LTH Home

Kebbabish of London, in London

Kebbabish of London, in London
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Kebbabish of London, in London

Post #1 - June 15th, 2004, 6:49 am
    Post #1 - June 15th, 2004, 6:49 am Post #1 - June 15th, 2004, 6:49 am
    I remember reading on the old board several comparisons of Devon-area spots to the Original Kebbabish of London. I've just moved about 100 yards down the road from the Original Kebbabish on Mile End Road. I stopped in yesterday, enticed by the rows of spit roasted chickens. I got waylaid by a form of sag aloo, but red, which i took home and ate cold with hot fresh naan bread. I'll have to go back for the roast chicken, obviously.

My question is this: is there more than one Kebbabish of London in London? What is the dish/dishes that make Kebabbish a standard bearer to at least one Devon eater? What should i be trying at the wide wide variety of Bangladeshi/Bengali dishes in my new neighborhood of Bethnal Green?

Thanks

~~Susannah
  • Post #2 - June 15th, 2004, 9:22 am
    Post #2 - June 15th, 2004, 9:22 am Post #2 - June 15th, 2004, 9:22 am
    Susannah, I could be wrong, but I think it was not so much that folks were comparing Devon's kebab places to the Original Kebabish of London *in London* as they were commenting on the relative merits of the Original Kebabish of London *in Chicago*; that is, on Devon there is a spot that purports to be an outpost of the Original in London.

Very Anglophile, and popular, Indo-Pak late night place with pictures of the Queen and Union Jack stuff on the walls. I always debate whether this is done in jest, or whether there is a special pride in being a London subcontinental, kind of like Italian-American pride of places like Brooklyn or S. Philly.

I posted a few times about the place, and I really liked the keema nan. This was a place that STP also wrote about often.

If you think of it, you might ask the folks in London if they have a shop on Devon.
  • Post #3 - June 15th, 2004, 11:37 am
    Post #3 - June 15th, 2004, 11:37 am Post #3 - June 15th, 2004, 11:37 am
    There was even a similar thing earlier about a place called Javed Nehari, which claimed to be the same as the famous one in Bombay or Calcutta.

I think, given the whole extended family thing in these kinds of communities which today can span continents, that there is a high possibility that Cousin Ravi, who has moved to Chicago, was given permission to trade on the name of Uncle Raj's famous place in London or Bombay or wherever, and that there is a reasonable expectation that at least some folks will see it and think of the one they used to know.

It's also not impossible, of course, that they're ripping off a famous place and assuming they won't get caught 3000 miles away.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more