LTH Home

Tac Quick - great as ever

Tac Quick - great as ever
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 10
  • Post #61 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:14 am
    Post #61 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:14 am Post #61 - January 23rd, 2009, 10:14 am
    dansch wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Image
    Pad See Ewe with Pork
    My son loves this dish and for him, it's probably the standard by which he compares Thai restaurants. Even though this dish isn't exactly in TAC's wheelhouse, they do a great job with it. The noodles had a satisfying, delicate bite, the chicken was crispy and moist, the broccoli was tender but not mushy, and the sauce was balanced in its sweetness.

Ever since my first meal at TAC Quick, I've been a huge fan and frankly embarrassed that I hadn't been there before (given it's proximity to my abode), but I have to say that I really don't care for their Pad See Ewe. At my favorite Thai spot in Virginia they did a phenomenal version of the dish, and while TAC is far and away a better restaurant overall, their Pad See Ewe just doesn't measure up.

I think it's the lack of char of the fresh noodles and the use of American-style broccoli instead of the more bitter Chinese-style broccoli (or does TAC use a mix?) that I associate with the dish.

I still have no hesitation when I say that TAC is my favorite Thai in town (although there are a couple of dishes - Num Tok and Tom Kha Pla - at Opart have me hooked), I just wish I liked their Pad See Ewe better.

-Dan

Yes, you probably noticed that it wasn't one of the dishes I categorized as a 'best' rendition. We like it just fine but I've had a couple versions I like better. In fact, if my son weren't with us, we most likely wouldn't have ordered it. It's interesting that you mentioned Opart because I've had -- and absolutely loved -- pad see ewe at their Wimette outpost in the past. But over the past year or so, their overall quality seems to have dipped dramatically and I've stopped going there.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #62 - January 23rd, 2009, 1:28 pm
    Post #62 - January 23rd, 2009, 1:28 pm Post #62 - January 23rd, 2009, 1:28 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:It's interesting that you mentioned Opart because I've had -- and absolutely loved -- pad see ewe at their Wimette outpost in the past. But over the past year or so, their overall quality seems to have dipped dramatically and I've stopped going there.

=R=

I haven't been to the one in Wilmette, so I can't comment on that location, and come to think of it, I don't think I've had the Pad See Ewe at the Western Ave location that I go to. I'm trying to think which dishes I've tried there, but really only the Num Tok and Tom Kha Pla stick out in my head. The Num Tok is about the best I've had anywhere - rare in the center, a good solid exterior char*, a perfectly spicy/sour dressing, and enough rice powder to give that little texture/crunch that I like. Definitely worth trying.

-Dan

* Too often I find well-done strips of beef that have no char and don't seem freshly-cooked.
  • Post #63 - January 25th, 2009, 9:33 am
    Post #63 - January 25th, 2009, 9:33 am Post #63 - January 25th, 2009, 9:33 am
    LTH,

Last year about this time I felt TAC was in a slump, batting average had slipped, even with old favorites, but a recent lunch, and Ronnie and KennyZ's glowing posts, have convinced me they are well back in stride.

Crispy On Choy case in point, my last post expressing disappointment, I now have the pleasure of waxing poetic about the joy of light crisp perfectly fried On Choy, warm supple shrimp, tender ground chicken, bright balanced hot/salty/sour with a hint of sweet sauce bringing context to disparate components.

Crispy On Choy

Issan-style Sausage, crisp exterior, coarse grind, flavor popping, a palate purge of my last mildly disappointing Issan-style Sausage outing

Issan-style Sausage

Tom Kha Kai, rich multilayer fragrant, I had forgotten just how good TAC's version was.

Tom Kha Kai

When we walked in, I had the pleasure of the ever engaging Steve Z's company, we spied Andy (owner/chef) lunching on a delicious mound flanked by bright yolked eggs. "We'll have what he's having" Pointing to Andy's plate. Turned out to be a a punchy version of Ginger Chicken on rice with runny yolk eggs lending creamy richness.

Ginger Chicken w/two fried eggs

Terrific lunch, TAC is officially back in the saddle far as this fan is concerned.

