LTH Home

Eleven City Diner - Open

Eleven City Diner - Open
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - January 31st, 2009, 1:45 am
    Post #61 - January 31st, 2009, 1:45 am Post #61 - January 31st, 2009, 1:45 am
    Everything (and I mean everything!) is 2-3$ more expensive than it should be, however I dare anyone to find a better milkshake or malt in this city!
    I'm not picky, I just have more tastebuds than you... ; )
  • Post #62 - January 31st, 2009, 6:01 am
    Post #62 - January 31st, 2009, 6:01 am Post #62 - January 31st, 2009, 6:01 am
    FoodSnob77 wrote:Everything (and I mean everything!) is 2-3$ more expensive than it should be, however I dare anyone to find a better milkshake or malt in this city!

Have you been to GNR Brown Sack or GNR Top Notch Beefburgers? Both have excellent milkshakes that, I venture to say, are as good (or better) and much cheaper than 11 City; plus both of those places deserve your business.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #63 - January 31st, 2009, 5:30 pm
    Post #63 - January 31st, 2009, 5:30 pm Post #63 - January 31st, 2009, 5:30 pm
    Yes, the brown sack milkshakes/malts are great, but at 11 they give you a huge VASE to clog your arteries with all the milky goodness of their malts/milkshakes as well as the mixer cup, so although expensive, it's like getting double the amount if you can stomach that amount.
    I'm not picky, I just have more tastebuds than you... ; )
  • Post #64 - January 31st, 2009, 11:05 pm
    Post #64 - January 31st, 2009, 11:05 pm Post #64 - January 31st, 2009, 11:05 pm
    stevez wrote:Have you been to GNR Brown Sack or GNR Top Notch Beefburgers? Both have excellent milkshakes that, I venture to day, are as good (or better) and much cheaper than 11 City; plus both of those places deserve your business.

Brown Sack's milkshake definitely brings all the boys to the yard, but Top Notch's has a fakey chemical vanilla taste that I just can't get behind.
  • Post #65 - February 2nd, 2015, 7:11 pm
    Post #65 - February 2nd, 2015, 7:11 pm Post #65 - February 2nd, 2015, 7:11 pm
    Manny's turned out to be closed this morning, so a friend and I headed to Eleven City Diner for a nice brunch. Corned beef and pastrami hash; eggs over easy, onion bagel with cream cheese, and good coffee. Mmm good. Very good.
  • Post #66 - October 25th, 2017, 5:50 pm
    Post #66 - October 25th, 2017, 5:50 pm Post #66 - October 25th, 2017, 5:50 pm
    I was staying at the Hilton on Michigan Ave for a few days this week while my better half attended a conference. I ended up going here for a quick breakfast sandwich and hash browns (loved both) on Monday and then today for lunch. I had the Schwartzy - a lightly smoked brisket sandwich with au jus for dipping and fries. It was really good. Count me as a fan of the Eleven City Diner. More to try next time.
  • Post #67 - October 26th, 2017, 6:58 am
    Post #67 - October 26th, 2017, 6:58 am Post #67 - October 26th, 2017, 6:58 am
    Ram4 wrote: I had the Schwartzy - a lightly smoked brisket sandwich with au jus for dipping and fries. It was really good. Count me as a fan of the Eleven City Diner. More to try next time.
    good to know, I was just chatting with a client who I bumped into at Kaufmans deli re: lack of good delis in Chicago, he suggested Eleven City. I wasn't a fan but it has been years since I've been, time to try again.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #68 - October 26th, 2017, 9:36 am
    Post #68 - October 26th, 2017, 9:36 am Post #68 - October 26th, 2017, 9:36 am
    Sweet Willie wrote:
    Ram4 wrote: I had the Schwartzy - a lightly smoked brisket sandwich with au jus for dipping and fries. It was really good. Count me as a fan of the Eleven City Diner. More to try next time.
    good to know, I was just chatting with a client who I bumped into at Kaufmans deli re: lack of good delis in Chicago, he suggested Eleven City. I wasn't a fan but it has been years since I've been, time to try again.

Same here, but for me, it was the obnoxious owner that turned me off more than the food. I still remember the patty melt as being particularly good. The corned beef, etc. pretty average, IIRC.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #69 - October 26th, 2017, 10:31 am
    Post #69 - October 26th, 2017, 10:31 am Post #69 - October 26th, 2017, 10:31 am
    stevez wrote:
    Sweet Willie wrote:

Same here, but for me, it was the obnoxious owner that turned me off more than the food. I still remember the patty melt as being particularly good. The corned beef, etc. pretty average, IIRC.

FWIW, on the several times I've been to the original location (and a few to the Lincoln Park location), I've never witnessed the owner being obnoxious. Don't misunderstand me to be questioning your observations! I know that you (and perhaps others) saw what you saw. I'm just entering a data point to establish that "owner being obnoxious" is by no means a fixture that one will encounter at the restaurant, since I never have.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #70 - October 26th, 2017, 12:52 pm
    Post #70 - October 26th, 2017, 12:52 pm Post #70 - October 26th, 2017, 12:52 pm
    riddlemay wrote:FWIW, on the several times I've been to the original location (and a few to the Lincoln Park location), I've never witnessed the owner being obnoxious. Don't misunderstand me to be questioning your observations! I know that you (and perhaps others) saw what you saw. I'm just entering a data point to establish that "owner being obnoxious" is by no means a fixture that one will encounter at the restaurant, since I never have.

Maybe he's learned to tone down the shtick, since he does it so poorly.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #71 - October 26th, 2017, 1:09 pm
    Post #71 - October 26th, 2017, 1:09 pm Post #71 - October 26th, 2017, 1:09 pm
    They should open an Eleven City outpost here in Highland Park. They can replace Max's. I can't imagine the owner being worse than the brothers who own Max's (although one was kicked out recently).
  • Post #72 - October 26th, 2017, 8:41 pm
    Post #72 - October 26th, 2017, 8:41 pm Post #72 - October 26th, 2017, 8:41 pm
    Ram4 wrote:They should open an Eleven City outpost here in Highland Park. They can replace Max's. I can't imagine the owner being worse than the brothers who own Max's (although one was kicked out recently).

Maybe we can work a trade? I'd love a Max's in the city (and yes, the idiot brother was kicked out) and feel like Eleven City is a parody of true delis...
  • Post #73 - October 27th, 2017, 8:43 am
    Post #73 - October 27th, 2017, 8:43 am Post #73 - October 27th, 2017, 8:43 am
    blipsman wrote:
    Ram4 wrote:They should open an Eleven City outpost here in Highland Park. They can replace Max's. I can't imagine the owner being worse than the brothers who own Max's (although one was kicked out recently).

Maybe we can work a trade? I'd love a Max's in the city (and yes, the idiot brother was kicked out) and feel like Eleven City is a parody of true delis...

Max's had city location @ Lincoln&Dickens. Then sold out to some NYC deli which couldn't make it. For a long time I couldn't understand their watery soups, but I just kept trying them. Highland Park store customers are a good match for their below average stuff, but they are slowly dying.
  • Post #74 - October 27th, 2017, 9:51 am
    Post #74 - October 27th, 2017, 9:51 am Post #74 - October 27th, 2017, 9:51 am
    Lenny007 wrote:
    blipsman wrote:

Max's had city location @ Lincoln&Dickens. Then sold out to some NYC deli which couldn't make it. For a long time I couldn't understand their watery soups, but I just kept trying them. Highland Park store customers are a good match for their below average stuff, but they are slowly dying.

I seem to remember that the Lincoln Park Max's was at Belden & Clark...the exact same place that was the Eleven City location before it closed.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #75 - November 9th, 2017, 7:40 pm
    Post #75 - November 9th, 2017, 7:40 pm Post #75 - November 9th, 2017, 7:40 pm
    stevez wrote:I seem to remember that the Lincoln Park Max's was at Belden & Clark...the exact same place that was the Eleven City location before it closed.

The Lincoln Park location of Eleven City Diner was previously the Belden Deli. (Ref.)

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more