LTH Home

Silver Palm/Matchbox

Silver Palm/Matchbox
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - December 4th, 2010, 5:42 pm
    Post #31 - December 4th, 2010, 5:42 pm Post #31 - December 4th, 2010, 5:42 pm
    Finally tackled the 3LP's last night. I've been patronizing MB/SP for years, but never found occasion to subject myself to such levels of gluttony. I had a few reasons to celebrate last night, so the cholesterol bomb that is this sandwich seemed appropriate. Oddly my favorite part of the sandwich was the bun, sturdy enough to grapple all that meat while maintaining a buttery flakiness. My biggest complaint was the off kilter ratio of the meats, the ham excessively dominating. Its okay ham, but the pound of it or so on the sandwich was a salt overload. Eventually, I removed a few layers of it, which greatly improved the balance. The cutlet got lost in the shuffle, even though it and the onion ring were pretty dang oily. The bacon was fried crisp and was not evenly distributed throughout the sandwich. I almost called it quits about 2/3 of the way but then I hit a bacon pocket, which was the best moment of the sandwich- I had to keep going. The egg was fried perfectly over easy and the yolk helped the many elements gel together. And in the end the experience of the sandwich was much like an oversized breakfast sandwich. In this sense I would compare it to the sublime egg, ham, and cheese breakfast sandwich I had at Patty's a few weeks ago which was certainly not missing pork cutlet, onion rings, and bacon (well maybe a little bacon would have been nice). And as far as everything-but-the-kitchen-sink meat bomb sandwiches go, the cemita atomica at Cemitas Puebla wears the crown for best in class in this town. I could see the elements of the 3LP being more carefully assembled and adding up to a more harmonious outcome. So would I eat the 3LP's again, probably not, but it did evoke a primal satisfaction of being a naughty piggy. I'm proud to have this feat under my (constricting) belt. Biggest problem was that I was too full to enjoy the expertly mixed Manhattans and Mai Tais going around my table!
  • Post #32 - September 17th, 2018, 5:26 pm
    Post #32 - September 17th, 2018, 5:26 pm Post #32 - September 17th, 2018, 5:26 pm
    The Silver Palm, the restaurant that’s spent 16 years inside that chrome railcar on the southeast corner of Milwaukee, Chicago, and Ogden, is closing at the end of the month.

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/9/17/178 ... ittle-pigs
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more