LTH Home

Johnny's Reef Restaurant - New York Dispatch #1

Johnny's Reef Restaurant - New York Dispatch #1
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Johnny's Reef Restaurant - New York Dispatch #1

Post #1 - September 6th, 2005, 3:20 pm
    Post #1 - September 6th, 2005, 3:20 pm Post #1 - September 6th, 2005, 3:20 pm
    Johnny’s on the Spot – New York City entry #1

Choosing a first meal in a great culinary metropolis is no easy task. Of course, one might simply begin eating, and let things work themselves out. But if one wished to be more deliberative should one choose Per Se, Rao’s, Four Seasons, Second Avenue Deli, or JoJo (just down the block from my apartment, and, thus, my personal neighborhood bistro)? All would have been worthy choices. Yet, I selected another restaurant entirely, a restaurant that would demonstrate my commitment to “eating the boroughs.”

I selected Johnny’s Reef Restaurant at the tip of City Island – a little goiter sticking out into Long Island Sound from Pelham Park. City Island was originally New York’s shipbuilding center, but that industry, and the Scandinavians who worked in those boatyards have long departed, leaving a string of yacht clubs and seafood restaurants (many Italian). Admittedly my choice was encouraged by the absolutely splendid weather on Labor Day weekend – weather that I found calming, but a New York friend of mine explained made her anxious: 9/11 was such a day. Not only madeleines but climate can take us back.

Johnny’s is an unprepossessing restaurant that reminds New Yorkers of Nathans, with stations where one picks up and pays for different courses: a raw bar, fried fish, drinks, desserts, etc. I selected a half dozen Littleneck Clams, Shrimp Cocktail, Soft-Shell Crabs with Fries, and Johnny’s Sea Breeze, and took my tray out to one of the hundreds of metal tables set up on a concrete slab by the Sound.

I confess that the experience was superior to the food: not just nature’s handiwork, but the congregation of New Yorkers. Perhaps if New York becomes touched by hurricane winds, the cross-ethnic harmonies would not sound so sweet, but today the Gods were on our side.

As a culinary event, the crabs were the highpoint. Half-a-dozen soft-shells, properly cooked and battered for $11.00 with well-made fries. The clams ($5.00) were fresh, if not notably tender, but the juices were sea-salty. The shrimp ($8.00) were edging toward rubbery, but they could be smothered in Cocktail Sauce. Jimmy’s Sea Breeze ($4.00) was cold and otherwise what one might expect at that price.

Yet, one can be too critical of a restaurant that is designed to be a people-processor, and a happy one at that. My forty-five minutes by the Sound made the start of my New York year a moment that will only be rarely matched.

Johnny’s Reef Restaurant
    2 City Island Avenue
    City Island, Bronx, New York
    718-885-2086
    (open March through November, closed Friday – what kind of seafood restaurant would close on Friday?)
  • Post #2 - September 6th, 2005, 3:28 pm
    Post #2 - September 6th, 2005, 3:28 pm Post #2 - September 6th, 2005, 3:28 pm
    This is just the kinda place that appeals to me. Keep the reports coming!

Now, you mentioned Rao's. I assume that's tongue in check, but if you do ever get an in, I'm anxious to hear (or race off to join).

Rob
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #3 - September 6th, 2005, 3:30 pm
    Post #3 - September 6th, 2005, 3:30 pm Post #3 - September 6th, 2005, 3:30 pm
    I'll get in to Rao's, and if you come to NYC, I'll get you in, too!
  • Post #4 - September 6th, 2005, 4:07 pm
    Post #4 - September 6th, 2005, 4:07 pm Post #4 - September 6th, 2005, 4:07 pm
    GAF wrote:I'll get in to Rao's, and if you come to NYC, I'll get you in, too!

Give me a date.
    Think Yiddish, Dress British - Advice of Evil Ronnie to me.
  • Post #5 - September 6th, 2005, 4:16 pm
    Post #5 - September 6th, 2005, 4:16 pm Post #5 - September 6th, 2005, 4:16 pm
    Buy their sauce in a jar or make recipes from their cookbook. The secret of Rao's is hardly a secret anymore.
  • Post #6 - September 6th, 2005, 4:51 pm
    Post #6 - September 6th, 2005, 4:51 pm Post #6 - September 6th, 2005, 4:51 pm
    GAF wrote:I'll get in to Rao's, and if you come to NYC, I'll get you in, too!

Gary, it appears you must have access ... to THIS WEBSITE!
  • Post #7 - September 7th, 2005, 8:08 am
    Post #7 - September 7th, 2005, 8:08 am Post #7 - September 7th, 2005, 8:08 am
    I suppose that I shouldn't have mentioned Rao's so flippantly (although my father once went there). Jim, thanks for the website. I'll see what (if anything) will happen, although my confidence has been sapped!

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more