LTH Home

Vacuum Sealer Bags: All created equal?

Vacuum Sealer Bags: All created equal?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Vacuum Sealer Bags: All created equal?

Post #1 - August 30th, 2006, 1:28 pm
    Post #1 - August 30th, 2006, 1:28 pm Post #1 - August 30th, 2006, 1:28 pm
    Hey all

I found a couple of resources online to find vacuum sealer bags and supplies.

Here's the list from the foodsaver yahoo group:

http://www.davisonsbutcher.com/category.asp?catcode=72
    http://www.machinerunner.com/Packaging- ... hines.html

However I'm looking for a local supplier in Chicago

Anyone know of a cheap supplier for small -> medium quantities of bags and/or rolls?

I don't want to pay full retail for the Foodsaver ones since they're about 2x more than these online places.

Thanks!
  • Post #2 - August 30th, 2006, 2:09 pm
    Post #2 - August 30th, 2006, 2:09 pm Post #2 - August 30th, 2006, 2:09 pm
    trs23 wrote:I don't want to pay full retail for the Foodsaver ones since they're about 2x more than these online places

TRS,

Costco has, or at least had, very good prices on Foodsaver bags. Call first to make sure they have them on hand.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #3 - September 2nd, 2006, 12:15 pm
    Post #3 - September 2nd, 2006, 12:15 pm Post #3 - September 2nd, 2006, 12:15 pm
    I've seen them at Chefs Catalog in Highland Park. Don't know if going to the burbs is an option for you though.
  • Post #4 - August 29th, 2008, 11:29 pm
    Post #4 - August 29th, 2008, 11:29 pm Post #4 - August 29th, 2008, 11:29 pm
    I have a Foodsaver and tend to use the smaller ones much more than the large so the Costco box doesn't help me. I'm completely out of the 8" rolls, so am looking for replacements.

In my first search, I found that there are other brands or materials, such as Vacmesh and Deni, besides the Foodsaver brand. There could be more, too, but I stopped searching thinking that someone here might already know the answers.

Has anyone ever tried these other brands? I was quite intrigued by the pint size bags you could get (quart, too) as this fits how I tend to use it much better. And the cost is almost half of the price I'd pay for the Foodsaver ones. One of these brands, it may have been nameless or the Vacmesh, indicated it's what's used in foodservice or industrial settings.

Any info is highly appreciated.
  • Post #5 - August 29th, 2008, 11:55 pm
    Post #5 - August 29th, 2008, 11:55 pm Post #5 - August 29th, 2008, 11:55 pm
    We picked up some of the ones sold on ebay, mentioned in this thread. Vastly inferior to the foodsaver bags -- they often require 2-3 tries to seal. And now we have 12 rolls of bags that are a pain in the butt to use. Sigh.

So, no, not all bags are created equal, but I have no experience with any of the brands you listed.
    Ed Fisher
    my chicago food photos

RIP LTH.
  • Post #6 - August 30th, 2008, 9:40 am
    Post #6 - August 30th, 2008, 9:40 am Post #6 - August 30th, 2008, 9:40 am
    I've been using vac seal bags from Cabela's for the last couple years. A box of 100 11"x16" pre-cut bags is $50, a little cheaper than Foodsaver brand. They worked just fine with my old Foodsaver machine, and held up better in the sooey sous vide.

The nearest Cabela's is in Hoffman Estates.

www.cabelas.com

Gleam, thanks for the intel on those ebay bags.

grace
  • Post #7 - August 30th, 2008, 12:16 pm
    Post #7 - August 30th, 2008, 12:16 pm Post #7 - August 30th, 2008, 12:16 pm
    I've been using a Foodsaver for several years for my personal chef business. I've tried non-foodsaver bags that I ordered from EBay. Not nearly as good as the Foodsaver brand.

I signed up on the Foodsaver site for their e-mail announcements, and now I stock up on bags when they go on sale, often 25% off, or buy 3 sets, get the fourth free.

http://www.foodsaver.com

I keep a number of 8" and 11" rolls that I use to make bags if I run out of premade bags.

If ordering from EBay, be SURE they are Foodsaver brand. There are MANY knock-offs out there that are poor quality.
  • Post #8 - August 30th, 2008, 12:57 pm
    Post #8 - August 30th, 2008, 12:57 pm Post #8 - August 30th, 2008, 12:57 pm
    Thanks - there's that adage about if it seems too good to be true...

One of these brands offered a guarantee. I may just try it to see after I verify that there IS a real guarantee. Then again, they may tell me there is but not really be one...
  • Post #9 - December 18th, 2018, 9:52 am
    Post #9 - December 18th, 2018, 9:52 am Post #9 - December 18th, 2018, 9:52 am
    Has anyone purchased a vacuum sealer recently and have recommendations to share?
    Seems like there are a lot of models out there, many come and go. I'd love some guidance about which features are important and any brand recommendations.
  • Post #10 - December 18th, 2018, 4:03 pm
    Post #10 - December 18th, 2018, 4:03 pm Post #10 - December 18th, 2018, 4:03 pm
    Darren72 wrote:Has anyone purchased a vacuum sealer recently and have recommendations to share?
    Seems like there are a lot of models out there, many come and go. I'd love some guidance about which features are important and any brand recommendations.

We're on our second FoodSaver (both bought from Costco, IIRC). The older one clamped down with a springy thing, which after a few years just wore out and wouldn't keep a tight seal. The newer one (only about a year old) has a lever on the side which clamps the top of the unit down, much better.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more