Enjoy,
    Gary
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #64 - January 25th, 2009, 9:39 am
    Post #64 - January 25th, 2009, 9:39 am Post #64 - January 25th, 2009, 9:39 am
    G Wiv wrote:LTH,

Last year about this time I felt TAC was in a slump, batting average had slipped, even with old favorites, but a recent lunch, and Ronnie and KennyZ's glowing posts, have convinced me they are well back in stride.

I felt the same way after two average meals there in the fall, so this is encouraging news.
  • Post #65 - January 26th, 2009, 10:01 am
    Post #65 - January 26th, 2009, 10:01 am Post #65 - January 26th, 2009, 10:01 am
    I went to TAC Quick last night and had a fantastic meal. Crispy On Choy, Fried Chicken, Papaya Salad, and some noodle dish that's name escapes me - everything was spot-on. We were the last table of the night on a Sunday and everything was still perfect - if they're not on their game now, I can't imagine how it could get better.

-Dan
  • Post #66 - January 29th, 2009, 11:02 pm
    Post #66 - January 29th, 2009, 11:02 pm Post #66 - January 29th, 2009, 11:02 pm
    I went to TAC Quick tonight and it was better than ever. I was fortunate enough to have braised beef with carrot and potato in curry with roti. This is a special that appears from time to time when Erik M. delivers curry powder to Andy. The curry is very rich and complex. I have always ordered it whenever I was fortunate enough to find it on the specials board. It should be around for a while, but I would recommend calling the restaurant to make sure it would be on hand before making a trip for this item.
  • Post #67 - January 31st, 2009, 10:52 pm
    Post #67 - January 31st, 2009, 10:52 pm Post #67 - January 31st, 2009, 10:52 pm
    As a would-be jumper derailed my red line venture up to Argyle, I hopped over to TAC to wait out the line shutdown. Seeing Andy in the kitchen made me optimistic, and the results this evening renewed my confidence.

The roti noted above is indeed excellent, with an almost stew-like texture--albeit with a luxuriant mouth feel--deepened by the curry powder. Loved it.

Fish maw salad was excellent, as usual.

I also tried, and I'm going to botch this, "Gao Rad Moo Yor"--it's on the specials board above the mouse ears salad--which was described as a "pork salad," and composed of wedges of pork--which the waiter called "pork meatloaf" but I'd place closer to fried bologna--chinese broccoli, mung beans, and the usual thai vinaigrette base. An amusing, satiating dish, but not one that will be canonized soon. I regret not trying the chicken/preserved egg dish, and will try to do so at my next stop here, hopefully within the next week or two.

Nonetheless, it's exciting to have my old TAC back.
  • Post #68 - January 31st, 2009, 11:09 pm
    Post #68 - January 31st, 2009, 11:09 pm Post #68 - January 31st, 2009, 11:09 pm
    Kao lao mu yaw?
  • Post #69 - February 1st, 2009, 2:51 am
    Post #69 - February 1st, 2009, 2:51 am Post #69 - February 1st, 2009, 2:51 am
    I stopped here for lunch after the Culinary Historians meeting today. We ate off the specials board exclusively. We started with the pork neck which earned me a gold star and a minor criticism from Fifille; "why have you waited this long to serve this to me and why did you let me order anything else here today?!?!"

Mains were basil duck: boneless pieces of roast duck with jalapenos, mushrooms and basil over rice. Very tasty. I went with the karee beef and roti which was mindblowingly good.

Dessert was another order of the pork neck :D
    I used to think the brain was the most important part of the body. Then I realized who was telling me that.
  • Post #70 - February 1st, 2009, 10:27 am
    Post #70 - February 1st, 2009, 10:27 am Post #70 - February 1st, 2009, 10:27 am
    deesher wrote:I was fortunate enough to have braised beef with carrot and potato in curry with roti. This is a special that appears from time to time when Erik M. delivers curry powder to Andy. The curry is very rich and complex. I have always ordered it whenever I was fortunate enough to find it on the specials board. It should be around for a while, but I would recommend calling the restaurant to make sure it would be on hand before making a trip for this item.

octarine wrote:I went with the karee beef and roti which was mindblowingly good.

chezbrad wrote:The roti noted above is indeed excellent, with an almost stew-like texture--albeit with a luxuriant mouth feel--deepened by the curry powder. Loved it.

