LTH Home

My Pilgramage to Wonderburger

My Pilgramage to Wonderburger
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • My Pilgramage to Wonderburger

Post #1 - January 8th, 2006, 10:13 am
    Post #1 - January 8th, 2006, 10:13 am Post #1 - January 8th, 2006, 10:13 am
    Compelled by ReneG's tableau de burger, I made the long drive to Mt. Greenwood to visit Wonderburger. Like a visit to the weeping Madonna beneath the bridge on Fullerton, it was interesting but not as rewarding as the images presented in the media would suggest.

Wonderburger Basket

This is a very good example of Mike G.’s fabled 30’s style hamburger. In true depression era fashion, you only get ½ slice of cheese on the slightly dryer-than-you-would-expect burger. Although the burger looked thick and juicy in ReneG’s picture, it’s actually quite thin; with the sandwich being fortified with quite a bit of shredded lettuce and “wonder sauce” (which, as ReneG pointed out is very similar to Heinz Chili Sauce…except home made and actually quite tasty).

Side View of a Wonderburger

The burger is good enough, but the real stars of the show are the curly cut fries. They are fresh cut, skin on fries of the skinny school of fry. Wonderburger has a full time employee whose entire job is to operate the hand cranked, 50’s era curly fry maker. They go through a bin like this every 20 minutes or so on a moderately busy Saturday afternoon.

Bin of Curly Fries

As ReneG suggested, the shakes and malts are made with soft-serve, so I steered clear, instead ordering a coke to accompany my Wonderburger. This puts a lunch at Wonderburger solidly in the “Lunch Under $5” category.

My Bill

Wonderburger Grill
    11045 S. Kedzie
    Chicago, IL
    773-238-7200
    Steve Z.

“Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #2 - January 8th, 2006, 1:56 pm
    Post #2 - January 8th, 2006, 1:56 pm Post #2 - January 8th, 2006, 1:56 pm
    I've had some very good burgers from here. Unfortunately, I've noticed the burgers haven't been as good lately. They used to be very consistent. I've also noticed they've rescinded their claim of inventing curly fires.
  • Post #3 - March 6th, 2014, 1:19 pm
    Post #3 - March 6th, 2014, 1:19 pm Post #3 - March 6th, 2014, 1:19 pm
    Mt. Greenwood Residents Heartbroken over Closing of 'Wonderburger'
    The most famous burger joint in Mount Greenwood is now closed.

Grant's Wonderburger owners announced Tuesday their decision to shutter the 60-year-old business.

"It has been an emotional few months for our family and we will miss this place dearly! We cannot thank our customers, family, and friends enough for all the love and support you have given us throughout the years," wrote the owners on the restaurant's Facebook page.

Owned by the Grant family, the Mount Greenwood burger joint first opened in 1954 and was closed briefly on Dec. 31 as the owners made a deal to sell the restaurant. But that deal fell through, and Wonderburger bounced right back into business Jan. 9—deciding to stay open while still up for sale.

"It's a sign Wonderburger!" wrote one Patch commenter. "Please don't leave us!"

Despite the reopening, customers' relief was short-lived, as the owners announced its closure this week. Loyal customers expressed appreciation and love for the local favorite.
  • Post #4 - July 12th, 2018, 7:00 am
    Post #4 - July 12th, 2018, 7:00 am Post #4 - July 12th, 2018, 7:00 am
    Grant’s Wonderburger, a Southwest Side institution that closed in 2014 after 60 years in business, is coming back. New owner Mike Grant, the son of original owner Alfred “Bill” Grant, plans to reopen the burger icon in late fall near its original location at 3333 W. 111th Street

https://chicago.eater.com/2018/7/11/175 ... ning-intel
    "At a formal dinner party, the person nearest death should always be seated closest to the bathroom." George Carlin

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more