled) for those who must consume marijuana for medical reasons. Like it. Though I might add a dash of hot sauce.
  • Post #53 - November 7th, 2010, 5:43 pm
    Post #53 - November 7th, 2010, 5:43 pm Post #53 - November 7th, 2010, 5:43 pm
    Back in college at Thanksgiving time, my friends of friends would host what they dubbed, "Danks-giving," using cannabis-infused butter for all preparations, e.g., herbed butter rubbed underneath the turkey's skin before cooking.

They found the infused butter easier to work with rather than dumping solid material into recipes (which may take on an acrid flavor) - also with the infusion no leaves or stems get stuck between your teeth. :mrgreen:
    "Did you know that all food in NC is served on a biscuit? I ordered a biscuit - it came inside another biscuit. It was like turducken, but all biscuit."
    ~ Al Madrigal, The Daily Show
  • Post #54 - November 7th, 2010, 7:41 pm
    Post #54 - November 7th, 2010, 7:41 pm Post #54 - November 7th, 2010, 7:41 pm
    shortly after my friend's husband moved in with her (and seriously, I AM talking about a friend, heh), he made what he called "fun butter". He used it to bake cookies and forgot to tell her. She came home from work one day and said, "ooh! cookies!" and ate three. Then she and I went out to dinner.

It was a reeeeally short dinner. Neither of us could figure out why she kept falling asleep at the table.
  • Post #55 - November 7th, 2010, 8:57 pm
    Post #55 - November 7th, 2010, 8:57 pm Post #55 - November 7th, 2010, 8:57 pm
    The fats laced with THC, like the ganja butter and oil used in Rasta pasta and cookies and what have you, frequently end up tasting burnt or rancid. The butter is cooked too long or the oil is kept in the closet too long out of ignorance or fear of making something less-than-intoxicating. But I've found that boutique marijuana, like the type grown in California (re: Prop 19), has delicious flavors and smells, and that the disagreeable flavor of pot brownies and such is from mishandled lipids; a result of a lack of cooking knowledge and ability, not something inherent in the marijuana flavor-profile. When marijuana is finally legalized, culinary minds will find a way to use it as a spice or flavoring agent instead of something simply intoxicating. Is there not tasty wine that gets you drunk? Is there not tasty espresso that 'wakes you up'? There is tasty weed that gets you high. Hopefully, marijuana will soon join foie gras and alcohol as being one of the most ridiculous and delicious instances of illegalization.
    "The life of a repo man is always intense."
  • Post #56 - November 8th, 2010, 5:24 pm
    Post #56 - November 8th, 2010, 5:24 pm Post #56 - November 8th, 2010, 5:24 pm
    This may be of interest
    (click link for full story)
    BBC Link: Dutch sniff cards to help find cannabis plantations wrote:Around 30,000 Dutch households are to receive marijuana-scented scratch cards in a bid to uncover illegal urban cannabis plantations.
  • Post #57 - November 22nd, 2010, 3:11 pm
    Post #57 - November 22nd, 2010, 3:11 pm Post #57 - November 22nd, 2010, 3:11 pm
    "mells, and that the disagreeable flavor of pot brownies and such is from mishandled lipids"

re the disagreeable flavor in brownies... i have a friend who regularly makes them with coconut oil. it gives it a really great flavor, and from a "technical" perspective is better than butter I'm told. they're some of the best tasting brownies--regular or not--you can find.
  • Post #58 - January 25th, 2011, 10:43 am
    Post #58 - January 25th, 2011, 10:43 am Post #58 - January 25th, 2011, 10:43 am
    Pot pop to launch.
  • Post #59 - January 25th, 2011, 12:17 pm
    Post #59 - January 25th, 2011, 12:17 pm Post #59 - January 25th, 2011, 12:17 pm
    David Hammond wrote: Pot pop to launch.
    Any bets on how long until their PR firm opens a temporary soda fountain in some other space (yes, that'd be a "Pot Pop Pop-Up")?

-Dan
  • Post #60 - January 25th, 2011, 4:26 pm
    Post #60 - January 25th, 2011, 4:26 pm Post #60 - January 25th, 2011, 4:26 pm
    MBK wrote:and the butter, man that's real too... toooo real!

laughing out loud at work will get you noticed... my day just got a little brighter after reading this. Thanks!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more