LTH Home

Kankakee BBQ: Don't Bother

Kankakee BBQ: Don't Bother
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Kankakee BBQ: Don't Bother

    Post #1 - October 19th, 2005, 10:37 am
    Post #1 - October 19th, 2005, 10:37 am Post #1 - October 19th, 2005, 10:37 am
    KANKAKEE REPORT

    The fact that it's really BBQ doesn't mean it will be good. I recently took one for the team in a big way by touring the BBQ shacks of Kankakee. (Had to be there for work.)

    Wrightway BBQ is a perfect looking little smokehouse that offers the standard ribs/tips/links/wings setup of the South and West sides. Problem is, the meat is quite obviously boiled first then finished with a light smoke. Not inedible, but no where near most of the Chicago spots. Link was more like a small, hot frankfurter than a Chicago link. It reminded me of what they call in PA and parts of NJ a "Texas Tommy."

    Soul da Soul is a neat place that seems to be a community anchor. Absolutely huge BBQ and fried foods menu. I tried some tips and a chopped pork sandwich. More boiled-first, smoke finished action. Also, no seasoning whatsoever and the smoke was 100% Kingsford briquette. Really not good. I still very much enjoyed the place and the people, and would bet that the fired stuff (chicken, fish, shrimp) is better than the cue.

    Now then, on the way back from KKK, I stopped for a beer at this German Biergarten-cum-roadhouse in Peotone. The place rocks. It's like Resi's or Laschett's-meets-Rt. 66 Biker Bar. It's a few minutes off of I-57, and well worth a stop. Huge garten with a big fireplace. Hackpeter and beer. Don't think too hard about the big German WWII weapon collection above the bar.

    http://www.peotonebierstube.com

    I would also note the mini-chain of KKK hot dog and root beer Drive-ins, Jaenicke’s. Erik turned me on to these places, which seem to be remnants of a lost drive-in empire, not unlike the handful of Frost-Tops around the country, of which the Huntington WV store is deservedly the most famous. The root beer is nice, as are the dogs which include a mystery sauce that is like what they use in WV, coincidentally. Unfortunately, Jaenicke’s is closed for the season. They also offer a huge tenderloin sandwich, like many downstate, IN and IA drive ins. If you have to be in KKK or Bourbonais in the summer months, look them up.
  • Post #2 - June 17th, 2007, 8:35 pm
    Post #2 - June 17th, 2007, 8:35 pm Post #2 - June 17th, 2007, 8:35 pm
    JeffB wrote:KANKAKEE REPORT


    I would also note the mini-chain of KKK hot dog and root beer Drive-ins, Jaenicke’s. Erik turned me on to these places, which seem to be remnants of a lost drive-in empire, not unlike the handful of Frost-Tops around the country, of which the Huntington WV store is deservedly the most famous. The root beer is nice, as are the dogs which include a mystery sauce that is like what they use in WV, coincidentally. Unfortunately, Jaenicke’s is closed for the season. They also offer a huge tenderloin sandwich, like many downstate, IN and IA drive ins. If you have to be in KKK or Bourbonais in the summer months, look them up.


    I was chatting away with the other people at the dog park this morning about their Father's Day plans. One said he was taking his family to Jaenicke's. He waxed rhapsodically about the red hots (which he said they should be called), the top-split buns, the cheese, and the special sauce. Afterwards they were going to the Daily Queen for hot fudge sundaes. He was quite insistent that the one on the river in Kankakee is the best, rather than the ones owned by competing cousins in Bourbonnais and somewhere else. When an out-of-town guest says they'd like to try a Chicago-style hot dot he says no they don't, they want a Jaenicke's cheese dog instead and drags them down there. Vegetarians get a "sauce dog."

    Seems a little extreme to me, but if there's a place for extreme, it's surely LTHforum.

    No personal knowledge here. Just passing it on.

    Oh, and now that I know how to spell it, I hope he won't be disappointed. I see from Jeff B's post last fall that it was for sale.
  • Post #3 - October 17th, 2008, 11:04 am
    Post #3 - October 17th, 2008, 11:04 am Post #3 - October 17th, 2008, 11:04 am
    Contrary to posts on this site, there is edible food in Kankakee! At "Bulls Pit-Smoked BBQ" (125 W. Station St.) I bought a very large Half-Slab of succulent smoked meaty ribs with two sides for $7.49! Baked beans and potato salad are unique. Beans have a nice tang and the taters in the slightly mustardy salad are roasted. Served with fries and the obligatory slice of white bread. Nice dining area overlooks the train tracks for the station up the street. Or, take it to go and eat at what many consider to be the best bar in Kankakee; "Tiny Tap" up the street across from the RR Station. No big screen TV, but lotsa 3-stooges vids ;-
    ep :D
  • Post #4 - October 27th, 2008, 3:13 pm
    Post #4 - October 27th, 2008, 3:13 pm Post #4 - October 27th, 2008, 3:13 pm
    JeffB wrote:.......

