LTH Home

More Time in Wisconsin

More Time in Wisconsin
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 4
  • Post #31 - February 23rd, 2009, 9:46 am
    Post #31 - February 23rd, 2009, 9:46 am Post #31 - February 23rd, 2009, 9:46 am
    Da Beef wrote:This reminded me of how many signs I saw in the Wisconsin part of the Lake Michigan circle tour on local deli's/grocery stores/bakery's offering ham off the bone and biscuits every Sunday. It wasn't Sunday and its a short ride thru Wisconsin on that trip so I never thought of it again. Is this a local thing in and around the counties near the lake?

I know that I have also seen it at the Elegant Farmer. I don't get to Racine or Kenosha so I cannot comment.

The Pic 'n Save in Delavan closed last year and filed for Chapter 7 liquidation.
  • Post #32 - February 23rd, 2009, 9:56 am
    Post #32 - February 23rd, 2009, 9:56 am Post #32 - February 23rd, 2009, 9:56 am
    stevez wrote:That's Brass Ball

Its been a long cold winter, I stand corrected.
  • Post #33 - February 24th, 2009, 1:06 pm
    Post #33 - February 24th, 2009, 1:06 pm Post #33 - February 24th, 2009, 1:06 pm
    I must chime in with a real fun, tasty deal on Friday nights at Twin Lakes CC in Twin Lakes, WI, just over the border a little east of Rte. 12.

The cost of their all-you-can-eat fish fry depends on when you sit down to eat. From 4:30-6:00, I believe it's $7.99, 6:00-7:00 it's $8.99, and after seven it ramps all the way up to $9.99. Fantastic value, and maybe the best fish fry I've ever attended.

Great cod, either broiled or baked/fried, with cole slaw, potato pancakes, fries, homemade rolls & tartar sauce. We invaded with a big group of 20 & they didn't bat an eyelash. Had a great meal, then retired to the very cool retro (isn't everything retro in WI?) bar for some competitive karaoke.

Twin Lakes Country Club
    1230 Legion Drive
    Twin Lakes, WI
    (262) 877-2500
  • Post #34 - March 1st, 2009, 9:45 am
    Post #34 - March 1st, 2009, 9:45 am Post #34 - March 1st, 2009, 9:45 am
    jnm123 wrote: potato pancakes

What separates the men from the boys when it comes to a fish fry.
  • Post #35 - January 5th, 2011, 12:43 pm
    Post #35 - January 5th, 2011, 12:43 pm Post #35 - January 5th, 2011, 12:43 pm
    I was trying to find a place to post my experience at TG's in Kenosha and this thread seemed as good as any since I was spending more time in Wisconsin. The actual land and structure of TG's has a long history in the area. According to it's website "This tavern has changed owners and names a number of times over the last century, but one thing remains consistent – our commitment to good food, good service and good times." It then goes onto say that "Throughout its many years of service, the tavern has managed to retain its historic character and image. It has a well earned reputation not only as a clean, friendly public establishment, but as a cornerstone of Kenosha’s historic Lakeshore neighborhood, where locals and out-of-towners can enjoy 
good food and drink." I couldn't agree more, if I had a spot in Kenosha I imagine TG's would be my tavern.

Kenosha, WI in the Lakeshore neighborhood

I've always loved TG's when able to stop in this both locals and visitors tavern on 7th ave right off the lake but never tried any food until recently. I usually just stopped in for some ice cold brews which they have a great selection of. The inside is well kept and there is a long bar with about 40 stools lining it with tables and poker machines and library's of books and old beer cans along the back walls. There's also a large dining area in back. On my last visit there were about 15 people in there around 6:00p on a weekday, all regulars. One was an older guy, character and a half, others were just eating and drinking and a group of 50 somethings walked in for their weekly scrabble game, the bartender was psyched to see one of them and yelled from across to one of them "Mrs. Old Fashioned! You want me to make you one?" Of course she said yes.

Image Image
    View from my seat near entrance at bar and the poker machines behind me

It's easier to find a tavern or bar with good food than bad in Wisconsin so it wasn't the looks of this place or anything like that which had me wanting to try it, yeah they have burgers made fresh as well as a fish fry but it wasn't those either, instead it was this seen on the sign below.

"Home of Kenosha's famous Hot Beef"

Sounds like my kind of grub, eh? I had seen it on the menu on previous visits and they claim it to be Wisconsin's #1 hot beef sandwich. It says "Our Signature Sandwich! After 50 years, why change a good thing? Succulent shredded beef soaked in Italian-seasoned au jus, this mouth-watering sandwich tastes great plain or topped with your choice of cheese."

So is it just an Italian beef? not quite. The beef is cooked until like that of Al's and they come served on an onion roll. As you read, cheese is an option and standard sides are just chips and pickle. When I make beef at home or when my buddies grandma does her amazing recipe, the beef comes out like this since we don't have a deli slicer. Cooked until falling apart. TG's hot beef's are very well seasoned albeit a little different than a Chicago beef though somewhat similar, I think they use beer when roasting it, which makes sense. We are spending time in Wisconsin...

Hot beef sandwich

The tavern is dark inside so pics did not come out great and I know how some don't like the flash but you get the idea. They do come with housemade giardinara on the side served from a glass jar, which is available in mild and hot.

Image Image
    Onion Rings to start were pretty good

A quick search of "wisconsin hot beef sandwich" on Google shows that these are popular sandwiches in Wisconsin at taverns and at home. The first page of results has message boards with people asking for family recipes, as well as it listed on the WI state fair food menu and then there's this article from the Sauk Prairie Eagle newspaper HERE. That's about the The Sauk-Prairie Eagle Inn in Prairie du Sac, WI which is an old fashioned diner where the hot beef is the number one seller. Although theirs is different then what I got at TG's so I guess they can vary. The recipes listed seem to be more in the style of the one in the picture here from TG's.

This was one delightfully messy sandwich. It's easy to see how these are popular in the state as I very much enjoyed my hot beef on the cold winter day. Much like loose meats these are great tavern food and also great for family food on a weekday, in that all you need is the time to roast the beef 'til shredding and everything else is easy once it's good to go. You just get a bun, scoop some shredded beef with au jus onto it and serve with chips and pickle. It barely held up and there was a good amount of beef that fell out which I scooped up with the potato chips, good stuff.

The insides

So after that it was off to Wells Brother's in Racine which was rocking. The place was packed around 7:30 with only two open seats at the bar and some locals getting crunk. They had a party in back for something else and they were clapping and cheering and having a great time. It was good to see, I hope it never goes away. I love spending time in Wisconsin. I plan on seeking out some more famous hot beefs this summer when I make my annual rounds around the state.

Guess where I was?

TG's Bar/Restaurant
    4120 7th Avenue
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    (262) 658-8080
  • Post #36 - February 6th, 2011, 1:08 pm
    Post #36 - February 6th, 2011, 1:08 pm Post #36 - February 6th, 2011, 1:08 pm
    Hi,

The only mentions of Milwaukee's hot ham rolls to date has been:

Vital Information wrote:... We parked between Glorioso Brothers and Peter Sciortino's Bakery on Brady Street, just north of downtown Milwaukee, both advertising hot ham and fresh buns, only to find both places just closed for the day. Must come earlier to find out.

At a later time, he finally tried those hot ham rolls.
    Vital Information from Subject: Last Minute Event athon - Get Fat in Wisconsin Version wrote: On Sunday we finally found out what this ham and rolls Milwaukee thing was, and you know what, not much. Regular, cheap deli ham (althought the rolls are good). The one positive, actually a pretty redeeming aspect of the ham is that it is seeped in an elixer, clove scented, honey, who knows, but it really makes this cheap ham good (or shall I say partially beyond tolerable).

On our annual Racoon pre-dinner rampages through Milwaukee, at Louisa Chu's suggestion we tried two years in a row to sample hot ham sandwiches. Last year, we arrived at National Bakery just before closing to find there were no rolls. All we had was an advertisement:

1-30-10 by cal222, on Flickr

This year, we ordered our rolls as we drove toward Milwaukee. We then remembered we didn't have our ham, too, so we called back to reserve our ham. Perhaps a little forgetful from digesting our Jake's Reuben sandwiches, we made an itty bitty error. We all agreed to go to National Bakery. In a moment of incoherence, we went to European Homemade Sausage while CrazyC went to National Bakery. Everybody is waiting for the others to arrive, until a quick cellphone call jogged our memories.

We agreed CrazyC would pick up our orders and meet us at European Homemade Sausage. CrazyC called back to double check if I really wanted all that ham. I having ordered a dozen rolls replied I wanted all the ham that came with those rolls. A dozen rolls cost around $3-4 dollars, which I somehow thought would come with two pounds of ham. Instead, the ham costs $6 per pound with half dozen rolls free. I ended up paying $12 for 2 pounds of ham and a dozen rolls.

There were a choice of three types of rolls: Kaiser, Dutch and third I cannot recall. The Dutch pictured below is supposed to be crustier than the Kaiser on the right. These are supposed to be hard rolls, which may have been packed while still warm, because these were not as crusty as hoped.

1-29-11 by cal222, on Flickr

The primary influence on our seeking hot ham rolls was this Serious Eats article by Adam Kuban that Louisa had found. We learned Adam's family tends to eat the ham cold with buns slathered with butter. Louisa also learned you may heat the ham in a frying pan with a shallow bit of hot water.

I tried it both ways. The very, very thinly sliced ham offered via National Bakery was the saltiest city ham I have encountered. Eating cold with the butter was fine. If you ate it hot, I poured hot water from a tea kettle over the ham, this wathbath method reduced the salt.

My parents ate similar sandwiches growing up in Chicago. While it wasn't a regional tradition for them, it was simply ham on roll sandwiches. If those buns had truly been hard rolls, this would have really transported them back to their youth.

I will certainly do this again, though I may call a day ahead to make sure my rolls stay outside the bag until I collect them. Yes, I really want my hard rolls to be hard.

National Bakery and Deli

West location
    13820 W. Greenfield, WI 53005
    262-827-4097

East location
    3200 S. 16th St.
    Milwaukee, WI 53215
    414-672-1620

South location:
    5637 Broad Street
    Greendale, WI 53219
    414-423-4620

Mon-Fri: 6:30 am - 6:00 pm
    Sat: 6:00 am - 4:00 pm
    Sun: Closed
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #37 - February 6th, 2011, 3:29 pm
    Post #37 - February 6th, 2011, 3:29 pm Post #37 - February 6th, 2011, 3:29 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Image

Ham and rolls on Saturday? I'm from Chicago, so what do I know, but I thought hot ham-n-rolls was a Sunday thing for our neighbors to the north. You get out of bed, head to church and on the way home you pick up some ham and rolls. Then gather 'round the TV with family and friends to cheer on the Packers. Beer and cheese are likely to be involved too. I'm almost never in Milwaukee on Sunday so I never participated in this ritual but here are a few hot ham and roll photos I've accumulated over the years.

One of these years I'm going to get to Milwaukee on Sunday for hot ham and rolls. Any favorite places?

Butcher Block Meat Market
    9340 S Chicago Rd
    Oak Creek WI
    414-764-2910

Glorioso Bros Italian Foods
    1020 E Brady St
    Milwaukee WI
    414-272-0540

Peter Sciortino's Bakery
    1101 E Brady St
    Milwaukee WI
    414-272-4623

Honeydip Donuts
    several locations including:
    805 S Layton Blvd
    Milwaukee WI
    414-643-9400
  • Post #38 - February 6th, 2011, 3:37 pm
    Post #38 - February 6th, 2011, 3:37 pm Post #38 - February 6th, 2011, 3:37 pm
    Hi,

National Bakery bucks the trend twice:
    1) Closed on Sunday.
    2) Offers ham and rolls Monday through Saturday.

Regards,
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #39 - February 7th, 2011, 8:46 am
    Post #39 - February 7th, 2011, 8:46 am Post #39 - February 7th, 2011, 8:46 am
    I need to add hot ham and rolls to my "Overrated Eats" list. Don't get the appeal other than family tradition, which thankfully my family never took part of.
    Visit my new website at http://www.splatteredpages.com or my old one at www.eatwisconsin.com
  • Post #40 - July 1st, 2011, 12:40 pm
    Post #40 - July 1st, 2011, 12:40 pm Post #40 - July 1st, 2011, 12:40 pm
    I almost had to start a 'Pizza Parlors of WI' thread with all the great pizza places up around that way. I still might but in the meantime I have another great stop for the tavern thin "true Chicago style pizza" aficionados like myself. Surprisingly there is no thread dedicated to food stops in general while in Kenosha but there are plenty of posts and threads on specific places. Spending more time Kenosha I was with a buddy who spotted Taco's to Go while cruising down 52nd. He was very intrigued by the taco egg rolls they offer and was shocked I had never been there. But despite my warnings (thanks Cathy2) he insisted we stop in so he could try some Mexican egg rolls.

Rene G wrote:I was excited by the prospect of a taco eggroll but my hopes were dashed when we saw the newer sign around the corner.
    From the Sheboygan thread.

Really? I would of bet you've been to Taco's to Go? No? or maybe there's hope for me, were you able to erase it from your memory?

Kenosha, WI

Image Image
    steak fajita/cheese & ground beef/cheese Egg Rolls with steak tacos

stevez wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:I will be back to check out some of the unusual menu items.

It looks like you already have. That looks aweful. Thanks for taking one for the team.

If you ever do make it back, skip the steak tacos! Which my friend got because he was hungry despite the fact I was down the block solving that problem. Cathy2 gave me fair warning and I passed it on to him. Haha, no need to thank me for taking one for the team, I told him afterwards I warned him. The egg rolls weren't awful, awful but are best left for the areas local stoners. BUT located a stones throw away just down the street from Taco's to Go is Antonio's Pizza. This is where I went to pick up a pie while my friend waited for his Pepe's meets Orange Garden dinner.

Kenosha, WI

The 'super thin' on the sign is what got me in. They do have a small dining room with a bar but most of their business seems to come from deliveries and pick ups which you order and pick up in a separate part of the building in back which is also where the pies are made. I placed an order with the mother/son team and was told in about 20 minutes my large sausage would be ready. After the 'Panda Bell' extravaganza I was in joy upon the opening of the pizza box. I liked what I was getting for $13 and change.

Large thin crust sausage from Antonio's Pizza and Pasta

Man! The people of Kenosha/Racine got it good when it comes to tavern thin crispy edged homemade sausage style pizza pies. I'm telling y'all this guy's pizza's are right behind Wells Brothers down the road in Racine. I've been twice now and enjoyed both visits. The edges are crispy as can be, the middle pieces not as much but everything else is great. There was a little extra grease my first visit but the sausage is spot on and they sure don't skimp. It's just as good a few hours later as I learned after bringing an extra one back to the city with me on my most recent visit. You can also just eat half of it on the hood of your car in their parking lot and save the other half for when you get back. I bet you it doesn't make it home.

Image Image
    Cant get it like this in NYC...

Antonio's Pizza & Pasta
    2410 52nd street
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    (262) 652-5555.
  • Post #41 - July 2nd, 2011, 3:11 pm
    Post #41 - July 2nd, 2011, 3:11 pm Post #41 - July 2nd, 2011, 3:11 pm
    Did you get a Nut Bar at Mac's Deli for dessert?
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #42 - July 3rd, 2011, 8:55 am
    Post #42 - July 3rd, 2011, 8:55 am Post #42 - July 3rd, 2011, 8:55 am
    Man that pizza looks great DaBeef! I was in Kenosha, Racine, Milwaukee, Pewaukee/Hartland/Oconomowoc/Thiensville all day yesterday, but I didn't have any pizza. I even drove by Wells Brothers and kept going (I had already eaten Real Urban BBQ in Highland Park and we were on our way to Kopp's) which will piss off Wally Wade I'm sure! :twisted:

So it looks like I have two more places to try right away up there - Antonio's Pizza, and Mike and Angelo's (Racine). I think I need to head back up there today! 8)
  • Post #43 - August 29th, 2011, 8:07 am
    Post #43 - August 29th, 2011, 8:07 am Post #43 - August 29th, 2011, 8:07 am
    We have a little “tradition” to have dinner at Schwarz’s whenever we go to Kiel/Elkhart lake area. Past weekend was no exception.
    Schwarz’s is a supper club with a lovely atmosphere, great WI priced drinks and pretty tasty food. Now with smoking ban, it is even kid friendly.
    I don’t have a picture of the appetizer or kid’s meal but :
    The complimentary relish tray:
    My husband’s pork chops:
    And the broaster chicken I had:
    They prepare some really strong drinks here:
    And for some reason all staff is pretty :)

Schwarz's Supper Club
    W1688 Sheboygan Road
    New Holstein, WI 53061
    (920) 894-3598
  • Post #44 - August 30th, 2012, 6:19 pm
    Post #44 - August 30th, 2012, 6:19 pm Post #44 - August 30th, 2012, 6:19 pm
    -Eating/Exploring Southwest Wisconsin

Last year I spent a couple weekends around the SW area of the Cheese and Dairy state and thought that it be best I to get this one up with the weather turning. As this is a great place to visit during the Fall with the changing of the colors and some great festivals and all. It's a really beautiful area of Wisconsin and of course like most everywhere else in state theres some good eats and drink to be had.

Image Image
    Image Image
    Exploring SW Wisconsin

Lets see whats up...

Today's trip starts in Madison because if you're going to head out on a journey its best to get a good breakfast in to start the day. Gotham Bagels is a place I've been to a few times now. I think it's as good if not better than everything we have in Chicagoland including NYB&B. But I only eat so many bagels a year so what do I know.

Madison, WI

I haven't had anything but the 'Brighton Beach' which comes from the signature sandwiches menu and that's because its a great way to start the day, especially when you're feeling a little woozy after a night of drinking, which tends to happen in Madison.

Brighton Beach: Smoked Alaskan salmon, caper cream cheese, watercress, red onion & tomato

Off to the suburb of Middleton which is the home to the National Mustard Museum. Formerly of Mount Horeb the shrine to the yellow seed now resides here in nice new digs. I went to the old one during my college days but had never been to this new place until this past spring so I thought I would throw it in with the rest of whats coming.

Middleton, WI

As we enter

If your on team yellow like me than I suspect you'll get a kick out of this place. As you can see from the picture above the top floor is basically retail. They sell mustard from all over the world and have many American made regional jars and bottles for those looking to expand their kitchen cabinet collection. Downstairs is where you'll find some cool displays and learn more about the history of this fine condiment.

Image Image
    Image Image
    Some views inside

Obviously not a born and bred Chicagoan...

This isn't a museum worth driving a few hours for like those along the lake here in Chicago but it was a fun way to spend a half hour. Canada produces more mustard than any other country by far. They had old mustard cans on display and arranged current and former brands state by state. The best part about this place though is that you can sample any of the 100's upon 100's of mustard's they offer. Just ask and they'll let you try them at the tasting station. Pretzel stix are free but even better, mini brats are a buck. There was no entry fee although I think I remember there being a donation box and throwing a few dollars in it. I thought it was well worth it.

Image Image
    Gotta love Wisconsin...

We head off into Black Earth which is about 30 minutes west of Madison. The Shoe Box is the Midwest's largest shoe store and it's quite a place if you like shoes. I'm not the biggest shoe guy in the world but I cant ever leave here without a pair, usually a few.

Black Earth, WI

They got it all. Were talking everything from a fresh pair of Nike Airs to workingman's boots and everything in between. Sports fans may remember it was involved in a scandal surrounding the University of Wisconsin football team back when Barry Alvarez was coach.

Image Image
    A peak inside

This was the place I shopped for my new shoes in college usually after a day at Devils Lake. They have a great selection of shoes but that's not all they do. There's cheese if you need and on nice westhered weekends you can get a fantastic locally made "brat fry" from one of the local nonprofit service organizations.

Cheese curds for sale while you shop for shoes...

...and brat's for sale as you leave, this is Wisconsin after all

Up the road from the Shoe Box is one of the more upscale Wisconsin taverns I have ever been into called Rookies. When I say upscale and tavern this means that it's still your basic sports bar with a Wisconsin tavern atmosphere but it's really nice inside.

#RandomWisconsinTaverns (Mazomanie, WI)

It's very well decorated with all sorts of sports memorabilia and the wood jobs done throughout the large space are great. There was obviously alot of work and care put into making this place.

A peak inside

I've been in here a couple times now as I was always intrigued by the large wiffle ball field in back. Not only did the beautiful small scaled stadium stand out whenever I would ride by but it had St. Louis Cardinal's logos everywhere. As it turns out the owner of Rookie's also owns the Shoe Box and the Madison Mallard's minor league baseball team. I still haven't eaten here but the beer selection is abundant and served ice cold.

The Wiffle Ball Field in back of the bar

Overlooking SW Wisconsin

There's another sports related tavern in the region called the Coach's Club. It's similar to Rookie's in the atmosphere and menu. Having eaten here I can recommend them for their famous steak cap sandwich which I had on my visit last Fall. I remember the menu saying that this sandwich was in limited supply each day because it consists of the top two inches of each end piece from the prime ribs that they cook.

Coaches Club Bar & Grill in Cross Plains, WI

I also remember them telling me they had few ready as the Packers were getting ready to kick off the 2011/12 NFL season against the Saints later that day. They marinate the end pieces for 48 hours and then cook them on the grill. The sandwich comes served with choice of cheese, grilled onions and sauteed portabello or button mushrooms and is served with a side of hash browns. This was a very good sports bar sandwich although pricier than most. The French Onion Soup and other food ordered by that whom was with me ranged from bad to just ok though.

Steak Cap Sandwich w/ cheesy hash browns

Spring Green is about 20 miles east of Black Earth and it too a great little town. It's alot about the arts as there's a local theater that's supposed to put on some really good plays as well as this area being the summertime home of Frank Lloyd Wright. However like many others, they never tell you about the not so good about people revered in history and the residents of Spring Green weren't exactly big fans of his. Not after he left his wife and family in Oak Park, IL and headed there with a clients wife who was later murdered with her children by a killer little is still known about today.

Spring Green, WI

Seen above there's a great little general store in town to eat at before going around and exploring the beautiful architecture and natural beauty that's abundant around here.

Image Image
    A peak inside

I never got the chance to eat at the General Store but the home-style menu is locally focused with some ethnic options and they have special coffees, micro brews, gourmet groceries and an original selection of candles, soaps, jewelry etc... I stopped in a few times because they had a great build your own six pack selection from the cooler featuring some beers not available outside Wisconsin other than just New Glarus. I'm a big fan of both Lake Louie and now Furthermore whom I became familiar with sampling beers of theirs bought at the General Store. Both breweries are in the area.

Some of my most refreshing beer bounty from the Spring Green General Store

Image Image
    Image Image
    Some sights from the road

#RandomWisconsinTaverns (Gotham, WI)

Another great little town in this region is Mineral Point. It's about 40 minutes south of Spring Green. This is one of the states oldest cities settled in 1827 and during the 19th and 20th centuries it became one of the top areas for lead and zinc mining. These days the mining is no more but because of the historical presence and preservation of the town with its old school character its a popular place to visit. The Main street and surrounding area reminded me a little bit of Deadwood another old mining town turned popular tourist place to pass thru.

Mineral Point, WI

The Red Rooster Cafe on High Street

The Red Rooster Cafe came recommended for their hearty breakfasts which include Cornish pasties, a popular snack amongst miners back in the day. It had that classic Wisconsin breakfast cafe vibe going on the day we ate there.

Image Image
    A peak inside - their most excellent hash browns with cheese and onions

I've had quite a few pasties in my time and have never been amazed by them yet I continue to try them so I guess they got something going on. "When in Rome" and these are what miners brought into the caves to eat as their lunch each day for work. Just like every other pastie I've ever had this one was ok but seemed like it could benefit from some sort of sauce or seasoning. Same song, same dance. We stopped into the Brewery Creek Brewpub also in town for some of their micro brewed beers and what they called frites but I just call extra crisp fries. The beers were good, the fries served their purpose as a bar snack.

