LTH Home

Athens Market

Athens Market
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Athens Market

- June 14th, 2004, 10:04 am
    - June 14th, 2004, 10:04 am Post #1 - June 14th, 2004, 10:04 am
    Antonius wrote:On my most recent visit to the Athens Market a couple of weeks ago, I tried again to get a suggestion for a different retsina and this time my effort met with some success. One of the owners smiled and pulled a lovely shaped bottle off the shelf and, while handing it to me, said: "try this one; it's good."*
    But now I'm wondering: was he just humouring me?
    *The new one is Kechribari, 11.5% alc., from Thessaloniki. As I said, a handsome bottle. I haven't tried it yet and will submit a report after I do.

I think they were humouring me. The Kechribari, despite the elegantly curved bottle, was not to my liking at all. It had a sharp, metallic sort of an edge to it that wasn't merely unappealing unto itself but also interfered with the flavours of the meal. Perhaps it was just an off bottle somehow (though I doubt that) but at more than $5 for 500ml, I'm not sure I will bother trying it again and instead stick to the old, tried and true Boutari. Ah the taste and smell of pine resin... I bet George Brett likes retsina.

(Billy Martin, we miss you still.)

A
    Alle Nerven exzitiert von dem gewürzten Wein -- Anwandlung von Todesahndungen -- Doppeltgänger --
    - aus dem Tagebuch E.T.A. Hoffmanns, 6. Januar 1804.
    ________
    Na sir is na seachain an cath.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more