LTH Home

Bagelmen's Is Dead!

Bagelmen's Is Dead!
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Bagelmen's Is Dead!

Post #1 - June 21st, 2005, 9:31 am
    Post #1 - June 21st, 2005, 9:31 am Post #1 - June 21st, 2005, 9:31 am
    Closed. Shuttered. Kaput. Which means that Champaign students are now forced to eat what my son calls goy-bels. Apparently the chain was sold to new owners who proceeded to white bread the NY-style recipe and then close altogether. Not sure what's up with the Bloomington location. My son's in-laws live in Champaign, and he's now delivering bagels every time he makes the trip south.
    >>Brent
    "Yankee bean soup, cole slaw and tuna surprise."
  • Post #2 - June 21st, 2005, 9:38 am
    Post #2 - June 21st, 2005, 9:38 am Post #2 - June 21st, 2005, 9:38 am
    Hi,

While researching Bloomington's offerings, I learned Bagelmans experienced the same radical change in methods. If Champaign is dead, then I would presume the same for Bloomington ... but I will check soon.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - June 27th, 2005, 10:38 am
    Post #3 - June 27th, 2005, 10:38 am Post #3 - June 27th, 2005, 10:38 am
    such sad news!! it was always on my "cruise by" whenever i got back down to champaign (which is now getting to be a few years since my last visit!? the horrors).

i honestly lived on bagelman's bagels for years. the spinach cream cheese still stands as one of my favorite spreads EVER. that, topped on a poppy seed bagel, wow, sustained me for quite awhile.

when the location on green street closed, i'd still cruise out by the one near custard cup in champaign.

oh well, still lots of old faves worth visiting: courier cafe, sweet betsy's, strawberry fields, brunch @ radio maria; just to name a few...

thanks for the memories,
    miss ellen
  • Post #4 - August 19th, 2005, 11:52 am
    Post #4 - August 19th, 2005, 11:52 am Post #4 - August 19th, 2005, 11:52 am
    Hi,

I was in Bloomington where a Bagelman's store is operating. I learned the Champaign location was sold to a new owner, so rather they are Denny's rather than Bagelman's.

The Bloomington and Normal locations all retain the Bagelman's name, yet they are owned by the same Denny's. This explains the change in recipes, though the server claims the menu stayed the same.

From her description, you should expect to go to the old Bagelman locations in Champaign-Urbana to find them in operation and making bagels. Now it would be up to you to advise whether these are as good as you knew them to be. I have heard of disappointments but then again I never knew them at their prime.

Bagelmen's Inc
    401 West Kirby Avenue
    Champaign, IL 61820
    217-351-8156

Bagelmen's Inc
    2906 Valley Brook Drive
    Champaign, IL 61822
    217-366-0019

Bagelmen's Restaurant
    1503 East Vernon Av
    Bloomington, IL 61701
    309-663-8200

Bagelmen's
    503 South Main Street
    Normal, IL 61761
    309-454-1005
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more