House Pasty from the Red Rooster

Image Image
    Brewery Creek Brewpub and their house frites

Later that evening for dinner we went over to a place that had caught out eye as we strolled around High Street which is mineral point's Main Street. Cafe 4 Restaurant I literally just found out as I typed it into google has closed. That's too bad as we had a really nice meal there and I would of happily stopped in again had I had the chance to do so. They had a nice locally focused small menu and the pasta and chicken pot pie we had were both great as we sat outside in their garden with hummingbirds passing by. Oh well I'll leave the pictures up anyway as I've been slowly adding stuff onto this post for a while now.

Cafe 4 Restaurant in Mineral Point (Closed)

Wood Fired Oven

Image Image
    Image Image
    Some pics from dinner

Pasta (Made in House) Carbonara

#RandomWisconsinTaverns (Belmont, WI)

Image Image
    I love the riding the rustic roads...

Say Cheese!!!!

#RandomWisconsinTaverns (Dickeyville, WI) - For sale as of last year

Located along the Great River Road in Potosi is another great stop with a museum worth checking out. The Potosi Brewing Company was originally started up in 1906 and for over 60 years they made "Good Old Potosi" which was shipped out on the river in its early years. It shut down in 1972 but reopened in 2008 with some beer geeks taking over. It was chosen by the American Breweriana Association to be the home to its national museum beating out St. Louis and Milwaukee. More on this place in the Great River Road thread when I get the chance.

Potosi Brewing Company (Potosi, WI)

Of course no trip thru Southwest Wisconsin is complete without a stop at Baumgartner's. The famous cheese shop/drinking establishment in Monroe is a favorite of mine and has been mentioned by many on this board. Its known all over the globe. As is mentioned in Monroe's own thread HERE it's annual Cheese Days festival is near.

Monroe, WI

Monroe in itself is another great little town in this region to visit. Its the heart of cheese land and theres beer being brewed at Minhas which is said to be the oldest brewery in the Midwest. As far as Baumgartner's goes its been around since 1931 and they seem to always be busy whenever I stop in. I like their Reuben sandwich and also the hard salami but am not a fan of the Braunschweiger liverwurst sandwich. The first time will be the last time I try it.

Reuben Sandwich (Top) and a Hard Salami with a bottle of Staghorn is a very nice lunch

Liverwurst Sandwich

See ya next time...

Gotham Bagels
    112 East Mifflin Street
    Madison, WI 53704
    (608) 467-7642

National Mustard Museum
    7477 Hubbard Avenue
    Middleton, WI 53562
    (608) 831-2222

The Shoe Box
    1314 Canal Street
    Black Earth, WI 53515
    (608) 767-3447

Rookies Food and Spirits
    10267 U.S. 14
    Mazomanie, WI 53560
    (608) 767-5555

Coaches Club Sports Bar
    1200 Main Street
    Cross Plains, WI 53528
    (608) 413-0400

Spring Green General Store
    137 South Albany Street
    Spring Green, WI 53588
    (608) 588-7070

Red Rooster Cafe
    158 High Street
    Mineral Point, WI 53565
    (608) 987-9936

Brewery Creek Inn B&b & Brewpub
    23 Commerce Street
    Mineral Point, WI 53565
    (608) 987-3298

Cafe Four
    CLOSED

Potosi Brewing Company
    209 South Main Street
    Potosi, WI 53820
    (608) 763-4002

Baumgartner's
    1023 16th Avenue
    Monroe, WI 53566
    (608) 325-6157
  • Post #45 - August 31st, 2012, 8:22 am
    Post #45 - August 31st, 2012, 8:22 am Post #45 - August 31st, 2012, 8:22 am
    Da Beef-

Great stuff as always. Do you know what kind of cheese was on the liverwurst? I used to love liverwurst as a kid...not sure why I stopped eating it.
    -Mary
  • Post #46 - August 31st, 2012, 11:55 am
    Post #46 - August 31st, 2012, 11:55 am Post #46 - August 31st, 2012, 11:55 am
    The last time I was at Baumgartner's it was liverwurst and limberger cheese.
    That sandwich does not look like limburger though. If younhave friends that eat cheese but do not understand quality cheese, the swiss colony outlet (admittedly I havent been there in a while) used to have decent prices on the surplus from their Mail order operations in monroe.
    Last edited by exvaxman on August 31st, 2012, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #47 - August 31st, 2012, 1:37 pm
    Post #47 - August 31st, 2012, 1:37 pm Post #47 - August 31st, 2012, 1:37 pm
    The GP wrote:Da Beef-

Great stuff as always. Do you know what kind of cheese was on the liverwurst? I used to love liverwurst as a kid...not sure why I stopped eating it.

Thanks and a thanks to you for pointing out the Peshtigo River Resort. If they do indeed have Patty making burgers during lunch, that's worth a document. I really dont remember what cheese since this trip was about a year ago but I wanna say its brick cheese. I actually like "liverbest" when I get it from Drier's in Three Oaks, Michigan but I eat that with their cheddar tub cheese (like a spread) on crackers. I wasn't feeling this sandwich but can say it's because of personal taste.
  • Post #48 - October 10th, 2012, 11:15 am
    Post #48 - October 10th, 2012, 11:15 am Post #48 - October 10th, 2012, 11:15 am
    The lady was bothering me about getting some pumpkins and going apple picking at some point soon. So with Sundays late Bears start (and gimme win) I decided it would be a good time to go stroll while the Fall colors are still around and the weather remains sunny with a nice crisp cool in the air. Original choice was to head to Amish Indiana but it seems like most everyplace there is closed on Sundays. The orchards were open but I need some places to eat. So off it was to the Kenosha/Racine area where I know for sure there's tons of fun as far as food and booze goes.

The Coffee Pot in Kenosha

Breakfast was at the Coffee Pot which won out over Frank's due to a wait. We were able to snag some seats at the counter and having heard some good (and bad) things about their Corned Beef Hash I was ready to try that. She went with half of a "perk-o-lator" which is basically the same thing as a garbage plate down the street at Frank's. Egg's, sausage, onions, peppers, hash browns and cheese all thrown together into one. The large which I've had before is massive, a half order with their top notch made in house toast will be more than enough.

