Chefs

Posted March 11th 2010, 1:36am
LTH,

I'm very fond of Noon Hour's pickled herring in sour cream, and prefer it to Vita. At one time, the Jewel at Clark and Division carried the 22 oz. jars, but no more since their re-do a few years ago. The two Treasure Island stores near me carry only Vita and Ma Cohens in quart size jars, but I really prefer the Noon Hour.

Our go-to grocery store, Pete's Fresh Market, carries Noon Hour, but only in the tiny 6-7 oz jars and they're expensive. I guess there aren't many herring eaters down by Western and Cermak.

So for this herring, my go-to place has become Kauffman's, which isn't a bad thing. I usually hit it before or after going to NYB&B, but it's such a schlep.

Has anyone seen the large jars of Noon hour closer to the south loop?

Thanks,

:twisted:

“Is salami and eggs better than sex?" Alan King

Lead Moderator
Web
Posted March 11th 2010, 4:56pm
Hey Evil,

I used to like the creamed version, too.

Shot in the dark, but have you tried their main office? If you tell them how much you love the stuff, maybe you can get a few jars straight from the source...or at least they might be able to help you find another retail outlet near you:

Noon Hour Food Products Inc
(312) 382-1177
215 N Desplaines St Fl 1
Chicago IL 60661

“We all have to stand before the kitchen gods.” Chef Jacob Sahaya Kumar Aruni
Posted March 11th 2010, 10:48pm
Great idea David. Thanks.

Lead Moderator
Posted March 11th 2010, 11:19pm
Evil!

I was at Costco over the weekend. They were sampling Orkney herring in cream sauce and regular. It seemed ok, the price was under $5 for a pound and would please my Mom.

A few months ago, I bought a jar of Vita herring in cream sauce. It wasn't well received. To finish it off as painlessly as possible, I served it over boiled potatoes for dinner.

We had some Orkney herring this evening. I gave the label a closer inspection to find these herring in cream sauce were packed in Scotland. I'm sure these will pass out of our lives once Passover is over. You may want to try them.

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
(Online)
Posted March 12th 2010, 9:26am
I stopped at Srulie's kosher deli the other day and picked up some house-modified spicy herring. It tastes like it starts out as herring in cream sauce but has added pepper flakes and the "cream" (it's a kosher meat deli and I'm sure it's not dairy) had the taste and texture of the Japanese mayo they put on spicy tuna. It was pretty good and I'll have to ask what's in it next time I stop by.

Posted March 12th 2010, 4:25pm
Evil Ronnie, Noon Hour is our favorite brand, too.

The Jewel on Howard St in Evanston is marginally closer to you than Kauffman's. They reliably have several sizes of the creamed Noon Hour in stock. They have a big kosher section so we have found the herring in the regular dairy case and also in the Kosher section.

Of course, Jewel does not have Kauffman's great rye bread so....

Jewel
2485 Howard St
Evanston, IL 60202
(847) 328-9791

--Joy
Posted March 20th 2010, 2:22am
David Hammond said:

"I used to like the creamed version, too." (But not any more?)

"Shot in the dark, but have you tried their main office? If you tell them how much you love the stuff, maybe you can get a few jars straight from the source...or at least they might be able to help you find another retail outlet near you"

What a fantastic suggestion. I called today and they will sell to me.

The power of great LTH minds at work!

Lead Moderator
Web
Posted March 20th 2010, 7:53am
Evil Ronnie wrote:David Hammond said:

"I used to like the creamed version, too." (But not any more?)

For some reason, at some point, The Wife and I started getting it in the clear sauce and have stuck with it, unthinkingly, for years. So, I wouldn't say that I don't like the creamed version any more; I just haven't had it in a long time...so now, inspired by this conversation, I must procure some and try it.

“We all have to stand before the kitchen gods.” Chef Jacob Sahaya Kumar Aruni

Site Admin
Posted March 20th 2010, 8:15am
FWIW, 14oz. Noon Hour creamed herring spotted at Lincolnwood Produce. They also have the smaller jars.

Steve Z.

"Why should I eat a carrot when I can eat pizza?" - Dan Janssen

Lead Moderator
Posted November 22nd 2010, 10:39am
Hi,

I saw Noon Hour at Woodman's in Kenosha.

Regards,

Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
Posted November 22nd 2010, 12:10pm
At the Woodman's in North Aurora as well... I'm dangerous with that stuff, I could eat jars of it!

Site Admin
Posted November 22nd 2010, 12:38pm
Also both varieties are sold at Fresh Farms in Niles in the new Smoked Fish "department" (actually, two coolers) just past the bakery where the challah rolls used to be (they are now located closer to the bakery).

Steve Z.

"Why should I eat a carrot when I can eat pizza?" - Dan Janssen
Posted January 9th 2011, 10:39am
I just bought a large container at GFS (Gordon Food Service) in Indy. You can probably find some locations in Chicago-land.
Posted February 13th 2011, 3:48pm
They have this brand at Strack and Van Til on Elston, but I didn't check the sizes available.

My grandparents would take the pickled herring and just add their own sour cream on the plate. They also would put a bunch of extra cut onions into the jar once there was room :)

Leek
SAVING ONE DOG MAY NOT CHANGE THE WORLD, BUT IT CHANGES THE WORLD FOR THAT ONE DOG.
American Brittany Rescuealways needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog.
Posted February 14th 2011, 9:31am
I see this at my local Sentry (Centrella) all the time, and buy it once in awhile. Funny thing is that the small jar in the dairy section is $3.99 and the big tub in the meat section is $3.49.........

Pitmaster Emeritus
Web
Posted March 22nd 2011, 8:26am
Thought I had scored for Evil Ronnie, but after rereading his post see I am off the mark with Vita Wild Herring in Wine Sauce. Good price though.

Costco, Niles 3.20.11

cell phone pic

Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow
Posted March 27th 2011, 10:25am
$6.49/32oz jar at Woodman's in Kenosha.
Picked up a jar to try. Used to get my herring at Andy's but alas.-Dick
GNR

Online Information