Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - 2019

Openings, Closings, Comings & Goings - 2019
  • Forum HomeLocked Topic BackTop
    Page 4 of 19
  • Post #91 - March 13th, 2019, 9:09 am
    Post #91 - March 13th, 2019, 9:09 am Post #91 - March 13th, 2019, 9:09 am
    JoelF wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:
    Barbecue joint Pork & Mindy’s plans to open mini restaurants inside 28 Chicago area Mariano’s this year, a huge expansion for the local sandwich shop and a new kind of partnership for the grocery chain.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

Could they be replacing the Corner Bakeries?

Replacing the Todd's BBQ seems more likely though not all stores have them.
  • Post #92 - March 13th, 2019, 3:06 pm
    Post #92 - March 13th, 2019, 3:06 pm Post #92 - March 13th, 2019, 3:06 pm
    A Taste of Cuba, 3918 W. Touhy Ave., Lincolnwood is closed. I stopped by and talked to the presumed owner of the restaurant replacing it (construction was in progress). The new restaurant will be "Kings and Queens", he hopes opening within 3 weeks. It will be a middle-eastern-Pakistani grill. If you go, mention you saw it on the foodie website from the guy who stopped by on 3/14 and he might be good to you..
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #93 - March 13th, 2019, 4:19 pm
    Post #93 - March 13th, 2019, 4:19 pm Post #93 - March 13th, 2019, 4:19 pm
    diversedancer wrote:A Taste of Cuba, 3918 W. Touhy Ave., Lincolnwood is closed...

They have moved to Irving Park next to Beograd Cafe.

Mima's Taste of Cuba
    2925 W Irving Park Rd
    (773) 654-3075
  • Post #94 - March 13th, 2019, 5:03 pm
    Post #94 - March 13th, 2019, 5:03 pm Post #94 - March 13th, 2019, 5:03 pm
    diversedancer wrote:If you go, mention you saw it on the foodie website from the guy who stopped by on 3/14 and he might be good to you.

I would never dream of saying a thing. I like to just go in and experience the way it is for just about anybody.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #95 - March 13th, 2019, 6:26 pm
    Post #95 - March 13th, 2019, 6:26 pm Post #95 - March 13th, 2019, 6:26 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    diversedancer wrote:If you go, mention you saw it on the foodie website from the guy who stopped by on 3/14 and he might be good to you.

I would never dream of saying a thing. I like to just go in and experience the way it is for just about anybody.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Agreed. If expressing genuine interest (by choosing the establishment) isn't enough, so be it.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #96 - March 14th, 2019, 2:13 pm
    Post #96 - March 14th, 2019, 2:13 pm Post #96 - March 14th, 2019, 2:13 pm
    Jim-Bob wrote:Replacing the Todd's BBQ seems more likely though not all stores have them.
    I was wondering about this: whether they're putting Pork & Mindy's into Mariano's stores that don't already have a Todd's Barbecue station or whether they're getting rid of the latter. It seemed odd to me that the article didn't comment on that.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #97 - March 14th, 2019, 2:31 pm
    Post #97 - March 14th, 2019, 2:31 pm Post #97 - March 14th, 2019, 2:31 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Agreed. If expressing genuine interest (by choosing the establishment) isn't enough, so be it.

DD's comment came off as pretty tongue in cheek to me. Even if taken literally, it's not an absurd thing to say. Usually it's in response to an owner/manager inquiry, and in the case of newer, smaller restaurants, the proprietors often ask how you heard about them. Not giving them an honest answer is fine, but I don't see it as beneficial to either side.

OTOH, if you go in directly saying "the guy from 3/14 said on a foodie website you'd be good to me", before ordering or anything (which isn't necessarily what DD suggested), then you're acting like an over-the-top discount/freebie fiending jerk.
  • Post #98 - March 14th, 2019, 2:36 pm
    Post #98 - March 14th, 2019, 2:36 pm Post #98 - March 14th, 2019, 2:36 pm
    bweiny wrote:OTOH, if you go in directly saying "the guy from 3/14 said on a foodie website you'd be good to me", before ordering or anything (which isn't what DD suggested), then you're acting like an over-the-top discount/freebie fiending jerk.

I worry more about that kind of interpretation.

Years ago when I was involved in distributing certificates for the Great Neighborhood Restaurant, I would eat dinner, pay for it and then give them their certificate. When it was really, really unknown, sometimes the owners did not want to take it or kept inquiring what did I expect for it. They did not believe it was for nothing more than admiring their good food, thank you!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #99 - March 19th, 2019, 1:36 pm
    Post #99 - March 19th, 2019, 1:36 pm Post #99 - March 19th, 2019, 1:36 pm
    Well, this looks interesting. I've heard so much scuttlebutt about the recent closing of SzeChuan House but didn't know what was rumor and what was true. But then I saw this sign posted there today.

