LTH Home

lobster roll buns

lobster roll buns
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - June 21st, 2018, 8:54 am
    Post #31 - June 21st, 2018, 8:54 am Post #31 - June 21st, 2018, 8:54 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Aldi's today had brioche split top hot dog buns for $2.99 for a package of six.
    Did you buy/try these?

Was getting gas at Costco on Touhy, there is an Aldi a few hundred feet away, I stopped in and spent $2.99. I don't want to sound harsh, but it was the equivilent of Dunkin Donuts bagel, soft gooshy mushy flavorless drek. (Guess that was a bit harsh)

I have not tried the Mariano's or Pepperidge Farm split top buns, but there is no way in gods green earth they could be worse then the Aldi version.

Best I've had in recent months has been the split top bun made for Kimski by The Spoke & Bird Bakehouse and the very best was from Nicole's Divine Crackers, long out of business. Highland Baking does a tasty version but they are commercial only with no retail outlet.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #32 - June 21st, 2018, 8:56 am
    Post #32 - June 21st, 2018, 8:56 am Post #32 - June 21st, 2018, 8:56 am
    Hi,

I have a package sitting on the counter.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #33 - June 21st, 2018, 9:05 am
    Post #33 - June 21st, 2018, 9:05 am Post #33 - June 21st, 2018, 9:05 am
    Cathy2 wrote:I have a package sitting on the counter.

Lucky you!

I didn't simply eat out of hand, I lightly pan toasted in butter and filled with leftover chicken, onion, tomato, mustard and a bit of mayo. Chicken was tasty, even butter toasting could not help the Aldi buns.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #34 - June 21st, 2018, 9:22 am
    Post #34 - June 21st, 2018, 9:22 am Post #34 - June 21st, 2018, 9:22 am
    Hi,

I won't tell my Dad your opinion. He is quite interested in how his bratwurst and hot dogs will work with the new access point.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #35 - June 21st, 2018, 5:38 pm
    Post #35 - June 21st, 2018, 5:38 pm Post #35 - June 21st, 2018, 5:38 pm
    Hi,

As I thought, my Dad liked the split top buns. What he liked most was the buns keeping things together and not falling apart.

I ate half a bun with some pulled pork. Just to make your toes curl: it was pulled pork where the sauce was Boss. For this application, this bun might have been too fancy. A nice piece of Wonder Bread would have worked out fine.

When it comes to hamburger and hot dog buns, I prefer those with some give and a bit of softness. I want it to wrap around my dog when I give it a good squeeze. I don't want a heavy texture.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #36 - June 22nd, 2018, 7:32 am
    Post #36 - June 22nd, 2018, 7:32 am Post #36 - June 22nd, 2018, 7:32 am
    Cathy2 wrote:I want it to wrap around my dog when I give it a good squeeze. I don't want a heavy texture.

I'm a fan of soft yielding buns in certain applications. Martin's Potato Rolls, in particular burgers, Hawaiian Rolls and the ubiquitous steamed Mary Ann poppy seed for natural casing hot dogs. Butternut bread with quality BBQ, sign me up for seconds!

While Aldi brioche split top hot dog buns had soft in abundance they were, to my taste, mushy mealy with an odd note of chemical buttery analog sweetness not unlike the cheapest of pancake syrups.

As opposed to being neutral vehicle Aldi buns were culinary black holes imploding into themselves sucking flavor from all they encountered.

Aldi Brioche split top hot dog buns, Not a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #37 - June 22nd, 2018, 8:05 am
    Post #37 - June 22nd, 2018, 8:05 am Post #37 - June 22nd, 2018, 8:05 am
    I picked up some excellent lobster roll buns at Local Foods recently. I believe they were made by Publican Quality Breads.
  • Post #38 - June 22nd, 2018, 8:10 am
    Post #38 - June 22nd, 2018, 8:10 am Post #38 - June 22nd, 2018, 8:10 am
    G Wiv wrote:As opposed to being neutral vehicle Aldi buns were culinary black holes imploding into themselves sucking flavor from all they encountered.

Aldi Brioche split top hot dog buns, Not a Fan!

Responses like yours, and a few others, remind me of this cartoon:

:lol:
    Cathy2

• Post #39 - June 24th, 2018, 7:39 pm
    Post #39 - June 24th, 2018, 7:39 pm Post #39 - June 24th, 2018, 7:39 pm
    Mariano's split top brioche bun better than Aldi, but the bar was really low. Still a bit bland, though the excellent Mariano's giardiniera brats with sauteed onion perked up the flavor.

Bun1.jpg Mariano's split top brioche bun with giardiniera brat & sauteed onion
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more