LTH Home

You've got to sink your teeth into Katy's Dumplings! [long]

You've got to sink your teeth into Katy's Dumplings! [long]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 21 of 26
  • Post #601 - July 19th, 2017, 5:18 am
    Post #601 - July 19th, 2017, 5:18 am Post #601 - July 19th, 2017, 5:18 am
    I had lunch ate the "new" Katy's in Westmont yesterday.

interior.jpg Redone Interior

Although it looks different and all spiffed up, the staff (including the chef) are all the same people as before. I was dining solo, so my ordering power was limited. I can report that my stir fried onion pancake with pork was as good as ever.

psncake.jpg Onion Pancake with Pork

When I asked about Mr. Red Shirt, all they would say is that he retired. I didn't ask about Oak Park, since I only frequent the Westmont location.
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #602 - July 19th, 2017, 3:07 pm
    Post #602 - July 19th, 2017, 3:07 pm Post #602 - July 19th, 2017, 3:07 pm
    stevez wrote:I had lunch ate the "new" Katy's in Westmont yesterday.

interior.jpg

Although it looks different and all spiffed up, the staff (including the chef) are all the same people as before. I was dining solo, so my ordering power was limited. I can report that my stir fried onion pancake with pork was as good as ever.

psncake.jpg

When I asked about Mr. Red Shirt, all they would say is that he retired. I didn't ask about Oak Park, since I only frequent the Westmont location.

Was Katy there? (I'm pretty sure she's the woman that always waits tables.) I've noticed its her name on the business license too.
  • Post #603 - July 19th, 2017, 4:28 pm
    Post #603 - July 19th, 2017, 4:28 pm Post #603 - July 19th, 2017, 4:28 pm
    Jefe wrote:
    Was Katy there? (I'm pretty sure she's the woman that always waits tables.) I've noticed its her name on the business license too.

If you mean the tall, skinny woman with long hair who has worked there since the begining, no she was not there. If you mean the shorter, somewhat stocky woman, who worked in Naperville, then Oak Park and finally Westmont (but I don't think her name is Katy), then yes. She is still there.

There was another woman, who I had never seen before, that was also there and acting like a boss. She might be the new owner.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #604 - August 4th, 2017, 9:38 am
    Post #604 - August 4th, 2017, 9:38 am Post #604 - August 4th, 2017, 9:38 am
    stevez wrote:
    Jefe wrote:

If you mean the tall, skinny woman with long hair who has worked there since the begining, no she was not there. If you mean the shorter, somewhat stocky woman, who worked in Naperville, then Oak Park and finally Westmont (but I don't think her name is Katy), then yes. She is still there.

There was another woman, who I had never seen before, that was also there and acting like a boss. She might be the new owner.

I'm not sure if the shorter woman is Katy (I have assumed so.) Anyhow, she and I are friendly. I stopped by yesterday for the first time since the remodel. I asked her if the ownership had changed and she retorted "nah, just a new paint job." Same old cook doing his graceful dance. Pancake, Szechaun noodles, potstickers all good as ever. Case still stocked with chile oil drenched curiosities and bargain sacks of frozen dumplings still available. And the chalkboard paint job is cute, I think.
  • Post #605 - August 4th, 2017, 10:28 am
    Post #605 - August 4th, 2017, 10:28 am Post #605 - August 4th, 2017, 10:28 am
    Right, the eponymous Katy is the shorter of the two. The taller one is a waitress whose English name is Lisa.
  • Post #606 - August 12th, 2017, 9:05 pm
    Post #606 - August 12th, 2017, 9:05 pm Post #606 - August 12th, 2017, 9:05 pm
    We went to the Oak Park location tonight and I'm sorry to say that there are new owners there as well. They seem to be different than the one's at Westmont and things are not the same. We were first worried when we were told they no longer carry frozen dumplings. Then we ordered steamed dumplings and they were about 1/2 the size of the old ones and way less flavorful. Then we ordered shredded pancake - our favorite thing there. When it arrived, it was TOTALLY different. It was stir fried noodles (no layered pancake) - had shrimp and crab in it. We called the waiter over and said that they gave us the wrong dish and that this was stir fried noodles. They took the dish back to the chef who said no, it was pancake. They showed us a raw noodle that was smaller than the noodles in the dish to prove it wasn't stir fried noodles but was pancake. When we said we've ordered the pancake dozens of times and this wasn't it, they said there's a new owner and things are different. I live in the city so driving to Oak Park was so much easier than driving to Westmont, but it seems like that's the only option now.
  • Post #607 - August 12th, 2017, 9:24 pm
    Post #607 - August 12th, 2017, 9:24 pm Post #607 - August 12th, 2017, 9:24 pm
    We took an out of town friend there last night and had pretty much the same experience. We felt very bad for the server, it was her first day and it appears that the POS and the menu do not match. Several items were not found. They could not provide hand pulled noodles even after several inquiries. When she did ask about crispy mayo shrimp and Szechuan fish, she was berated by the owner harshly. I consider that a failure of leadership and lack of training so we made sure to tip her well.