Perk-o-later Plate (1/2 order)

Corned Beef Hash Breakfast

I had the perk plate last time I was here and it's a signature sconnie style breakfast that will not let you leave hungry. I like it although I'm not sure it's better than Frank's version aka a "Garbage Plate". A taste off might have to happen. The CBH was pretty good. I didn't think it was top notch but the fact that it was homemade makes it comforting but they could of used a little more corned beef. The beef to potato ratio was off. But that toasted homemade bread which is given a healthy dose of butter is really, really good. Breakfast sandwich with that bread next time. Its so good.

Image Image
    Image Image
    Brightonwoods Orchard in Burlington

Located on one of the states beautiful rustic roads is the Brightonwoods Orchard. It was born in 1950 as a weekend retreat and what started out as a hobby (growing apples) became a business. Today they grow over 200 varieties. They didn't have a great summer but the apples that did make it off the trees sure were tasty.

They had about 20 varieties last weekend

They also have an onsite winery that specializes in sparkling apple and pear as well as other dessert wines. They sell their amazing non alcoholic apple cider on site and have a few things for the kids to do too. BUT they arent a "U-Pick" orchard. Between y'all here and me, I knew that before we went but didn't want to go to the farmlands of Northern Illinois. Nowhere to eat. I'm enjoying the "Melrose" and "Jonagold" apples I picked up. I also got some nice homegrown Italian garlic and spaghetti squash too. After that it was off to the Dover Inn to watch the end of what looked like an easy Packers win. Looked like...

Kansasville, WI (Racine County)

The Dover Inn has been around since 1950 with it's classic Wisconsin tavern looks from outside and vibe inside. It's a pub and restaurant in a house. They have two floors and were doing some good business with most everyone in there wearing some sort of Packers gear. But as I got there with maybe 6 mins to go in the 4th I was able to distinguish whom the Bears fans were when the claps started coming.

A peak inside... "we're not supposed to lose to the Colts!!!!"

The Packers fans were stunned and the 50 something year old lady's drunk off their brandy old fashioneds and gummy worms infused with vodka (yes they were passing these out, only in WI) went from loud to quiet in the span of a few minutes. The place emptied quick after the loss. One guy passed by me talking to his friend "Every f^cking time we come to this place the Packers lose" I told them they ought to stop in more often. I was there to pick up some of their popular broasted chicken. The Sunday special was half of that with mashed potatoes and gravy, dressing and corn for $8.95.

Sunday Special: Broasted Chicken Dinner

I've had alot of "broasted" chicken in Wisconsin (Broaster is based out of Beloit these days). So I was eager to see how this compared. I had to take it to go though so we could head back towards Kenosha and catch the start of the Bears game. But not before I had a piece while it was still fresh from the fryer. This is the new champ as far as broasted chicken in Wisconsin goes. It was more seasoned than most and perfectly crisp. Only the thigh made it on the ride to Kenosha. I stopped into the Italian American Club to say whats up to some friends and watch the Bears. Halfway thru the 3rd it was over. So we were out.

Ram4 wrote:There is another really good thin pizza place in Racine you could have gone to called Mike and Angelo's. Some like it better than Wells Brothers

One of the longtime bartenders at the Italian American Club swears by Mike & Angelo's. Others swear by Wells and Antonio's. Just like Bears/Packers, convo about who's pizza is better can become passionate. Those that know me, know that as a proud Chicagoan it pains me to say it but I think Wells Brothers has the best pizza in the country. At least the best I've tried and I'm a tavern thin kind of guy. But with it being a Sunday and Wells Brothers not open Sun. or Mon. I finally decided to give Mike & Angelo's a try.

Racine, WI

As Ram4 mentioned elsewhere even though it's in a strip mall the inside has that usual vibe you find inside old school Italian American places throughout the Midwest. I took my pie to go (dinner later that eve) but had maybe a quarter of it before we left the lot. It was really good but I didn't think the sausage was on par with the places that do it best. I'd be totally happy if this was my local pizzeria but still like both Wells Brothers and Antonio's (seen upthread) better. The folks of Kenosha and Racine Counties are lucky to have all three. I'll bet there's a few other good places too. I remember reading somewhere that this area has more pizza shops per capita than anywhere else in the country. I'll be on the prowl.

Large Sausage and Onion Pizza

The Coffee Pot
    4914 7th Avenue
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    (262) 653-8849

Brightonwoods Orchard
    1072 288th Avenue
    Burlington, WI 53105
    (262) 878-4772

Joe and Shelly's Dover Inn
    1909 North Beaumont Avenue
    Kansasville, WI 53139
    (262) 534-2707

Mike & Angelo's
    6214 Washington Avenue
    Racine, WI 53406
    (262) 886-1906
  • Post #49 - October 10th, 2012, 11:30 am
    Post #49 - October 10th, 2012, 11:30 am Post #49 - October 10th, 2012, 11:30 am
    Da Beef wrote:BUT they arent a "U-Pick" orchard. Between y'all here and me, I knew that before we went but didn't want to go to the farmlands of Northern Illinois. Nowhere to eat.

Ha! That could fit in the You Know You're an LTHer when... thread!
    -Mary
  • Post #50 - October 29th, 2012, 12:11 pm
    Post #50 - October 29th, 2012, 12:11 pm Post #50 - October 29th, 2012, 12:11 pm
    Its that time of the year when I'm up in the Kenosha/Racine area a few times a month. I'll continue with the flow and post any worthwhile stops in this thread here as far as that area goes.

Kenosha, WI

I've stopped thru here a bunch of times as it sits next door to Tenuta's and just across the street from the Italian American Club on 52nd street. It's been around since the early 70's and is one of the most popular drinking establishments in an area full of them.

a peak inside the place

I've been to Ron's in the afternoon on a weekday and on a Friday evening around the time the entire state is getting it's drink on and all times in between. It's pretty much always packed especially during lunch hour and nighttime. You'll see 70-something year old couples mowing down they're hugely popular Long Islands. They come in too many flavors too count and are served in huge glass mugs. You'll see 20 somethings doing the same. Everyone knows each others names. I've posted about them in the "Burgers of Wisconsin" thread before because that's what they're known for foodwise.

BBQ Mushroom Swiss Burger

The kitchen is located behind the bar like a true Sconnie tavern should have. So the menu features a bunch of different burger and chicken sandwich options as well as fried foods. It's a small space, they store so much diffeent bottles of liquor for their various Long Islands plus everything else folks like to drink. The burgers are great and the Long Islands are no joke but served on Wed. and Fri. only is their walleye special and it's fantastic. Two fresh lightly hand battered filets are fried to perfection and served with fries. Just like the price on the burgers and drinks one wonders how this place makes money. A steal at $8.95. I'll plan my next biz trip up that way when this is on special.

Walleye Fish Fry (Served Wed. & Fri. only)

Ron's Place
    3301 52nd Street
    Kenosha, WI 53144
    (262) 657-5907
  • Post #51 - February 15th, 2013, 7:58 am
    Post #51 - February 15th, 2013, 7:58 am Post #51 - February 15th, 2013, 7:58 am
    Happy Fish Fryday! All of a sudden I now know of a couple good Friday Night Fry's in the Kenosha/Racine area. Finally made it over to Cliff's Boathouse Cafe in Racine which is known around town for their Fry. It's all in the family over there. A popular place on Friday's with regulars coming in as others leave.

Racine WI

Inside it's pretty no frills but people dont come here to be seen. They have a breakfast and lunch menu for the other days of the week when they're open but Friday it's all about the Fish Fry which is served into dinner hours. Choices are beer battered AYCE cod for $9.95 or you can eat local and go with the lake perch plate or the smelt if they have it.

Lake Perch Plate

Cliff's has consistent business on Friday's so you know they do something right. The perch was perfectly fried and their famous potato pancakes were pretty damn tasty. I kept tasting Ritz Crackers when I ate them so maybe that's their secret ingredient. This is a nice meal for $10, worth a stop if you're ever craving a fish fry across state lines. They offer smelt only when they can get it fresh. I had some on another trip and enjoyed it but would order the perch again next time.

Fried Smelts

Cliff's Boathouse cafe
    301 Hamilton St
    Racine, WI 53402
    (262) 633-1767
  • Post #52 - June 24th, 2013, 11:10 am
    Post #52 - June 24th, 2013, 11:10 am Post #52 - June 24th, 2013, 11:10 am
    I want to report on a couple excellent dishes/places I have experienced in Racine County in the past month.

First, the SRO (Standing Room Only) location on Durand Avenue (by Wal-mart) in Racine. This apparently was a small place that specializes in Philly Steaks located in Kenosha. They opened up in Racine and, despite the name, they do have seating. Its in a strip mall in front of Wal-Mart and the sign simply says SRO, so if you didn't know about it, you would have no idea this is an eating establishment. Their Philly steaks are just delicious; well-seasoned and moist . They cut their own fries also, and you can order chili or cheese on the side, another great item. Husband had one of the burgers and that was pretty darn good as well. I tried the Gyro last week and unfortunately that was not recommended; the meat was not fresh cut of the spit and the white onions were chopped in large chunks. I really like my gyros with thinly shaved red onions, don't know if that is the traditional way but big chunks of raw white onions are never good.

You can't go wrong with the philly and fries, delicious and not that far off the highway (Highway 11 exit)
    http://www.srophilly.com/

Secondly, Stone Corral on Rapids Drive in Racine. I can't figure this place out, its like a Greek/Mexican diner but advertised only as mexican/american. The interior as well as the exterior is dated but I had the best breakfast I had in a LOOONG time. I order the Chilaquiles. The tortilla chips were homemade, it was a cheesy, gooey, breakfast with grilled jalapeno peppers and green onions. Comes with Rice and beans and I just love their mexican rice, I taste a hint of coconut in it I think. I am always looking for a place with a good Mexican breakfast and I will be craving this for a while. The portions size was HUGE, no way I could finish it. Now to find a place with homemade corn tortillas served alongside it....

http://www.stonecorralrestaurant.com/
  • Post #53 - June 26th, 2013, 1:05 pm
    Post #53 - June 26th, 2013, 1:05 pm Post #53 - June 26th, 2013, 1:05 pm
    Da Beef wrote:
    Kenosha, WI

Large thin crust sausage from Antonio's Pizza and Pasta

Antonio's Pizza & Pasta
    2410 52nd street
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    (262) 652-5555.
    I had this place on my radar since you posted these pics DaBeef. But when I was looking on Google Maps today, it said they were permanently closed. I called them and they are still open, with a new name and a larger bar.

Antonio's 5 Fifty Pizza and Pub (this is how they said it was spelled)
    2410 52nd St
    Kenosha WI 53140
    (262)652-5555
  • Post #54 - June 29th, 2013, 7:07 pm
    Post #54 - June 29th, 2013, 7:07 pm Post #54 - June 29th, 2013, 7:07 pm
    after spending numerous summers in central wisconsin I feel it necessary to pass along THE BEST FRIED CHICKEN I have had including any place (and there are many) in the Chicago area.
    The name of the place is Two Lakes and yes its in the middle of nowhere in a town called Almond.
    The pan fried cast iron chicken is a well know favorite in the area. Not sure what they feed these chickens but they are so meaty and moist I know they must be from a nearby farm.
    Do go if you enjoy Fried Chicken and a beautiful country drive.
    :)
  • Post #55 - June 30th, 2013, 8:50 pm
    Post #55 - June 30th, 2013, 8:50 pm Post #55 - June 30th, 2013, 8:50 pm
    funholidaygirl wrote:I want to report on a couple excellent dishes/places I have experienced in Racine County in the past month.

First, the SRO (Standing Room Only) location on Durand Avenue (by Wal-mart) in Racine. ...

Too bad they didn't open earlier, back when I worked a mile or two west of there. There weren't too many good places for lunch in that neighborhood. as a result I'd usually wind up driving quite a ways into town to get a gyro from Gus' Gyros on Goold & Douglas, not far from the other place you reviewed. I loved those things, I much preferred their gyros to the place that usually tops the Milwaukee 'favorite gyros' polls.

