LTH Home

North/Northwest Suburbs Farmer's Markets

North/Northwest Suburbs Farmer's Markets
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • North/Northwest Suburbs Farmer's Markets

Post #1 - September 19th, 2008, 12:34 pm
    Post #1 - September 19th, 2008, 12:34 pm Post #1 - September 19th, 2008, 12:34 pm
    Forgive me if there are numerous threads on this matter already (I did a search and couldn't find what I wanted), but...

I was wondering - what farmer's markets do people go to around the North/Northwest suburbs?

When are they open? (Season and days of the week)

Looking for fresh local produce around here instead of the grocery store! Thanks!
    Hillary
    http://chewonthatblog.com <--A Chicago Food Blog!
  • Post #2 - September 19th, 2008, 3:06 pm
    Post #2 - September 19th, 2008, 3:06 pm Post #2 - September 19th, 2008, 3:06 pm
    Hilary,
    Notice you live in Northbrook and sad to say we are probably the only north suburb that doesn't have a farmer's market. However, that doesn't mean there are none nearby. The two I like are Deerfield and Northfield. I think Northfield might be a little larger and Deerfield is closer to where I live. Both of these markets are on Saturday morning don't remember the exact hours. Northfield is across the street from New Trier on Happ road and Deerfield is in the parking lot by the train station on Deerfield Road just west of Waukegan.

If you don't mind not getting fruit just veggies then go to Reds Garden Shop on Dundee in Northbrook. There farm is in some northwest suburb can't remember where. They are also at the Northfield Farmers market. I have frequently stopped in there.

Didier Farm which as both farmers markets is on Aptatisic road in Prairie View. They have great corn and other veggies. In the fall they have a pumpkin patch. They have have two farms one of them is on Aptatistic. They have been there forever and I bought from them 25-30 years ago when all they had was a farm stand and there where no farmers markets.

Sunset Foods also carries some of Didier produce during the summer check with them

Hope this helps.
    Paulette
  • Post #3 - September 19th, 2008, 3:24 pm
    Post #3 - September 19th, 2008, 3:24 pm Post #3 - September 19th, 2008, 3:24 pm
    Mount Prospect's is on Sunday mornings (til 1, I think) at Elmhurst and Northwest Highway, through October. Park a block north at the library/civic center, and you'll probably end up picking up pastries from Central Continental Bakery.

Highlights include a knife sharpener, The Pickle Guy, and a place with multiflavored pasta.
    I haven't tried the Piemontese beef or any of the bakeries, and I have probably bought random produce from each of the vendors.
    There's someone who has wild mushrooms at outrageous prices ($40 and up per pound for chanterelles and porcini), I didn't feel that was a good value.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #4 - September 19th, 2008, 5:47 pm
    Post #4 - September 19th, 2008, 5:47 pm Post #4 - September 19th, 2008, 5:47 pm
    I frequently go to the one on Wednesday mornings in Highland Park (Roger Williams/St. Johns), it's not large but when I can't wait til Saturday I go! I got Mirai sweet corn there this week, it's great.
  • Post #5 - September 22nd, 2008, 4:20 pm
    Post #5 - September 22nd, 2008, 4:20 pm Post #5 - September 22nd, 2008, 4:20 pm
    If you're interested in more exotic vegetables especially, I would recommend the Evanston market. I haven't found a further north suburban market that can match them.
  • Post #6 - September 23rd, 2008, 4:30 am
    Post #6 - September 23rd, 2008, 4:30 am Post #6 - September 23rd, 2008, 4:30 am
    I recently stopped by the Gurnee farmers market - perhaps the only Friday market in the area. It had but 2 fresh food vendors with very limited supply, among a larger group selling crafts and packaged goods.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #7 - September 26th, 2008, 11:45 pm
    Post #7 - September 26th, 2008, 11:45 pm Post #7 - September 26th, 2008, 11:45 pm
    Skokie has a small but decent farmer's market. It's worth mentioning because it's on Sundays, so if for some reason you can't get what you want at another market on Saturday, you don't have to wait till the following weekend.

Also, the Chicago Tribune publishes a comprehensive listing of farmers markets every spring, covering the city and suburbs. You can find this year's version on their website, here.
  • Post #8 - October 2nd, 2008, 4:42 pm
    Post #8 - October 2nd, 2008, 4:42 pm Post #8 - October 2nd, 2008, 4:42 pm
    Thank you everyone for the responses! I actually did find Didier Farms the other day, they're right near my boyfriend's parents' house. I tried their apple cider - it's delicious!

Much appreciated!
    Hillary
    http://chewonthatblog.com <--A Chicago Food Blog!
  • Post #9 - April 11th, 2009, 12:12 pm
    Post #9 - April 11th, 2009, 12:12 pm Post #9 - April 11th, 2009, 12:12 pm
    I'm bumping this thread to ask -- as farmers' markets are soon to open -- about LTH favorites for produce (quality, variety, cost). I am most interested in the north and northwest suburbs, but I'd like to know of exceptional farmers' markets anywhere in the Chicago area. Perhaps it would be simpler to ask, what are your favorite farmers' markets?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #10 - April 11th, 2009, 1:15 pm
    Post #10 - April 11th, 2009, 1:15 pm Post #10 - April 11th, 2009, 1:15 pm
    Most weekends I go to both the Arlington Heights (Saturday) and Mt. Prospect (Sunday) Markets; their produce vendors are different enough to make it worthwhile. Mt. Prospect is a bit more of a circus with people selling non-food items, giving massages etc. As noted upthread, stop in at Central Continental Bakery when you go to Mt. Prospect.
  • Post #11 - July 20th, 2018, 3:31 pm
    Post #11 - July 20th, 2018, 3:31 pm Post #11 - July 20th, 2018, 3:31 pm
    Hi- I was in Peet's in downtown Winnetka yesterday, and I saw a flyer for the Winnetka farmer's market. I then decided to go to Mariano's in Northfield, and I drove down the road that the Northfield farmer's was held, and noticed they are doing construction there, and so it looks like they have relocated to Winnetka on Green Bay and Oak. When I got home, I looked it up, and they had a list of the people selling there on Saturdays. I noticed that Sitka salmon shares sells at the Winnetka market, and that Exact Blade sharpens knives there. It does not seem that as many people sell there as they did in Northfield on Saturdays.

I also noticed while I was driving to Mariano's that Northfield now has a farmer's market on Wednesdays. They also put on concerts while the farmer's market is going on, and have a different restaurant selling food there every week. Has anybody been to the Wednesday market? I tried to find out who is selling at that market but I could not. Hope this helps, Nancy

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more