LTH Home

Super Eats in Indianapolis

Super Eats in Indianapolis
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Super Eats in Indianapolis

- April 3rd, 2014, 11:01 am
    - April 3rd, 2014, 11:01 am Post #1 - April 3rd, 2014, 11:01 am
    Da Beef wrote:
    In the case of East Indy, there's some top of the line brisket as well as smoked corned beef. Hank's is attached to a popular neighborhood barber shop and basically does takeout. I believe we (jimswside was w/ me) got a 1/2 pound of each, it was taken out to the lot to dine al trunko. Hot Damn! I hate playing the best game but this was the best brisket I've had outside the state of Texas. No question about it. Hell, it was as good as I remember some of the top spots I had on my semi recent trip down there. The corned beef further cements the claim of the Midwest being the King of salt cured beef. They smoke theirs here and that nice hint of it added in makes me wonder if I'll ever fully appreciate it being baked or steamed again.

Smoked Brisket

Smoked Corned Beef

We stopped in for a snack at this Jamaican spot pictured below. It's run by the son of a Chinese-Jamaican, I think swside was kind of surprised to see the guy with a deep rastafari voice on the phone was actually a small Chinese guy. Nothing new to me. Many places in the states serving Jamaican food are owned by Chinese people with family roots in Jamaica. The patties were a $1 and change and a little different as far as the dough goes to others I've ate but they still tasted great. It appeared they sell lots of frozen bags full of them. I'd have a few in my freezer if I was a resident there.

Hidden in a strip mall somewhere

This little neighborhood favorite has been a part of the area since pre-civil war. The east end of the building anyway. Thru the years it's been a part of a carriage, an auto repair shop and a pub post prohibition. It became Ralph's Great Divide in 1983 and has served their signature bourbon ham sandwich ever since then. While it is a bar, and a very cool one, it's more of a restaurant as far as hours and reason patrons are there. I remember there being a guy on the piano on our visit as well as plenty of regulars enjoying their Saturday night. The aforementioned bourbon ham is described as "Slow Baked Pit Ham with Bourbon & Spices" and comes served on bread from a local bakery with the works if you want. I guess it's loved by many around here. I didn't love it, but I liked it.

Famous Bourbon Ham Sandwich - "The One and Only"

Hanks Briskets was excellent, I think I preferred the corned beef to the brisket, but now I am not so sure.

Really enjoyed my first taste of a Jamaican Patty, & yes I was cracked up by the little asian guy with the big jamaican accent.

The ham sandwich at Great Divide worked for me, an Anton Egoesque flashback moment that took me back to my childhood when we would have ham 2 nights in a row, the first night it was boiled and then sliced and served on Butternut bread with mayo lettuce and tomato...

Indy is alot of fun and an easy cruise.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more