LTH Home

Need great food, beer and/or wine Saugatuck/Grand Rapids

Need great food, beer and/or wine Saugatuck/Grand Rapids
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Need great food, beer and/or wine Saugatuck/Grand Rapids

Post #1 - August 29th, 2013, 1:22 pm
    Post #1 - August 29th, 2013, 1:22 pm Post #1 - August 29th, 2013, 1:22 pm
    Looking for great flavors and down to earth atmosphere for food, beer, wine near Saugatuck/Douglas and up to Grand Rapids. Not looking for high end, just comfortable, relaxed places with awesome food, beer and/or wine. Outside seating would be a great option. Thanks!
  • Post #2 - August 29th, 2013, 3:37 pm
    Post #2 - August 29th, 2013, 3:37 pm Post #2 - August 29th, 2013, 3:37 pm
    You can't go wrong with the beer at New Holland Brewing. The food there is pretty good, but no spectacular (based on two visits).

Friends who live in the area swear by Salt of the Earth in Fennville for nice dinners out.
  • Post #3 - August 29th, 2013, 3:58 pm
    Post #3 - August 29th, 2013, 3:58 pm Post #3 - August 29th, 2013, 3:58 pm
    Here are a couple of existing threads that may have some good fits/recommendations:

Western Michigan Recs

[South]West Michigan--that other side o' the lake--looong
  • Post #4 - August 29th, 2013, 7:38 pm
    Post #4 - August 29th, 2013, 7:38 pm Post #4 - August 29th, 2013, 7:38 pm
    My husband and I have always enjoyed our meals at Everyday People Cafe in Douglas. Good wine and tasty diverse menu.
  • Post #5 - September 2nd, 2013, 10:23 pm
    Post #5 - September 2nd, 2013, 10:23 pm Post #5 - September 2nd, 2013, 10:23 pm
    I live in Saugatuck in the summers (just returned to the city as a matter o fact). I have yet to post this summer's recap of dining out in the area, but here is a direct link to last year's experiences in the Western Michigan thread. The good news is that I have quite a bit to add to the list, there's been some new openings and improvements that have made eating out in the area much more enjoyable.

The new:
    Matt Balmer, co-owner of Everyday People (still not my favorite, though do enjoy the back patio setting with middle of the road cocktails and apps) opened a laid back, summery outdoor eatery called Lucy's Little Kitchen. They offer freshly squeezed sugar cane- based juices and of the three things I've eaten there, everything was good and one excellent– the fish sandwich. No booze, lunch only.
    505 Water St. Saugatuck
    (269) 857-2053

Also on the extremely casual side is Odie Dogs, a new food truck in downtown Douglas. They offer a good mayo-based, generously portioned lobster roll (which are really trending in the area right now). Their Chicago dog is good too, a locally made natural casing pork/beef dog with sports and neon relish imported up from the city.
    At Beery Field, downtown Douglas

Okay, more casual, in fact no seating, take out stuff: celebrated local caterer, Chris Ferris' new Farmhouse Deli just opened and puts out very fine cold and hot deli sandwiches with a nicely curated to-go deli counter of pre-made salads and fine (mostly) local charcuterie and cheeses. Take this stuff to Oval Beach around the corner.
    100 Blue Star Highway Douglas
    (269) 455-5274

The improved:
    I always liked the food at Salt of the Earth well enough but had enough service issues (common to the area) that I wrote it off. They've tightened the FOH up considerably and fortunatley the food has gone up a notch as well. Steaks and the burger are foolproof.
    114 E Main St Fennville
    (269) 561-7258

Saugatuck Brewing has one of the more creative (at times overly creative) bar food menus and the beer has gotten better too.
    2948 Blue Star Hwy Douglas
    (269) 857-7222

Elsewhere:
    Can't say I recommend much in Holland these days.