2019-03-19 14_32_27-(no subject) - robtwalicki@gmail.com - Gmail.jpg

(the former)SzeChuan House
    4309 E New York St,
    Aurora, IL 60504
  • Post #100 - March 19th, 2019, 5:01 pm
    Post #100 - March 19th, 2019, 5:01 pm Post #100 - March 19th, 2019, 5:01 pm
    Katie wrote:
    Jim-Bob wrote:Replacing the Todd's BBQ seems more likely though not all stores have them.
    I was wondering about this: whether they're putting Pork & Mindy's into Mariano's stores that don't already have a Todd's Barbecue station or whether they're getting rid of the latter. It seemed odd to me that the article didn't comment on that.

Hi all! Long time no post....

Pork & Mindy's will be replacing ALL 28 Todd's BBQ Locations. In each of the locations, we will be offering our full restaurant menu (Sangwiches, Pit Bowls, Smothered Tots, by the lb meats...) as well as smoking majority of our product on premises.

What I'm most excited about, is that we will also have an extensive hot "grab & go" section where we will sell Baby Backs, Bacon Wrapped Individual Spareribs, Smoked Meatloaf, my mom's Braciole and smoked whole Peruvian-style chickens. We will train, staff and operate all the locations.

I really am excited about all these locations and we've worked very hard to make this all happen. We are already open in Bronzeville and will open tomorrow (3/20) at the Park Ridge location. As far as future roll out, if there is currently a "Todd's BBQ" in your local Mariano's, we will be taking it over by the end of the year. Let's say 2 locations every 6 weeks...

Honestly, we've had a challenging 3 years and my partners and I have a learned a boat-load about this extremely challenging business. I can honestly say, that at this moment, I am finally 100% proud of our food and service. We have implemented a hybrid smoke/sous vide for majority of proteins and have really locked down our consistency, flavor and succulence.

Just wait til' you see our brick & mortar North Ave. Elmwood Park location (in my backyard...the old Apothecary building) opening this summer....stay tuned.

-Jeff "Constantly Lurking but rarely posting these days..." Mauro
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
  • Post #101 - March 19th, 2019, 7:23 pm
    Post #101 - March 19th, 2019, 7:23 pm Post #101 - March 19th, 2019, 7:23 pm
    Sounds great! Best of luck to you, Jeff!
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #102 - March 19th, 2019, 8:27 pm
    Post #102 - March 19th, 2019, 8:27 pm Post #102 - March 19th, 2019, 8:27 pm
    cheffjeff wrote:
    Katie wrote:

Pork & Mindy's will be replacing ALL 28 Todd's BBQ Locations. In each of the locations, we will be offering our full restaurant menu (Sangwiches, Pit Bowls, Smothered Tots, by the lb meats...) as well as smoking majority of our product on premises.

What I'm most excited about, is that we will also have an extensive hot "grab & go" section where we will sell Baby Backs, Bacon Wrapped Individual Spareribs, Smoked Meatloaf, my mom's Braciole and smoked whole Peruvian-style chickens. We will train, staff and operate all the locations.

I really am excited about all these locations and we've worked very hard to make this all happen. We are already open in Bronzeville and will open tomorrow (3/20) at the Park Ridge location. As far as future roll out, if there is currently a "Todd's BBQ" in your local Mariano's, we will be taking it over by the end of the year. Let's say 2 locations every 6 weeks...

Honestly, we've had a challenging 3 years and my partners and I have a learned a boat-load about this extremely challenging business. I can honestly say, that at this moment, I am finally 100% proud of our food and service. We have implemented a hybrid smoke/sous vide for majority of proteins and have really locked down our consistency, flavor and succulence.

Just wait til' you see our brick & mortar North Ave. Elmwood Park location (in my backyard...the old Apothecary building) opening this summer....stay tuned.

I was right! Good luck on the new locations Jeff.
  • Post #103 - March 20th, 2019, 11:42 am
    Post #103 - March 20th, 2019, 11:42 am Post #103 - March 20th, 2019, 11:42 am
    Another food hall coming to Loop this fall, from same company opening one in Willis Tower (Tribune)
  • Post #104 - March 20th, 2019, 1:54 pm
    Post #104 - March 20th, 2019, 1:54 pm Post #104 - March 20th, 2019, 1:54 pm
    bobbywal wrote:Well, this looks interesting. I've heard so much scuttlebutt about the recent closing of SzeChuan House but didn't know what was rumor and what was true. But then I saw this sign posted there today.