Roti Kaeng Karii Neau (Malay Muslim-Style Beef Curry w/ Roti Bread) was the honored guest at one of best meals I've had in quite a while. As deesher mentioned, Erik M. just crafted a batch of this Malay curry powder and gave the lion's share to Andy at TAC Quick to use for this complex, rich and warming dish. The fire is hot folks--this is not to be missed. (The essential oils are dissipating as we speak). Even though it has been spotted on the specials menu, avoid disappointment, call first.

TAC Quick
    3930 N Sheridan Rd
    (773) 327-5253
  • Post #71 - February 1st, 2009, 4:28 pm
    Post #71 - February 1st, 2009, 4:28 pm Post #71 - February 1st, 2009, 4:28 pm
    octarine wrote:I went with the karee beef and roti which was mindblowingly good.
    chezbrad wrote:The roti noted above is indeed excellent, with an almost stew-like texture--albeit with a luxuriant mouth feel--deepened by the curry powder. Loved it.
    trixie-pea wrote:Roti Kaeng Karii Neau (Malay Muslim-Style Beef Curry w/ Roti Bread) was the honored guest at one of best meals I've had in quite a while.
    The vibrancy of the Roti Kaeng Karii Neau wouldn't have been possible had Erik not recently provided Andy the Curry (recipe taken from David Thompson's book, "Thai Food") made with super-fresh and recently ground spices. The Curry was beautifully alive on the palate and elevated this tender beef stew to a heavenly realm. If you love Thai cuisine, this is not a dish to take casually and wait for. I promise that if TAC makes this a specialty item, the batch of Curry powder Erik generously provided for them (and meticulously labored over to get just right) will be gone in no time.

Another dish that blew my socks off was the Phat Phet Sa-Taw; a spicy Curry fry with sator beans (stinky beans) and minced shrimp & pork. I truly fell in love with this dish with its perfect balance between the shrimp/pork, curry, and beans. This dish gave me a newfound love in the stinky bean and will no doubt have me looking for it anywhere it might be found. Its subtle tanginess for me was highly alluring.
    Phat Phet Sa-Taw is not presently offered at TAC but, hopefully, people will start requesting it from Andy and he will consider making it as a special at some point. I was trying real hard not to be a pain in the ass when I left, pleading with Andy and his partner to start carrying it there on a daily basis.

One other highlight was the Som Tam Puu Dawng or Papaya Salad with fresh blue crab. Most people who frequent TAC try their papaya salad at one point or another. But what really elevated this dish this time was Erik’s insistence that they “muddle” the papaya aggressively, which allowed the other ingredients to beautifully meld with the papaya itself and also elevate the spice level dramatically.

Everything we tried that evening was Southern Thai-based dishes and rarely found (if ever) in Chicago. I would strongly recommend requesting these dishes whenever you go with the hopes of enticing possible future preparations.

Thanks, Erik.
  • Post #72 - February 1st, 2009, 4:41 pm
    Post #72 - February 1st, 2009, 4:41 pm Post #72 - February 1st, 2009, 4:41 pm
    cilantro wrote:Kao lao mu yaw?

Wi mu kwai tlo.
  • Post #73 - February 2nd, 2009, 8:33 pm
    Post #73 - February 2nd, 2009, 8:33 pm Post #73 - February 2nd, 2009, 8:33 pm
    Just got back from dinner at TAC tonight. The beef curry with roti from the specials board is indeed something special. This dish reminded of the better versions of beef rendang I have had but for the addition of white and sweet potatoes. Be forewarned however, the curry along with the accompanying roti are heavy as hell - or at least it felt that way, but hey, I was coming off a lunch of Bari's 12 In. Italian sub. Basically I am not eating again for a week.

BTW, TAC's papaya salad with salted blue crab is as good as ever and rivals anything I have eaten in southeast Asia. TAC's already great papaya salad shoots into the stratosphere with the addition of salty, briny, funky blue crab parts. I need to find out where I can get a jar of the stuff..........

TAC rocks.
    "By the fig, the olive..." Surat Al-Teen, Mecca 95:1"
  • Post #74 - February 2nd, 2009, 8:56 pm
    Post #74 - February 2nd, 2009, 8:56 pm Post #74 - February 2nd, 2009, 8:56 pm
    Oh and I am 99% sure I saw Grant Achatz (chef/owner of Alinea) and family dining there tonight.
  • Post #75 - February 6th, 2009, 8:05 am
    Post #75 - February 6th, 2009, 8:05 am Post #75 - February 6th, 2009, 8:05 am
    I see several positive references in this thread to TAC's papaya salad, but I have to ask: can anyone really eat this stuff? I mean, wowsa! I have a pretty high heat tolerance, but I simply couldn't muster a high enough pain threshold to withstand more than one bite last night. Is it always like that?

Thankfully, the rich, sweet star anise-flavored braising liquid in my main course (whatever that dish is called with the braised pork belly, tofu, and preserved eggs) settled me down quickly, and I left TAC feeling as satisfied as ever.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #76 - February 6th, 2009, 12:15 pm
    Post #76 - February 6th, 2009, 12:15 pm Post #76 - February 6th, 2009, 12:15 pm
    The papaya salad I have ordered has always been hot as hell, bordering on inedible. I always assumed it was so because I asked for "spicy" or "Thai spicy." However, if they are serving that level of heat to everyone, it should come as no surprise that many consider it inedible. In fact, the last time I ate it it was so spicy that I remember thinking - "next time, forget the Thai spicy request." Next time I will order it without saying anything else and report back.

Still, its a great papaya salad. I was reminded of this again when I ordered a papaya salad from Thai Pastry that lacked the toothsomeness, fishy funk, and herbaceous quality of TAC's superior salad. Thai Pastry's was basically shredded papaya with lots of lime, some sugar, and chiles.
  • Post #77 - February 6th, 2009, 12:46 pm
    Post #77 - February 6th, 2009, 12:46 pm Post #77 - February 6th, 2009, 12:46 pm
    I recently took a first date to TAC. I was posturing a bit as I ordered the som tum and nam tok at a heat level of 8 on a scale of 10. I've had both dishes at full tilt and even for the hottest headed palate they can by mindmeltingly hot almost to the point of inedible. So, back to the date, I figured 8 would be hot enough to claim my bragging rights without killing us. I had to apologize for my loss of composure about three bites into the salads- eyes watering, nose running to the point that the handkerchief made an appearance. I'd say the nam tok was even a notch spicier than the som tum- its those finely sliced green chilies that they use- they camouflage well amongst the other green goodies. Anyway, it proved to be a great moment of brevity and a comedic opportunity to cut myself down a few notches. I will also add this- I ate at Double Li the next night, a restaurant I consider to be pumping out some of the most Scoville ascending cuisine in town and nothing I ate could shake a stick at the searing levels of heat in those salads at TAC.
  • Post #78 - February 6th, 2009, 1:58 pm
    Post #78 - February 6th, 2009, 1:58 pm Post #78 - February 6th, 2009, 1:58 pm
    Not sure what could explain the disparity but I've always found the som tum at TAC to be fiery but very much edible -- even addictive. I don't think I have a particularly high tolerance but who knows.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #79 - February 6th, 2009, 6:50 pm
    Post #79 - February 6th, 2009, 6:50 pm Post #79 - February 6th, 2009, 6:50 pm
    On my most recent visit, the som tum was definitely hot, but not inedible. Well, by me. My dining companion, who is a big fan of som tum generally and likes spicy food but had not been to TAC before, found TAC's rendition too spicy to eat much of. Regardless, I thought that the heat was dead-on perfect.

-Dan
  • Post #80 - February 6th, 2009, 8:45 pm
    Post #80 - February 6th, 2009, 8:45 pm Post #80 - February 6th, 2009, 8:45 pm
    Kennyz wrote: Thankfully, the rich, sweet star anise-flavored braising liquid in my main course (whatever that dish is called with the braised pork belly, tofu, and preserved eggs) settled me down quickly, and I left TAC feeling as satisfied as ever.

My TAC-dar perked up when i saw this--what's the name of this dish? Must try when I'm there next.
  • Post #81 - February 6th, 2009, 10:37 pm
    Post #81 - February 6th, 2009, 10:37 pm Post #81 - February 6th, 2009, 10:37 pm
    We went to Tac Quick for the first time tonight - pretty ridiculous since we live a 5 minute walk away (and regularly use the Sheridan el stop)!

We had Crispy On Choy ($11), Pork Neck ($6), and Garlic Pork Ribs ($7) as recommended in this thread, and were very pleased. The pork neck was a good value, and we wondered if pigs really have that much neck? It's probably more shoulder meat, no? Nevertheless, it was nicely sweet and savory. On Choy was a generous dish with a lot of heat. We couldn't really discern the taste of the vegetable beneath the crispy-fryness, but the mint (and basil?) lent a nice herby punch. The garlic pork was our least favorite dish in part because it was only barely warm, not hot, and some of the just-white-meat pieces were a bit dry. The pieces with some bone and/or fat were moist and tasty though.

It took us a little while to have our order taken, and our waters ran dry once, but otherwise service was fine, and our main server (a young male) was quite pleasant. The prices are more than reasonable.

My one complaint would be that it was incredibly loud in the restaurant. We were there tonight (Friday) at 8pm, and it was full. Noise is expected in that situation, and I don't think I'm particularly sensitive about it in restaurants, but I thought the level was verging on unbearable. For that reason, we probably won't be back when it's so busy, but we will definitely be back.
  • Post #82 - February 6th, 2009, 11:41 pm
    Post #82 - February 6th, 2009, 11:41 pm Post #82 - February 6th, 2009, 11:41 pm
    mtyf wrote:We had Crispy On Choy ($11), Pork Neck ($6), and Garlic Pork Ribs ($7) as recommended in this thread, and were very pleased. The pork neck was a good value, and we wondered if pigs really have that much neck?

MikeG and I had Crispy On Choy and Pork Neck at lunch today and I liked both dishes quite a lot. Fried salad -- what an excellent concept. I did cook some pork neck just last week and there really is quite a bit of tasty meat on the neck.

Basil Duck was a let down.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #83 - February 7th, 2009, 7:20 am
    Post #83 - February 7th, 2009, 7:20 am Post #83 - February 7th, 2009, 7:20 am
    Also a letdown: that every time I go to have the roti, they're out. Honestly, over the years I've probably tried 5 or 6 times, and had it exactly once.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #84 - February 7th, 2009, 7:26 am
    Post #84 - February 7th, 2009, 7:26 am Post #84 - February 7th, 2009, 7:26 am
    Mike G wrote:Also a letdown: that every time I go to have the roti, they're out. Honestly, over the years I've probably tried 5 or 6 times, and had it exactly once.

you missed it by a day. They had roti on Thursday night.
    ...defended from strong temptations to social ambition by a still stronger taste for tripe and onions." Screwtape in The Screwtape Letters by CS Lewis

Fuckerberg on Food
  • Post #85 - February 7th, 2009, 8:19 am
    Post #85 - February 7th, 2009, 8:19 am Post #85 - February 7th, 2009, 8:19 am
    Kennyz wrote:you missed it by a day. They had roti on Thursday night.

I missed beef curry with Erik's curry powder at TAC, but had it at a friends house earlier in the week. A seemingly simple combination of braised beef, potato and curry powder yields rich, complex, intense, though surprisingly accessible, flavor. I directly attribute the delicious complexity to Erik M.'s curry powder.

Shrak from Cleopatra Bakery stood in for Roti, though as they are both griddle breads with a whole wheat component I'm not sure there is an effective difference, and after a ride on a lightly buttered griddle provided the perfect foil.

Enjoy,
    Gary

Cleopatra Bakery
    3255 W 63rd St.
    Chicago, IL 60629
    773-925-4711
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #86 - February 7th, 2009, 8:41 am
    Post #86 - February 7th, 2009, 8:41 am Post #86 - February 7th, 2009, 8:41 am
    Though actually your roti was purchased at Al-Amal on 87th in Bridgeview.
    Watch Sky Full of Bacon, the Chicago food HD podcast!
    New episode: Soil, Corn, Cows and Cheese
    Watch the Reader's James Beard Award-winning Key Ingredient here.
  • Post #87 - February 9th, 2009, 9:51 am
    Post #87 - February 9th, 2009, 9:51 am Post #87 - February 9th, 2009, 9:51 am
    Were there last night (Sun). Karee Beef with Roti was still listed on the specials menu, but not available.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #88 - February 9th, 2009, 10:44 am
    Post #88 - February 9th, 2009, 10:44 am Post #88 - February 9th, 2009, 10:44 am
    We went on Saturday night around 6:30pm, and we had the Karee Beef special. I would've preferred to dine later, but feared that they would run out based on previous posts. The beef was so tender, and cleaned our bowl of any remaining sauce! Delicious
  • Post #89 - February 9th, 2009, 12:30 pm
    Post #89 - February 9th, 2009, 12:30 pm Post #89 - February 9th, 2009, 12:30 pm
    PIGMON wrote:The vibrancy of the Roti Kaeng Karii Neau wouldn't have been possible had Erik not recently provided Andy the Curry (recipe taken from David Thompson's book, "Thai Food") made with super-fresh and recently ground spices. The Curry was beautifully alive on the palate and elevated this tender beef stew to a heavenly realm. If you love Thai cuisine, this is not a dish to take casually and wait for. I promise that if TAC makes this a specialty item, the batch of Curry powder Erik generously provided for them (and meticulously labored over to get just right) will be gone in no time.

Another dish that blew my socks off was the Phat Phet Sa-Taw; a spicy Curry fry with sator beans (stinky beans) and minced shrimp & pork. I truly fell in love with this dish with its perfect balance between the shrimp/pork, curry, and beans. This dish gave me a newfound love in the stinky bean and will no doubt have me looking for it anywhere it might be found. Its subtle tanginess for me was highly alluring.
    Phat Phet Sa-Taw is not presently offered at TAC but, hopefully, people will start requesting it from Andy and he will consider making it as a special at some point. I was trying real hard not to be a pain in the ass when I left, pleading with Andy and his partner to start carrying it there on a daily basis.

One other highlight was the Som Tam Puu Dawng or Papaya Salad with fresh blue crab. Most people who frequent TAC try their papaya salad at one point or another. But what really elevated this dish this time was Erik’s insistence that they “muddle” the papaya aggressively, which allowed the other ingredients to beautifully meld with the papaya itself and also elevate the spice level dramatically.

Everything we tried that evening was Southern Thai-based dishes and rarely found (if ever) in Chicago. I would strongly recommend requesting these dishes whenever you go with the hopes of enticing possible future preparations.

Thanks, Erik.

TAC Quick has long been one of my favorite restaurants and a recent meal was among the best I’ve had there. Beef curry with roti was the focus of the dinner but the accompanying dishes were all terrific.

Tom Yam Kung Mai Naam (Naam Sai)

A regular menu item except Erik ordered the soup without chili jam (naam sai or “clear broth”). An excellent variation on an old standard.

Som Tam Puu Dawng

This papaya salad features fresh blue crab. A great version.

Plaa Samlii Daet Diaw

I was surprised how much I enjoyed these dried and fried butterfish (eat 'em all, from nose to caudal fin). Not a regular menu item but if it appears as a special be sure to try it.

Phat Phet Sa-Taw

Sator beans with their unique, slightly astringent taste came sauced with a rich pork and shrimp mix. Another dish that’s not on the regular menu but well worth looking for on the specials board.

Roti Kaeng Karii Neau

Get it while you can!
  • Post #90 - February 12th, 2009, 1:24 pm
    Post #90 - February 12th, 2009, 1:24 pm Post #90 - February 12th, 2009, 1:24 pm
    I managed to sneak a takeout order in before Gwiv put in the group of 14's dinner--good thing I've already tried the roti, as I think they cleaned out TAC's supplies. Of note: I watched the kitchen make the roti, and they were cooking/griddling them one at a time--a nice touch, but that seemed wildly inefficient, you know? But it's a small window--literally and figuratively--in which I observed.

Thoughts:
    -My favorite thing about TAC--and thai food in general, I suppose--is the interplay of basic ingredients and/or tastes to create a more complex sum of parts. Thus, I must say I was confused by the chicken and preserved egg dish: the three ingredients--basil being the other--were impeachable, but they didn't meld at all. It was chunks of chicken, soft eggs, and strips of holy basil--scarfable, sure, but not particularly memorable to me.
    -The boat noodles were carried by a fantastic broth that, though a smidge too salty, had a perfect tone of sweetness that worked beautifully with the various beef parts strewn about. For star anise lovers only, though.
    -Loved the sausage--it has been some time since I've eaten Lotus of Siam's (my standard bearer), but I thought this was just as good, if not better.

Has the specials board become static? Seems like the items--other than the roti--have not changed for months; I seem to recall more turnover in the past.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more