LTH Home

Sweet Virginia's Kitchen

Sweet Virginia's Kitchen
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Sweet Virginia's Kitchen

Post #1 - January 12th, 2019, 9:34 pm
    Post #1 - January 12th, 2019, 9:34 pm Post #1 - January 12th, 2019, 9:34 pm
    My wife and I have eaten at Sweet Virginia's Kitchen each of the last two weekends, and we rarely re-visit a place that quickly! They are a small garden-level storefront on Damen just south of Foster that pumps out some seriously good breakfast food (I have not tried their lunch!).

The first weekend I got their chilaquiles. I love chilaquiles, but I think good chilaquiles are difficult to find in this city even though they are on menus all over the place (R.I.P Egghead). The preparation here was different than what I have gotten elsewhere..it was "dry" for lack of a better way to describe it, which kept the chips crispy. There was also a sweetness that I'm not used to seeing, which I thought was a great touch. I would definitely get it again!

This weekend I got their biscuits and gravy. The biscuit was a little dense for my taste, but the amazing sausage gravy more than made up for it. Most of the time when I get biscuits and gravy I am left wanting for more gravy, but not here! There was more than enough gravy to go around. Again, I would gladly get it again.

I also got a doughnut based on the suggestion of the lady working the cash register. I don't normally like doughnuts (too sweet, and I don't do sweet breakfast), but I'm very glad I ordered it! The doughnut was very light and it was the perfect level of sweet. In a nice touch, the doughnut also came with its doughnut hole. I could have eaten way more than the one I ordered.

My wife got the french toast and really liked it. She can be a tough cookie to impress, so her seal of approval means a lot (at least to me!).

Their menu is surprisingly eclectic given the type of restaurant...they have take away ice cream, pizza for Amundsen students, nachos, seafood, baked goods, breakfast, etc. (seems like it would just be breakfasts and perhaps sandwiches?). I was skeptical when I first walked in and saw the menu, but given the obvious care the kitchen gives breakfast, I'm excited to work my way through the rest of the menu.

Sweet Virginia's Kitchen
    5131 N Damen
    Chicago, IL 60625
    (773) 654-3223

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide