LTH Home

Steer-In—Home of the Twin Steer—Indianapolis IN

Steer-In—Home of the Twin Steer—Indianapolis IN
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Steer-In—Home of the Twin Steer—Indianapolis IN

Post #1 - January 21st, 2012, 6:24 pm
    Post #1 - January 21st, 2012, 6:24 pm Post #1 - January 21st, 2012, 6:24 pm
    Traveling through Indiana, the ol' GPS let us down so we were unable to locate our primary target in Indy. Steer-In, a classic 1950s East Side drive in, turned out to be a good backup.

Their signature sandwich, the Twin Steer, is an excellent example of the "Big Boy" style burger.

It's everything you'd hope for in a drive-in burger: good-tasting crisp-edged beef patties on a toasted bun with condiments judiciously applied. More than the sum of its parts.

The extensive menu is full of Hoosier classics including beef and turkey manhattans, pork tenderloins and—classic among classics—beef and noodles.

Beef and noodles, properly served with a mound of mashed potatoes, unfortunately was a letdown after the exemplary burger. The dish had a wholesome homemade feeling but it also had an unpleasant gluey texture, as if held too long. I bet it would have been far better freshly made.

Steer-In makes their pies in house but, again, it was close but no cigar.

This unfortunate slice had been removed from the refrigerator and microwaved, completely ruining the texture of the crust. Probably one of their cream pies would be the smart order.

I have a feeling there are other real hits on the menu, hidden among the Irish Nachos and Wham Bam Shrimp. Steer-In is Guy Fieri-approved as a huge wall poster will not let you forget. Really, his seemingly ubiquitous presence is becoming a blight on the national dining landscape.

Steer-In
    5130 E 10th St
    Indianapolis IN
    317-356-0996
    http://www.steerin.net/ (warning: Guy Fieri images)
  • Post #2 - February 18th, 2012, 4:33 pm
    Post #2 - February 18th, 2012, 4:33 pm Post #2 - February 18th, 2012, 4:33 pm
    Rene G wrote:I have a feeling there are other real hits on the menu, hidden among the Irish Nachos and Wham Bam Shrimp. Steer-In is Guy Fieri-approved as a huge wall poster will not let you forget. Really, his seemingly ubiquitous presence is becoming a blight on the national dining landscape.

Peripheral here, but I first encountered Irish Nachos at Schoops in Indiana. That's not an item I've seen elsewhere, but I am not a fan of fried appetizers and may have missed some. Take a close look at Schoop's menu- the Irish nachos are another application of ranch dressing for you, ReneG.

And I couldn't agree more about Guy Fieri overload. Where oh where is Fred Flintstone when we need him?
    Man : I can't understand how a poet like you can eat that stuff.
    T. S. Eliot: Ah, but you're not a poet.
  • Post #3 - May 27th, 2013, 1:42 pm
    Post #3 - May 27th, 2013, 1:42 pm Post #3 - May 27th, 2013, 1:42 pm
    Chicago to Dayton this weekend for a family visit. It's one of my least favorite of our somewhat-regular routes. After a dismal dinner Friday evening in West Laffayette, we found ourselves hitting Indianapolis on the way home at lunchtime today.

A quick LTH search led us here. Happily, they were open on the Holiday and about 3/4 full. Nothing here blew our socks off, but food was solid, everyone was friendly and great with our 14-month-old, and it's an easy on/off 65. The coleslaw was quite good. Patty Melt and BLT, both on marble rye, classic renditions, and the mashed potatoes/gravy side I ordered for my daughter was insanely huge for $1.00. Coffees were re-filled frequently.

It definitely beat the chain we chose on way east. Thanks for posting, Renee.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more