LTH Home

Tastes of Florida

Tastes of Florida
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Tastes of Florida

Post #1 - January 19th, 2019, 6:43 am
    Post #1 - January 19th, 2019, 6:43 am Post #1 - January 19th, 2019, 6:43 am
    As with anyplace, there are indigenous dishes that demand attention. So, for a quickie business trip, there were some Florida snapshots that needed to be taken. Some were new, some a taste of the past, all memorable.

At the longstanding Sea Horse on Pass-a-Grille Beach south of the famed Don CeSar hotel on St. Pete Beach, there was this, a breakfast dish that I never had a desire to try before, and it was special--a damn good start to the day.
    FL1.jpg Cajun Shrimp & Cheese Grits With Bacon

South of Alligator Alley & the Tamiami Trail, down in swampy Everglades City at the rustic Island Cafe, I just knew I'd have to get me some o'these. 'Just like chicken'? Naw, better. Much better.
    FL2.jpg Fried Frog Legs

Back in the day, an associate turned me onto Grimm's Stone Crab, a battered nondescript building down a dirt road, past the airboat ride hawkers, right on the water. You had to know where it was. He said, 'come visit me in Miami, but stop & get some stones on the way. I'll crack 'em myself & also will make the mustard sauce.' Hadn't done this in at least 10 years, but damn, they still can deliver.
    FL3.jpg Large Cracked Stone Crab Claws

I've been pretty much obsessed with Cuban sandwiches since my wife & I viewed a great foodie movie, 2014's 'Chef' starring Jon Favreau. And we knew we'd have to get down to the Versailles Restaurant in Miami's Calle Ocho (Little Havana), featured in the movie, and experience what Favreau's character was orgasmic about. This rendition of the Cubano was perfect in every way--balance of bread, ham, roast pork, cheese, pickle, mustard. The adjacent bakery is pretty good too. Wonderful place.
    FL4.jpg Versailles Restaurant in Miami's Little Havana

FL5.jpg Cuban Sandwich

FL6.jpg Cuban Coffee

Sea Horse
    800 Pass-a-Grille Way
    Pass-a-Grille Beach, FL
    (727) 360-1734

Island Cafe
    305 Collier Ave.
    Everglades City, FL
    (239) 695-0003

Grimm's Stone Crab