LTH Home

What are you cooking for Passover Seder?

What are you cooking for Passover Seder?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 7 of 7 
  • Post #181 - March 29th, 2018, 4:15 pm
    Post #181 - March 29th, 2018, 4:15 pm Post #181 - March 29th, 2018, 4:15 pm
    Luckily I'm a guest, so I'm just making a cake! Cynthia Rodan's orange almond cake.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #182 - March 29th, 2018, 5:15 pm
    Post #182 - March 29th, 2018, 5:15 pm Post #182 - March 29th, 2018, 5:15 pm
    I'm so behind.....I still have to shop. Luckily I'm hosting the 2nd night.
    Matzoh ball soup
    Charoset
    Steamed Salmon with some kind of herb butter sauce (suggestions welcome)
    Hard Boiled Eggs ;)
    Some kind of veggie dish
    Maccaroons (Jill Zarin's recipe is my fave)

Others are bringing:
    Brisket
    Tsimmes
    Veggie Kugel
    Veggie dish
    Fresh Fruit
    Dessert from Bent Fork
  • Post #183 - March 29th, 2018, 9:07 pm
    Post #183 - March 29th, 2018, 9:07 pm Post #183 - March 29th, 2018, 9:07 pm
    At 8pm, the brisket was at 190F. A little low normally, but this beast is like butter, seriously, I can nearly spread it like nduja.

Yield is not good on those prime briskets, though: the label was 15.36lbs, trimmed a couple pounds off the edge, final weight 7lbs even.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #184 - March 30th, 2018, 10:02 am
    Post #184 - March 30th, 2018, 10:02 am Post #184 - March 30th, 2018, 10:02 am
    JoelF wrote:Yield is not good on those prime briskets, though: the label was 15.36lbs, trimmed a couple pounds off the edge, final weight 7lbs even.

This is nearly the same weight ratio I found with my corned beef. I started with a point cut near four pounds and yielded two pounds once it was finished. It may just be the nature of this cut of meat.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #185 - March 30th, 2018, 2:07 pm
    Post #185 - March 30th, 2018, 2:07 pm Post #185 - March 30th, 2018, 2:07 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    JoelF wrote:Yield is not good on those prime briskets, though: the label was 15.36lbs, trimmed a couple pounds off the edge, final weight 7lbs even.

This is nearly the same weight ratio I found with my corned beef. I started with a point cut near four pounds and yielded two pounds once it was finished. It may just be the nature of this cut of meat.

Regards,
    Cathy2

So, for science, I did research: According to this site, brisket yields about 43%, so I'm actually beating the odds, and the prime didn't lose its weight due to excess fat, although the water pan was at least a quart of tallow this morning.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #186 - March 30th, 2018, 2:36 pm
    Post #186 - March 30th, 2018, 2:36 pm Post #186 - March 30th, 2018, 2:36 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:

Regards,
    Cathy2

So, for science, I did research: According to this site, brisket yields about 43%, so I'm actually beating the odds, and the prime didn't lose its weight due to excess fat, although the water pan was at least a quart of tallow this morning.

“Jerry, tell ‘em about the shrinkage.”
    —- G. Costanza
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #187 - March 30th, 2018, 2:45 pm
    Post #187 - March 30th, 2018, 2:45 pm Post #187 - March 30th, 2018, 2:45 pm
    I'm used to 12-16 immediate family members for Passover (no cousins). This year it's going to be only 5. My mom wants to cook everything as usual but not this time. One of us has major dietary restrictions from health issues which leaves 4. I'm on a special diet myself but I can still eat some of it. A very weird night. From what I hear at the minimum it's matzah ball soup (chicken available), brisket, asparagus, broccoli/peas/cheddar/crispy onions casserole, and dessert. I wish our brisket was smoked like some of yours.
  • Post #188 - April 1st, 2018, 1:17 pm
    Post #188 - April 1st, 2018, 1:17 pm Post #188 - April 1st, 2018, 1:17 pm
    Mr. CE is Jewish, I'm not, we love to entertain and after a very disappointing Mon Ami Gabi seder last year, decided we'd host our first seder this year. So we did a relatively secular second-night seder primarily for non-Jews. (And while there was nothing leavened, we disregarded meat/dairy rules.)

Given this was our inaugural effort, we did some catered, some from scratch:
    1st course:
    Matzo ball soup
    Obligatory sips of Manischewitz before pulling out the good wine

2nd course:
    Chopped liver (Manny's)
    Gefilte fish with regular and beet horseradish (Manny's)
    Pickles
    Matzo
    Haroset
    Hard boiled eggs

3rd course:
    Brussels sprout salad

4th course:
    Brisket (Smoque)
    Stewed chicken with dried fruit and preserved lemon
    Kugel

5th course:
    Eton mess

Dinner was for 9 people, about half of whom had never before attended a Passover seder, but it was a hit with everyone, particularly a 3-year-old guest who got to hunt for the afikomen and Easter eggs, and got a chocolate bunny for finding the afikomen.

It was not an easy or inexpensive dinner, and we have about a week's worth of leftovers, but I think we'll absolutely consider hosting one again next year.
  • Post #189 - April 1st, 2018, 4:25 pm
    Post #189 - April 1st, 2018, 4:25 pm Post #189 - April 1st, 2018, 4:25 pm
    Another Seder in the books. It went very well, and as a cook I was quite happy with my results. We had:
    Hard-boiled eggs
    Aunt Louise's gefilte fish
    Matzo ball soup (made by my brother)
    Navarin of lamb (stew with carrots, snow peas, and pearl onions from Silver Palate)--this came out really well once I cooked it much longer than the recipe called for. I don't know if this was because I more than doubled the quantity or because I had local farmed lamb from Homestead Meats. (Thanks to moetchandon for hooking me up!)
    Roasted asparagus
    Tiny new potatoes
    Hazelnut torte
    Flourless chocolate cake (from my cousin)
    Matzo caramel chocolate crunch

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more