    Now then, on the way back from KKK, I stopped for a beer at this German Biergarten-cum-roadhouse in Peotone. The place rocks. It's like Resi's or Laschett's-meets-Rt. 66 Biker Bar. It's a few minutes off of I-57, and well worth a stop. Huge garten with a big fireplace. Hackpeter and beer. Don't think too hard about the big German WWII weapon collection above the bar.

    http://www.peotonebierstube.com

    .......


    Headed down to Carlyle, IL last Friday night, traffic out of the city was what might expect. Tummies were grumbling a bit but we weren't going to stop until we were well out of the city. Driving along I-57, there was no way to resist the siren call of "Bier Stube" on the interstate Food sign for the Peotone exit. We were worried that we might be driving ourselves into a tourist trap, but we decided it would at least be an adventure. I am happy to say that Jeff's recommendation is still a good one. It was a bustling place with lots of character, complete with all sorts of mounted animal heads and female servers in what we called fraulein dresses. Appropriate live "oompah" music was playing in the bar area.

    More importantly, the beer and food were excellent. Three of us split the sausage platter, which consisted of: bratwurst (2 kinds), thüringer, knackwurst, kassler rippchen (smoked pork chop), German fried potatoes, potato dumpling, red cabbage & sauerkraut. There was also a beef item on the plate, but I forget what it was called. It wasn't as good as the sausages. For $39.95, this was a platter of heart-stopping goodness. For good measure, we ordered a side of potato pancakes. They were unnecessary and forgettable.

    I would definitely return to the Peotone Bierstube if I find myself down that way again.
    -Mary
  • Post #5 - October 29th, 2008, 2:32 pm
    Post #5 - October 29th, 2008, 2:32 pm Post #5 - October 29th, 2008, 2:32 pm
    FWIW, Chef Karl at the Peotone Bierstube learned and honed his trade at this father's restaurants: Chef Klaus' Bierstube, Steak and Seafood, and the 2 breakfast places ono at 143rd/Southwest Highway in Orland Park and the other 183rd and 86th Ave in Mokena.

    .
  • Post #6 - July 17th, 2018, 1:44 pm
    Post #6 - July 17th, 2018, 1:44 pm Post #6 - July 17th, 2018, 1:44 pm
    mrbrowncanmoo wrote:FWIW, Chef Karl at the Peotone Bierstube learned and honed his trade at this father's restaurants: Chef Klaus' Bierstube, Steak and Seafood, and the 2 breakfast places ono at 143rd/Southwest Highway in Orland Park and the other 183rd and 86th Ave in Mokena.


    Peotone Bierstube closed in 2014

    I'm going that way this weekend and was really gearing up for this.

    Fortunately, Jaenickes Root Beer Stand is still going strong.

    If there are any suggestions, please advise.

    Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #7 - July 17th, 2018, 3:17 pm
    Post #7 - July 17th, 2018, 3:17 pm Post #7 - July 17th, 2018, 3:17 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    mrbrowncanmoo wrote:FWIW, Chef Karl at the Peotone Bierstube learned and honed his trade at this father's restaurants: Chef Klaus' Bierstube, Steak and Seafood, and the 2 breakfast places ono at 143rd/Southwest Highway in Orland Park and the other 183rd and 86th Ave in Mokena.


    Peotone Bierstube closed in 2014

    I'm going that way this weekend and was really gearing up for this.

    Fortunately, Jaenickes Root Beer Stand is still going strong.

    If there are any suggestions, please advise.

    Regards,
    Cathy2


    Don’t necessarily give up on BBQ. Jimmy Jo’s does a pretty decent job just up the highway in Bourbonnais. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=26803

    P.S. Though quaint, the actual food at Jaenicke’s is not very good. Stick to the root beer and go somewhere else for food.

    Jimmy Jo's
    665 N. Convent
    Bourbonnais
    815-933-7500
    http://www.jimmyjosbbq.com
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more