LTH Home

Eiffel Tower Chicken (Vertical Roaster) + Chicken Hook

Eiffel Tower Chicken (Vertical Roaster) + Chicken Hook
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Eiffel Tower Chicken (Vertical Roaster) + Chicken Hook

Post #1 - February 22nd, 2010, 9:19 am
    Post #1 - February 22nd, 2010, 9:19 am Post #1 - February 22nd, 2010, 9:19 am
    LTH,

With deference to Mr. Kass and Beer Can Chicken, and as much fun as it is to jam a can of beer into a chickens tush, my Low & Slow preference is the open frame Eiffel Tower style vertical roaster which allows heat and wood smoke to flow through the chickens cavity.

Vertical Roaster

Four and a quarter pound Air Chilled roaster from Whole Foods lightly brined then rubbed both under and over the skin with butter, s/p, lemon juice and Herbes de Provence then onto the Big Green Egg for a session with lump charcoal and apple wood.

Note falling snow in picture

Juicy, moist, even the breast meat was tasty

Polenta, marinated asparagus* and few slices of tomato rounded out dinner. A solid Thumbs Up from both myself and the bride.

Enjoy,
    Gary

*Simmer asparagus just past crisp, drain, while still warm marinate in vinaigrette for at least 30-minutes.
    Last edited by G Wiv on August 5th, 2018, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #2 - February 22nd, 2010, 7:30 pm
    Post #2 - February 22nd, 2010, 7:30 pm Post #2 - February 22nd, 2010, 7:30 pm
    Looks great, Gary. The oft-posted (by me) place I became acquainted with this piece of equipment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43VjLCRqKNk

"What I usually do is... take that flap of skin... I love that chicken-neck." You're in good company.
  • Post #3 - February 22nd, 2010, 8:36 pm
    Post #3 - February 22nd, 2010, 8:36 pm Post #3 - February 22nd, 2010, 8:36 pm
    Matt,

I don't think I've seen that, but I should have known the The Continental could cook.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #4 - February 22nd, 2010, 8:54 pm
    Post #4 - February 22nd, 2010, 8:54 pm Post #4 - February 22nd, 2010, 8:54 pm
    looks great gary :mrgreen:
    philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
  • Post #5 - February 23rd, 2010, 4:23 pm
    Post #5 - February 23rd, 2010, 4:23 pm Post #5 - February 23rd, 2010, 4:23 pm
    My brother gave me a neat little vertical chicken roaster that has a beer-can-sized circular opening in the middle and four metal feet to keep it stable. Best of both worlds. I'd post a link picture if I could find one similar to it on the internet. A quick google reveals that there is no shortage of vertical chicken roaster designs out there.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #6 - February 24th, 2010, 10:07 am
    Post #6 - February 24th, 2010, 10:07 am Post #6 - February 24th, 2010, 10:07 am
    Katie wrote:A quick google reveals that there is no shortage of vertical chicken roaster designs out there.

Lots of choices, my preference the open frame design, pictured upthread, which allows heat/wood smoke to flow through the cavity of the bird.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #7 - June 19th, 2018, 8:02 pm
    Post #7 - June 19th, 2018, 8:02 pm Post #7 - June 19th, 2018, 8:02 pm
    Eight years later the open frame Eiffel Tower style, aka Vertical Roaster, remains my preference.

Chicken went about 375° on a 26.5" Weber Kettle, two stage lump charcoal fire, rotated every ten minutes or so until 165° in the thigh.

ChickenEiffelTowerLTH2.jpg Eiffel Tower Chicken
    ChickenEiffelTowerLTH4.jpg Vertical Roaster Chicken

ChickenEiffelTowerLTH1.jpg Winner winner chicken dinner.

ChickenEiffelTowerLTH3.jpg A few Italian sausage

Vertical Roaster, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #8 - August 5th, 2018, 10:29 am
    Post #8 - August 5th, 2018, 10:29 am Post #8 - August 5th, 2018, 10:29 am
    Duck on my new Elevated Cook Chicken Hook. Started about 5am so I didn't melt, bride is out of town, smoked duck for breakfast, sure, why not! :) Duck was bought at Harrison's Poultry Farm in Glenview, the only place I know that always has fresh never frozen duck in Chicagoland.

FBIntstPost6.jpg Duck on a Chicken Hook

FBIntstPost1.jpg 26.5 Weber Kettle, set up for indirect.

FBIntstPost5.jpg Smoked Duck on Chicken Hook, done.

FBIntstPost2.jpg Duck off the bone.

FBIntstPost3.jpg Duck ready to slice

FBIntstPost4.jpg Sliced smoked duck breast.

First time out I'm digging the Chicken Hook.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #9 - August 5th, 2018, 10:48 am
    Post #9 - August 5th, 2018, 10:48 am Post #9 - August 5th, 2018, 10:48 am
    Gorgeous, Gary. Btw, duck you! :P

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #10 - August 5th, 2018, 12:05 pm
    Post #10 - August 5th, 2018, 12:05 pm Post #10 - August 5th, 2018, 12:05 pm
    G Wiv wrote:First time out I'm digging the Chicken Hook.

Chicken Hook? I thought you were a Chicken Hawk.

Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #11 - August 6th, 2018, 8:15 am
    Post #11 - August 6th, 2018, 8:15 am Post #11 - August 6th, 2018, 8:15 am
    Did you finish with high direct heat? How'd you get the skin so crispy? Is there any way to turn the bird over, or is that irrelevant with that setup?
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #12 - August 6th, 2018, 9:58 am
    Post #12 - August 6th, 2018, 9:58 am Post #12 - August 6th, 2018, 9:58 am
    JoelF wrote:Did you finish with high direct heat? How'd you get the skin so crispy? Is there any way to turn the bird over, or is that irrelevant with that setup?

No need to finish with high heat as the 26.5 setup for indirect ran around 375° to 400° No need to turn the bird over but, and this is essential with both the vertical roaster & chicken hook on an indirect/two-stage Weber kettle fire, one must rotate* the bird every ten minutes so different sides of the bird, duck/chicken/falcon face the fire for even cooking.

As duck is fatty I poked holes in the skin, careful not to pierce the flesh, to help the fat melt off and placed a drip pan half filled with water under the duck to catch the dripping fat. Without the water filled pan there is a good chance for a grease fire and a 100% chance of a fatty sludgy mess to clean up.

Two other things, I often do poultry hot and fast, aka hot smoke roast, as there is no need to break down connective tissue as in ribs/brisket etc, and if one is using a WSM or Big Green Egg, where the heat comes up evenly around the grate, there is no need to rotate using either device.

I'm not much one for cooking gadgets but I'm digging the Chicken Hook and have used vertical roasters for years. I should point out there is no need to use a device to cook terrific poultry on a smoker or grill, just makes for an interesting tasty variation once in a while.

The rub I used was tasty interesting and contained a new to me spice blend, Vadouvan, French masala curry powder. I mixed Vadouvan with Half-Sharp paprika, Gary Wiviott rub, salt, cracked pepper and a bit of onion/garlic powder, all from The Spice House.

ChickenHookLTH13.jpg The Spice House

*Right, left, back, front. No need to rotate top to bottom.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #13 - August 6th, 2018, 10:27 am
    Post #13 - August 6th, 2018, 10:27 am Post #13 - August 6th, 2018, 10:27 am
    G Wiv wrote:*Right, left, back, front. No need to rotate top to bottom.

So, what you're saying is that there's no need to flip the bird?
    *rim shot*

=R=
  • Post #14 - August 9th, 2018, 9:11 pm
    Post #14 - August 9th, 2018, 9:11 pm Post #14 - August 9th, 2018, 9:11 pm
    Chicken on the Elevated Cook Chicken Hook, Tasty, Crispy, Juicy and I just beat the rain! Smashed cucumbers, rice and chili oil to round out a nice summer meal.

ElevatedCookChickenFBInsta3.jpg Chicken Hook, Chicken

ElevatedCookChickenFBInsta2.jpg Chicken, rice, smashed cucumbers, chili oil.

Chicken Hook, Count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #15 - April 9th, 2019, 2:14 am
    Post #15 - April 9th, 2019, 2:14 am Post #15 - April 9th, 2019, 2:14 am
    Fennel and Mushroom Salad, Chicken Hook chicken on Big Green Egg = dinner with the bride. #homecooking

ChickenHookP1.jpg Chicken w/potato & garlic

ChickenHookP3.jpg Fennel and Mushroom Salad

ChickenHookP2.jpg Chicken hook on BGE

Roast chicken, count me a fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #16 - May 31st, 2019, 7:22 pm
    Post #16 - May 31st, 2019, 7:22 pm Post #16 - May 31st, 2019, 7:22 pm
    Chicken on the Elevated Cook Chicken Hook = Dinner with the bride #lowslowbbq #countmeafan #homecooking
    ChickenHookK6P.jpg Chicken on the Chicken Hook.

Chicken Hook, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #17 - June 1st, 2019, 12:39 pm
    Post #17 - June 1st, 2019, 12:39 pm Post #17 - June 1st, 2019, 12:39 pm
    Gary,
    I'm just curious.

Great pics and write up of the chicken on the vertical over the years, as well as the chicken and duck on the hook!

Looking at the chicken on the vertical roaster pics, it appears the roaster easily handles the chickens in the sizes you mention, but have you ever tried that vertical roaster with a turkey?

Maybe it wouldn't be able to handle the bigger size of the bird, stability wise, but it looks like it could.

Not sure if you would have the top clearance on the 26 kettle or your BGE.

I have too many gadgets as it is, but I could eliminate a couple with the roaster/hook combo purchase.

Thanks for the great write ups
    Bill-Plainfield
  • Post #18 - June 1st, 2019, 1:19 pm
    Post #18 - June 1st, 2019, 1:19 pm Post #18 - June 1st, 2019, 1:19 pm
    Willkat98 wrote:but have you ever tried that vertical roaster with a turkey?
    I have not used the chicken vertical roaster with a turkey, though it takes fairly large birds. Not to worry though, they make a vertical roaster for turkeys. ---> Link

According to ---> This Weber info site the clearance from cooking grate to dome on a 26" charcoal kettle is 8.5 inches, the vertical turkey roaster is 10".

I have a large BGE, grill grate 18", I'm guessing no problem on vertical turkey roaster height, worst case scenario place it directly on the plate diffuser setup for low/slow.

Chicken hooks and vertical roasters are easy and fun to use but, of course, are by no means necessary to accomplish beautiful tasty birds on BGE, WSM or Weber kettle.

When I do turkeys on a BGE or WSM I tend to use the method I outlined in http://www.lowslowbbq.com book 2
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #19 - June 1st, 2019, 1:45 pm
    Post #19 - June 1st, 2019, 1:45 pm Post #19 - June 1st, 2019, 1:45 pm
    Thanks Gary.

Great info and links.

I got rid of my Bandera which is how I originally made your acquaintance with the Pit Crew list serv, way way back.

But I have an insulated cabinet smoker (can't shake the vertical!) which the turkey tower roaster link you provided might just be the ticket.

Breaking in the Blackstone 36" griddle this weekend.

So many toys, so little time :)

Thanks and good cooking to you
    Bill-Plainfield
  • Post #20 - June 1st, 2019, 2:01 pm
    Post #20 - June 1st, 2019, 2:01 pm Post #20 - June 1st, 2019, 2:01 pm
    Willkat98 wrote:I got rid of my Bandera which is how I originally made your acquaintance with the Pit Crew list serv, way way back.
    =-

Ahhh, the Bandera, a terrific piece of equipment, still have mine though the door has been rewelded on twice. Bandera's, last time I looked, are now made overseas and a whisper of their former glory.

The Blackstone griddle seems to be the new It Girl of the outdoor cooking crowd. If my wife wouldn't have my head I'd buy one in a heartbeat. :)

Those old listservs were wonderful sources of info.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #21 - June 1st, 2019, 2:12 pm
    Post #21 - June 1st, 2019, 2:12 pm Post #21 - June 1st, 2019, 2:12 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    Willkat98 wrote:I got rid of my Bandera which is how I originally made your acquaintance with the Pit Crew list serv, way way back.
    =-

Ahhh, the Bandera, a terrific piece of equipment, still have mine though the door has been rewelded on twice. Bandera's, last time I looked, are now made overseas and a whisper of their former glory.

The Blackstone griddle seems to be the new It Girl of the outdoor cooking crowd. If my wife wouldn't have my head I'd buy one in a heartbeat. :)

It's a very weird coincidence that just this morning this item had magically moved from the near to the bottom of my 'saved for later' Amazon cart to the very top of it. I'd carted it last year on Prime Day, when the price dropped to $200 but I never pulled the trigger. If it happens again this year, perhaps . . . and yes, please don't tell my wife. If I do get one, I'll try to sneak it out back and pretend like it's always been there. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #22 - August 18th, 2019, 10:03 pm
    Post #22 - August 18th, 2019, 10:03 pm Post #22 - August 18th, 2019, 10:03 pm
    Chicken on the Elevated Cook Chicken Hook = dinner with the bride. Bonus, knockwurst from Joseph's Finest Meats

ChickenHookP52.jpg Chicken Hook

ChickenHookP53.jpg Chicken Hook

NotKosherSaltP1.jpg Not Kosher Salt

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #23 - July 15th, 2020, 10:18 am
    Post #23 - July 15th, 2020, 10:18 am Post #23 - July 15th, 2020, 10:18 am
    Brined chicken on the Elevated Cook Chicken Hook. One of the few add-on products for the grill/smoker I actually use along with GrillGrate and the Woo 3 from Ceramic Grill Store. Less is more, slow is fast, a stitch in time saves nine.

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #24 - July 15th, 2020, 1:03 pm
    Post #24 - July 15th, 2020, 1:03 pm Post #24 - July 15th, 2020, 1:03 pm
    Hi,

In a demonstration of using a single-use item used more than one-way: I saw a vertical roaster using a Bundt pan.

I have to think really hard if I want to sacrifice my Bundt pan for the roasted chicken experiment.

GAry, of course, your chicken lookes terrific.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #25 - July 15th, 2020, 4:43 pm
    Post #25 - July 15th, 2020, 4:43 pm Post #25 - July 15th, 2020, 4:43 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

In a demonstration of using a single-use item used more than one-way: I saw a vertical roaster using a Bundt pan.

I have to think really hard if I want to sacrifice my Bundt pan for the roasted chicken experiment.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    I find Bundt pans at Estate Sales, Goodwill, etc., for a couple of bucks. You could cheaply have an extra for just this purpose.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #26 - July 15th, 2020, 5:53 pm
    Post #26 - July 15th, 2020, 5:53 pm Post #26 - July 15th, 2020, 5:53 pm
    Xexo wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Regards,
    Cathy2
    I find Bundt pans at Estate Sales, Goodwill, etc., for a couple of bucks. You could cheaply have an extra for just this purpose.

I can’t believe that she has only one Bundt pan in her repertoire.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #27 - July 15th, 2020, 9:15 pm
    Post #27 - July 15th, 2020, 9:15 pm Post #27 - July 15th, 2020, 9:15 pm
    Hi,

I have two Bundt pans, an Angel food cake and other such oddities.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #28 - August 8th, 2020, 4:00 pm
    Post #28 - August 8th, 2020, 4:00 pm Post #28 - August 8th, 2020, 4:00 pm
    Mr. Wiviott, could you fit two chickens on two chicken hooks on your 26" Weber kettle?
  • Post #29 - August 8th, 2020, 4:17 pm
    Post #29 - August 8th, 2020, 4:17 pm Post #29 - August 8th, 2020, 4:17 pm
    Bok Choy Jr wrote:Mr. Wiviott, could you fit two chickens on two chicken hooks on your 26" Weber kettle?

Yes, easily, even taking into consideration a two stage fire. More of the Eiffel Tower type open stands.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #30 - November 5th, 2020, 4:35 am
    Post #30 - November 5th, 2020, 4:35 am Post #30 - November 5th, 2020, 4:35 am
    Beautiful night for outdoor cooking, curry rub bird on the Chicken Hook with curried black beans and rice. Last minute addition of golden raisins to beans punched over weight.

click to enlarge

Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide