Tac Quick - great as ever

Tac Quick - great as ever
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Tac Quick - great as ever

- April 14th, 2007, 5:31 pm
    - April 14th, 2007, 5:31 pm Post #1 - April 14th, 2007, 5:31 pm
    Christopher Gordon wrote:a great meal all in all

You certainly appeared to enjoy it. :wink:

Here are a couple of things to throw in the air...

1. I personally have never understood the appeal which nãem "nướng" has for so many Thais and non-Thais alike. And, as good as many find the version at TAC, it remains to me a woefully inadequate approximation of the genuine Vietnamese article, nem nuong.*

2. Khâo man kài is yet another Thai approximation of a foreign dish, but in this case one from the Southern Chinese province of Hainan. Unlike Thai naem "nướng," though, a good Thai version of Hainanese "chicken rice" can be a thing of beauty. At any rate, and as I've said here before, there is a vastly superior version to that of TAC in this town and you'll find it at Thai Avenue.**

At any rate, you should have strolled over and introduced yourself. I was seated at the bar, where I sat eating kũay tĩaw reua and chatting with my Thai friend, Waan.

Sawàt-dii pee mài Thai khráp.
    E.M.

* Anecdotally, Thai nãem "nướng" is popular with noone moreso than carb-phobic Thai girls and young Thai women.

** Just as it's done in Hainan, Singapore, and other parts of SEA, Thais often eat this dish at lunchtime, or on the go. And, wherever it is served and consumed, the chicken, rice, and accompanying soup form an immutable trinity, and are together considered a complete meal; they are rarely shared or served as part of a greater table array.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more