With Katy's Oak Park and Bite of Szechuan both under new and inferior guidance in the kitchen it is obvious our brief time of good Szechuan food on the N side is done:(
  • Post #608 - August 12th, 2017, 9:29 pm
    Post #608 - August 12th, 2017, 9:29 pm Post #608 - August 12th, 2017, 9:29 pm
    We felt very bad for the server, it was her first day and it appears that the POS and the menu do not match.

Our server also said it was his first day! Clearly they're just starting from scratch and pretending to still be Katy's. So sad.
  • Post #609 - August 13th, 2017, 10:34 am
    Post #609 - August 13th, 2017, 10:34 am Post #609 - August 13th, 2017, 10:34 am
    I'm glad to hear about the Westmont location and that my favorite dish is the same but not so encouraged to hear about Oak Park as I frequent both. Will stick to Westmont now.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #610 - August 13th, 2017, 7:54 pm
    Post #610 - August 13th, 2017, 7:54 pm Post #610 - August 13th, 2017, 7:54 pm
    I have not posted about my last visit to OP location two weeks ago, hoping it was another off night. Pot stickers were horrific, cheap, standard issue, garbage Chinese take out version. Filling was SWEET. GAG. Pancake was just stir fried (non homemade) noodle. Everything was off. Three chili chicken was in syrupy goo, like someone had no idea what it was, so they jut slopped out orange chicken instead. I kept telling myself...one more chance is all they get from me... Sad. Very Sad. I'll MAYBE give them one more chance, but the last showing was pretty awful. Whoever was in the kitchen was not good, and the past two visits netted standard issue noodles, definitely not homemade. Not venting here. Just very, very, saddened. Maybe they just couldn't make it work for whatever reason, and had to let go, but something's not right in Oak Park.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #611 - August 14th, 2017, 1:52 pm
    Post #611 - August 14th, 2017, 1:52 pm Post #611 - August 14th, 2017, 1:52 pm
    That is really sad as I live in Oak Park and really loved the place. Where to now?
    "Very good... but not my favorite." ~ Johnny Depp as Roux the Gypsy in Chocolat
  • Post #612 - August 14th, 2017, 2:01 pm
    Post #612 - August 14th, 2017, 2:01 pm Post #612 - August 14th, 2017, 2:01 pm
    Panther in the Den wrote:That is really sad as I live in Oak Park and really loved the place. Where to now?

Although I live closer to Oak Park than Westmont in actual distance, in reality, it takes me the same amount of time to get to either location from my house. After sampling Oak Park's wares a few times, I cut them out of the picture and have been exclusively going to Westmont. I've always felt that Westmont was a least two notches better than Oak Park, even on OP's best day. Now that this change has come about, OP is completely dead to me.

I'd suggest following my footsteps and simply heading to the Westmont location.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #613 - August 14th, 2017, 2:54 pm
    Post #613 - August 14th, 2017, 2:54 pm Post #613 - August 14th, 2017, 2:54 pm
    I'd sacrifice my eldest son to have a Katy's as close to me in north Evanston as Westmont is to Oak Park. The pancake/noodle/dumpling greatness described in this thread twists a knife in those of us in the Central St/Green Bay Rd area. There's just no quick route! 45 minutes each way, even in mythical no-traffic conditions.
  • Post #614 - August 14th, 2017, 4:50 pm
    Post #614 - August 14th, 2017, 4:50 pm Post #614 - August 14th, 2017, 4:50 pm
    stevez wrote:
    Panther in the Den wrote:That is really sad as I live in Oak Park and really loved the place. Where to now?

Although I live closer to Oak Park than Westmont in actual distance, in reality, it takes me the same amount of time to get to either location from my house. After sampling Oak Park's wares a few times, I cut them out of the picture and have been exclusively going to Westmont. I've always felt that Westmont was a least two notches better than Oak Park, even on OP's best day. Now that this change has come about, OP is completely dead to me.

I'd suggest following my footsteps and simply heading to the Westmont location.

I will. Before the Oak Park location opened I would make the pilgrimage to Westmont.

After reading upthread it almost seems as there are two separate owners driving the two restaurants. A little odd with them both turning over at the same time but great to hear.

Thanks!
  • Post #615 - August 14th, 2017, 8:49 pm
    Post #615 - August 14th, 2017, 8:49 pm Post #615 - August 14th, 2017, 8:49 pm
    This sucks but may mean a Katys/Hanbun doubleheader in Westmont is in my future!
  • Post #616 - August 15th, 2017, 7:42 am
    Post #616 - August 15th, 2017, 7:42 am Post #616 - August 15th, 2017, 7:42 am
    Yeah, right back where we started from, pilgrimage to Westmont.
  • Post #617 - August 15th, 2017, 7:46 am
    Post #617 - August 15th, 2017, 7:46 am Post #617 - August 15th, 2017, 7:46 am
    Does the Katy's in Westmont have some of my favorites from the Oak Park location? For example, dry chili chicken or tofu, cumin lamb, three chili fish? When I swnug by there for lunch a few weeks ago - and had an excellent stir fried pancake - the menu I was given seemed extremely limited. But maybe you can order "off menu"?
  • Post #618 - August 15th, 2017, 8:35 am
    Post #618 - August 15th, 2017, 8:35 am Post #618 - August 15th, 2017, 8:35 am
    bobbywal wrote:Does the Katy's in Westmont have some of my favorites from the Oak Park location? For example, dry chili chicken or tofu, cumin lamb, three chili fish? When I swnug by there for lunch a few weeks ago - and had an excellent stir fried pancake - the menu I was given seemed extremely limited. But maybe you can order "off menu"?

No. Those dishes were never on the menu in Westmont. I think they ended up on the OP menu because they were inherited from the restaurant that was at that location before Katy's took over. Westmont specializes in dishes made with noodles (soups & stir frys) and dumplings. They also have a few American/Chinese dishes to satisfy non-initiated eaters and a bunch of cold items in the fridge.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #619 - August 15th, 2017, 8:43 am
    Post #619 - August 15th, 2017, 8:43 am Post #619 - August 15th, 2017, 8:43 am
    stevez wrote:No. Those dishes were never on the menu in Westmont. I think they ended up on the OP menu because they were inherited from the restaurant that was at that location before Katy's took over. Westmont specializes in dishes made with noodles (soups & stir frys) and dumplings. They also have a few American/Chinese dishes to satisfy non-initiated eaters and a bunch of cold items in the fridge.

Darn. That'd be a bummer if the new owners in Oak Park cannot pull them off. They were some of the best versions I've had of those - including their eggplant and their green beans. Better than versions from Mapo (Naperville) and Szechuan House (Aurora) which are regular lunch spots for me.
  • Post #620 - August 15th, 2017, 8:54 am
    Post #620 - August 15th, 2017, 8:54 am Post #620 - August 15th, 2017, 8:54 am
    bobbywal wrote:
    stevez wrote:No. Those dishes were never on the menu in Westmont. I think they ended up on the OP menu because they were inherited from the restaurant that was at that location before Katy's took over. Westmont specializes in dishes made with noodles (soups & stir frys) and dumplings. They also have a few American/Chinese dishes to satisfy non-initiated eaters and a bunch of cold items in the fridge.

Darn. That'd be a bummer if the new owners in Oak Park cannot pull them off. They were some of the best versions I've had of those - including their eggplant and their green beans. Better than versions from Mapo (Naperville) and Szechuan House (Aurora) which are regular lunch spots for me.

Eggplant, in some form, might be on the Westmont menu. I'm not sure if it's the same dish they served in OP, cause I've never ordered it.
    Steve Z.

― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #621 - October 15th, 2017, 4:44 pm
    Post #621 - October 15th, 2017, 4:44 pm Post #621 - October 15th, 2017, 4:44 pm
    Katy's in Westmont today

Chicken Fried Noodle, beef/scallion dumplings, pork/chive dumplings - all hit the spot and as good as ever
  • Post #622 - November 9th, 2017, 9:03 pm
    Post #622 - November 9th, 2017, 9:03 pm Post #622 - November 9th, 2017, 9:03 pm
    Westmont location this evening. Dan Dan noodles tasty, not a lot of ma la going on.

Pork/Chive dumplings very bland flavor, also far little pork/chive mixture, easily pass on these next time.

Tried a new item, chicken roll in fried bean curd. Tasty, server stated there was some fish "a very small amount" in the roll as well.