4309 E New York St,
    Aurora, IL 60504

Crap, this was our go to Szechuan place.

Seeing the Lao Sze Chuan coming soon does not inspire.

Szechuan House would turn up the heat when you asked for it.
    Bill-Plainfield
  • Post #105 - March 20th, 2019, 3:10 pm
    Post #105 - March 20th, 2019, 3:10 pm Post #105 - March 20th, 2019, 3:10 pm
    Octarine wrote:From my alderman John Arena’s Facebook Page:
    “El Asadero Colombiano is busy renovating the corner space as well as the storefront to the north at 4800 N. Central. This family-owned restaurant will bring authentic Colombian food to the Jefferson Park neighborhood, expanding the delicious offerings on the far northwest side. The owners expect to open in the next few months.”

This is the old Super Cup/Central Kitchen/BeefBelly/BrgrBelly space.

We looked in last night to see the whole family cleaning and getting ready. The owner ran to greet us and gave us a menu. Roast chicken, steak, rabbit, and daily soups all look promising.

Planned opening date is April 1st

El Asadero Colombiano
    4800-4802 N. Central Ave.
    Chicago IL 60630
    312-871-0038
  • Post #106 - March 20th, 2019, 6:28 pm
    Post #106 - March 20th, 2019, 6:28 pm Post #106 - March 20th, 2019, 6:28 pm
    House of Fortune (2407 S. Wentworth), reported closed as of today on Yelp, is dark with a CBACP ordered closure sign dated 2/25 (liquor sales). This followed some prior renovation closure and menu reworking.

A good lunch special can still be had at CPD haunt Evergreen a few doors down, which has most definitely not been renovated.
  • Post #107 - March 21st, 2019, 8:59 am
    Post #107 - March 21st, 2019, 8:59 am Post #107 - March 21st, 2019, 8:59 am
    Willkat98 wrote:
    bobbywal wrote:Well, this looks interesting. I've heard so much scuttlebutt about the recent closing of SzeChuan House but didn't know what was rumor and what was true. But then I saw this sign posted there today.

4309 E New York St,
    Aurora, IL 60504

Crap, this was our go to Szechuan place.

Seeing the Lao Sze Chuan coming soon does not inspire.

Szechuan House would turn up the heat when you asked for it.

I sort of thought the Lao empire was shrinking, not expanding. That having been said, the last couple takeouts we've from them give me hope that they've turned a corner. My recent order for the Three Chili Chiken was spot on.
  • Post #108 - March 21st, 2019, 9:00 am
    Post #108 - March 21st, 2019, 9:00 am Post #108 - March 21st, 2019, 9:00 am
    Up in Edgewater, Pizzeria Aroma moved from its longtime location at 1025 W Berwyn to 5256 N Broadway and has dropped "Pizzeria" from the name. They took over the old La Fonda space and added a bar and more seating. More details here.
    -Mary
  • Post #109 - March 21st, 2019, 9:50 am
    Post #109 - March 21st, 2019, 9:50 am Post #109 - March 21st, 2019, 9:50 am
    Was up in Highwood last night for Taco Wednesday at the Mean Wiener and noticed the recently shuttered adjacent Lucky Fish will become the Mean Shrimp featuring fish and chips and in the building just to the north that used to be a hair salon signage is up for La Plancha Loca, which looks to be a bricks and mortar outlet for a catering business.
    (https://www.facebook.com/TaquizasLaPlanchaLoca/)
    And speaking of tacos, sign in the window of the former original Casa de Isaac (431 Temple in technically Highland Park) for Salt Creek Tacos (https://saltcreektacos.com/index.html) from chef John des Rosiers of Inovasi.
  • Post #110 - March 21st, 2019, 9:55 pm
    Post #110 - March 21st, 2019, 9:55 pm Post #110 - March 21st, 2019, 9:55 pm
    cheffjeff wrote:
    Katie wrote:

How about an update on the Irving Park location?
  • Post #111 - March 22nd, 2019, 6:57 am
    Post #111 - March 22nd, 2019, 6:57 am Post #111 - March 22nd, 2019, 6:57 am
    Drover wrote:
    cheffjeff wrote:

How about an update on the Irving Park location?

