Chefs

Posted August 21st 2010, 4:48pm
stevez wrote:
blipsman wrote:Should I have gone with the tips/links combo instead?

That's always been my order of choice. The same at Honey1, for that matter.

When I'd hit Honey1 regularly, I'd more often than not go for the tips/links combo, too. But I had a taste for ribs, and they'd just made Steve Dolinsky's list of top 5 rib joints last week... guess I'll try that if I visit Uncle John's again.
Posted January 14th 2011, 5:19pm
Stopped by Uncle John's last night for my usual order of the tips/links combo and chicken wings. The wings seemed a little smaller than usual but were perfectly fried and delicious, and the tips and links were outstanding. I noticed grapefruit and orange cases in the back and was told that they were leftover from bulk sales to benefit their church. Next fall I think I'll order fruit from them as well as barbecue.
Posted January 14th 2011, 5:36pm
Not knowing what I was getting myself into, I ordered a full pan for a party a few weeks ago, 1/2 tip & 1/2 link. A few last minute cancellations and the accidental oversight of one guest's vegetarianism lead to the remaining 6 of us eating ourselves absolutely silly. Afterward, everyone was sent home with a gallon ziplock full of meat. I then ate only BBQ for the rest of the week. What I'm getting at is that it's a whole lot of food. I imagine we could have reasonably fed a group of 20 for that $60. It was somewhat inconvenient to make two trips down there (you need to go in person at least a day prior to place your order and put a deposit down/pay in advance), but Uncle John's is definitely on my short list for any catering needs.

Pitmaster Emeritus
Web
Posted January 25th 2011, 9:24am
BBQ poetry, Mack Sevier artist, spare ribs, tips links so entirely uplifting five adult males left Uncle John's smiling, joyful, exuberant.

I weep at the sheer beauty.

Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow
Posted January 25th 2011, 12:48pm
Wow....what a work of art.

Never been to Uncle John's in Chicago yet, I NEED to get out there soon for a taste!
Posted January 25th 2011, 1:39pm
i also stopped on sat. ribs where on top & the links where great
i felt up lifted after eating :mrgreen:

philw bbq cbj for kcbs &M.I.M. carolina pit masters
Posted January 25th 2011, 9:09pm
G Wiv wrote:BBQ poetry, Mack Sevier artist, spare ribs, tips links so entirely uplifting five adult males left Uncle John's smiling, joyful, exuberant.

I weep at the sheer beauty.

That's my Picasso!
Posted January 26th 2011, 11:51am
^^^Now that belongs in the Louvre :D

Fettuccine alfredo is mac and cheese for adults.
Posted January 26th 2011, 3:25pm
I've never ordered the ribs; will have to remedy that lack right away!
Posted January 26th 2011, 3:39pm
JanD wrote:I've never ordered the ribs; will have to remedy that lack right away!

It's been hit and miss with the ribs for me. But the tips and links have always been spot on. (My rule for the neighborhood is Lem's for tips, Mack's for links and tips.)
Posted January 26th 2011, 8:50pm
Newer Menu - Note Hours

Sweet smoke rolling up!

Aquarium pit spares...ribs were fresh and hot off the pit.

No left over meats or any hold time on this half rack. Was HOT of the pit.

Got there right at open 1pm

Mack and the pit were firing on all 12 cylinders, with full turbo boost and NOS...hitting good and hard!!
Best spare I have ever had, for sure. I ate most of these in the car out front...I could not get far with all the smoke and smells around. A great lunch and a great day.
Posted January 26th 2011, 10:58pm
Not sure if it has been mentioned elsewhere, but the Trib posted that the Chicago epi of "Bizzare Foods" will be airing on Feb 15 and includes a trip to Uncle John's.

http://tinyurl.com/4v7z6lp

"Baseball is like church. Many attend. Few understand." Leo Durocher
Posted January 28th 2011, 2:14am
Hmmm, looks like a printing error on the new menu. Items 36 and 37 are priced the same - despite the fact that the descriptions for #36 are for a full tray of rib tips or a full tray of hot links and #37 is a half tray of rib tips or a half tray of hot links.