Lots of sodium or msg also, I'm parched despite staying well hydrated throughout the day.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #623 - November 10th, 2017, 11:57 am
    Post #623 - November 10th, 2017, 11:57 am Post #623 - November 10th, 2017, 11:57 am
    ... and I thought Westmont might of been able to keep up the tradition. :(

This really sucks.

Sweet Willie wrote:Westmont location this evening. Dan Dan noodles tasty, not a lot of ma la going on.

Pork/Chive dumplings very bland flavor, also far little pork/chive mixture, easily pass on these next time.

Tried a new item, chicken roll in fried bean curd. Tasty, server stated there was some fish "a very small amount" in the roll as well.

Lots of sodium or msg also, I'm parched despite staying well hydrated throughout the day.
  • Post #624 - November 10th, 2017, 12:14 pm
    Post #624 - November 10th, 2017, 12:14 pm Post #624 - November 10th, 2017, 12:14 pm
    I've been in there a few times since the remodel/ seeming retirement of Mr. Red Shirt and haven't noticed much of a change to the food. I saw the same old chef there on Wed.

I have had bowls of the dan dan in the past that had the tongue-to-battery effect, even overwhelmingly so. The last bowl I had a few months ago had perfectly balanced ma and la (and remains a favorite dish anywhere).

A bad day perhaps? My most recent frozen sack of 50 pork & chive was on point too.

My beef noodle the other day clocked in at B grade like it always does- broth just a tad thin, beef in need of another 30 minutes of rendering, but still the best rendition in town with those noodles tho.
  • Post #625 - November 10th, 2017, 1:06 pm
    Post #625 - November 10th, 2017, 1:06 pm Post #625 - November 10th, 2017, 1:06 pm
    I remain a big fan of Katy's and like (but don't love) the dan dan noodles. I prefer less soupy versions. Also, I've never experienced very much in the way of Szechuan peppercorns in their version. Maybe that's just my luck. Still, the pancake noodles are my favorite item there and the XLB are probably my favorites in the Chicago area.
  • Post #626 - November 10th, 2017, 1:17 pm
    Post #626 - November 10th, 2017, 1:17 pm Post #626 - November 10th, 2017, 1:17 pm
    BR wrote: Still, the pancake noodles are my favorite item there and the XLB are probably my favorites in the Chicago area.

I agree - I haven't seen any downturn in these dishes and in general, nothing is keeping me away.

I used to get the szechuan cold noodles, but the amount of szechuan peppercorns became overwhelming for me about 2-3 years ago and don't get them anymore. Tongue-to-battery is an apt description.
  • Post #627 - November 10th, 2017, 1:22 pm
    Post #627 - November 10th, 2017, 1:22 pm Post #627 - November 10th, 2017, 1:22 pm
    Made a stop here recently and they are still great as ever in my book. As I was chowing down on my plate of noodles, a customer came in and noted that there was no tea smoked chicken in the fridge. No problem, the kitchen smoked a chicken to order in about ten minutes. You can do that?? I got one to go and it was awesome. Freshly smoked is definitely the way to go. On my must-order list for future trips.
  • Post #628 - November 10th, 2017, 2:59 pm
    Post #628 - November 10th, 2017, 2:59 pm Post #628 - November 10th, 2017, 2:59 pm
    turkob wrote:Made a stop here recently and they are still great as ever in my book. As I was chowing down on my plate of noodles, a customer came in and noted that there was no tea smoked chicken in the fridge. No problem, the kitchen smoked a chicken to order in about ten minutes. You can do that?? I got one to go and it was awesome. Freshly smoked is definitely the way to go. On my must-order list for future trips.

I believe tea is thrown into a dry hot wok to smolder with the meat suspended above on a rack. Maybe the meat was pre-smoked, then deep fried?

I've only seen that fresh on the counter once or twice, need to try. I've never had their xlb either!
  • Post #629 - November 10th, 2017, 3:04 pm
    Post #629 - November 10th, 2017, 3:04 pm Post #629 - November 10th, 2017, 3:04 pm
    Anyone been to the oak park location recently? Is it even worth stopping in??
  • Post #630 - November 10th, 2017, 3:38 pm
    Post #630 - November 10th, 2017, 3:38 pm Post #630 - November 10th, 2017, 3:38 pm
    The chicken wasn't hot when it came out. I figured it was pre-cooked then smoked to order. They probably use lots of pre-cooked chicken in the kitchen for their various cold dishes.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more