LTH Home

Bars of the Western World #3: Philander's/Nutbush

Bars of the Western World #3: Philander's/Nutbush
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Bars of the Western World #3: Philander's/Nutbush

Post #1 - July 3rd, 2004, 2:37 pm
    Post #1 - July 3rd, 2004, 2:37 pm Post #1 - July 3rd, 2004, 2:37 pm
    Bars of the Western World #3: Philander’s/Nutbush

Not long ago, I went to Philander’s (one of the great old bars in otherwise “dry” Oak Park) with my friend Richard, the Voice of Pork (claim to fame is that he was the voice talent that did the Pork Council's mildly lurid commercials that went something like “It’s on your mind, it’s on your plate, it’s in your mouth, it’s pork: the other white meat"). Philander’s is an excellent place to have a drink, though it’s a little over-priced (I once spent $140 dollars on four shots of 25-year old Macallan). Nonetheless, Philander’s has the notable advantages of being quiet enough for a conversation (though they frequently have live jazz) and they serve free cheese bowls and hardboiled eggs (the eggs are presented on a metallic “tree,” much admired by ReneG, and very old-timey).

After a few hours, Philander’s was closing down, but we were not. Note to self: when the Voice of Pork says, “Now let’s do the serious drinking,” it’s really time to flee for home. Leaving Philander’s, we were treading water, pondering where to go, and one of us said, “Hey, that place looks open.” Down the street from Philander’s, the glowing chartreuse awning of Nutbush.

Stumbling into the darkened drinking area, the Voice of Pork demonstrated that hours of drinking had left his powers of perception undiminished: “Hey,” he remarked, “This is a gay bar.” Indeed he was correct. We had shambled into the Nutbush on karaoke night, and the Voice of Pork jumped into action by doing a moving rendition of “Feelings” which won him the attention of all and the admiration of few (I have no idea why he made this selection; I think he felt it would be “campy”: big mistake). To regain bar cred, I offered to do “Town without Pity,” but they didn’t have it in their collection (or maybe they were just saying that). Perhaps too stereotypically, show tunes were hot that night, and I must admit that as dawn approached, a few belts of Ethel Merman added some needed energy to the evening.

Later, after several beers and many effervescent conversations, we closed down the area's only gay bar (where, incidentally, the bottle beers are just $1.25). Leaving, we got an offer for a ride home, proving conclusively that there are indeed some desperate dudes in Forest Park.

Philander’s
    1110 Pleasant Street
    Oak Park, Illinois 60302
    (708) 848-5000

Nutbush
    7201 Franklin Ave, Forest Park
    Tel: (708) 366-5117
  • Post #2 - July 6th, 2004, 4:40 pm
    Post #2 - July 6th, 2004, 4:40 pm Post #2 - July 6th, 2004, 4:40 pm
    Philanders also makes a good stoli martini, and its a reasonable $6 from what I remember several months ago.
    A few of our neighborhood faves in that area are Circle Inn - on circle and whatever that street that Goldy's is on. A great local bar, with its own regular postman a la cheers and other characters. Great bartender, pool table, dart board and live music some nights.
    The Beacon further west on that same Goldy's street is great as well. Some pretty cool airline/flying paraphanelia, decent beer selection, darts, good jukebox, friendly neighborhood atmosphere.
    and of course goldy's - even if you don't want a burger, its a fine place to have a drink....sorry for the continuing plug - I just love that place.
    I just hope these places stay that way.
    LO
  • Post #3 - July 6th, 2004, 5:52 pm
    Post #3 - July 6th, 2004, 5:52 pm Post #3 - July 6th, 2004, 5:52 pm
    LO,

I like Goldy's too; it has an authentic feeling, and the wait staff is usually friendly.

Never been to Beacon, but I'll give it a shot on your rec.

Hammond
  • Post #4 - July 6th, 2004, 7:51 pm
    Post #4 - July 6th, 2004, 7:51 pm Post #4 - July 6th, 2004, 7:51 pm
    David Hammond wrote:[b][color=green]Bars of the Western World #3: PhilanderBars of the Western World #3: Philander�s/Nutbush

"Hey," he remarked, "This is a gay bar."

David,

As he said this, did the whole bar become dead silent and did everyone turn to look at the two of you?
  • Post #5 - July 11th, 2004, 11:23 pm
    Post #5 - July 11th, 2004, 11:23 pm Post #5 - July 11th, 2004, 11:23 pm
    May I take this opportunity to chime in and announce that Farragut's Pub on Clark has Great Lakes Porter on tap for the insane price of $1.50 per pint? This brown-eyed lass has a deep choclatey aftertaste deserving of the finest belgian chocolates. Ok, ok, I'm pretty tanked as I type this but it's an amiable weakness. I find myself middle-aged and reduced to the three greatest weaknesses of middle-age: (1) buying lottery tickets, (2) conniving for a seat on the early a.m. Red line, and (3) rooting for the Cubs. Lost causes, each and every one. But at least, the last has had the unexpected virtue (serendipity!) of introducing me to the caramel toasty-goodness of Great Lakes' Porter. Imbibe one today! You won't be sorry...
  • Post #6 - July 12th, 2004, 11:03 pm
    Post #6 - July 12th, 2004, 11:03 pm Post #6 - July 12th, 2004, 11:03 pm
    Titus,

The buck-fifty Great Lakes Porter sounds great - the kind of beverage I'd like to have with, say, a cheddar, and some slightly sweet wheat crackers.

Do you know, though, if Farragut's Pub has a karaoke night?
  • Post #7 - July 13th, 2004, 8:21 am
    Post #7 - July 13th, 2004, 8:21 am Post #7 - July 13th, 2004, 8:21 am
    Being from, amongst other places, Akron, Ohio, i proclaim Great Lakes Beer the greatest brewery in the country, with an estimable second-place nod towards Bells. caveat: the Dortmunder Gold lager is average, so don't judge by that.
  • Post #8 - July 13th, 2004, 12:12 pm
    Post #8 - July 13th, 2004, 12:12 pm Post #8 - July 13th, 2004, 12:12 pm
    ParkerS wrote:Being from, amongst other places, Akron, Ohio, i proclaim Great Lakes Beer the greatest brewery in the country <snip>

That certainly qualifies as a ringing endorsement. David, thanks for the reco of cheddar and wheat crackers -- I can't pair food and wine worth a damn. Since they let you bring food into Farragut's, I'm going to have to try that, since I haven't espied Great Lakes on the liquor shelves at Jewel. As it is, I plan to be spending a lot of time there after the All-Star break as (i) I don't have cable and (ii) the Cubbies are basically playing every single day. I'll be catching the night games there anyway with a couple of lamb kabob/baba ghanouj/falafel wraps from Taste of Lebanon down the street. Or a coupla banh mi or fried chicken lunchboxes from BaLe. Yes, that's probably a ghastly pairing with porter, but I'm weak and stingy.

As for karaoke, I'm think it no longer has a presence on that stretch of Clark, more's the pity. The only place that offered it was replaced by @mosphere a few years back and exists solely in my memory as"That No Name Bar." They might have karaoke at Madrigal's but I'm not sure. After your experience at Nutbush, you might try your luck there.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more