Great photos, thank you. Also - I could have sworn in the past I'd been down there for lunch on a weekday prior to 1 PM. Am I just getting (more) senile or did the opening hours get pushed back some?

Objects in mirror appear to be losing.

Posted January 28th 2011, 2:24am
Kman wrote:Hmmm, looks like a printing error on the new menu. Items 36 and 37 are priced the same - despite the fact that the descriptions for #36 are for a full tray of rib tips or a full tray of hot links and #37 is a half tray of rib tips or a half tray of hot links.

Great photos, thank you. Also - I could have sworn in the past I'd been down there for lunch on a weekday prior to 1 PM. Am I just getting (more) senile or did the opening hours get pushed back some?

I think the opening hours have been pushed back.. thats the ony change.

I just looked at my old menu from Uncle John's, from 2-3 years ago... and #36 is a fulltray there, #37 is a half-tray there.. and both are priced at 57.00, *exactly* like here :-) Uncle John's is nothing if not consistent, in its bbq, in its menu, and in its errors.

BTW, the half-tray is about 30 I believe... and on Mondays and Tuesdays it is 25.00 (and full-slab ribs are 14.00 on those days IIRC). Those were the "specials" that were in effect the last time I went anyway, a couple weeks ago (and theyve been in effect for a year or more now). Those are probably the best deals for bbq anywhere in Chicagoland - not only is it awesomely good bbq (there is great turnover that day, lot of customers).. but the half-pan of BBQ will feed a good 4-6 people without difficulty for the 25 bucks.

c8w
Posted January 28th 2011, 1:19pm
c8w wrote:
BTW, the half-tray is about 30 I believe... and on Mondays and Tuesdays it is 25.00 (and full-slab ribs are 14.00 on those days IIRC). Those were the "specials" that were in effect the last time I went anyway, a couple weeks ago (and theyve been in effect for a year or more now). Those are probably the best deals for bbq anywhere in Chicagoland - not only is it awesomely good bbq (there is great turnover that day, lot of customers).. but the half-pan of BBQ will feed a good 4-6 people without difficulty for the 25 bucks.

c8w

A 1/2 tray of UJ's BBQ for $25 is an amazingly good deal. Thanks for the tip(s). :)

Objects in mirror appear to be losing.
Posted February 28th 2011, 6:28pm
Need to get back for another rack...soon! :evil:
Posted April 12th 2011, 11:44am
I really hope it's not the recent up-tick in fame resulting in any corners being cut, but I've had two consecutive bad meals from Uncle John's. The first was an extremely fatty rack of ribs, which I chalked up to bad luck. The second was completely desiccated hot links, which suggests more of a lack of care in cooking. I only live a few minutes away, and it was always a great option, but I'm going to give them a pass for a couple months and hope things get back to normal.
Posted April 12th 2011, 3:31pm
I was there a week ago Saturday at about 7:30. I didn't try the ribs, and they were out of brisket, alas, but the rib tips and links were as delectable as usual. I often get the chicken wings, but got an order of chicken--all dark meat--because I was taking food to friends; it was tasty as well, even after sitting for about 45 minutes.
Posted April 13th 2011, 8:44am
kl1191 wrote:I really hope it's not the recent up-tick in fame resulting in any corners being cut, but I've had two consecutive bad meals from Uncle John's. The first was an extremely fatty rack of ribs, which I chalked up to bad luck. The second was completely desiccated hot links, which suggests more of a lack of care in cooking. I only live a few minutes away, and it was always a great option, but I'm going to give them a pass for a couple months and hope things get back to normal.

I'm sorry to hear. This is the typical story in these parts. FWIW, I think Smoque is still on top of its game.
Posted April 14th 2011, 6:03pm
The brisket was frankly pretty inedible the one time I ordered it. If you're using the Texas-style brisket served at Smoque or Austin BBQ as a frame of reference, put it out of your mind. It's nothing like that. I'm sticking to the ribs and links!

Pitmaster Emeritus
Web
Posted April 14th 2011, 6:09pm
wahpahh wrote:The brisket was frankly pretty inedible the one time I ordered it. If you're using the Texas-style brisket served at Smoque or Austin BBQ as a frame of reference, put it out of your mind. It's nothing like that. I'm sticking to the ribs and links!

