LTH Home

Signs, Omens and Ribs: Wichita trip (lotsa pics)

Signs, Omens and Ribs: Wichita trip (lotsa pics)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Signs, Omens and Ribs: Wichita trip (lotsa pics)

- April 18th, 2008, 1:07 pm
    - April 18th, 2008, 1:07 pm Post #1 - April 18th, 2008, 1:07 pm
    ok so I'm late to the party. I found this site while looking for something else and really liked the OP. I figured I'd add some 2008 info.

R&S BBQ is back under new owership and supposedly with all the original recipes....but.....to me I'd rather eat at a national chain like Colters (ok, that hurt actually typing that out) than soil my memories of R&S over on 13th. The new one is beside Kellogg in Downtown between Broadway and Market, north side. I'd say pass and move on, its not worth it.

For me, my BBQ fix gets scratched with Jet BBQ (1 block east of 3rd and Washinton, Old Firestation #3), the Jetman will fix you up right and at a price that wont break the bank (most meat by the pound less than 9 bucks), I perfer his ribs and brisket as both have a great bark and the smokyness I perfer. For pulled pork and a good sit down and the BEST onion rings in town...its Delano BBQ, on Douglass just west of the traffic circle (south of Seneca). Prices there are also not too bad. Both places you wont leave hungry....thats for sure.

If you perfer mass quanity...B&C creations is a hot spot, It's been a while but they are serving Q part of the week and its buffet style IIRC, oh and feel free to peruse the attached antique store for your furniture needs. There is a whole story about a husband and wife who started a antique store (well she did) and the husband started cooking for the delivery guys and then started competing on the "Q" circuit and then started serving over lunch...then they divorced, he moved is BBQ stand and now they are back in the same building....or something like that....anyway its a big hit with the Boeing/Spirt crowd.

Chain wise we have a Red Hot and Blue and a Famous Daves but frankly I have never been to them, why go for all the shiny when there are good small joints with paper napkins?

Pig in Pig Out moved way up on 13th and Washington and is tough to get to from downtown on a lunch break...so i have not been there in a few years. They won a couple of state titles and moved and got expensive.

If your down Derby way, there is a Rib Crib that while not great Q, it fills a gaping hole in the Derby eats scene, and dang it they have fried okra on the menu....as a Texan, BBQ is missing something without okra around someplace.

Oh and if your out here in flyover country, and dieing for a Chi-dog, the lady with the hotdog stand in front of Lowes west, has a Chicago style that reminded me of the ones I had in my 1 trip to Chicago....lol

Hope that helps.....and come on down anytime

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more