LTH Home

Rome and Sorrento 2017

Rome and Sorrento 2017
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Rome and Sorrento 2017

Post #1 - March 8th, 2017, 10:35 am
    Post #1 - March 8th, 2017, 10:35 am Post #1 - March 8th, 2017, 10:35 am
    IMG_1409.JPG Spaghetti alla Carbonara

I'll add more when I get back tomorrow, but thought I'd whet a few appetites as a 'san bitters' aperitif.

This was the spaghetti alla Carbonara at Emma Pizzeria not far off Rome's Campo de' Fiori, first night on the ground. Guanciale slightly charred and chewy, pasta stiff, combo of egg, pepper and Pecorino Romano were combined into a silky sauce that was indescribable.

The Roscioli empire owns Emma, their signature bakery Forno, and also a killer salumeria, all within walking distance of our apartment.

More to come, as Johnny Carson used to say...
  • Post #2 - March 8th, 2017, 10:58 am
    Post #2 - March 8th, 2017, 10:58 am Post #2 - March 8th, 2017, 10:58 am
    OK, another--

With our local friends Nino and Hilary, we took a day trip out of Roma Termini train station 90 minutes away to the hill town of Orvieto in the central Italy province of Umbria.

Besides the fabulous cathedral, we lunched at a backstreet, unnamed, no menu, two-table cafe, where we shared our table with the owner's pet dog.

And we dined on homemade chitarra pasta with cinghiale (wild boar). No tomato, just a little carrot and celery in the rich ragu. Like the best stroganoff on Earth.

IMG_1579.JPG Chitarra e cinghiale
    Last edited by jnm123 on April 17th, 2017, 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #3 - March 8th, 2017, 11:54 am
    Post #3 - March 8th, 2017, 11:54 am Post #3 - March 8th, 2017, 11:54 am
    jnm123 wrote:OK, another--

With our local friends Nino and Hilary, we took a day trip out of Roma Termini train station 90 minutes away to the hill town of Orvieto in central Italy.

Besides the fabulous cathedral, we lunched at a backstreet, unnamed, no menu, two-table cafe, where we shared our table with the owner's pet dog.

And we dined on homemade chitarra pasta with cinghiale (wild boar). No tomato, just a little carrot and celery in the rich ragu. Like the best stroganoff on Earth.

IMG_1579.JPG

Awesome pictures! Thanks so much for sharing :D I have been thinking about picking up a chitarra cutter and this is making me think that is a very god idea!
    “There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread.”
    ― Mahatma Gandhi
  • Post #4 - March 9th, 2017, 9:14 am
    Post #4 - March 9th, 2017, 9:14 am Post #4 - March 9th, 2017, 9:14 am
    We're heading to Rome with a side trip to Napoli/Pompei at the end of the month, and these places are going on the list.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #5 - March 10th, 2017, 12:10 pm
    Post #5 - March 10th, 2017, 12:10 pm Post #5 - March 10th, 2017, 12:10 pm
    Probably should write a bit about a quick ride to Positano one day. It being early March, I didn't expect much to be open, but it was only a 45 minute SITA bus ride from Sorrento station, so whatthehell. Sometimes those WTH's turn out pretty good...

...except when I directed us to get off the bus two stops too early. People kept ringing the bell, so we followed suit, got off with the rest of the sheep, and...nothing. Just the winding cliff road, with no idea how far to the correct stop. So we started walking. A slightly downhill grade helped, so did the weather, which was clearing and about 60. Pleasant enough, and views were simply unmatched.
    FullSizeRender (1).jpg A View On A Walk

Finally, after nearly a mile, we found the correct stop. OK, at least this is where we ride back. And ahead there was more downhill, steeper and longer, to Positano-town and the beach. I told my wife that while she waited I'd do some reconnaissance about a quarter mile down, which I did, with absolutely nothing being open, or any signs of humans. So I trudged back up to the stop, and there was a tiny cafe, Li Galli, literally forged into the mountainside, mere steps from the bus stop. So this was lunch, for better or worser.
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg Li Galli Cafe, Positano

FullSizeRender (3).jpg Antipasto for One - A Nice Medley

Clockwise from 10-o-clock: Melanzane fritter, potato croquette, toastetta, prosciutto, sopressata, salami, speck, provolone, homemade jam, red pepper Pecorino, mortadella, spaghetti/egg frittata wedges, pizza bread. And this was for ONE.

FullSizeRender (4).jpg Panino 'Hamburger'

This sandwich was unexpectedly solid, and with the tomato, lettuce, onion, mayo and ketchup mix, it tasted like how a great Whopper must have been 50 years ago, only better. Loved this.

FullSizeRender (5).jpg Top-Notch Calamari Fritti

Calamari is king on the peninsula. Over the course of 5 nights, we had it fried, grilled, sauteed and in red sauce. This was the freshest and the best.

FullSizeRender (6).jpg Dining View, and Proof Of Still Being Alive

Motto of this escapade is if you do something headslappingly stupid, the only thing that can rescue you is unexpectedly good food.

Li Galli Bar Bistro
    Via Cristofaro Colombo, 207
    84017 Positano SA, Italy
    +39 339 617 3968

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide