LTH Home

Some Riches @ Ghareeb Nawaz [pics]

Some Riches @ Ghareeb Nawaz [pics]
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - February 11th, 2013, 1:39 pm
    Post #61 - February 11th, 2013, 1:39 pm Post #61 - February 11th, 2013, 1:39 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Here, we just decided to go with what we thought was the craziest item on the menu. It tasted fine but the texture was a bit spongy and the temperature was a bit cool.

    I've sworn off Ghareeb Nawaz for consistently unappealing service temperatures, which this reinforces. The food is delicious enough to have me crave it, though - the Mirchi Ka Salan looks fantastic.
  • Post #62 - February 11th, 2013, 2:08 pm
    Post #62 - February 11th, 2013, 2:08 pm Post #62 - February 11th, 2013, 2:08 pm
    Santander wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Here, we just decided to go with what we thought was the craziest item on the menu. It tasted fine but the texture was a bit spongy and the temperature was a bit cool.

    I've sworn off Ghareeb Nawaz for consistently unappealing service temperatures, which this reinforces. The food is delicious enough to have me crave it, though - the Mirchi Ka Salan looks fantastic.


    I have not visited Pakistan, but in Malaysia almost every Pakistani dish we ate was lukewarm. It surprised me, and it took some getting used to, but it was also some of the best food I've eating in my life! Comparatively Ghareeb isn't doing so bad. Hot or cold, Ghareeb has been one of my favorite restaurants in the city for some time now. Carryout could be a good option for you, since you can reheat it at home.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

    -Mark Twain
  • Post #63 - February 11th, 2013, 4:50 pm
    Post #63 - February 11th, 2013, 4:50 pm Post #63 - February 11th, 2013, 4:50 pm
    I love to hate and hate to love GN. The lack of consitency makes every order a bag full of surprises, but the price points are a joke. The naan is just wrong and commercial-y tasting, but I like paratha far more anyway. I'm hitting the Roosevelt location asap. I wonder if the prices are similar?
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #64 - February 11th, 2013, 10:08 pm
    Post #64 - February 11th, 2013, 10:08 pm Post #64 - February 11th, 2013, 10:08 pm
    Popped in to grab a menu on Roosevelt. Somehow, prices are exactly the same. Sw corner of Roosevelt and Halsted, set way back off the street.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #65 - February 12th, 2013, 8:26 am
    Post #65 - February 12th, 2013, 8:26 am Post #65 - February 12th, 2013, 8:26 am
    Mirchi Ka Salan
    Just a phenomenal dish.


    Looks great, that's what i'm having for lunch today for sure. I love GN....I don't know how they possibly make any money, though their volume is impressive - their prices are RIDICULOUSLY low!
    I love comfortable food, and comfortable restaurants.
    http://www.bbqsupply.com
    http://thebudlong.com
    http://denveraf.com
  • Post #66 - February 12th, 2013, 8:51 am
    Post #66 - February 12th, 2013, 8:51 am Post #66 - February 12th, 2013, 8:51 am
    Some things in life are best left undiscovered.
  • Post #67 - February 16th, 2013, 9:18 am
    Post #67 - February 16th, 2013, 9:18 am Post #67 - February 16th, 2013, 9:18 am
    Rocked a 27.00 takeout feast from GN South. More hits than misses in this order - usually had been a 50/50 split each time at GN North, but I'm sure we just got lucky. No Nihari, no Mirchi Ka Salan here on that night. - I was a little poo pooey about that, but with prices like this, nobody should be allowed to complain. Butter chicken was a little blah (as expected,) but the chana masala, and boneless chicken biryani made up for any shortcomings with the entire order. Rocked the palak gosht, dal palak, and spicy aloo masala as well.

    Spicy aloo masala at 1.99 was big ol hunks of potato in a packaged tasting, very saucy, masala blend. I've wanted to try it at GN north, but they were always out of it when I tried to order. Tonight's version was sub-meh.

    Palak Gosht was a few bones and a few meat chunks, and a potato cube or two. I dug it.

    The chana masala was bright and popping with heat. Loved it. But I'm sure it will be different every day of the week.

    One thing that irks me is the style of their palak dishes. Always very soupy. I'm sure this might be a preferred style for some, but I like my spinach dishes more scoopable than soupy.

    Anyway, if nothing else - this will be my spot to get real paratha at buck a throw for stocking up - They might even be cheaper than a buck each. I didn't try the naan at GN south - I just assumed they were gonna be the same bisquicky tasting wrongness at the Devon spot.

    Glad this place is here
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #68 - February 24th, 2013, 12:52 am
    Post #68 - February 24th, 2013, 12:52 am Post #68 - February 24th, 2013, 12:52 am
    Image
    Haleem
    I'm not a huge fan of haleem but I liked this version a lot more than most. I was with Pigmon when he was doing research for his haleem piece in the Tribune, which is why we ordered this.


    Unlike you, Iam a big fan of Haleem - Ive tried the GN version and havent been overly impressed in the past, maybe its time to give it another go. (Haleem to me is a bit of a speciality of Hyderabad, and I personally prefer the versions at most Hyderabadi spots around town.. they arent as flavorful and are a bit too water-y for me in a lot of other places). My current fave spot for Haleem is Naan on Devon, a place with generally very nice Hyderabadi cabbie-style food - Haleem is a weekend-only special for them, and Ive picked it up a couple of times in the past 3 weeks (a $6 Haleem and a $5 Kheema makes for a fine couple of meals at home, I find).

    (All Hyderabadi places in town make Haleem every day during Ramadan, but not much otherwise - Hyderabad House had a fine version during Ramadan too, but they are apparently not making it at all currently.. they directed me to Hyderabad House Family Restaurant across the street, where it is on the menu and available every day. But during Ramadan, excellent Haleems can be found at HH, Naan on Devon, Daata Durbar etc - the 3 Hyderabadi cabbie-joints all within a block of each other on Devon).

    Image
    Mirchi Ka Salan
    Just a phenomenal dish. It's essentially a spicy, peanut-based chile curry that I first leaned about from REB. Sula also wrote about it a few months ago. At this meal, my first time trying it, it came out at the end, and we ate it mostly by itself with the paratha, but I think it would be just as enjoyable eaten as a condiment of sorts on biryani or other dishes.


    Mirchi ka salan is very much a Hyderabadi dish also - and is available at most of the Hyderabadi spots around town. It isnt always listed on the menu though.. at Hyderabad House for example, if you order a biryani, you get a very nice mirchi-ka-salan gratis for use as a condiment (exactly as you imagined eating it above - well done :-) A lot of Hyderabadi restaurants do just that - give it to you on the side for free, without making you order it. They also have it on the side on their buffets (on Fridays and weekends). It isnt nearly as hard to find as a few posts on here (and in a few Chicagoland publications!) have indicated IMHO..


    c8w
  • Post #69 - February 24th, 2013, 3:45 pm
    Post #69 - February 24th, 2013, 3:45 pm Post #69 - February 24th, 2013, 3:45 pm
    c8w wrote:...Ive tried the GN version and havent been overly impressed in the past, maybe its time to give it another go. (Haleem to me is a bit of a speciality of Hyderabad, and I personally prefer the versions at most Hyderabadi spots around town.. they arent as flavorful and are a bit too water-y for me in a lot of other places). My current fave spot for Haleem is Naan on Devon, a place with generally very nice Hyderabadi cabbie-style food - Haleem is a weekend-only special for them, and Ive picked it up a couple of times in the past 3 weeks (a $6 Haleem and a $5 Kheema makes for a fine couple of meals at home, I find).
    (All Hyderabadi places in town make Haleem every day during Ramadan, but not much otherwise - Hyderabad House had a fine version during Ramadan too, but they are apparently not making it at all currently.. they directed me to Hyderabad House Family Restaurant across the street, where it is on the menu and available every day. But during Ramadan, excellent Haleems can be found at HH, Naan on Devon, Daata Durbar etc - the 3 Hyderabadi cabbie-joints all within a block of each other on Devon).


    Thanks for the informative post, c8w.

    Having become a haleem enthusiast over the past year or so (thanks to taterdemalion for introducing me to this sensational and highly significant dish), I talked with many haleem traditionalists that seemed to struggle with any form of haleem besides the typical goat, beef, and mutton renditions historically found throughout the Subcontinent. However, from what I've gathered, lighter style haleem is becoming more and more common in the Old Countries (Pakistan, India, Bangaladesh). Even vegetarian-style haleems are being made there these days. A few other places around Devon advertise serving chicken haleem such as Pista house and, I believe, Spinzer but after several attempts, I've been unsuccessful in ever procuring any.
    Ghareeb Nawaz's version (btw, Ghareeb Nawaz is the Sufi patron saint of the poor) of chicken haleem has an extremely high ratio of lentil-to-wheat, making it more of a chicken daal than a traditional style haleem. This could definitely be a turnoff for those who have probably enjoyed the more typical elastic/rubbery/handball-esque versions of this dish. For me, I enjoy the chicken element which seems to give the overall dish a lighter (lighter?!) feel. (Please note - I'm just a Jewish haleem-lovin' neophyte and don’t have any primordial love for the dish like those who grew up eating it such as taterdemalion, who also prefers the ultra-gluttonous varieties himself. However, tatterdemalion has taken to affectionately calling me "The Ghareeb Heeb" lately. God love him!).
    GN usually makes chicken haleem every other day at their Devon location. The new UIC Roosevelt Ave location supposedly does the same but I have only been successful in procuring it one time in maybe six tries. Moral of the story - be sure to call ahead at either location to assure that they will indeed have it.

    A Hyderabadi haleem can also be found daily at Sheesh Mahal (Warning: this is not an endorsable haleem).

    Also, I was told by the owner of Hyderabad Family Dining that their version of haleem surprisingly contains no ghee due to numerous requests from their largely non-Moslem Indian clientele (Apparently, the Hyderabadis eat across the street at HH and never here).

    C8w, you stated that "Haleem to me is a bit of a speciality of Hyderabad". In fact, in 2010, Hyderabadi haleem became the first non-vegetarian Indian cuisine to be granted Geographical Indication status by the Indian GIS registry office. They definitely take their haleem seriously in those parts!

    Sheesh Mahal
    6355 N Maplewood Ave, Chicago, IL
    (773) 274-4444
  • Post #70 - February 24th, 2013, 4:56 pm
    Post #70 - February 24th, 2013, 4:56 pm Post #70 - February 24th, 2013, 4:56 pm
    PIGMON wrote:A few other places around Devon advertise serving chicken haleem such as Pista house and, I believe, Spinzer but after several attempts, I've been unsuccessful in ever procuring any.

    Don't forget chicken haleem is as close as your grocer's freezer.

    Image

    Colonel Kababz wants you to be happy.
  • Post #71 - February 24th, 2013, 8:44 pm
    Post #71 - February 24th, 2013, 8:44 pm Post #71 - February 24th, 2013, 8:44 pm
    PIGMON wrote:...lighter style haleem is becoming more and more common in the Old Countries (Pakistan, India, Bangaladesh). Even vegetarian-style haleems are being made there these days.


    :shock: :?

    'Tis true and due in large part to the increasingly health-conscious upper-middle class. Eat a salad and spare us this haleem heresy !

    PIGMON wrote:Also, I was told by the owner of Hyderabad Family Dining that their version of haleem surprisingly contains no ghee due to numerous requests from their largely non-Moslem Indian clientele (Apparently, the Hyderabadis eat across the street at HH and never here).


    To be designated official Hyderabadi haleem, according to the GI status (a questionable process), cooking in ghee is a requirement.

    I finally succumbed to The Ghareeb Heeb's insistence to try the chicken haleem which, in addition to the gyros masala, strikes me as way outta left field for Ghareeb Nawaz, an otherwise pretty textbook traditional joint, though I must confess to not having committed their vast menu to memory. Unlike Spinzer and Pista House and others that offer some more modern and quirky items (like a Juicy Lucy!), just seems a bit strange that Ghareeb Nawaz's only haleem offering is the chicken. Nevertheless, The PIGMON (aka the SOUPMON) has never steered me wrong on a bowl of anything, and I found this haleem quite enjoyable from a textural and spicing standpoint, top scores in overall integration and balance. Towards the other end of the spectrum, I would say that Daata Darbar's haleem is probably a bit more to my liking, you can roll that one into a ball with your paws.

    PIGMON wrote:...tatterdemalion, who also prefers the ultra-gluttonous varieties himself.


    I also tend to prefer the ultra-gluttons themselves. :P
  • Post #72 - March 3rd, 2013, 3:41 pm
    Post #72 - March 3rd, 2013, 3:41 pm Post #72 - March 3rd, 2013, 3:41 pm
    I had my first visit to the Devon Ghareeb Nawaz today (I've eaten at the UIC location). Thanks to the ordering power of a large group of LTH'ers, I was able to try perhaps 15 different dishes and came away very impressed. And full. I look forward to many more return visits. Thanks to RAB for organizing a great meal; to RAB, laikom and others for putting together a nice, diverse menu; and to turkob and fropones for reminding me which dish was which.
  • Post #73 - March 5th, 2013, 12:47 am
    Post #73 - March 5th, 2013, 12:47 am Post #73 - March 5th, 2013, 12:47 am
    As Darren posted above, thanks to RAB and his GNR Nomination, a bunch of us had quite a feast at Ghareeb Nawaz on Sunday morning. Here are a few pics, though, I didn't get shots of everything (dish identification assistance, details, corrections, clarifications all welcome, please) . . .

    Image
    Paratha


    Image
    Haleem (chicken)


    Image
    Kheema Biryani


    Image
    Chana Masala


    Image
    Bhendi


    Image
    Chicken Karahi


    Image
    Baghare Baigan (eggplant)


    Image
    Beef Shami


    Image
    Mirchi Ka Salan


    Image
    Nihari (beef)


    Image
    Chili Chicken


    Image
    Dal


    Image
    Chili Gosht


    Image
    Dahi Ki Kari (yogurt curry)


    Image
    Goat Paaya


    Image
    Bitter Gourd


    Image
    The Bill
    All that for under a hundo! :D

    =R=
    There's a horse loose in a hospital -- JM

    I am not interested in how I would evaluate the Springbank in a blind tasting. Every spirit has its story, and I include it in my evaluation, just as I do with human beings. --Thad Vogler

    I'll be the tastiest pork cutlet bowl ever --Yuri Katsuki

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #74 - March 5th, 2013, 1:08 am
    Post #74 - March 5th, 2013, 1:08 am Post #74 - March 5th, 2013, 1:08 am
    From memory, i believe this is a more accurate list, in order of your pictures.

      Paratha
      Chicken Haleem
      Kheema Biryani (ground beef)
      Chana Masala
      Okra (Bhendi)
      Chicken karahi
      eggplant (Baghare Baigan)
      Beef Shami
      Mirchi Ka Salan
      Nihari (beef)
      Chili Chicken
      Chili Gosht (beef)
      Dal (lentils)
      dahi ki kari (yogurt curry)
      Goat Paaya
      Bitter Gourd (Karela)

    feel free to reformat my list or apply it to your pictures and delete this post if that cleans things up.
    Part of the secret of a success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

    -Mark Twain
  • Post #75 - March 5th, 2013, 1:43 am
    Post #75 - March 5th, 2013, 1:43 am Post #75 - March 5th, 2013, 1:43 am
    laikom wrote:From memory, i believe this is a more accurate list, in order of your pictures.

      Paratha
      Chicken Haleem
      Kheema Biryani (ground beef)
      Chana Masala
      Okra (Bhendi)
      Chicken karahi
      eggplant (Baghare Baigan)
      Beef Shami
      Mirchi Ka Salan
      Nihari (beef)
      Chili Chicken
      Chili Gosht (beef)
      Dal (lentils)
      dahi ki kari (yogurt curry)
      Goat Paaya
      Bitter Gourd (Karela)

    feel free to reformat my list or apply it to your pictures and delete this post if that cleans things up.

    Thanks. I think I got it all updated/corrected.

    =R=
    There's a horse loose in a hospital -- JM

    I am not interested in how I would evaluate the Springbank in a blind tasting. Every spirit has its story, and I include it in my evaluation, just as I do with human beings. --Thad Vogler

    I'll be the tastiest pork cutlet bowl ever --Yuri Katsuki

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #76 - March 10th, 2013, 9:42 am
    Post #76 - March 10th, 2013, 9:42 am Post #76 - March 10th, 2013, 9:42 am
    Any of you have any comments about their chicken kerahi? I've never had GN's version, but I just noticed it from Ron's pic, and the bill. Usually a favorite of mine. Anyone?
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #77 - March 10th, 2013, 11:29 am
    Post #77 - March 10th, 2013, 11:29 am Post #77 - March 10th, 2013, 11:29 am
    That's a lot of food to list but not comment on.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #78 - March 10th, 2013, 1:05 pm
    Post #78 - March 10th, 2013, 1:05 pm Post #78 - March 10th, 2013, 1:05 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:That's a lot of food to list but not comment on.

    It was a Sunday morning, hung-over blur but I enjoyed most of what we ate. Almost too much to comment on. I will say, as I and others have said in the past in reference to GN, the biggest issue was the temperature of the food, which wasn't exactly hot. Of course, when you order that many dishes, lay them all out as a "buffet" on an adjacent table, take pictures and then eat, it's understandable why the temperature might not be optimal. My favorites were the Mirchi Ka Salan, the Chili Chicken, the Dal, the Bhendi, the Chicken Haleem (really enjoyed this time), the Dahi Ki Kari and the Chicken Karahi . . . none of which are in my usual rotation at GN but all of which I'd happily order again.

    =R=
    There's a horse loose in a hospital -- JM

    I am not interested in how I would evaluate the Springbank in a blind tasting. Every spirit has its story, and I include it in my evaluation, just as I do with human beings. --Thad Vogler

    I'll be the tastiest pork cutlet bowl ever --Yuri Katsuki

    That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #79 - March 17th, 2013, 4:19 pm
    Post #79 - March 17th, 2013, 4:19 pm Post #79 - March 17th, 2013, 4:19 pm
    Rene G wrote:Over in Shopping & Cooking, Tatterdemalion introduced us to hunter beef, the Pakistani version of corned beef.

    Image

    For $2.99 Ghareeb Nawaz serves a mound of shredded meat and a first-rate paratha with some yogurt and raw onion. A cheap and pleasant introduction to Pakistan's national salted meat.

    Rene G wrote:
    laikom wrote:If you guys like the hunter beef, you should try the chili gosht. It's basically a fiery version of the hunter beef. It's one of my favorites here. Yes, it is beef and not goat.

    Of the three hunter beefs I tried on Devon recently, the version at Ghareeb Nawaz was the most plain. That's not to say it's bad. The other two places griddle the meat with onions and green chilies, making a more interesting paratha/sandwich filling. Thanks for the chili gosht recommendation. I returned to Ghareeb Nawaz to try it.

    Image

    The chili version is certainly tasty. The sauce adds some welcome heat and moisture though it does obscure the hunter-ness of the meat. I liked it but thought the sharp chili paste got a little tedious midway through (I ate the generous serving by myself). It would be a great accompaniment to other dishes, especially some of the less spicy ones.

    St Patrick's Day seems like the perfect time for a hunter beef update (see tatterdemalion's Hunter Beef – A St. Paki's Day Special from a year ago). At the new Ghareeb Nawaz Express I tried the dish listed as frontier beef, presumably what goes by the name frontier gosht on Devon.

    Image

    It's simply their hunter beef with a little less chili sauce than chili gosht (pictured farther above), reminiscent of shredded pot roast with Huy Fong brand sambal oelek mixed in. This dish typifies the Ghareeb Nawaz approach of combining relatively few ingredients in different ways to make many menu items.

    Ghareeb Nawaz Express
    807 W Roosevelt Rd
    Chicago
    312-433-0123
  • Post #80 - March 21st, 2013, 10:24 pm
    Post #80 - March 21st, 2013, 10:24 pm Post #80 - March 21st, 2013, 10:24 pm
    Have always loved going to Ghareeb for takeout. Is it me or has anyone else noticed the eat in portions seem to be much larger than the take out sizes?
  • Post #81 - March 22nd, 2013, 9:52 am
    Post #81 - March 22nd, 2013, 9:52 am Post #81 - March 22nd, 2013, 9:52 am
    Rene G wrote:St Patrick's Day seems like the perfect time for a hunter beef update (see tatterdemalion's Hunter Beef – A St. Paki's Day Special from a year ago). At the new Ghareeb Nawaz Express I tried the dish listed as frontier beef, presumably what goes by the name frontier gosht on Devon.

    Image

    It's simply their hunter beef with a little less chili sauce than chili gosht (pictured farther above), reminiscent of shredded pot roast with Huy Fong brand sambal oelek mixed in. This dish typifies the Ghareeb Nawaz approach of combining relatively few ingredients in different ways to make many menu items.

    Ghareeb Nawaz Express
    807 W Roosevelt Rd
    Chicago
    312-433-0123


    I was at the original Gareeb Nawaz yesterday to deliver their GNR dinner invitation. I asked about whether they consider themselves to be an Indian or a Pakistani restaurant (answer: Yes). The owner wasn't there, so they gave me a to go menu with the phone number so I could call ahead to make sure he's there before I make another trip to deliver the invite. On the menu, it says, "We have no other branch". Their website also only lists the Devon avenue location. The University Village location only shows a facebook page as their online presence. Evidently, Gareeb Nawaz Express is owned by someone else and has no relation to the original on Devon. This is not a comment on the food, only another interesting story in the Vito & Nick's/Vito & Nick's II vein.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #82 - March 22nd, 2013, 10:20 am
    Post #82 - March 22nd, 2013, 10:20 am Post #82 - March 22nd, 2013, 10:20 am
    stevez wrote:I asked about whether they consider themselves to be an Indian or a Pakistani restaurant (answer: Yes).

    "All of the above," sounds like a reasonable answer to me.

    stevez wrote:The owner wasn't there, so they gave me a to go menu with the phone number so I could call ahead to make sure he's there before I make another trip to deliver the invite. On the menu, it says, "We have no other branch". Their website also only lists the Devon avenue location. The University Village location only shows a facebook page as their online presence. Evidently, Gareeb Nawaz Express is owned by someone else and has no relation to the original on Devon. This is not a comment on the food, only another interesting story in the Vito & Nick's/Vito & Nick's II vein.

    I think the two restaurants are directly related. As I understand it, the UIC branch is managed by the son of the owner who runs the Devon restaurant. I would guess they haven't gotten around to updating their menu and website yet. I suspect the "We have no other branch" comment on the menu is aimed at a certain suburban restaurant with a similar name.

    Earlier in this thread, Rene G wrote:Sign in Window of Ghareeb Nawaz, 2032 W Devon
    Image
    Last edited by Rene G on March 22nd, 2013, 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #83 - March 22nd, 2013, 10:25 am
    Post #83 - March 22nd, 2013, 10:25 am Post #83 - March 22nd, 2013, 10:25 am
    Rene G wrote:I suspect the "We have no other branch" comment on the menu is aimed at a certain suburban restaurant with a similar name.

    Earlier in this thread, Rene G wrote:Sign in Window of Ghareeb Nawaz, 2032 W Devon
    Image


    You're probably correct. It's odd that they felt the need to put that statement so prominently on the front of their menu. Hopefully, when I finally get to talk to the owner, I'll get the full story.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #84 - March 22nd, 2013, 12:11 pm
    Post #84 - March 22nd, 2013, 12:11 pm Post #84 - March 22nd, 2013, 12:11 pm
    While it is likely that the "we have no other branch" disclaimer is aimed at that suburban restaurant, it is also a VERY common and standard trope among resaurants in big cities in the Middle East and South Asia. Once that comes to mind is the famous Kushary Abou Tarek, on Champillon street in Cairo.
    "By the fig, the olive..." Surat Al-Teen, Mecca 95:1"
  • Post #85 - March 22nd, 2013, 4:33 pm
    Post #85 - March 22nd, 2013, 4:33 pm Post #85 - March 22nd, 2013, 4:33 pm
    I'm just back from Gareeb Nawaz where I spoke to Mohamed, the owner. He says GN is "a combination restaurant; neither Indian nor Pakistani". He also says that he owns both the mothership on Devon as well as GN Express in University Village.

    Gareeb Nawaz Chili Chicken Paratha
    Image

    Edited to add: I had this Chili Chicken Paratha for the princely sum of $2.99. I was just right for an afternoon snack, packing a moderate amount of heat and good flavor.
    Steve Z.

    “Only the pure in heart can make a good soup.”
    ― Ludwig van Beethoven
  • Post #86 - April 17th, 2013, 3:48 pm
    Post #86 - April 17th, 2013, 3:48 pm Post #86 - April 17th, 2013, 3:48 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    stevez wrote:I asked about whether they consider themselves to be an Indian or a Pakistani restaurant (answer: Yes).

    "All of the above," sounds like a reasonable answer to me.

    stevez wrote:I'm just back from Gareeb Nawaz where I spoke to Mohamed, the owner. He says GN is "a combination restaurant; neither Indian nor Pakistani". He also says that he owns both the mothership on Devon as well as GN Express in University Village.

    So then, "D. None of the above" is the correct answer? Ghareeb Nawaz transcends boundaries and defies categorization; they are both Indian and Pakistani but not limited to either.

    It sounds like Mohammed may have taken over the reins from his father (a native of Karachi) who opened Ghareeb Nawaz on Devon 20 years ago. I assumed the son was responsible only for the new UIC location because I always saw him there but never noticed him at the Devon restaurant (though I became aware of who he is only last year).

    Habibi wrote:While it is likely that the "we have no other branch" disclaimer is aimed at that suburban restaurant, it is also a VERY common and standard trope among resaurants in big cities in the Middle East and South Asia. Once that comes to mind is the famous Kushary Abou Tarek, on Champillon street in Cairo.

    I guess Ghareeb Nawaz has firsthand experience with this—on both ends. Until it closed recently, they operated Pista House on Devon, named after a famous restaurant in Hyderabad. I wonder if the real Pista House® has the disclaimer on their menu.

    My last visit to Ghareeb Nawaz Express I got to try something I’d often considered but never ordered: gyros biryani.

    Image

    Image

    The gyros was all that people said it would be: “pretty flippin bad,” “fake,” “ultra processed,” “foamy,” “spongy,” “way outta left field.” Pretty good biryani though.
  • Post #87 - October 16th, 2013, 10:46 am
    Post #87 - October 16th, 2013, 10:46 am Post #87 - October 16th, 2013, 10:46 am
    Rene G wrote:Of the three hunter beefs I tried on Devon recently, the version at Ghareeb Nawaz was the most plain. That's not to say it's bad. The other two places griddle the meat with onions and green chilies, making a more interesting paratha/sandwich filling.
    spot on comment
    laikom wrote:If you guys like the hunter beef, you should try the chili gosht. It's basically a fiery version of the hunter beef. It's one of my favorites here. Yes, it is beef and not goat.
    missed this sadly.

    I had wanted to try the Mirchi Ka Salan but they were out last night.

    Our group ordered: Hunter beef, spinach dal, chana masala, eggplant (Baghare Baigan), green chili chicken.

    The hits for me were chana masala and spinach dal, just terrific.

    It was my first time at Ghareeb Nawaz, won't be my last.
    I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be.
  • Post #88 - October 16th, 2013, 6:36 pm
    Post #88 - October 16th, 2013, 6:36 pm Post #88 - October 16th, 2013, 6:36 pm
    I LOVE THIS PLACE!!! I don't know how they get away with the pricing! Solid spot!
    -Pete
  • Post #89 - October 19th, 2013, 3:50 pm
    Post #89 - October 19th, 2013, 3:50 pm Post #89 - October 19th, 2013, 3:50 pm
    As much as i've tried to like GN over the past many many years, it just doesn't live up to Pakistani food standards! The only things going for it are 1)it's cheap and 2) it's open late and that's pretty much it. There are so many better places on Devon (Bismillah being my favorite for everyday pakistani food). Sabri and Usmania are slightly more "fancy".

    i like the chili chicken at GN but that's pretty much it. Anything else on their menu - I've found better in most places on devon.
    I don't want to dismiss them on LTH but just wanted to give a "pakistani" perspective.
  • Post #90 - March 31st, 2016, 10:02 am
    Post #90 - March 31st, 2016, 10:02 am Post #90 - March 31st, 2016, 10:02 am
    Been meaning to give a quick shout out to GN south. Had a meal there a few weeks ago, and everything was as solid as could be. Even the butter chicken was solid - much better than what I've come to expect from them. No pics, we scarfed everything down:
    Palak Paneer - not spectacular, but VERY solid - no real complaints.
    Butter Chicken - better than I've ever had it there before. Much more depth of flavor.
    Chili Chicken - another "always get" - great as always
    Naan - um..no. Not here.
    Paratha - fantastic as usual.
    Got a Daal dish too. No recollection of which, but I do know that it was not bad in any way.

    Just a shout out to say that this place is still chugging along, maybe even an uptick in quality. It's not the bestest stuff ever, but it's not trying to be. It might very well be the best for the price, however, and for that reason (even though sometimes I wonder what the quality will be that day when the bag is opened,) I am a fan.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more