LTH Home

John’s Famous Stew — Indianapolis

John’s Famous Stew — Indianapolis
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • John’s Famous Stew — Indianapolis

- June 19th, 2014, 8:08 am
    - June 19th, 2014, 8:08 am Post #1 - June 19th, 2014, 8:08 am
    I finally got to John's Famous Stew to take in both the tenderloin and the stew. Since I was with a high school friend of 50+ years seeking pork tenderloins and the stew, we split an order of each. They cut our tenderloin in half and you can see that cut in this photo.

The stew was the stew I remember and coincidentally was also the stew my dad made at home as I am sure he was copying it. I still make that stew in a Dutch oven while camping. Now I know its history and am happy that all these years I have not suffered in stewdom.

That was my neighborhood. My friend's neighborhood was Haughville and the Working Man's Friend. We went there last year. His grandmother owned the coal yard that was right up the street. My grandfather owned a huge used lumber yard in West Indianapolis near John's Famous Stew. My father worked his whole career at the Chevrolet Manufacturing Plant on White River Parkway that is now abandoned.

Another place to go is the Gas Light Inn not too far from John's Stew at 2280 South Meridian Street. The name may sound upscale but it is another neighborhood type bar/grill like John's and Working Man's. They may very well have the best tenderloin in Indianapolis.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more