LTH Home

Chicago ethnic markets featured in Washington Post

Chicago ethnic markets featured in Washington Post
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Chicago ethnic markets featured in Washington Post

Post #1 - June 4th, 2004, 6:56 am
    Post #1 - June 4th, 2004, 6:56 am Post #1 - June 4th, 2004, 6:56 am
    My mom, aware that Antonius's and my idea of a really fun time is to go to a new grocery store in a neighborhood with few native speakers of English, sent me a clipping from the travel section of last Sunday's Washington Post. Being slightly more internet-savvy than my mom, I will post the URL:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... May28.html

It's an account of going on one of Evelyn Thompson's Ethnic Grocery Tours: this tour hit Rogers Park Fruit Market, Supermercado Morelia, La Unica, BM Bakery, Middle East Bakery & Grocery, Bale French Bakery, and Thai Grocery. The writer gives a short paragraph on each.

Nice to see Chicago associated with something more than hot dogs and pizza!

Amata
  • Post #2 - June 4th, 2004, 9:43 am
    Post #2 - June 4th, 2004, 9:43 am Post #2 - June 4th, 2004, 9:43 am
    As a continuing resource, note that the site http://www.bugmenot.com has a variety of volunteers who register names and passwords at various newspaper sites. When you go there, there's an area where you can type the name of the site you'd like to read, and if a volunteer has created at least one account, you will see that information there. Very handy for newspaper sites where you might simply want to read one article once, or look on a sporadic basis.

Bugmenot acknowledges that their accounts may occasionally be found and deleted, so they have options to give you further accounts if the first one does not work. And needless to say, there are few if any pay sites in their database, since that could potentially make a volunteer financially liable. But I've found it very handy when surfing, and recommend it highly.
  • Post #3 - June 4th, 2004, 4:27 pm
    Post #3 - June 4th, 2004, 4:27 pm Post #3 - June 4th, 2004, 4:27 pm
    Decent article, always nice to see independent grocers getting recognition. However, the writer completely fails to go south of 5000 north - everything mentioned is pretty far up there on the north side. Just something that kind of irked me about the piece, considering how many amazing markets are throughout the rest of the city (and suburbs!).

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more