That is slated for 2019 as well. I know, i know...the Irving Park location has been pushed back so many times, but finally we are in a position to start building it out (it's already demo'd) this summer and hopefully open by the fall/winter of 2019.
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing
  • Post #112 - March 22nd, 2019, 1:06 pm
    Post #112 - March 22nd, 2019, 1:06 pm Post #112 - March 22nd, 2019, 1:06 pm
    Gulliver’s Pizza is apparently for sale, along with its decor. Will someone please buy it so it stays open?

https://estatesales.org/estate-sales/il ... or-1629647

We were just there last Friday night, and I wish it had been more full.
  • Post #113 - March 27th, 2019, 1:36 pm
    Post #113 - March 27th, 2019, 1:36 pm Post #113 - March 27th, 2019, 1:36 pm
    This should be a Location of the Damned....
    Casual eatery Cravelane has shut its doors at 5051 Oakton St. - Skokie.

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/1/14/181 ... sures-2019
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #114 - March 27th, 2019, 4:37 pm
    Post #114 - March 27th, 2019, 4:37 pm Post #114 - March 27th, 2019, 4:37 pm
    e+o restaurant in Randhurst Village has closed, and the owner is reconcepting it as Minta Restaurant and Social Lounge, featuring many of e+o's dishes plus while "adding an Eastern European flair"

It's set to open Saturday March 30.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #115 - March 28th, 2019, 4:34 am
    Post #115 - March 28th, 2019, 4:34 am Post #115 - March 28th, 2019, 4:34 am
    Sweet! Gayety's Chocolate & Ice Cream to return under new management
    It appeared to be the end of the nearly century-old ice cream parlor and gourmet chocolate shop, which had survived bankruptcy in 2015, the temporary closure of its Schererville location in 2013 and even the Great Depression.

But a new owner, who has a 30-year history with Gayety's, has taken over and plans to reopen the ice cream and chocolate shop at 3306 Ridge Rd in downtown Lansing. The Schererville Gayety's in the Town Square Shopping Center on Indianapolis Boulevard and Main Street will remain closed

USA Today named Gayety's one of the top 50 ice cream parlors in the country and the best in Illinois. Its hand-dipped chocolate was sold at fancy hotels in downtown Chicago like the Four Seasons and the Ritz Carlton, as well as online internationally to customers in places like Costa Rica and Mexico.
  • Post #116 - March 29th, 2019, 6:27 am
    Post #116 - March 29th, 2019, 6:27 am Post #116 - March 29th, 2019, 6:27 am
    Chicago restaurant group behemoth Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises is adding to its growing family of Japanese-style restaurants once again in Streeterville. Mr. Maki is slated to open later this spring at 676 N. St. Clair Street, not far from sister restaurants Ramen-san and Sushi-san.

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/3/28/182 ... eeterville
  • Post #117 - April 2nd, 2019, 12:35 pm
    Post #117 - April 2nd, 2019, 12:35 pm Post #117 - April 2nd, 2019, 12:35 pm
    Shuttered -- at least for now -- Falcon Eddy's at 825 Church St. -- which put up the kraft paper on the windows last week. The restaurant, which opened last year, had cut back its hours to just three days a week recently.
    Too bad, if permanent.
    http://evanstonnow.com/story/business/bill-smith/2019-04-02/81796/food-beat-coming-and-going
  • Post #118 - April 2nd, 2019, 2:20 pm
    Post #118 - April 2nd, 2019, 2:20 pm Post #118 - April 2nd, 2019, 2:20 pm
    Dave148 wrote:This should be a Location of the Damned....
    Casual eatery Cravelane has shut its doors at 5051 Oakton St. - Skokie.

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/1/14/181 ... sures-2019

Well, I give them credit for hanging on for a year. That location, tucked into the corner hardly visible from the Oakton/Lincoln intersection and no parking certainly didn't help.
  • Post #119 - April 2nd, 2019, 9:05 pm
    Post #119 - April 2nd, 2019, 9:05 pm Post #119 - April 2nd, 2019, 9:05 pm
    News about the Oak Tree at 900 N. Michigan.
    Pithy quote here.
  • Post #120 - April 3rd, 2019, 10:58 am
    Post #120 - April 3rd, 2019, 10:58 am Post #120 - April 3rd, 2019, 10:58 am
    The chef and owner of two adored Italian restaurants in Lincoln Park has opened a new Northern Italian eatery in Fulton Market. Riccardo Michi launched Riccardo Osteria in late March and is serving country fare on the corner of Lake & Carpenter at 1023 W. Lake Street.

https://chicago.eater.com/2019/4/3/1829 ... restaurant

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more