Gus' Gyros
    2100 Douglas Ave.
    Racine, WI
    262-898-1085

http://www.greasybag.com/
  • Post #56 - July 1st, 2013, 4:50 pm
    Post #56 - July 1st, 2013, 4:50 pm Post #56 - July 1st, 2013, 4:50 pm
    misfitz wrote:after spending numerous summers in central wisconsin I feel it necessary to pass along THE BEST FRIED CHICKEN I have had including any place (and there are many) in the Chicago area.
    The name of the place is Two Lakes and yes its in the middle of nowhere in a town called Almond.
    The pan fried cast iron chicken is a well know favorite in the area. Not sure what they feed these chickens but they are so meaty and moist I know they must be from a nearby farm.
    Do go if you enjoy Fried Chicken and a beautiful country drive.
    :)

I'm a big fan of great fried chicken, and I'm also a fan of a beautiful country drive, but it is pretty far. I drove a couple hours from Tulsa to Pittsburg, KS to have fried chicken at Chicken Annie's and Chicken Mary's after seeing them on Food Wars. Unfortunately both places were lousy. But the journey is worth it. We definitely have members who would take the trip. This place does broasted (fried) chicken for a very reasonable price. They also have pizza, I wonder if it's anything like some of our favorite thin crust joints up there (Zaffiro's, Maria's, Wells Brothers, or Frank's).

Two Lakes Supper Club
    9915 Two Lakes Rd
    Almond WI 54909
    (715) 366-2479

Good to hear about a place that's WAY off the radar. Especially if it's great. DaBeef? You listening? :lol:
  • Post #57 - July 3rd, 2013, 9:52 am
    Post #57 - July 3rd, 2013, 9:52 am Post #57 - July 3rd, 2013, 9:52 am
    Ram4 wrote:Good to hear about a place that's WAY off the radar. Especially if it's great. DaBeef? You listening? :lol:

Always! Added into my ever expanding sconnie food stops to check out. Book coming if/when I ever decide I need something new to do. It's that time of the year when the "Beyond Chicagoland" section gets flooded with Wisconsin recs so I'll throw some more to the board. Happy 4th all.

Image Image
    This 1st stop is for Da Wiv

Port Washington, WI

The Smith Brothers Fish Shanty is a local landmark to the people of Port Washington. Even though the restaurant itself is gone, the last standing shanty in town along with the building the restaurant was in and the sign that sits above it are basically the last remaining remnants of a once thriving industry. In 1935 close to one million pounds of whitefish, perch, herring, chubs and lake trout was caught here. Smith Brothers Restaurant opened in 1934. As G Wiv and I'm sure others have mentioned it was a big part of life to folks from all over the state. Its where special dinners and celebrations occurred. They suffered a massive fire in 1953 only to come back bigger and better the next year.

Way back when...

Within the last five years the building has seen a couple new tenants arrive. The Duluth Trading Company now occupies most of the building which is kind of fitting since they're a workingman's clothing company and thats what the folks who worked the harbor here were. Attached to that is the Smith Brothers Coffee House. They serve a few sandwiches including the Original Smith Brothers fish sandwich! Lightly breaded perch filets are placed between a soft locally sourced roll and topped with tarter sauce. Take it outside and enjoy the view. Excellent eating.

It's Back! The Famous Smith Brothers Fish Sandwich

Not too far from Smith Brothers is Juice's Ghost Town Tavern.

Grafton, WI

This 100+ year old tavern has gone through a few names and its current one comes from the fact this town was once a thriving place. Its where the first paved road in Wisconsin (from Ulao to Grafton) was built in 1849 and also where the man who shot & killed President James A. Garfield in July 1881 was from. The killers boyhood home still stands today "During the late 1800′s and early 1900′s a Tavern, Dance Hall, Grain Mill and Elevator, and a Railroad Station were built along side the Chicago & Northwestern railroad tracks" When coal replaced wood the town started dying down, though not during prohibition when this building the tavern sits in was rocking, eventually it became a ghost town. Cool vibe inside these days. I tried their popular "Prime Bites" aka deep fried pieces of prime rib. Pure Wisconsin.

Deep Fried Pieces of Prime Rib w/ Horseradish Dipping Sauce

Three's a charm so lets end this trip with some famous apple pie baked in a brown bag from Elegant Farmer in Mukwonago. Maybe a thread about "The Pie of Wisconsin" needs to be started? See ya next time.

State Law says its illegal to serve apple pie in public restaurants w/o cheese...but this is a farm

Smith Bros. Coffee House
    100 N Franklin St
    Port Washington, WI 53074
    (262) 268-2767

Juice's Ghost Town
    990 Ulao Rd.
    Grafton, Wisconsin 53024
    (262) 376-9003

The Elegant Farmer
    1545 Main St
    Mukwonago, WI 53149
    (262) 363-6770
  • Post #58 - July 3rd, 2013, 4:17 pm
    Post #58 - July 3rd, 2013, 4:17 pm Post #58 - July 3rd, 2013, 4:17 pm
    I had a ground prime rib burger in Mequon once. But I never heard of deep fried Prime Rib bites! Were they any good? Worth driving for?
  • Post #59 - April 2nd, 2014, 11:52 am
    Post #59 - April 2nd, 2014, 11:52 am Post #59 - April 2nd, 2014, 11:52 am
    eatwisconsin wrote:I need to add hot ham and rolls to my "Overrated Eats" list. Don't get the appeal other than family tradition, which thankfully my family never took part of.

In all my visits to Milwaukee, I hadn't been there on Sunday morning with enough time to participate in the weekly ritual. Finally got my big chance at Scordato's, a nice little Italian bakery about a mile south of Maria's Pizza. While ordering my pound (plus six free rolls), I asked about the tradition. A friendly customer explained how things are done on Sundays: 1) Go to church; 2) Pick up hot ham and rolls; 3) Watch the Packers.

I liked it. Badger brand is not the greatest ham, but served warm it's not unpleasant at all. Scordato's fresh seeded rolls are quite good, so the whole package exceeded my expectations. I'd do it again. But I'm from Chicago, so what do I know?

Scordato Bakery
    5011 W Howard Av
    Milwaukee WI
    414-327-8555
    http://www.scordatobakery.com/
  • Post #60 - April 5th, 2014, 9:18 pm
    Post #60 - April 5th, 2014, 9:18 pm Post #60 - April 5th, 2014, 9:18 pm
    I am surprised you got into Sunday brunch at Mader's without a reservation. It can be crowded sometimes. But it is definitely Mader's best deal, and I would recommend it readily.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more