LTH Home

Southwest Michigan -Woodfire Italian Trattoria

Southwest Michigan -Woodfire Italian Trattoria
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Southwest Michigan -Woodfire Italian Trattoria

Post #1 - December 29th, 2005, 9:03 pm
    Post #1 - December 29th, 2005, 9:03 pm Post #1 - December 29th, 2005, 9:03 pm
    Mary and I went out to the Woodfire Italian Trattoria in Dowagiac, MI for dinner tonight. I wish my photography or Adobe Photoshop Element skills were as good as the food. The pictures don’t do justice to an outstanding meal in such an isolated area. Mary and I shared am 8” Wood Fired Naples thin crust pizza with Italian sausage, pepperoni, and smoked provolone for one appetizer. The crust could have been crispier but the flavor was hearty. The picture was out of focus :x

The other appetizer was Scallops wrapped with Italian Prociutto w/lemon aioli sauce. Great contrast of flavors and textures.

Entrée’s included an Italian Sausage Lasagna for Mary. She said it was the best lasagna she ever had.

I had a ½ order of spaghetti with a sun-dried tomato sauce and meatballs which was very good with 2 large flavorful meatballs. Bad picture again. :cry:

I also ordered Cioppino which was the highlight of dinner. Fresh seafood, cooked in a well seasoned hearty tomato based seafood broth and served with garlic bread.

Garlic Bread

On the way out I took a picture of the wood oven

No room for dessert, none of which stood out for our tastes tonight. Although a couple of them looked interesting to try the next time we visit. I won't order a double entree though. We do have leftovers for tomorrow.

They do have a large wine list, but I'm not a wine enthusiast so I can't provide more information. The trendy Martini Menu is also available. The Knob Creek on the rocks was a large pour and went down well.:D Which is my preference.

Woodfire Italian Trattoria
    134 South Front St.
    P.O. Box 367
    Dowagiac, MI 49047
    Phone:
    (269) 782-0007
    (866)828.7578

Hours of Operation
    Mon-Thurs: 11am-10pm
    Fri and Sat: 11am-11pm
    Sunday: 4pm - 10pm
    Live Jazz Sunday and Wednesday Evenings!
    Piano Friday Nights.
    Last edited by Bruce on December 30th, 2005, 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Bruce
    Plenipotentiary
    bruce@bdbbq.com

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list!!
  • Post #2 - December 30th, 2005, 8:13 am
    Post #2 - December 30th, 2005, 8:13 am Post #2 - December 30th, 2005, 8:13 am
    We have a summer cottage near Dowagiac and have enjoyed Woodfire on a number of occasions. The food and service has always been excellent. They also offer a jazz brunch during the summer.
  • Post #3 - December 30th, 2005, 1:00 pm
    Post #3 - December 30th, 2005, 1:00 pm Post #3 - December 30th, 2005, 1:00 pm
    Bruce wrote:
    The crust could have been crispier but the flavor was hearty.

Bruce, Sounds really good.

Strictly speaking, Neapolitan pizza should not be crispy. If it is crispy, it has been cooked too long, possibly at too low a temp. Crispy crusts also may have olive oil in the dough. In Naples, pies are baked for 60-90 seconds in extremely hot ovens (750+F). The dough comes out on the fluffy rather than crispy side and no olive oil is used in the dough although some kind of oil is often drizzled on top. The fact that the dough was not crispy and had a good flavor is an indication they were doing something right. Very rare to find in this country since most people are unfamiliar with this style. Do you have photos of the pizza?

Happy New Year!

Bill/SFNM
  • Post #4 - December 30th, 2005, 2:03 pm
    Post #4 - December 30th, 2005, 2:03 pm Post #4 - December 30th, 2005, 2:03 pm
    Bill/SFNM wrote:
    Bruce wrote:
    The crust could have been crispier but the flavor was hearty.

Bruce, Sounds really good.

. Do you have photos of the pizza?

Happy New Year!

Bill/SFNM

After reading your comments I'll bet the the crust was dead on. The crust was thin about 3/8" thick. There was some chewiness but not like most commercial pizzas that I normally have to eat. I do plan on going back fairly soon. I really enjoyed the food. The cioppini sounded so good I just had to order it so we didn't go all out on the pizzas. Next time I will order one of each pizza.

The photos did not work out and I deleted them while I was fixing the others. When I added brightness the photo was so blurry and out of focus I deleted it. If I still had the old photo I would send it to you. I'll add a picture of the wood oven to the post.

And a Happy New Year to you Bill.
    Bruce
    Plenipotentiary
    bruce@bdbbq.com

Raw meat should NOT have an ingredients list!!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more