Say it with me, tips, links and, if you are feeling fancy, spare ribs.

Once again, tips, links and, if you are feeling fancy, spare ribs.

One more time? No. OK then.

Sauce on the side, always, implied, axiomatic..........never a doubt, BBQ sauce without.

Low & Slow
Posted June 26th 2011, 12:27am
kl1191 wrote:I really hope it's not the recent up-tick in fame resulting in any corners being cut, but I've had two consecutive bad meals from Uncle John's. The first was an extremely fatty rack of ribs, which I chalked up to bad luck. The second was completely desiccated hot links, which suggests more of a lack of care in cooking. I only live a few minutes away, and it was always a great option, but I'm going to give them a pass for a couple months and hope things get back to normal.

Happy to say that things are back on track for me at UJ's. Stopped in tonight, and everything was as it should be. Links were moist, spicy yet still had a good snap to the casing. Tips were just about perfect.
Posted December 2nd 2011, 7:05pm
Going to Uncle John's for the first time tomorrow, after having lived here for going on 4 years now....

Planning on doing the links/tips/chicken combo with sauce on the side, unless anyone wants to chip in other suggestions?

CANNOT. WAIT. :mrgreen:
Posted December 2nd 2011, 7:29pm
epicFades wrote:...other suggestions?

Skip breakfast.
Posted December 2nd 2011, 7:45pm
epicFades wrote:Going to Uncle John's for the first time tomorrow, after having lived here for going on 4 years now....

Planning on doing the links/tips/chicken combo with sauce on the side, unless anyone wants to chip in other suggestions?

Chicken?
Ask Mack if the spares are good. Get more smoked pork, and less chicken (do they offer smoked chix, or just fried?) Also, if you like heat, get some of his hot bbq sauce on the side too. It's usually pretty gruffly hot for my tastes, but when mixed with the regular, it smooths it out nicely.

Dammit, it's been too long since I was there.

We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
Posted December 2nd 2011, 9:18pm
tapler wrote:
epicFades wrote:...other suggestions?

Skip breakfast.

No doubt.

seebee wrote:
epicFades wrote:Going to Uncle John's for the first time tomorrow, after having lived here for going on 4 years now....

Chicken?
Ask Mack if the spares are good. Get more smoked pork, and less chicken (do they offer smoked chix, or just fried?) Also, if you like heat, get some of his hot bbq sauce on the side too. It's usually pretty gruffly hot for my tastes, but when mixed with the regular, it smooths it out nicely.

Dammit, it's been too long since I was there.

I like that mixing of the sauces idea.

Pitmaster Emeritus
Web
Posted February 27th 2012, 10:46am
A picture may be worth a thousand words, but its hard to talk with your mouth full of Uncle John's BBQ.

Low & Slow
Posted May 10th 2012, 9:13pm
I'll be on the south side tomorrow ( at the U of C ) and want to take advantage. I'm going to pick up from Uncle John's, and can't quite decide. I really like both the ribs and the hot links, so I think it's either 2 rib tip combos or a slab of ribs + one lrg. link. Any recommendations on which is a better value/gamble for for transport to Oak Park? If it matters, I'll likely be picking up around 2pm.
Posted May 10th 2012, 9:23pm
Sorry to reply to my own post, butnI realized I forgot a wider question. Is there anywhere else I should be sure to visit in the area? I know about the apple fritters, but the distance and time constraints make them an unappealing gamble. I'm basically free starting in Hyde Park at 2pm and need to be back in Pak Park at 4pm - how would you spend those 2 hours?
Posted May 10th 2012, 9:39pm
To quote a wise bbq life coach, "Large tip-link combo, sauce on the side". As much as I love ribs, I just think their tips are better, and more representative of what UJs does best. As far as other places in the area, Barbara Ann's is pretty close by, you can taste them against each other.

In terms of things to see and do, I think Hyde Park probably has much more of a selection of places to visit with U of C, and the Museums located there.
Home Cookin'

Online Information