LTH Home

Club Grotto Louisville

Club Grotto Louisville
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Club Grotto Louisville

Post #1 - August 24th, 2005, 6:17 pm
    Post #1 - August 24th, 2005, 6:17 pm Post #1 - August 24th, 2005, 6:17 pm
    I just returned from a short trip to Louisville and tried a restaurant there that was previously unknown to me called Club Grotto. It was started about 13 years ago by a young chef who died a few years later. His parents took over management and hired one of their son’s assistants as chef. The new chef (whose name happens to be New) has gradually retired some of the original dishes and added his own.

My companion had the house salad, which includes mango, artichoke, chick peas and roasted red peppers. I had the Caesar, which was good except the romaine was a little bitter. One nice touch was the single anchovy filet on top.

My entrée was one of the specials, a 12 oz. grilled veal chop with smashed potatoes, sautéed mushrooms, grilled haricot verte and grilled tomato slices. The chop was cooked perfectly and enjoyed thoroughly. Everything was very flavorful, although to my taste the vegetables were slightly over-seasoned.

My dining companion had a regular menu item, the Teriyaki-glazed salmon with sautéed red onions and sugared pecans on a bed of creamy grits. The highlight here was the grits. “Creamed” rather than “creamy” might have been a better description. They were virtually the same consistency as my potatoes and used the same way, as a base for the fish and sop for the sauce.

The presentation is formal without being too fussy. Service was very good except that the fine art of providing thorough and attentive service inconspicuously has not been fully developed.

We had a surprisingly excellent Willamette Valley Pinot Noir that was also a good value. The winery is Elk Cove and we found it at Liquor Barn the next day for $19.99.

Overall, great place and a great experience. Highly recommended if you are down that way.

I'm also happy to report that Cunningham's, burned out of its original location after 131 years, has settled into new digs with few changes to either the menu or atmosphere. The fried fish sandwich is the main attraction. Also turtle soup.

Club Grotto
    2116 Bardstown Road
    Louisville, KY
    502-459-5275

Cunningham's Restaurant
    630 S 4th St
    Louisville, KY
    502-587-0526
  • Post #2 - August 29th, 2005, 7:44 pm
    Post #2 - August 29th, 2005, 7:44 pm Post #2 - August 29th, 2005, 7:44 pm
    Cowdery--

Nice to read your report-- I get by that part of Bardstown Rd (a friend lives on Alta) at least once a year. Next year I'll push to go visit Club Grotto.

Liquor Barn is a hoot, but I might mention that there's an *excellent* wine store at the corner of Sherwood and Bardstown. It's a wonderful place to find exceptional wines at surprizing prices. Their buyer is a wonder.

Two other places--probably you know both--is the Serbian hole-in-the-wall on the north side of the Road at Bonnycastle; and Za's pizza, which ain't at all bad, on the north side near Alta.

I think that stretch of the Road is one of the most increasingly exciting entertainment districts in the whole country. Keep us posted as you get around there.

Geo

Old Town Liquors
    1529 Bardstown Road
    Louisville, KY
    502-451-8591
    www.OldTownWine.com

Za's Pizza Pub
    1573 Bardstown Road
    (502) 454-4544
    Web: www.zaspizza.com
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #3 - August 29th, 2005, 11:28 pm
    Post #3 - August 29th, 2005, 11:28 pm Post #3 - August 29th, 2005, 11:28 pm
    Thanks. I had it in my mind to hit some of my old haunts on this trip (I lived there 20 years ago) but my traveling companion convinced me to try Club Grotto. I was not disappointed.

I second the endorsement of Old Town. If you like the big warehouse store thing, do Liquor Barn. If you want personal attention from nice people who really know their stuff, do Old Town and, you're right, Old Town has the further advantage of being in a really cool neighborhood. Old Town makes it a point to stock every bourbon that is available in Kentucky which is, like, all of them.

Another highlight of that neighborhood: one of the world's greatest music stores.

Ear X-tacy
    1534 Bardstown Rd
    Louisville, KY 40205
    (502) 452-1799

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide