LTH Home

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland

Rumors about Marianos in Chicagoland
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 14 of 14 
  • Post #391 - October 11th, 2017, 9:18 pm
    Post #391 - October 11th, 2017, 9:18 pm Post #391 - October 11th, 2017, 9:18 pm
    blipsman wrote:After repeated issues with that store (and a couple discussions with the manager by email & phone), I started hitting other Mariano's when near them...

Don't waste your time at the Ukrainian Village store at Chicago and Damen. The worst large chain grocery store I have ever been to. Anyone I know who has shopped there, has shared similar feelings.

It sucks since that is our closest grocery store.
  • Post #392 - October 12th, 2017, 1:39 am
    Post #392 - October 12th, 2017, 1:39 am Post #392 - October 12th, 2017, 1:39 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Drover wrote:The last two times we've gone there they had no green onions

At the risk of sounding like a Mariano's apologist Elston had green onions yesterday as I bought some. The three places I tend to grocery shop, not exclusively but in general, are Fresh Farm's Niles, Mariano's Elston and Viet Hoa on Argyle.

I wish the Fresh Farms was closer -- the Elston Mariano's is already kind of out of our way. That plus a floor plan that seems designed to maximize gridlock makes FF a no-go for us unless we're already in the area for something else.
  • Post #393 - October 16th, 2017, 3:20 pm
    Post #393 - October 16th, 2017, 3:20 pm Post #393 - October 16th, 2017, 3:20 pm
    Made a quick run through of the new Bannockburn Marianos.
    This one has a taco counter. I'll try it eventually.

The Todd's bbq is kind of "cramped." They have everything, however, they had a heated case set up and they were placing containers of weighed and priced brisket/ pork, and turkey into the heated case, for people to grab. The case also had prepacked bbq sandwiches - sliced brisket, pulled pork, some monstrous "bbq brisket cheesesteaks," and "fried chicken?"They were happily slicing the meats to order as well. Just had to get their attention behind the counter, and it took a long time. There was not a lot of space back there at all. Next to the Todd's counter, there was a self serve section for sides AND bbq meats. Looked like the ribs were sauced in the self serve section. I grabbed a pre-packed container of the brisket, but also asked for a fresh sliced 2lb container. The prepackaged one was not good. Obviously under the lamp for too long. I'm a fan of Mariano's brisket for the price. It's pretty consistent, since they have a Southern Pride, set and forget, and they will happily entertain request for fatty or lean (or a mix.) Today's Grand Opening special price on brisket was 9 bux a pound.

Smoked spares and smoked b-backs were 8 dollars a slab. I'm not a fan of their rub for the ribs, but I am a fan of their price, and these are smoked and (yaaaaaay!) unsauced. I bought a slab of each. Never tried their b-backs - I'm a spare guy through and through. For 8 bucks a slab, I'll give them a try for dinner tonight

They have a coupon book which I gather you have to ask for upon checkout. The coupon books had a few interesting freebies for upcoming days.

Sorry to the Marianos dissenters, but this changes the entire landscape of work lunches for me. I LOVE having this option for lunch up this way. I don't think Marianos is the greatest store of all time, but I do like the bbq for the price, and their "all butter" cookies are damn good. Not the regular stupid cookies. The ones that say "all butter" on them. Those are a hit.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more