I always like and have friends that continue to rave about Little Africa for Ethiopian though I haven't been in a few years.
    956 Fulton St E, Grand Rapids
    (616) 222-1169

My native GR friends all love Marie Catrib's, though I've only been once and felt it had a health food store vibe.
    1001 Lake Dr SE Grand Rapids
    (616) 454-4020

Full summer recap coming soon in the Western MI Recs thread!
  • Post #6 - July 5th, 2016, 6:40 am
    Post #6 - July 5th, 2016, 6:40 am Post #6 - July 5th, 2016, 6:40 am
    Just returned from a trip to Saugatuck, and can heartily recommend two spots. Just off the main drag on Holland St, The Southerner serves up respectable fried chicken (including a hot chicken sandwich on a biscuit) and bourbon cocktails. Borrowed Time is right in the middle of town, with an excellent wine list and small plates in a casual outdoor setting. BT was our favorite stop of the weekend.

The Southerner
    880 Holland St
    Saugatuck, MI

Borrowed Time
    329 Water St
    Saugatuck, MI
    http://www.borrowedtimesaugatuck.com
  • Post #7 - July 5th, 2016, 7:50 am
    Post #7 - July 5th, 2016, 7:50 am Post #7 - July 5th, 2016, 7:50 am
    Been meaning to add on here as well. Highlights from our trip to Douglas/Saugutuck last month were, in no particular order:

A) coffee at Uncommon Ground which has been around for ages (over 20 years) but IMO, is as good as any of the hipster spots here at home. Good pastry game too.

B) J. Paul's at The Kirby Hotel--opened about two years ago, we had a very respectable meal--"seasonal" menu though more in theme than actuality. Food was good for the area (I don't happen to think the nicer restaurants in Saugatuck/Douglas are all that great) and a pretty ambitious wine list. Definitely worth a return visit.

C) Everyday People--we actually ate here twice, since we were staying 2 blocks away and got lazy one night so decided just to take out from there. The other night we ate at the restaurant. Preferred the takeout night--we sat in the back room when we ate in and not crazy about the space. Food is fine--nothing to rave over but solid and reasonably priced.

Now that I'm looking over this, I think it actually IS in order of preference :).
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #8 - January 18th, 2017, 2:29 pm
    Post #8 - January 18th, 2017, 2:29 pm Post #8 - January 18th, 2017, 2:29 pm
    I've had the good fortune of making many visits to both Saugatuck and Grand Rapids. Bowdie's Chop House is one of my favorite places in the Saugatuck area and I've never had a bad meal there. Another gem for foodies is the Wickwood Inn. It's a bed and breakfast run by the author of the Silver Palate Cookbook. If you get a chance to stay a couple of nights in Saugatuck, you'd do yourself a favor staying there and starting your day with their breakfasts!

I would also second the recommendation for Salt of the Earth in Fennville. My boyfriend and I like to swing by Fenn Valley Winery for some surprisingly tasty wine and head to dinner at Salt of the Earth. The last time I was there I was on a vegetarian kick and got a creamy mushroom pasta dish that blew my mind.

I have family in Grand Rapids and there are a ton of great new places opening up around there. A hidden gem is Brewery Vivant. It's in a cute little neighborhood, has some really unique beer and amazing bar food like duck confit nachos (yes, that's a thing). Another fabulous restaurant is north of town, Amore Trattoria. The space is a little funky, but the food is fabulous.
  • Post #9 - August 14th, 2017, 11:40 am
    Post #9 - August 14th, 2017, 11:40 am Post #9 - August 14th, 2017, 11:40 am
    Just back from a weekend in Saugatuck (built around the Outstanding in the Field dinner at Seedlings Farms with chef Matthias Merges -- terrific) and can heartily endorse the recommendation for The Southerner. Best Shrimp & Grits I've had in a very long time, as well as surprisingly good Cabbage Slaw made with boiled dressing.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'd go out of my way to avoid dinner at Black Walnut. Food varied from bad (crab cakes) to forgettable (halibut), and the endless loop of Kenny G on the stereo was symbolic of how average the entire experience was.
    "There’s only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that’s lying about being milk."
    - Ron Swanson
  • Post #10 - August 14th, 2017, 1:44 pm
    Post #10 - August 14th, 2017, 1:44 pm Post #10 - August 14th, 2017, 1:44 pm
    For wine I would say the best place for wine is Martha's Vineyard in Grand Rapids. If you are in the market for very high end hard to find wines ask to go up to the wine "cellar".

Martha's Vineyard
    200 Union Ave NE
    Grand Rapids, MI 49503

Pizza, baked goods, and Specialty grocery as well.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more