LTH Home

Assmannshausen Supper?

Assmannshausen Supper?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Assmannshausen Supper?

Post #1 - September 6th, 2005, 12:18 pm
    Post #1 - September 6th, 2005, 12:18 pm Post #1 - September 6th, 2005, 12:18 pm
    My company recently earned a 5-day trip to Germany to tour some vineyards, and, lucky me :D , I was selected to go. Never having been to Germany, I am very excited about this trip. I leave the last week of September. Last week I received a detailed itinery and noticed that the last night will be spent at the August Kesseler winery touring the property, tasting their wines and having a typical supper "Assmannshausen-style." A quick Google search led me to Assmannshausen wines, but nothing on food. I'm hoping that a German-savy LTH'er can help me out by letting me know what I might expect. Thanks in advance.
  • Post #2 - September 12th, 2005, 5:29 pm
    Post #2 - September 12th, 2005, 5:29 pm Post #2 - September 12th, 2005, 5:29 pm
    The two most famous (and justifiably so) eating establishments in Assmannshausen are the Restaurant Hotel Krone, and the Kloster Eberbach. Both serve typical fare.

http://www.hotel-krone.com/eng/

http://www.klostereberbach.de/html_english/

The snails at the Kloster are picked fresh from the grounds. An interesting feature... !!

What a lovely place, Assmannshausen! and the reds are light, fruity, and quaffable. Pinot noir as beaujolais.

Enjoy--and report back!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #3 - September 13th, 2005, 8:29 am
    Post #3 - September 13th, 2005, 8:29 am Post #3 - September 13th, 2005, 8:29 am
    Thanks for the info and links! I was very happy to see the presence of so much seafood and fish as I do not eat red meat or poultry. Bring on the snails! In my ignorance of the area, I was thinking that I might be living on power bars, beer & wine. :) Our first night in Germany will be spent on a dinner cruise along the Rhein from Ruedesheim to Koblenz on, reportedly, the last existing paddlesteamer built in 1913. The second night will be a "typical Mosel bar-b-que" at the Geschwister Simon winery. A tour of their vineyards via tractor has been promised. I'll be keeping some notes on food and taking lots of pictures so I will definately report back.
  • Post #4 - September 13th, 2005, 8:50 am
    Post #4 - September 13th, 2005, 8:50 am Post #4 - September 13th, 2005, 8:50 am
    Yes, the fish there is great! I had my very first Forelle Blau ('blue trout') at Kloster Eberbach. Yum!

We'll be awaiting your report!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #5 - September 14th, 2005, 9:28 pm
    Post #5 - September 14th, 2005, 9:28 pm Post #5 - September 14th, 2005, 9:28 pm
    BTW, one thing I forgot: eel is somewhat of a speciality there, in the 'knee of the Rhine'. You can get it both as a main course, and as a clear soup. The soup is fabuluous: some nice vegetables, lovely broth, and a few bits of the eel itself. It is customary to have a glass of freezing-cold schnapps with the soup. Yumm. :)

Geo
  • Post #6 - October 3rd, 2005, 2:45 pm
    Post #6 - October 3rd, 2005, 2:45 pm Post #6 - October 3rd, 2005, 2:45 pm
    I returned from Germany yesterday - what an amazing trip! I think I will start a separate thread on German wine country - particularly the Rhein and Mosel valleys for anyone interested. This was a well planned trip and I can highly recommend the wineries we toured and the places we stayed.
    Anyway, I wound up having a very a-typical Assmannshausen supper. We arrived at the August Kesseler winery around 4 p.m. and were greeted by Mrs. Kesseler. Her husband was promoting his wines in Miami, FL. She was a warm and gracious host, however, her English is limited. Their winemaker, Max, is fluent, so he gave us the tour of the cellars which date from the 1700's. We came up from the cellars through a thick, carved wooden door into a very modern, white-walled tasting room. On the walls hung artwork done by a young Polish man that lives with them. Two large dark wood tables had been pushed together for us and set beautifully. Candles were lit everywhere and on the stereo - Frank Sinatra! (Apparently, Mr. Kesseler is a fan.) Over the course of the dinner we tasted about 10 wines, both pinot noirs and rieslings. The meal began with a soup ( as most meals we had did,) this one a clear broth with 3 small dumplings. The entree was Sauerbraten, served with red cabbage and 2 large potato dumplings. I do not know if this is typically served in Assmannhausen, or if it is just a specialty of Mrs. Kesseler. Unfortunately, she was not told ahead of time of my vegetarian status. When she found out, the Sauerbraten was whisked away and she returned in about 5 min. with one of the most lovely and flavorful Caprese salads I've ever had. Ripe plum tomatoes, alternating with a creamy fresh mozzarella, torn fresh basil, lots of freshly ground pepper - all drizzled with a wonderfully aromatic and fruity extra-virgin olive oil. This was served with a warm and crusty hard roll. I was stunned and very grateful as I hate to make my dining companions uncomfortable by not eating. As I was finishing my salad, and fully satisfied, out comes a basket of a different type of warm, sliced bread and a small plate with a whole, square, fresh cheese on it! I'm not sure what it was, but it was very young and had a rind similar to a brie but much thinner. The cheese itself was creamy and mild. This I sliced and shared with the whole group ( there were 16 of us.) It was perfect with the last of the reserve pinot noir. From there we went on to taste the Rieslings and finished with some fantastic Auslese. No dessert at this stop, but it really wasn't necessary with the fruity Auslese finish. So, while my meal was not typical of the region, the hospitality certainly was. :D

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more